· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
computerbuildin

Default Should I be concerned about this odd error?

Since last night, my PC has been completely fine, running how it usually does. Shut it down, its fine. So about 20 minutes ago, I got home, and turned my computer on. Normally id expect it booting up fine. But instead for some reason my monitors didn't come out of standby and my computer actually stayed on for maybe 10 seconds. Normally I wouldn't see that as a post failure. All computers ive had and any other post failures ive seen just turn on, then back off within like a second or 2. Mine did turn itself back on, like what happens when post fails, and then my computer said an error ive never seen before, without even going to the splash screen. From my memory, it said something like. "Due to recent changes in the BIOS, the computer has failed the POST test, would you like to go to BIOS to change things back, or boot in?" Im guessing this is part of the watchdog setting in bios? Anyway that was, well really random because you wouldn't even believe how paranoid I am about making changes to my computer. I never go into the bios, why did I get a K chip? well I figured id get out of my paranoia later on. I went into the bios and noticed everything is how it should be, so why did this happen? I just exited and my computer booted into windows fine. I was still confused, but I checked the system event viewer. I looked up within the last hour and all I could find that looked like an error said this. "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected." What?
Intel DP67BG | Intel i5 2500k at 4.1 GHz | XFX 7970 DD Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600 MHz(Blue) | Corsair AX850 Gold | Samsung 840 PRO 256gb | WD Blue 500gb | NZXT Phantom | Coolermaster V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
my name borat and I think this is very lucrative gypsy business.
computerbuildin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
corkyg
Peripherals

Sounds like somehow your system got infected with a Trojan or other malware.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
computerbuildin

Hmm, well. You were right on the virus/trojan part. Just did a full scan and turns out I got a trojan dropper. According to norton, it says that its been fully removed along with any files it could have possibly created. You may have been right about the virus part, but how could this virus even mess around with the bios? I've heard of insane viruses that go real deep, but this wasn't one of them.
Intel DP67BG | Intel i5 2500k at 4.1 GHz | XFX 7970 DD Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600 MHz(Blue) | Corsair AX850 Gold | Samsung 840 PRO 256gb | WD Blue 500gb | NZXT Phantom | Coolermaster V8
Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
denis280
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerbuildin View Post
You may have been right about the virus part, but how could this virus even mess around with the bios? I've heard of insane viruses that go real deep, but this wasn't one of them.
They do
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
mlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerbuildin View Post
but how could this virus even mess around with the bios? I've heard of insane viruses that go real deep, but this wasn't one of them.
look at it this way... if you can flash your BIOS from within windows, which we know you can, then it makes sense that virus can also access and attack your bios in the same way..
ASUS EAH6850
X-FI Extreme Music Sound Card
Zalman 9700 HSF
mlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
computerbuildin

Either way, i think it could be gone. But i just found it odd nothing changed. Or the bios was just corrupted. I hope not.
Quote: