Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #26
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGBT View Post
I provide jobs and pay lots of taxes. The other clown is most likely a moocher and a parasite.
I provide jobs and pay lots of taxes too and I'm not republican.

In fact most of the young entrepreneurs I know provide jobs and pay taxes, I can't think of one republican in the lot.

The only republican that I actually see at the job, works tech support, good enough guy would give you the shirt off his back.
He would then complain endlessly that you took the shirt off his back but a nice guy.
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
rudder
Lifer
 
rudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 17,778
Default

The TEA party was a good idea... to bring a discussion of taxes and to the forefront... but really was it ever really an effective political party? In fact it is not even a party in the true sense of the word. No leader, no national headquarters, any yahoo with a crazy idea could call themselves a tea party member and start their own headquarters.

I never really understood why the democrats and the MSM felt so threatened by an idea called the tea party.
rudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
etrigan420
Golden Member
 
etrigan420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wa.
Posts: 1,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudder View Post
I never really understood why the democrats and the MSM felt so threatened by an idea called the tea party.
I'm not sure Democrats have ever felt "threatened" by Tea Partiers killing off moderate Repubs in primary elections, but it's like seeing a train wreck on the way home from work and *not* telling your wife about that fucking TRAIN WRECK you saw on the way home from work.

It's comical actually.

...in a "Oh my god I just witnessed a train wreck" kind of way.
etrigan420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #29
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudder View Post
The TEA party was a good idea... to bring a discussion of taxes and to the forefront... but really was it ever really an effective political party? In fact it is not even a party in the true sense of the word. No leader, no national headquarters, any yahoo with a crazy idea could call themselves a tea party member and start their own headquarters.

I never really understood why the democrats and the MSM felt so threatened by an idea called the tea party.
I think the tea party as a group of individuals was actually a good thing.

The more people in the streets pissed the better, while I don't agree with their views we do share being pissed off at how this country is being run.

I feel similarly about the occupy movement although I agreed more with that movement on what some of the issues are.

Thing is the real problems with this country really are not partisan in nature.

Tea party isn't fond of corporate hand in government either, they just think its more of a problem of government in controlling the corporate world.

In the end it's the relationship that is the problem doesn't really matter which one the leech is.

I may not like the fact this country is full of some of the people I have seen at tea party rallies, but they are here, aren't going anywhere may as well find some common ground.
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
IGBT
Lifer
 
IGBT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus503 View Post
I provide jobs and pay lots of taxes too and I'm not republican.

In fact most of the young entrepreneurs I know provide jobs and pay taxes, I can't think of one republican in the lot.

The only republican that I actually see at the job, works tech support, good enough guy would give you the shirt off his back.
He would then complain endlessly that you took the shirt off his back but a nice guy.

I'm not a republican either. What's being a republican or a democrat have to do with job creation or paying taxes?? You foolishly assume all democrats are the same and follow the jack boot agenda of your obama.
__________________
"Under my plan, energy prices would naturally skyrocket" - Barrack Hussein Obama.
gas was $1.84 a gallon prior to obama inauguration. The price of ALL goods and services (food) are tied to the price of transportation energy.
IGBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGBT View Post
I'm not a republican either. What's being a republican or a democrat have to do with job creation or paying taxes?? You foolishly assume all democrats are the same and follow the jack boot agenda of your obama.
I'm sure at one point you were a republican after being unable to defend Bush and embarrassment you probably went off into libertarian land. It's where all embarrassed republicans go.

I'm not an Obama fan and don't follow a jack boot agenda. But turnabout is fair play
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #32
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,405
Default

The Tea Party was a good idea, It was initially started by Ron Paul and they were opposed to gwb, they were against the spending from big government along with the wars. The problem is that the movement was hijacked so there are still small government people with the Tea Party many of them are actually big government supporters.
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #33
IGBT
Lifer
 
IGBT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus503 View Post
I'm sure at one point you were a republican after being unable to defend Bush and embarrassment you probably went off into libertarian land. It's where all embarrassed republicans go.

I'm not an Obama fan and don't follow a jack boot agenda. But turnabout is fair play

..never a republican. Life long union member (Teamsters in the early days) and SEIU in the latter. You're wrong again but consistent. Embarrassed?? only for what slithers around as a democrat these days.
__________________
"Under my plan, energy prices would naturally skyrocket" - Barrack Hussein Obama.
gas was $1.84 a gallon prior to obama inauguration. The price of ALL goods and services (food) are tied to the price of transportation energy.
IGBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #34
Jaskalas
Lifer
 
Jaskalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudder View Post
The TEA party was a good idea... to bring a discussion of taxes and to the forefront... but really was it ever really an effective political party? In fact it is not even a party in the true sense of the word. No leader, no national headquarters, any yahoo with a crazy idea could call themselves a tea party member and start their own headquarters.

I never really understood why the democrats and the MSM felt so threatened by an idea called the tea party.
The idea of true opposition is strange, frightening, and new to them.

Republicans have largely gone along with and passed a big gov agenda, see Bush. The concept of a Tea Party should be the end of the Republican Party. Good for Democrats in the short term, but terrible for them in the long run, as real small government (conservative) ideals might actually gain traction.

That is what they're afraid of. They need a dancing partner to keep this nation divided and conquered with a stacked ballot box. Where the outcome of voting is meaningless, resulting in the same sort of men holding power. Name a Presidential candidate in your life time, with more than 20% of the vote, who would shrink government. The two parties work together to ensure that this can never happen.

Democrats are afraid that could change. Republicans are too, but they have to continue to sound like they support the idea, as they co-opt and corrupt conservative voters to create their base. Without tricking small government idealists into voting for them, there'd be no Republican Party.

What everyone is afraid of, is those idealists waking up.
__________________
aviking: i'd invade too if all i was going to do was lose some coupons to home depot.
SpatiallyAware: The popcorn is no different than the skittles...
Jaskalas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #35
Nemesis 1
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowen674 View Post
Me, the rich are still here.
Ya I KNOW lets get rid of everyone making more than you $30,000
Nemesis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #36
xj0hnx
Diamond Member
 
xj0hnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundforbjt View Post
That's what happens when they (Tea Party) align themselves with the repubs.
Without the repubs hanging on their coat-tails & funding them, they wouldn't have lasted this long.
Fail. You got it assbackwards. The repubs hijacked the TEA Party, without the repubs stepping on their coat tails they might have made a difference. Once Palin, and the rest of the republican lunatics started claiming the TEA party it went completely to shit.
__________________
www.svc.com

i7 920 | EVGA X58 E758-A1 | HIS HD6870 |12GB Crucial DDR3 | 5.5TB | OS X 10.6.8

Heat
xj0hnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #37
Silver Prime
Golden Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,424
Default

I think america is the most riches country in the world. But america has one problem, america is in dept to it self. United states could be shiting out gold if its main finacial issues isint funding prisons. United states has more people incarserated than russia an china combine...? How is that possible, dosent china have like the most people on earth.

I was just talking to a guy who lived in Japan, an he told me when you commit a crime, your whole family has to supply you food, water an clothing...because there jails basically is a confinment with no utilitys...which would make sense right? If some one killed your brother, would you house him=800$ per month, cloth him 400$ per month, feed him 500$ per month an little minor assesories like soap, tooth brush ect...would you really? F---k that I'd shoot him dead right there an then...per year thats around 20 grand... more than the average united states citizen makes per year. Now times that by how many people are incarcerated in United states, what was it.....22 million or so? So Per year United states is pissing away a few trillions of dollars to thives, molesters, rapest, an murderers.

I think they should do away with life in jail because I heard a man get a sentence like 200 years...who the F is going to live that long? Honestly....if they have more strict laws like theft=cut a finger off, do you think people would be stealing? I dont think so...murder=You die...I'd think you'd think twice before killing someone if you knew the conciquences.

There is so much more that has to be funded for these places, like building the dam 100's of jail[s], the workers to maintain the facility, from janitors, cooks, secerity, wardens, bookies...an the food...holy shit the food...millions of animals slaughtered per year to feed F---ing criminals? Huh!
Silver Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #38
monovillage
Diamond Member
 
monovillage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 8,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
Both of you are extremist droolers the country can do without.
Thanks for showing your dark side. Welcome to Trollsville, population increased by 1.
monovillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #39
monovillage
Diamond Member
 
monovillage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 8,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
Even if I believed you -- and I have no reason to -- you're a mindless partisan robot and we'd be better off without you.
and confirmed! Unless of course you would allow this type of trolling in your own blog?
monovillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #40
dmcowen674
No Lifer
 
dmcowen674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 52,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis 1 View Post
Ya I KNOW lets get rid of everyone making more than you $30,000
That's a start.
dmcowen674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #41
Ausm
Lifer
 
Ausm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Madison,Wi
Posts: 25,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1970 View Post
In and out before the goo hits the floor in this circle jerk.
__________________
It's ok to eat fish, because fish don't have any feelings.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #42
Matt1970
Diamond Member
 
Matt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 9,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
Ya pal, that was sooooo a crying moment. /sarcasm
Matt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #43
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGBT View Post
..never a republican. Life long union member (Teamsters in the early days) and SEIU in the latter. You're wrong again but consistent. Embarrassed?? only for what slithers around as a democrat these days.
If people make assumptions about you here, it's based on your own posting record.

I've been around for half a year now and this is the first time I've ever even seen you engage in an actual discussion in this forum. Usually all you do is spew a disposable drive-by line that sounds like it came straight off right-wing talk radio, and then disappear.

To be honest, I'm glad to see you at least responding. I hope you do it more often. I much prefer discussing issues, even with people I know I'm going to disagree with, rather than wading through mindless sound bites.
__________________
"Of those who say nothing, few are silent." -- Thomas Neill
Charles Kozierok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #44
Bowfinger
Lifer
 
Bowfinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
If people make assumptions about you here, it's based on your own posting record.

I've been around for half a year now and this is the first time I've ever even seen you engage in an actual discussion in this forum. Usually all you do is spew a disposable drive-by line that sounds like it came straight off right-wing talk radio, and then disappear.

To be honest, I'm glad to see you at least responding. I hope you do it more often. I much prefer discussing issues, even with people I know I'm going to disagree with, rather than wading through mindless sound bites.
FYI, I've been here since its inception, and this is the first time I remember him making any effort at discussion. He has always before offered only those drive-by shots of nutter noise, devoid of original thought and often only tangentially related to the discussion. I think most people wrote him off as irrelevant long ago.

For the longest time, his catch phrase rotated between "eco-theist" and "eco-kook", tossed out pejoratively in virtually all of his posts even if the discussion had nothing to do with the environment. It was his catch-all slur for everyone he disagreed with, much as others here use "libtard" or "contard". I always assumed he was a younger teen, parroting his parents. I was surprised to see him actually engaging in two-way conversation. Perhaps he's growing up.

Edit: re. the OP, it is indeed encouraging to see the Tea Party lunacy seems to be fading. Much like Occupy Wall Street, both launched with good intentions and successfully raised awareness of important issues. Unfortunately, both were quickly co-opted by fringe elements that took them on more self-serving and destructive paths. Unlike OWS, however, the Tea Party was able to inflict substantial damage to America as a whole. OWS damage was limited to localized acts of vandalism.
__________________
If you never encounter anything in your community that offends you, you're not living in a free society.

"An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett.

Last edited by Bowfinger; 01-09-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Bowfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #45
Bowfinger
Lifer
 
Bowfinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monovillage View Post
Thanks for showing your dark side. Welcome to Trollsville, population increased by 1.
Take a Midol, princess. Note only are you projecting your own bitter failings, you've demonstrated you have no clue what the word "troll" means. Hint: just because it's derogatory doesn't mean it's a troll. The two words encompass different things, though they can intersect.
__________________
If you never encounter anything in your community that offends you, you're not living in a free society.

"An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett.
Bowfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #46
soundforbjt
Diamond Member
 
soundforbjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In an office
Posts: 6,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj0hnx View Post
Fail. You got it assbackwards. The repubs hijacked the TEA Party, without the repubs stepping on their coat tails they might have made a difference. Once Palin, and the rest of the republican lunatics started claiming the TEA party it went completely to shit.
They were loony from the start. Taxed Enough Already right?
During the lowest tax rates in 50years, they're complaining about high taxes? But, you're right, the repubs jumped aboard (Dick Armey) and steered the ship, but the Tea Party allowed it, that why my choice of words.
But without Fox & Armey's exposure & funding, I still think they wouldn't have had the impact they did.
__________________
"Soitenly, if at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard


The Heat 106-0-0

Last edited by soundforbjt; 01-09-2013 at 10:24 AM.
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #47
monovillage
Diamond Member
 
monovillage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 8,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowfinger View Post
Take a Midol, princess. Note only are you projecting your own bitter failings, you've demonstrated you have no clue what the word "troll" means. Hint: just because it's derogatory doesn't mean it's a troll. The two words encompass different things, though they can intersect.
I'd love to see what your definition is of being a "troll", maybe you can post it in the no insults discussion thread
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthre...261784&page=27
and everyone can share your wisdom.

You won't of course, but I thought i'd offer you a chance to actually define it for us. Instead i'm sure you'll do another misogynistic crack about a menstrual cycle, but it's not trollish behavior if Bowfinger or another leftist/Democrat does it.
monovillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #48
Bowfinger
Lifer
 
Bowfinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monovillage View Post
I'd love to see what your definition is of being a "troll", maybe you can post it in the no insults discussion thread
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthre...261784&page=27
and everyone can share your wisdom.

You won't of course, but I thought i'd offer you a chance to actually define it for us. Instead i'm sure you'll do another misogynistic crack about a menstrual cycle, but it's not trollish behavior if Bowfinger or another leftist/Democrat does it.
I believe Idontcare posted a more formal definition, but to me trolling is intentionally saying or doing something designed to provoke a strong emotional reaction, generally by a large number of people. The idea of a troll is to get as many people riled up as possible. Derogatory comments can do that, but are not necessarily intended to do that. Similarly, effective trolls need not be derogatory at all. For example, posting a thread saying "Ron Paul is America's savior" or "Justin Bieber is the greatest musician ever" are likely to provoke strong reaction even though they aren't derogatory.

Thus the sets of "troll" and "insult" intersect, but are not identical. With that established, one needs to consider whether Charles' comment, clearly derogatory, is also a troll. Given that neither of the people he referenced reacted with a strong emotional response, it seems pretty clear it was not. You reacted, of course, but you have a chip on your shoulder and have a strong history of gratuitous, bitter attacks on those you dislike (i.e., anyone who has ever crossed you). Therefore, your reaction is irrelevant to the discussion.

As far as left vs. right, I see trolls on both sides. In fact a couple of days ago I reported a thread from a left-leaning poster as a troll (and I very rarely report threads or posts). It wasn't just because that thread was a troll (and it was), but because that person seemingly cannot post a thread without being trollish about it. He is just one of the reasons P&N has become so useless, because such trolling is drowning all hopes of productive discussion.

What else can I explain for you?
__________________
If you never encounter anything in your community that offends you, you're not living in a free society.

"An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett.

Last edited by Bowfinger; 01-10-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Bowfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #49
monovillage
Diamond Member
 
monovillage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 8,445
Default

So you're only a troll if you're effective, capable and manage to stimulate political and social discussion, but not a troll if you're boring and insipid. Great definition there.
monovillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #50
Bowfinger
Lifer
 
Bowfinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monovillage View Post
So you're only a troll if you're effective, capable and manage to stimulate political and social discussion, but not a troll if you're boring and insipid. Great definition there.
"... but you have a chip on your shoulder and have a strong history of gratuitous, bitter attacks on those you dislike (i.e., anyone who has ever crossed you). Therefore, your reaction is irrelevant to the discussion."
__________________
If you never encounter anything in your community that offends you, you're not living in a free society.

"An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett.
Bowfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.