Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Console Gaming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #201
Drako
Diamond Member
 
Drako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, USA
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
MS isn't going up against just Sony this time. Their second rate service for insanely high cost isn't going to cut it against Valve.
Quoted for the Lulz
Drako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #202
Tweak155
Diamond Member
 
Tweak155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
It's amazing how hard the XBox lunatics deflect the fact that this is supposed to be about next gen, and that puts them head to head with Steam. Vastly superior functionality, service and it's free. I know, they will go off on some random rant about how the tried a whole three games and are some sort of experts(I almost spit soda all over my monitor when I read that, holy ignorant) and we can't use Steam because, because..... MOMMY THE BAD MAN DOESN'T LIKE MY XBOX!!!!!!

MS isn't going up against just Sony this time. Their second rate service for insanely high cost isn't going to cut it against Valve.
So because I prefer XBox, I'm a lunatic? I just think it's better. And if $35 /yr is an insanely high cost you shouldn't own a gaming system to begin with.
__________________
Organo Gold Coffee

Heatware 92-0-0
Tweak155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #203
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
It's amazing how hard the XBox lunatics deflect the fact that this is supposed to be about next gen, and that puts them head to head with Steam. Vastly superior functionality, service and it's free. I know, they will go off on some random rant about how the tried a whole three games and are some sort of experts(I almost spit soda all over my monitor when I read that, holy ignorant) and we can't use Steam because, because..... MOMMY THE BAD MAN DOESN'T LIKE MY XBOX!!!!!!

MS isn't going up against just Sony this time. Their second rate service for insanely high cost isn't going to cut it against Valve.
can you elaborate on how xbox360 is directly competing with steam.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #204
Drako
Diamond Member
 
Drako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, USA
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
can you elaborate on how xbox360 is directly competing with steam.
I believe he is referencing the "Steam Box" which is rumored to be coming out this year?

Prototype:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849...-steam-box-xi3

Last edited by Drako; 01-15-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Drako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #205
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drako View Post
I believe he is referencing the "Steam Box" which is rumored to be coming out this year?

Prototype:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849...-steam-box-xi3
that's great and all, but we're talking about xbox360 and ps3, which are out right now and have been out the past 6+ years.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #206
DAPUNISHER
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
DAPUNISHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Rockledge, Fl
Posts: 19,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
I don't know anyone that did that!

*Hides his long-since-used HD-DVD drive.*

DAPUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #207
Drako
Diamond Member
 
Drako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, USA
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
that's great and all, but we're talking about xbox360 and ps3, which are out right now and have been out the past 6+ years.
I understand that, but he must somehow find any angle to rant about the INSANELY HIGH COST!

Drako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #208
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drako View Post
I understand that, but he must somehow find any angle to rant about the INSANELY HIGH COST!

heh, that's funny too if those prices on the links are indicative at all of the initial cost of the steambox, if that is what he was referring to.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #209
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 19,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
heh, that's funny too if those prices on the links are indicative at all of the initial cost of the steambox, if that is what he was referring to.
If that's the price, it won't sell. Can build faster PC for less money and just plug it into the TV and you can even use Windows and not be limited to Linux ports over Steam.
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #210
BenSkywalker
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,955
Default

..

Last edited by BenSkywalker; 01-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #211
Veliko
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
Would you pay $20 for a stick of bubble gum? I would say that is insanely high cost for such a thing. The reality is, however, that is *CLOSER* to price parity then what anyone of us would actually pay for gum then the difference in price between Steam and XBLG.

So why should the fact that Steam is going to have a NEXT GEN console matter in a thread about NEXT GEN online services for NEXT GEN consoles? Silly me, I'll go try three games and act like I know something about how the platforms compare, heh.
Let's wait until the Steam 'console' actually appears before trying to compare it to anything.

We can compare the upcoming Sony and MS systems because we have plenty of existing things to judge it on.
__________________
My books are available on Amazon or Pirate Bay.
Shades of Grey
Underneath
Jake

My website of hilarity
Veliko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #212
BenSkywalker
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,955
Default

..

Last edited by BenSkywalker; 01-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #213
Veliko
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
We know more about the Steam Box platform then we do about the PS4 and 720 combined.
Outstanding forumming there.

Try again, but this time don't ignore this bit:

Quote:
We can compare the upcoming Sony and MS systems because we have plenty of existing things to judge it on.
__________________
My books are available on Amazon or Pirate Bay.
Shades of Grey
Underneath
Jake

My website of hilarity
Veliko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #214
Drako
Diamond Member
 
Drako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, USA
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
Would you pay $20 for a stick of bubble gum? I would say that is insanely high cost for such a thing. The reality is, however, that is *CLOSER* to price parity then what anyone of us would actually pay for gum then the difference in price between Steam and XBLG.
Wow, buble gum, really?

Just out of curiosity, are you a time traveller

Can you tell us what the monthly price of Steam on the "Steam Box" and the price of XBLG on the "Nex Gen Xbox" will be? I'm assuming that you believe that there will be "no charge" on Steam? Those Valve guys just give things away becuase they are so good hearted
Drako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #215
BenSkywalker
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,955
Default

..

Last edited by BenSkywalker; 01-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #216
Veliko
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
Steam has been around longer, with more users then XBLG. They have already launched their next gen interface- Big Picture Mode. Valve has released *FAR* more information about the Steam Box *and* their online services then Sony or MS have about the PS4/720 respectively.
Steam was released in 2003 and Xbox Live was released in 2002.

Once again, Steam Box hasn't existed anywhere yet. Sony and MS's iterations have been around for over a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
You really want to go into who offers the best gaming value? That isn't the topic of this thread, but to say Valve violently sodomizes MS or Sony in that aspect is being kind.
Really?

I may have bought Arkham City for 5 in the Steam sale, but I still need a system to play it on.

Something that Valve don't provide.

They are different services.
__________________
My books are available on Amazon or Pirate Bay.
Shades of Grey
Underneath
Jake

My website of hilarity
Veliko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #217
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,692
Default

comparing xbl to ps+ is comparing apples to orangse, and now xbl is being compared to steam?

thats like comparing apples to toyotas.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #218
clok1966
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West Fargo ND
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
comparing xbl to ps+ is comparing apples to orangse, and now xbl is being compared to steam?

thats like comparing apples to toyotas.
but that's what the net is for, call people names that don't like what you do, feel no matter what argument they have that your right.. if we had to think logically, talk like the guy on the other side of the screen is in the same room.. bah what fun would that be?
__________________


<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=29525">HEAT</a>
clok1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #219
smackababy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 18,513
Default

Has there been any real announcements as to what the Steam Box will be and what services it will offer? If not, there is no comparison. XBL is real and Steam Box is vaporware as of right now. I'm sure it will come boxed with a copy of HL3.
__________________
Heatware; eBay under uoislame
------------------------
"F the police, but whose stopping you from killing me?" - Chuck D
------------------------
XBL: the wrong panda
smackababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #220
TheSlamma
Diamond Member
 
TheSlamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,000
Default

Sounds like Gamespot should stop being read.
TheSlamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #221
BenSkywalker
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,955
Default

..

Last edited by BenSkywalker; 01-22-2013 at 08:26 PM.
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #222
Veliko
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
Where could I buy my Gold membership in 2002?
From Microsoft. Xbox Live has never been free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
That changes the online business model and what level of value it has? My pointing out a Veyron is faster then a Vette isn't changed in the slightest by the price difference between them.
The Veyron and the Vette are both luxury cars.

Xbox Live and Steam are not the same thing.
__________________
My books are available on Amazon or Pirate Bay.
Shades of Grey
Underneath
Jake

My website of hilarity
Veliko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #223
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
Comparing an on line gaming service to an online gaming service, the audacity of it!
that is where you are wrong.

you don't need ps+ to play games online on the ps3. you need xbox live gold to play online on xbox360.

you don't buy ps+ because you want to play games online. you do buy xbox live gold because you want to play games online.

and yeah, xbox live has been around way before the xbox 360 was even a concept.

next time when you talk about things for the first time, you should do a little bit of research.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #224
sourceninja
Diamond Member
 
sourceninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,922
Default

I told a few friends last night I didn't renew my xbox live gold and they simply couldn't wrap their brains around it.

I asked them the last time we played a game online with each other. The answer was "well never I usually come over and we system link, but it's only 50 bucks..."
sourceninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #225
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourceninja View Post
I told a few friends last night I didn't renew my xbox live gold and they simply couldn't wrap their brains around it.

I asked them the last time we played a game online with each other. The answer was "well never I usually come over and we system link, but it's only 50 bucks..."
mine expired the 13th of this month. i haven't renewed it yet. i'm sure next time i want to play a game online though i'll grab a year card and go to town. just been busy with other stuff but am almost done with that, and will be back online whooping up on some ssf4ae on the 10' screen!
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.