· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #301
techie81

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrByte View Post
OK a real plan is beginning to take shape from our Administration

The vice president said earlier that "an emerging set of recommendations" focuses on launching "universal" background checks, restricting high-capacity magazines and allowing federal agencies to do more research on gun violence.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2Hc7ocl8W

Universal background Checks
restricting high capacity mags
MORE GUN SAFETY RESEARCH

I'm liking the plan so far...Seems to me the 2nd Amendment is and always has been, safe.
So really its like living in CA because we have to do all the stuff already.
techie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #302
Matt1970
Lifer

Quote:

The vice president said earlier that "an emerging set of recommendations" focuses on launching "universal" background checks, restricting high-capacity magazines and allowing federal agencies to do more research on gun violence.

MORE GUN SAFETY RESEARCH

I'm liking the plan so far...Seems to me the 2nd Amendment is and always has been, safe.
Well there ya go.

Universal background Checks - We already have the Brady Bill
restricting high capacity mags - We did that for 10 years, didn't help much
MORE GUN SAFETY RESEARCH - Mass shooting are not the result of unsafe gun use.

Pass a bunch of useless laws that doesn't address the problem and just sweeps it under the rug, then make it look like you did everything you could for political purposes.
Matt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #303
monovillage
Diamond Member

Quote:

MORE GUN SAFETY RESEARCH

From your link:
Quote:
"Vice President Biden would do well to read the 2nd Amendment and revisit the meaning of the phrase 'shall not be infringed,'" Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., said in a statement. "Bypassing Congress to implement radical policies is never acceptable."
Doesn't sound like the Republicans and some pro-gun Democrats agree with you.
monovillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #304
Don Vito Corleone
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by monovillage View Post
From your link:

Doesn't sound like the Republicans and some pro-gun Democrats agree with you.
Those two quotes/articles are talking about two different things. The FN article is referring to recommendations that would presumably be implemented through legislative action, not executive order, and God knows there is nothing "radical" about the recommendations referenced in the FN article.

"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" - Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI
Don Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #305
spidey07
No Lifer

Magazine ban = he's trying to circumvent congress. It's a worthless ban anyway as the last one did nothing to reduce gun violence and only hurts legitimate defense uses.
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #306
Don Vito Corleone
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
Magazine ban = he's trying to circumvent congress. It's a worthless ban anyway as the last one did nothing to reduce gun violence and only hurts legitimate defense uses.
There is no reason to believe he is trying to implement such a ban by executive action. You guys are conflating two different concepts. I agree with you that the last magazine ban was pointless and this one would be too, for whatever that's worth.

"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" - Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI
Don Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #307
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:

MORE GUN SAFETY RESEARCH

1. "Universal background checks." I support in principle, but I doubt the government will implement properly.

2. Restricting standard-spec capacity magazines: The deadliest mass shooting in America (Virginia Tech) was done with one 10 round pistol and one 15 round pistol. There is no evidence that restricting high capacity magazines will do anything to stop or limit mass shootings.

3. More gun safety research. Good idea, just make sure it's fair and unbiased; because right now there's an epidemic of "study until we get the answer we want."

The second amendment would be safe if our lawmakers focused on solving problems as opposed to promoting cultural agendas. As it stands, this could very well be the first step in broader restrictions; as can be seen over the last week with states such as New York and New Jersey. They are among the seven states with the most draconian gun laws, and despite this status they are proposing further, severe restrictions on guns.

The agenda is clear, and frankly it saps my will to compromise.

Last edited by irishScott; 01-10-2013 at 04:52 PM.
irishScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #308
corwin
Diamond Member

Quote:

MORE GUN SAFETY RESEARCH

Hmm...so my biggest question would be who is NOT allowing them to do research?

Other than that they basically want to outlaw private sales of firearms and a pointless ban on high-cap magazines...don't really see either flying, not sure how private sales could be outlawed and the mag ban was is and always will be useless
Old 01-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #309
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Quote:
only hurts legitimate defense uses.
How many rounds do you need to protect yourself? Typically all it takes is 1 or 2 rounds to incapacitate an attacker. I feel quite safe with my 17 round Glock 17 or 13 round Baretta PX4 Storm. The highest capacity rifle I use for hunting is 5 rounds (Winchester Model 70).
Londo_Jowo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #310
corwin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londo_Jowo View Post
How many rounds do you need to protect yourself? Typically all it takes is 1 or 2 rounds to incapacitate an attacker. I feel quite safe with my 17 round Glock 17 or 13 round Baretta PX4 Storm. The highest capacity rifle I use for hunting is 5 rounds (Winchester Model 70).
You do know handgun magazines would be restricted as well right? This isn't just rifle magazines...
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #311
spidey07
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin View Post
You do know handgun magazines would be restricted as well right? This isn't just rifle magazines...
Yep.

Against 4+ attackers a rifle with 30 rounds is the best defense choice. Also a fine choice against tyranny. Defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #312
ultimatebob
Lifer

It's better than the crap that I see New York and Connecticut trying to do. One of the ideas I see being brandied about is requiring background checks before buying ammunition. Ugh, I can only imagine the bureaucratic nightmare that would be.
ultimatebob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #313
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Quote:
Yep.

Against 4+ attackers a rifle with 30 rounds is the best defense choice. Also a fine choice against tyranny. Defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.
Quit living in fantasy land. What are the odds you would face 4 + attackers?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #314
OrByte
Diamond Member

Quote:

Other than that they basically want to outlaw private sales of firearms and a pointless ban on high-cap magazines...don't really see either flying, not sure how private sales could be outlawed and the mag ban was is and always will be useless
there was actually a pretty thorough article about that a few weeks back and I'd like to find it again.

basically the CDC and other government agencies are no longer allowed to document gun safety measures and research. Another thing, funding for research was pulled...by the Republican congress of the late 90s.

Also - in some states (and in some current state bills) medical doctors are not allowed to document how gun safety (or lack of) may have contributed to a possible injury or outcome...or something along those lines I'm having a terrible memory lapse about that.

I will have to find that article

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections" - unknown
OrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #315
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Quote:
I understand that. My 1911 Colt only takes 5 rounds and I can still incapacitate an attacker in 1 to 2 rounds.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #316
OrByte
Diamond Member

Quote:

Here is a recent article that explains somewhat.

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-urg...194015136.html

and here is the important part that was passed by our congress in the late 90s

"None of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control,"

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections" - unknown
OrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #317
corwin
Diamond Member

Quote:
I understand that. My 1911 Colt only takes 5 rounds and I can still incapacitate an attacker in 1 to 2 rounds.
Just pointing out the little flaw in your post talking about not needing high-cap magazines then listing that's what you are comfortable with
Quote:
there was actually a pretty thorough article about that a few weeks back and I'd like to find it again.

basically the CDC and other government agencies are no longer allowed to document gun safety measures and research. Another thing, funding for research was pulled...by the Republican congress of the late 90s.

Also - in some states (and in some current state bills) medical doctors are not allowed to document how gun safety (or lack of) may have contributed to a possible injury or outcome...or something along those lines I'm having a terrible memory lapse about that.

I will have to find that article
I'd be curious as well, it sounds a little fishy to me...wanting "gun safety" has been used as cover for making guns effectively useless, kind of like how you used to have your gun disassembled and locked in a safe in DC, if you could even get a permit to own one
Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #318
corwin
Diamond Member

Quote:

"None of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control,"
Gun control != gun safety

I'd also like to add that even in the absence of this "gun safety" research gun crimes have been dropping for decades...the article linked mentions that homicide rates are the same as the 50's, they just fail to mention that is way down from what it was in the 80's

And that would be why these "studies" are opposed, they were being done with an agenda and distorting facts to get the results they wanted

Last edited by corwin; 01-10-2013 at 05:22 PM.
corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #319
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Quit living in fantasy land. What are the odds you would face 4 + attackers?
Depends on if you live in a Hurricane zone or not.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #320
Silver Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post
yeah, I know that's the problem, and that's why I pointed it out. Which is why I have my doubts about anything super significant happening.

as to the earlier hilarity:

are you honestly trying to claim that the use of "fuhrer" is completely general and innocent, and in no way is meant to liken Obama to Hitler?

why, exactly, do you think it is apt? What "fuhrer," outside of Hitler, in German history, was known for instituting nationalistic seizures of public property?

Honestly, the onus is on you to explain your assertion that the use of "fuhrer" is so apt. Please, enlighten us as to why the use of a particular german word, which in your mind never references Hitler, is so fucking "apt" at this moment? I am giddy with anticipation at this resounding history lesson with which you are about to distill upon us all.

But honestly, I know why you think it is apt. Your conservatard echo chamber is already tossing this shit out there.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...-gun?ref=fpblg
Crack is whack buddie, put the pipe down.
Silver Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #321
NoStateofMind
Diamond Member

So ahhhh where's Biden and Obama on the mental stability issue? Seems like this is at the heart of the past two mass shootings and I would think the President would want this addressed.

*Crickets*

"For this reason was the Son of God manifest, that God may be Glorified IN Him"...words from a dream
NoStateofMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #322
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:

Well that sounds stupid. Especially since a 2002 CDC report said this:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm
Quote:
The following laws were evaluated: bans on specified firearms or ammunition, restrictions on firearm acquisition, waiting periods for firearm acquisition, firearm registration and licensing of firearm owners, "shall issue" concealed weapon carry laws, child access prevention laws, zero tolerance laws for firearms in schools, and combinations of firearms laws. The Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes. (Note that insufficient evidence to determine effectiveness should not be interpreted as evidence of ineffectiveness.)
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #323
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Surgeon View Post
So ahhhh where's Biden and Obama on the mental stability issue? Seems like this is at the heart of the past two mass shootings and I would think the President would want this addressed.

*Crickets*
Oh it'll be given lip service and some money, but that's about it. Solving real problems always takes second fiddle to promoting cultural agendas.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #324
jstern01

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishScott View Post
38 years in Florida, been thru more hurricanes, tropical storms and tornadoes then most will ever face in a life time. And never even came close to need a assault weapon, even in Liberty City (probably the worst area in Miami) or Homestead in 1992. Look nobody is facing 4+ attackers unless they are a LEO or soldier, which means they would have a legitimate reason for such a weapon.

“I hope that we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.”
~ Thomas Jefferson
jstern01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #325
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishScott View Post
I do live in a hurricane zone and I never saw gangs of people roaming around. Maybe that was due to police and national guard presence after the hurricane struck