· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #101
Red Storm
Lifer

I don't think it's too ambitious at all. We're seeing Nvidia is going to release Shield this year which does much of the same thing, but instead of being limited to a handheld size controller, Valve is going to make a server which means much better performance. I really do hope local streaming becomes a reality. Then all you need is an app for each platform and you can play any game on any device.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #102
BD2003
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
I don't think it's too ambitious at all. We're seeing Nvidia is going to release Shield this year which does much of the same thing, but instead of being limited to a handheld size controller, Valve is going to make a server which means much better performance. I really do hope local streaming becomes a reality. Then all you need is an app for each platform and you can play any game on any device.
Well, the shield is a joke and will be a total failure. Who the hell is going to buy that?

I think local streaming will happen regardless of what valve does. It's already happening with video with stuff like AirPlay and WiDi. Even the PS3 had remote play. I'd bet the next consoles will support it pretty extensively too.

By the time it's actually a valve reality it's not even going to be big news. I doubt it'll even be a server in your closet - the server will just be your main rig, it can just extend to other devices if need be. Don't get me wrong, its a great idea....but it's also a really obvious one, and one that doesn't need valve's involvement.
BD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #103
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD2003 View Post
Well, the shield is a joke and will be a total failure. Who the hell is going to buy that?

I think local streaming will happen regardless of what valve does. It's already happening with video with stuff like AirPlay and WiDi. Even the PS3 had remote play. I'd bet the next consoles will support it pretty extensively too.

By the time it's actually a valve reality it's not even going to be big news. I doubt it'll even be a server in your closet - the server will just be your main rig, it can just extend to other devices if need be. Don't get me wrong, its a great idea....but it's also a really obvious one, and one that doesn't need valve's involvement.
Your first two sentences are a bit contradictory no? The Shield's main feature is the local streaming, so I don't see how you could say it would be a total failure and then say it's main feature is going to become commonplace.

I don't want my main rig to be the server, I want a server to do that so my main rig can be a super thin laptop or tablet.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #104
Dijeangenie

Quote:
I'm 99% sure that card plus all the games he's bought would be much much cheaper than a console with the same number of games.
Your average console gamer is more of a casual gamer than your average PC gamer. They are not likely to build their own PC and they will probably not buy enough games to make that return, especially as brand new AAA titles are not much cheaper on PC. Plus buying a gaming PC requires a larger initial financial outlay, rather than paying less initially and then paying a bit more over for games over the next 5 years.

This isn't true in Kaotik's case as he has 1300 games on steam though
Dijeangenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #105
BD2003
Lifer

Quote:
Your first two sentences are a bit contradictory no? The Shield's main feature is the local streaming, so I don't see how you could say it would be a total failure and then say it's main feature is going to become commonplace.

I don't want my main rig to be the server, I want a server to do that so my main rig can be a super thin laptop or tablet.
Because the shield is going to be an overpriced android gaming tablet. It's an answer to a question no one asked, from a company with no pedigree for making platforms. Not only will the shield fail, ALL of the android consoles will...I've lost count how many there are at this point. We already have an open gaming platform, its called the PC...we don't need another. The PC has to fall from grace much further before android has an opening.

Anyway, I mean your main rig only in that its the box with all the power....either you can put a monitor right to it, or stream it out to whatever device....this will be a reality pretty soon, although I really think this is something that needs to be done on an OS level, so the ball is in microsoft's court.
BD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #106
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijeangenie View Post
Your average console gamer is more of a casual gamer than your average PC gamer. They are not likely to build their own PC and they will probably not buy enough games to make that return, especially as brand new AAA titles are not much cheaper on PC. Plus buying a gaming PC requires a larger initial financial outlay, rather than paying less initially and then paying a bit more over for games over the next 5 years.

This isn't true in Kaotik's case as he has 1300 games on steam though
PC gaming cost is the video card (and that is going down every year). When I got my laptop, I spent an extra $300 to make it a gaming machine. If I wasn't a gamer I'd still have that laptop. The same way I don't count the cost of an HDTV in console gaming, I also don't factor in the cost of the computer itself because like the HDTV it serves many other purposes and would be there anyway.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #107
Throckmorton
Lifer

Gabe's folly
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #108
Dijeangenie

Quote:
PC gaming cost is the video card (and that is going down every year). When I got my laptop, I spent an extra $300 to make it a gaming machine. If I wasn't a gamer I'd still have that laptop. The same way I don't count the cost of an HDTV in console gaming, I also don't factor in the cost of the computer itself because like the HDTV it serves many other purposes and would be there anyway.
I don't agree - I know plenty of people who only have a tablet / have such a low end PC/Laptop that they need more than a video card to play games. However I do not know anyone who does not have a TV.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #109
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijeangenie View Post
I don't agree - I know plenty of people who only have a tablet / have such a low end PC/Laptop that they need more than a video card to play games. However I do not know anyone who does not have a TV.
I did say HDTV. Playing console games on an old crappy TV is no different than playing PC games on all low settings with integrated graphics IMHO.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #110
GullyFoyle
Diamond Member

Valve Box prototype?

My Rig: Intel core i5 3570k@4.2GHz | asrock z77 extreme4 | Noctua NH-D14 cpu Cooler | eVGA GTX 760 2 Gb w/ACX cooling | 8 GB Ram | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB ssd | 3.5 TB HD online., antec true power new 550W PS
GullyFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #111
Feneant2
Golden Member

From the few details I saw I assumed the Steambox was the client in a client/server platform. I assumed it would be a media box with online connectivity to play games like Onlive offered. You buy a game from steam and play it on your client but the hardware cost is Steam's.

Reading this thread, I was wrong and my interest just went down the crapper...
Feneant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #112
Dijeangenie

Quote:
I did say HDTV. Playing console games on an old crappy TV is no different than playing PC games on all low settings with integrated graphics IMHO.
I know very few people who have a TV that isn't HD ready (ie 720p) even if they don't bother to get HD channels, and 720p from across the room looks better than 720p 2 yards from your face.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #113
Sureshot324
Diamond Member

I think the Steam box will be a great product for non tech savvy gamers who want to game on their couch on the TV. Most people on this forum would probably rather build their own, but a very small percentage of gamers are willing to do that. Also if you want a PC with a capable GPU in a very small package, you're options for building it yourself are very limited.

The Steam box will be pretty much plug it in and start playing, just like a console. There are definitely pluses and minuses compared to consoles, but I think the pluses are enough to make it a success.

Steam: Sureshot324
BF3: Sarev0k
Sureshot324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #114
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshot324 View Post
I think the Steam box will be a great product for non tech savvy gamers who want to game on their couch on the TV. Most people on this forum would probably rather build their own, but a very small percentage of gamers are willing to do that. Also if you want a PC with a capable GPU in a very small package, you're options for building it yourself are very limited.

The Steam box will be pretty much plug it in and start playing, just like a console. There are definitely pluses and minuses compared to consoles, but I think the pluses are enough to make it a success.
I don't think that's the "Steam Box" that Valve themselves will be launching. From what I understand, there are companies partnering with Valve who will be making stuff like small size computers ready to go with Steam Big Picture and all that, but the actual Steam Box that Valve is making will be a server, that will stream games to devices on your local network. It's like OnLive except local only (so removes the lag problem), it's with your games (so no ownership problems like with OnLive), and it will be your server to control and do with as you see fit.

At least, that's my hope. If it's just a smaller computer that sits under your TV then that's just a complete waste of their time.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #115
mizzou
Diamond Member

I like the server concept. If it's just a small PC, I see how that is sort of pointless.

I would like to see steam box something ambitious like, "Half-Life 3, developed exclusively on Linux/OpenGL, and distributed over SteamBox" and then see what happens.

And then if it fails, "Half-Life 3, now for PC, Xbox360, PS3", and they can recoup some of the losses.

PC's desperately need some sort of normalcy from a gaming perspective. The PC Gaming heyday, back in the 90's, there were much fewer options from a hardware perspective, it may have been literally three different choices "budget, medium, advanced", with vast majority having some type of medium hardware, with the advanced kit making the game ridiculously playable.

Now, you have like 1000s of options, tons of different versions of the same hardware, chipsets, all floating around, making it much more difficult to troubleshoot a game before full release. I.E., "This game won't load on my computer" or "I click on the .exe and nothing happens"

But if PC gaming is consolized, will that make PC gaming less interesting in the long run? I don't know, probably not. PC gaming is really not much different then console gaming. You have a developer who makes the game, a software company that distributes the title, and a system which runs the game. The only reason PC gaming is considered more complicated/advanced/nuanced is because it's likely easier to develop on and distribute titles (everything done electronically or as in the past, on a simple burned CD)

A steam box running linux, would still have this open environment, you wouldn't have to "crack" it like you would a PS3 in order to release its full potential.

Now, give yourself a very capable device which is fully open (albeit with a immature form of an OS) and give yourself a stable device which was distributed, I would be excited with what indie or established developers could do with this.
mizzou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #116
Lonyo
Lifer

Yeah, we've gone from DX, OGL, Glide, S3D with PowerVR TBR, 3DFX, Matrox, 3DLabs, ATI, NV, SiS, Rendition, Intel etc to only Intel, AMD, NV.

So much harder now with different configurations...

GAMES have become far more complex.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #117
Sureshot324
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't think that's the "Steam Box" that Valve themselves will be launching. From what I understand, there are companies partnering with Valve who will be making stuff like small size computers ready to go with Steam Big Picture and all that, but the actual Steam Box that Valve is making will be a server, that will stream games to devices on your local network. It's like OnLive except local only (so removes the lag problem), it's with your games (so no ownership problems like with OnLive), and it will be your server to control and do with as you see fit.

At least, that's my hope. If it's just a smaller computer that sits under your TV then that's just a complete waste of their time.
How would the controller connect to the server? Wifi?

Steam: Sureshot324
BF3: Sarev0k
Sureshot324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #118
Mopetar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou View Post
I like the server concept. If it's just a small PC, I see how that is sort of pointless.

I would like to see steam box something ambitious like, "Half-Life 3, developed exclusively on Linux/OpenGL, and distributed over SteamBox" and then see what happens.
It would fail, and they'd end up pissing off a lot of their long time fans and customers in the process.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #119
mizzou
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonyo View Post
Yeah, we've gone from DX, OGL, Glide, S3D with PowerVR TBR, 3DFX, Matrox, 3DLabs, ATI, NV, SiS, Rendition, Intel etc to only Intel, AMD, NV.

So much harder now with different configurations...

GAMES have become far more complex.
i dont understand what you mean, you just named some direct x and opengl refrences and some previously popular 3d and VGA manufacturer brands.
are you trying to say the 3d card market nowadays is less complicated??
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #120
mizzou
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopetar View Post
It would fail, and they'd end up pissing off a lot of their long time fans and customers in the process.
unless its bold, i dont think its going to be unique enough to have a chance anyway. heck, sony can barely compete as it is. what if sony sold control of its playstation brand to steam?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #121
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshot324 View Post
How would the controller connect to the server? Wifi?
Valve is looking into alternative forms of control, they aren't trying to make another dual analog controller. So anything's possible.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #122
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Quote:

I thought the shield only streamed from Nvidia's version of OnLive which is another reason why it's going to fail? Did I miss the local streaming part?
VulgarDisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #123
AlexAL

The size of a grapefruit?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-its-steam-box
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #124
mizzou
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAL View Post
my first thought was "alternator sized" lol
Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #125
Fanatical Meat
Diamond Member

I hope it looks like a TF2 turret or dispenser.
Fanatical Meat is offline   Reply With Quote