· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
dj10fld

Default Monitor Repair Issue

I just recently came into possession of a Samsung LED monitor with a broken power connector. I was told if i could fix it it would be mine. I was able to open up the monitor remove the connector and just hard wired (i.e. soldered) the power connector to the board as there was only 2 wires (assuming 1 positive and 1 negative). I soldered the negative to the ground and positive to VCC1. The monitor works. However I am concerned about safety. As long as no water or moisture gets in. And there are no shorts wiring as far as I know. I want to know are there any fire hazards in what I just did. is the current high enough to spark a fire in these monitors.
dj10fld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
imagoon
Diamond Member

Maybe dab it with a sealer but as long as the solder work done well I would expect it to be fine. If you did a shoddy job, then likely not.
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Harvey
Administrator
Elite Member

Did the monitor come with a three wire AC power connector like this?

Most contemporary monitors use this kind of three wire connector and an AC power cord with the appropriate plug for the region (U.S., Europe, etc.). The middle connector is chassis ground. The other two are hot and common.

If that's what your monitor had, and you want to solder the AC wires directly to the circuit board, you need to know which of the remaining wires is hot and which is common. A better solution would be to find an electromechanical replacement AC receptical and solder it back into the circuit board. That will automatically keep everything polarized the way it was intended.

These sockets should be inexpensive (a couple of bucks) and not hard to find at any electronic parts store. Assuming it's PC mounted, you want to ask for an EIC AC receptical. The most common difference between the ones you'll find is whether they're straight or right angle mounted.

Good luck.

There are traitors and terrorists among us. They call themselves "Republicans." They are a greater threat to the U.S. than Al Qaeda and all the Al Qaeda wannabes. They have infested our democratic institutions with the sole objective of thwarting the will of the majority of our citizens.

And Whos's Watching Over Who's Watching Over You?
Tell me, who's telling who's telling you what to do what to do?

Last edited by Harvey; 01-16-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
dj10fld

It didnt come with AC Power. The AC Power is connected to an external power supply. The connector I removed was a DC connector (14 V @ 2.14A/30 W). The connector had 4 pins soldered to the board (1 was VCC1 = power and 3 were ground all connected in series..for each external side of the connector). What I would like to know is does the connector offer some sort of circuit protection, because from my view it doesn't (just a plastic connector that houses the spades and pins that solder to the board.
dj10fld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
C1
Golden Member

No big deal. That kind of setup is for convenience of detaching the PS from the display screen for portability. The main thing is to ensure that the power cord is reinforced at the screen body entrance so it is not easily separated (ie, pulled away) from the internal circuit board. Generally this is done by creating or tying the cord into knot on the inside of the case so that it cannot pull thru the case. This, of course, guards against pull stress on the inside solder attachment points.
C1 is offline   Reply With Quote