· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #26
power_hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelciller View Post

Windows 8 is being adopted abysmally slow. Microsoft is spinning it heavy but the numbers are worse than compared to the Vista launch.
Good. The guts are improved but the interface is a piece of shit. But I think the slow adoption is more about Windows 7 being a very decent OS.
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #27
LumbergTech
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_hour View Post
Good. The guts are improved but the interface is a piece of shit. But I think the slow adoption is more about Windows 7 being a very decent OS.
That is exactly it. I have no reason to switch from 7. I am not unhappy with the experience I am getting now and 8 in no way compels me to move. I know it has improved on certain under the hood stuff, but I could care less about its stupid interface. I click some icons and use my programs. I don't like you obscuring my relationship with my files. I want to edit them. I want to open them. I want to close them. I don't care about what fancy schmancy tiles you can dress them up in..its a waste of my time.
LumbergTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #28
bigrash
Lifer

I hate Metro. I can see how it can work well on a touchscreen, but I hate it.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelciller View Post

Windows 8 is being adopted abysmally slow. Microsoft is spinning it heavy but the numbers are worse than compared to the Vista launch.
And yet... http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/b...nses-sold.aspx
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
dighn
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
how much of that is OEM? new computers aren't gonna ship with anything but the latest version of Windows. also the reasonably priced upgrade ($15 to $40) also helped to offset the drawbacks.

Last edited by dighn; 01-08-2013 at 05:16 PM.
dighn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #31
Zxian

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/04/u...indows-8-deal/

And yet, the DoD is backing Windows8 right off the bat.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxian View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/04/u...indows-8-deal/

And yet, the DoD is backing Windows8 right off the bat.
Which is terrible for completely unrelated reasons.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #33
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Wow I can't imagine a serious operation like DoD having a fisher price OS on it's computers lol. I would expect them to have some custom in house OS that is completely undisclosed.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Wow I can't imagine a serious operation like DoD having a fisher price OS on it's computers lol. I would expect them to have some custom in house OS that is completely undisclosed.
There's nothing wrong with Win8 per se. The problem is people, and especially governments, and REALLY especially the defense branches of government shouldn't be beholden to private corporations. If they used libre software, anyone can write code for it, and it could be contracted out to the lowest bidder, or it could be done in-house. With proprietary code, only the original manufacturer can provide support.

Changing to a different brand of rifle is trivial compared to swapping out core infrastructure that may have been in place for 10+ years. They become locked in to one manufacturer, and that's bad for security, and the people paying the bills(me and you).
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #35
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Yeah exactly, I would think they'd want to have 100% knowledge and control of what is REALLY going on in the background. I would expect them to be using some extremely customized and practically rewritten version of Linux.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #36
HeXen
Diamond Member

Which can sometimes be more expensive in the long run to contract out and recieve support. Reminds me of when my friends dad contracted out to the lowest bidder to create a series of tools and software for his robotics company which itself is constantly changing, in the long run he lost thousands due to support and maintanence of those open source tools and software as apposed to licensing already available propriatary stuff, which he ended up doing later on. In house can also be expensive, especially when your lead programmers and engineers quit their job, often taking things with them leaving the next guy a nightmare and expensive legal matters to get into.
Likely it very much depends on many factors including the kind of business you're in, but rarely is there such an easy answer as to just simply make software inhouse or contract others to create such..or otherwise everyone would already be doing it.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
Dominato3r
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dighn View Post
how much of that is OEM? new computers aren't gonna ship with anything but the latest version of Windows. also the reasonably priced upgrade ($15 to $40) also helped to offset the drawbacks.
All of them are OEM licenses. The exact way the ~600M Windows 7 number was calculated
Dominato3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #38
Zaap
Diamond Member

Quote:
and yet...
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ion-than-vista
Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #39
HeXen
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominato3r View Post
All of them are OEM licenses. The exact way the ~600M Windows 7 number was calculated
But OEM's are only going to buy so many initially then stop if they don't sell. Obviously they must be selling W8 based computers if the OEM's are continually buying licenses. Each computer sold is the same end means, only a small percentage each year would remain unsold for retail price until it rises enough that the OEM would have to stop production...they don't just toss those unsold computers away ya know..they all get sold technically.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
dighn
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
But OEM's are only going to buy so many initially then stop if they don't sell. Obviously they must be selling W8 based computers if the OEM's are continually buying licenses. Each computer sold is the same end means, only a small percentage each year would remain unsold for retail price until it rises enough that the OEM would have to stop production...they don't just toss those unsold computers away ya know..they all get sold technically.
You'd have to really hate Windows 8 to avoid buying a machine that you'd otherwise want just because it comes with Windows 8. The point we are trying to make is that just because it's sold a lot of licenses doesn't mean people are gobbling it up like it's the best thing since sliced bread. It just means that people find it at least tolerable enough when buying new computers (or they may actually like it, but you can't tell that from that data alone).

I still maintain that Windows 8 is pretty decent, except for Metro. It would be a much better product if Metro wasn't forced down our throats.
dighn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #41
Maximilian
Lifer

Quote:
All OEM.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Micros...ews-41984.html

"However, this number isn't a reflection of the OS's success, or of how many people have adopted Windows 8. Instead, the 60 million figure includes the number of licenses sold, upgrades, and sales to OEMs."

Based on what other articles around the web are saying, windows 8 is bombing harder than vista.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #42
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
All OEM.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Micros...ews-41984.html

"However, this number isn't a reflection of the OS's success, or of how many people have adopted Windows 8. Instead, the 60 million figure includes the number of licenses sold, upgrades, and sales to OEMs."

Based on what other articles around the web are saying, windows 8 is bombing harder than vista.
Microsoft only cares about licenses sold. Is there something else they should be tracking?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #43
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Microsoft only cares about licenses sold. Is there something else they should be tracking?
Of course they care about more than that. This is a huge part of their current push into the mobile market and establishing an "ecosystem" with their app store, XBox music, etc and Win8 is a huge part of that.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #44
nerp
Diamond Member

I like Metro or Modern UI. It doesn't prevent me from doing anything. Yes, it's better suited to my Surface RT tablet (especially the charms and other gestures) but it still is Windows and you can pretty much use it like Windows 7 if you want to.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #45
Matt1970
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dighn View Post
Not entirely accurate. There were many a computer that shipped with XP on it when Vista was out.
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #46
jhansman
Platinum Member

I like it for phones and tablets, but for the desktop, no so much. My next phone may be a Windows phone; don't yet own a tablet.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #47
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansman View Post
I like it for phones and tablets, but for the desktop, no so much. My next phone may be a Windows phone; don't yet own a tablet.

I'm not a great fan of Metro either ,sure I know my way around Metro etc but as a desktop user prefer to go straight to desktop and work from there etc..

I'm sure Metro will be improved in Win9 (I'll be surprised if they remove it completely).

As to Phones I will stick with my Android smartphone.

Problem is Microsoft wanted to do "all in one OS"(merge phones/tablets/desktop PC/laptops etc) and so there was trade offs for desktop users,you could argue why not make a Win8 desktop version or add more desktop options in Win8 to keep desktop users happy,guess they wanted us to adapt or change from Win7,anyway whatever their intention was its far from perfect ,however still very usable/customizable IMHO.

Win9 should be interesting,wonder which way Microsoft will go?...interesting times ahead as they say.

Last edited by Mem; 01-14-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Mem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #48
Blueychan

Great! Another thread of anti-Metro circle jerk.
BitFenix Prodigy Artic White | ASRock Z77E-ITX | Intel i5-3570k | G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB DDR3 1866 | Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB | Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB x2 | Corsair AX750 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (Red) | Logitech G400 Optical | Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Blueychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #49
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueychan View Post

You will always get threads like this,happens on nearly every new OS,personally Metro is not a big deal since you can avoid it for the most part especially if you hate it etc...I use Metro when I need to and have got use to it,however I still feel it will be improved in the next OS,the big question is will it keep most of the anti-Metro fans happy?...only time will tell.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #50
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueychan View Post
Metro is an interface designed for "slow" folk. The rest of us just want to use our computer, like we always have. Without having the interface constantly and completely dumbed-down.

(One program full-screen at a time? Are the kidding me?)
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote