Diamond Member

Default Microsoft Security Essentials loses AV-Test certificate

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...st-certificate

I hope an upgrade is on its way soon!
Chiefcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Scouzer
Lifer

Not a surprise... MSE is a pretty terrible product.
Scouzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouzer View Post
Not a surprise... MSE is a pretty terrible product.
So terrible my PC came up clean even via Eset AV online scanner (they make NOD32),btw good thread at OCUK on MSE http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...1#post23279856 .

Last edited by Mem; 12-01-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
MadScientist
Golden Member

So is Windows Defender in Win 8 that replaced MSE an upgraded version of MSE or the same repackaged???

Did a little searching and found this:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/sec...-features/7900

It states that "This version of Windows Defender will also have improved performance and a smaller memory/CPU footprint." Versus what, the old Defender, which was worthless, or MSE???

And this:
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8...out-of-the-box
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, i5-2500K @4.6 Ghz, 1.340V, Lian Li PC-7A Plus, Corsair A70, Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB, 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 @1.575V,Seasonic M12II 620W PSU, MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Samsung SH-S223B, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Last edited by MadScientist; 12-01-2012 at 11:06 AM.
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
MustISO
Lifer

It's fine for very basic protection but as the tests show it's detection and clean rate is pretty poor. I recommended it when it first came out but haven't in a very long time. Avast is usually my go-to for free AV.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
colonelciller

they spent $1.5 billion on advertising windows 8 and yet they are letting the antivirus go to waste?

it kinda looks like they aren't taking security seriously... or could this be one more move towards 'souring the milk' on windows 7?

* DirectX 11.1 (not in 7)
* Taking Bulit in security seriously (not in 7?)
* What's next?
colonelciller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Steltek
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelciller View Post
they spent $1.5 billion on advertising windows 8 and yet they are letting the antivirus go to waste?

it kinda looks like they aren't taking security seriously... or could this be one more move towards 'souring the milk' on windows 7?

* DirectX 11.1 (not in 7)
* Taking Bulit in security seriously (not in 7?)
* What's next?
Microsoft has always had ADD related to consumer security stuff. They'll act like they are getting serious about it for a time, then their attention flags and the products will totally disappear.

In short, business as usual. . . .

Last edited by Steltek; 12-12-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Steltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
IlllI
Diamond Member

i got a chuckle out of this
IlllI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
FalseChristian
Diamond Member

That makes me feel great. Now I'm scared shitless about malware and viruses that MSE can't deal with. Ignorance is (was?) bliss.
Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (45x100) 1.350v-Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 (BIOS 3402)-16GB Kingston VR DDR3-1333Mhz @ 1600MHz 1.65v-2 EVGA GTX 760 2GB (1212/7600) ACX-750w Cooler Master GXII-RealTek on-board sound-Intel Onboard 1Gb Ethernet-Rogers Cable Internet 6.6MB/second-2TB Seagate 7200 SATA 6 HD-3TB SeaGate USB 3.0 EHD-22" Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW 1680x1050 67Htz-Windows 7 HP 64-bit SP1
FalseChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
nemesismk2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefcrowe View Post
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...st-certificate

I hope an upgrade is on its way soon!
thanks for the info
nemesismk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
nemesismk2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustISO View Post
It's fine for very basic protection but as the tests show it's detection and clean rate is pretty poor. I recommended it when it first came out but haven't in a very long time. Avast is usually my go-to for free AV.
I would never use avast for the simple (wrong) reason it sounds like it's something to do with pirates lol

I live on the coast so avast me hearties i don't do pirates
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
colonelciller

is anything better than Kasperskey?
colonelciller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
vailr
Diamond Member

Avira Free Antivirus 2013 new version 13.0.0.2890 just released; now with Windows 8 compatability:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avira_Free...irus_d955.html

vailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Dstoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailr View Post
Avira Free Antivirus 2013 new version 13.0.0.2890 just released; now with Windows 8 compatability:
I dumped Avira when they started putting in those nagging advertisement boxes in the corner that *steal focus from all other programs*. The once-a-day splash screen was tolerable, my AV stealing program focus to advertise to me every 30 minutes causing some fullscreen apps to crash? No thanks.

Their official response? Not a bug, buy the full version!

The other thing to keep in mind from the article is that MSE's score was only .5 points below certification, and it lost most of its points due to lack of detection on zero-day threats. Zero-day threats only stay "zero-day" for between a day and a week before all major AV products have updated detection signatures for that threat. Could you make an argument that zero-day threats are the most important part of AV? Sure, but i'd say the counter argument in this case is that practically every zero-day threat is detected by some AVs and not by others, and which AVs detect each new threat is completely different. They all miss stuff, none of them are perfect, and it only makes sense that the dedicated AV research firms like Kaspersky and Norton/Symantec are better at catching more of those zero-day threats than a side-project of Microsoft. The rest of them are simply a definition update away from catching the latest threats, and these benchmark test scores can shift drastically from week to week depending on when they test and how they choose to test with *all* products tested.

For those serious power users doing all sorts of online banking, shopping, and potentially unsafe browsing, yeah, they should probably have some sort of paid-for protection. For keeping grandma's PC safe while she browses allrecipes.com and plays solitaire? There's still nothing wrong with MSE.

Last edited by Dstoop; 12-12-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Dstoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailr View Post
Panda Cloud Antivirus free version is better then Avira,works with Win8 x64 etc...

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/forHome/
Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
ketchup79
Diamond Member

As I age, I start laughing at myself for listening to all the crap about 'this AV is better protection' or 'this one caught 2% more viruses than that one.'

I haven't had a virus in forever. Why? I don't download questionable material. I don't go to questionable sites. I don't open emails from people I don't know or don't expect to receive email from.

It's not really that hard.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup79 View Post
As I age, I start laughing at myself for listening to all the crap about 'this AV is better protection' or 'this one caught 2% more viruses than that one.'

I haven't had a virus in forever. Why? I don't download questionable material. I don't go to questionable sites. I don't open emails from people I don't know or don't expect to receive email from.

I think a lot of people use common sense however some don't ,however AV is just another added layer of protection/security,also remember some AVs have lighter footprints(use less resources) then others so its not all about detection rates,as a gamer myself this is an important aspect with regards to using low resources.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post
I think a lot of people use common sense however some don't ,however AV is just another added layer of protection/security,also remember some AVs have lighter footprints(use less resources) then others so its not all about detection rates,as a gamer myself this is an important aspect with regards to using low resources.
Yes, this is why I switched to Microsoft this year. I used Avira for years, but it kept getting bulkier and bulkier.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup79 View Post

I don't drive fast and practice defensive driving but I'm damn glad that I have airbags and seatbelts!

(Point being: All it takes is one wrong click, especially by someone else using your PC (like my children)).

Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue!!!

"Opportunities look a lot like work" - Ashton Kutcher
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
I don't drive fast and practice defensive driving but I'm damn glad that I have airbags and seatbelts!

(Point being: All it takes is one wrong click, especially by someone else using your PC (like my children)).
That's why I have a virtual machine, and a user password. But I do see your point.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #21
rsutoratosu
Platinum Member

Any other w8 av to recommend ?
rsutoratosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
ZimZum
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post
Panda Cloud Antivirus free version is better then Avira,works with Win8 x64 etc...

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/forHome/

Panda and pretty much any cloud based AV is light enough on resources that there is really no excuse for not using it on top of whatever AV you currently have.

Last edited by ZimZum; 12-14-2012 at 06:55 PM.
ZimZum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
GrumpyMan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post

That's why I only allow my kids to be on the Guest account on my computer, which is locked down tight.
GrumpyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
Chiefcrowe
Diamond Member

Microsoft Security Essentials Fails Antivirus Certification Test For Second Time In A Row; Microsoft Disputes The Results

http://www.ibtimes.com/microsoft-sec...osoft-disputes
Chiefcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #25
nemesismk2
Diamond Member

thanks for the info chief