· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #226
techs
Lifer

I bet Tom Brady can't wait to play this guy.

Brady: "Hey, Manti, we're running right"
Manti: "Thanks"
Brady "Moron"
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #227
AstroManLuca
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito Corleone View Post
A South Bend newspaper article (now pulled from their website) described several meetings. It appears his father was the source for the article, and thus he presumably described the meetings to his dad. Apparently his teammates also thought he had met the girl at least once.
They changed the web address of the article but didn't pull it. Here's the article:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news...,1490151.story
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #228
Gigantopithecus
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techs View Post
I bet Tom Brady can't wait to play this guy.

Brady: "Hey, Manti, we're running right"
Manti: "Thanks"
Brady "Moron"
lol.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #229
crashtestdummy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK62 View Post
It's interesting because the long-term implications of this are really nothing. Te'o hasn't committed a crime, and he will still play in the NFL. People are captivated by it because it's just...so WEIRD.
Absolutely. The biggest change would have to do with where he gets drafted, but some team will eventually take a chance on him, and at that point it won't matter.

The interest, for me, is completely independent of actually football results. I'm much more interested in what drives someone to perpetrate a hoax like this (or conversely, how the world could be so dense as to believe it). I'm also enjoying the sense of betrayal so many seem to be feeling, when there's really no material difference to them whether this person was real or not.

It's a fun story. I'm by no means actually outraged, just fascinated.
crashtestdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #230
AstroManLuca
Lifer

Quote:
Right, it was his father that made those statements. For me, that doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm curious if Manti himself has ever publicly stated that he had met this supposed girl face to face.
He did tweet to her a few times before she "died," so we do at least know that her persona existed and wasn't invented after the fact.

Also, some of his teammates said that they knew about the girlfriend and were suspicious of her actually existing but never brought it up:

http://pepperonsports.tumblr.com/pos...dia-blew-it-up

Again, the question is how much did anyone know before the fake death? My guess is very little. People really don't care much about an amateur athlete's love life, so before it became a big story with her dying (on the same day as his grandmother no less), no one really took notice or reported on it.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #231
GagHalfrunt
Lifer

Quote:
I think it was the New York Giants who signed a lineman who had been convicted of sexual assault in college.

Its FOOTBALL baby. Just win at all costs.

It's football, so different rules apply. You can be a criminal, you just can't be gay. They've got no problems with murderers like Ray Lewis, but there is not a single openly gay player in the NFL. That's why the ruse makes so much sense, he had to protect his draft position.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." - Thomas Paine The Age of Reason

http://www.golfbiztalk.com
GagHalfrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #232
AstroManLuca
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
Absolutely. The biggest change would have to do with where he gets drafted, but some team will eventually take a chance on him, and at that point it won't matter.

The interest, for me, is completely independent of actually football results. I'm much more interested in what drives someone to perpetrate a hoax like this (or conversely, how the world could be so dense as to believe it). I'm also enjoying the sense of betrayal so many seem to be feeling, when there's really no material difference to them whether this person was real or not.

Me too. The biggest aspect of this story, to me, is how WRONG the media got things. They didn't bother to do any fact checking at all. That and the fact that this story was arguably responsible for his Heisman run (and was most likely a factor in his receiving other NCAA awards).
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #233
Fern
Elite Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported View Post
-snip-

Funny but weird.
Quote:
@LennayKay
My statement: This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but I have been told by Alabama's offense that Manti Te'o is not real.

Fern
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #234
KeithTalent
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroManLuca View Post
Me too. The biggest aspect of this story, to me, is how WRONG the media got things. They didn't bother to do any fact checking at all. That and the fact that this story was arguably responsible for his Heisman run (and was most likely a factor in his receiving other NCAA awards).
Listening to some of the reporters (the SI guy who did a cover story on Teo was on DP show this morning) they actually did look into a few things, but even when they came back empty, they decided to ignore it. His explanation sounded sort of reasonable, but it obviously looks terrible now.

KT
KeithTalent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #235
DougK62
Diamond Member

Am I the only one here that thinks he wasn't involved with the hoax? Right now I'm just not seeing any conclusive evidence and feel kinda sorry for the kid.
DougK62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #236
Deeko
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHa ShIzNiT View Post
a lot of people dont care. but it seems the majority of the people do, as this is one of the most popular sports stories in a long time. personally, I am completely enthralled by it. I'm on pins and needles to hear more. But that could be due to the fact that I'm at work, and anything remotely interesting will draw my attention.
I was referring mainly to the fact that we had a similar enough story here on AT....
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #237
KeithTalent
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Am I the only one here that thinks he wasn't involved with the hoax? Right now I'm just not seeing any conclusive evidence and feel kinda sorry for the kid.
You sound like Pete Thamel: http://www.danpatrick.com/2013/01/17...-by-teo-story/

KT
Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #238
BergeLSU

Quote:

These things drive the offseason.

Last year we had Bobby Petrino and the Willie Lyles stuff.
The year before we had Cam Newton, the bag man, and LSU had Jordan Jefferson kicking a dude in the face.
BergeLSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #239
crashtestdummy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pretty much. Over the course of three years, he can't figure out that she's not there? He doesn't try to visit her after the car crash, the leukemia diagnosis, or her funeral? He never tries to meet up with her when he goes to play Stanford? They have a long distance relationship, but never used Skype?

There is just no way he didn't spend most of that time as part of this whole deal.
crashtestdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #240
KeithTalent
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Pretty much. Over the course of three years, he can't figure out that she's not there? He doesn't try to visit her after the car crash, the leukemia diagnosis, or her funeral? He never tries to meet up with her when he goes to play Stanford? They have a long distance relationship, but never used Skype?

There is just no way he didn't spend most of that time as part of this whole deal.
Agreed and if somehow, magically he was not involved, he must be the dumbest, most gullible person alive.

KT
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #241
GagHalfrunt
Lifer

Quote:
Am I the only one here that thinks he wasn't involved with the hoax?
Yes.

Going on for too long, too many chances to meet, too many family members involved in the lie.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." - Thomas Paine The Age of Reason

http://www.golfbiztalk.com
GagHalfrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #242
Drako
Diamond Member

LOL

http://gawker.com/5976782/how-to-tel...=recirculation
Drako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #243
thegimp03
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drako View Post
Awesome.
thegimp03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #244
Don Vito Corleone
Elite

Quote:
Right, it was his father that made those statements. For me, that doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm curious if Manti himself has ever publicly stated that he had met this supposed girl face to face.
He said it, and apparently described the meetings in detail, to his father, hence their inclusion in that article (unless you're adopting the theory that his father and/or made that up).

"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" - Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI
Don Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #245
AstroManLuca
Lifer

Quote:
Here you go:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...d-hoax-quotes/

These are actual quotes taken from an interview by Sports Illustrated of him, not his dad.

Most of the interview he's talking about how he used to talk with her on the phone, but he does say at some point that he did meet her in person:

Quote:
SI: Where did you meet her in California?
TE'O: She actually came to one of the games. She saw me at one of the games.
SI: October 15, I assume is USC?
TE'O: That was in November. But she saw me at the USC game of my sophomore year. We were still just friends, we were acquaintances.
So at the very least, he lied about meeting her in person at some point.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #246
techs
Lifer

Quote:
Here you go:

These are actual quotes taken from an interview by Sports Illustrated of him, not his dad.

Most of the interview he's talking about how he used to talk with her on the phone, but he does say at some point that he did meet her in person:

He didn't say they met. He said she came to a game, at least according to what you posted. Maybe its in the article.....

After listening to Mike Golic the ex nfl player and now broadcaster who has two sons playing football for Notre Dame and who has spent time with many on the team the general consensus is Manti is an immature guy who liked the attention. It sounds like a story that "grew in the telling". At some point he felt he needed to get out of it as it was hard to keep it up and he invented the death.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #247
SphinxnihpS
Diamond Member

See what floss started. Ban him again!
SphinxnihpS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #248
techs
Lifer

Is it a crime to kill your imaginary girlfriend?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #249
DougK62
Diamond Member

Quote:
Here you go:

Quote:
SI: Where did you meet her in California?
TE'O: She actually came to one of the games. She saw me at one of the games.
SI: October 15, I assume is USC?
TE'O: That was in November. But she saw me at the USC game of my sophomore year. We were still just friends, we were acquaintances.
Interesting. Reading that quote sounds like some very careful wordsmithing on Manti's part. He doesn't say that they met. He says that she came to a game and that SHE saw HIM, which could certainly mean no face to face meeting. Maybe she just told him that she was there and watched him play?
DougK62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #250
benzylic
Golden Member

Quote:
He didn't say they met. He said she came to a game, at least according to what you posted. Maybe its in the article.....

After listening to Mike Golic the ex nfl player and now broadcaster who has two sons playing football for Notre Dame and who has spent time with many on the team the general consensus is Manti is an immature guy who liked the attention. It sounds like a story that "grew in the telling". At some point he felt he needed to get out of it as it was hard to keep it up and he invented the death.
Was that said on his radio show? Is there a link for that somewhere?
benzylic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lying liar lied