· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
berryracer
Golden Member

Question What do u think of this program - Simple Port Forwarding

I don't have an idea what is port forwarding, what is it used for, and how to do it...

is this good? what are the benefits / negatives?

I just installed it, if you want to have the program automatically add programs such as uTorrent for you you must purchase it for 12 USD which I did and it magically entered to my router settings page, added the ports and named them properly (uTorrent, iTunes, etc.)

I dont understand its benefits though
GPU: Dual GeForce GTX 770M SLI 6 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 2x Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA SSD
berryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Puppies04
Diamond Member

So you bought something without knowing what it does or how good it is at doing it then then ask about it on a forum.

Ok, LMGTFY

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+port+forwarding.
My weddding pic http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps224f2a90.png
Puppies04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Venom20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppies04 View Post
So you bought something without knowing what it does or how good it is at doing it then then ask about it on a forum.
^^ this

But seriously, why would you spend money on something you know nothing about? Also, why spend the money on something that literally takes less than 5 minutes to accomplish if/when you need it?
Venom20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
berryracer
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom20 View Post
^^ this

But seriously, why would you spend money on something you know nothing about? Also, why spend the money on something that literally takes less than 5 minutes to accomplish if/when you need it?
because in my first attempt to try Port forwarding I did not succeed when I was trying to find out which port I need to forward for uTorrent to work faster.

Secondly, I've seen how the program works, as in, how it magically logs u in your router setup page, then goes to the right section, then does all the hard work for you, really impressive, its all macro based but it works like a charm

12 USD is nothing why not support this great developer and save meh some headache since I know crap about networks
GPU: Dual GeForce GTX 770M SLI 6 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 2x Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA SSD
berryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
yinan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryracer View Post
because in my first attempt to try Port forwarding I did not succeed when I was trying to find out which port I need to forward for uTorrent to work faster.

Secondly, I've seen how the program works, as in, how it magically logs u in your router setup page, then goes to the right section, then does all the hard work for you, really impressive, its all macro based but it works like a charm

12 USD is nothing why not support this great developer and save meh some headache since I know crap about networks
If you are doing stuff like this, then you should learn about networks.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
GrumpyMan
Diamond Member

Which port is your Microsoft Security Essentials using? I'm trying to figure mine out.
GrumpyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
yinan
Golden Member

I think it goes out and talks to other servers port 80. The port it actually opens to go to the servers port 80 is probably dynamic. But if you really want to find out Wireshark is your friend.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't have an idea what is port forwarding, what is it used for, and how to do it...

is this good? what are the benefits / negatives?

I just installed it, if you want to have the program automatically add programs such as uTorrent for you you must purchase it for 12 USD which I did and it magically entered to my router settings page, added the ports and named them properly (uTorrent, iTunes, etc.)

I dont understand its benefits though
You need to understand the basics of networking and how NAT and PAT works to get what it does which should take anyone with a little technical knowledge a whole 15 minutes to figure out. And since it's macro based and almost all SOHO routers have slightly different interfaces it'll probably stop working if you ever upgrade the firmware on your router or replace it.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
MadScientist
Golden Member

Free Guides
http://portforward.com/routers.htm
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, i5-2500K @4.6 Ghz, 1.340V, Lian Li PC-7A Plus, Corsair A70, Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB, 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 @1.575V,Seasonic M12II 620W PSU, MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Samsung SH-S223B, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Venom20

Quote:

1) utorrent (to the best of my knowledge) will use a random port every time you install it. Your best bet is to check your settings (in utorrent), it is right there. To this, you may run into open random ports in your router (highly insecure)

2) There is no magic. It logs in and enters a string of numbers that takes as I have said, literally less than 5 minutes to complete. Especially if you bothered to read any supporting documentation about your router

3) $12 usd is more than many people make in an hour. It may be better being donated to a homeless shelter or food bank, than to save you 5 minutes of work when you install something new.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom20 View Post
1) utorrent (to the best of my knowledge) will use a random port every time you install it. Your best bet is to check your settings (in utorrent), it is right there. To this, you may run into open random ports in your router (highly insecure)

2) There is no magic. It logs in and enters a string of numbers that takes as I have said, literally less than 5 minutes to complete. Especially if you bothered to read any supporting documentation about your router

3) $12 usd is more than many people make in an hour. It may be better being donated to a homeless shelter or food bank, than to save you 5 minutes of work when you install something new.
1) Yes and it also supports UPnP so in theory it can setup the forwards on it's own upon startup if your router does UPnP as well.

2) Pretty much.

3) So? It's his money to spend how he pleases.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Venom20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
3) So? It's his money to spend how he pleases.
True true, just seems a waste to me. I figured if he's going to waste it, may as well waste it in a productive manor.

I apologize for the money comment.