· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
JEDI
Lifer

Default FTL: Fun at first...

bought FTL (Faster than Light) when it was on sale for $6. (missed the $5 deal).

fun at first. beat the boss, unlocked the ships.

but as i'm unlocking more and more ships, it's beginning to be all the same.

sure, each ship comes w/different starting weapons and different crew.
but as you go thru the game you can pick up more crew members and more weapons such that your end ship almost always looks about the same.

example:
Rock's ship come with missile weapons only. unfortuntely, you cant get enuf missiles to finish the boss. i finally won with that ship using purely lasers.

so no matter how you started the game, the ship looks about the same at the end almost everytime.

dont get me wrong, for $6 it has provided me alot of enjoyment.

i wish the designers would add weapon type limits on ships. or weapon bonuses if used on a certain ship. or crew would get a +/- skill depending on the ship or who the other races are on the ship.
-He got away with the kill but Marilyn Monroe got her revenge in a murder/suicide.
Proof God exists: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...06913729_n.png I blame Bush!
JEDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
power_hour

I heard this was one of the better indie games out there and was planning to buy it on the next sale. Lots of games play as you described but point noted. If I get a few hours here or there I will be happy. Any stupid DRM or always online requirement?
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
zokudu
Diamond Member

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
I like my women how I like my filesystems...FAT and 16
zokudu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
QuantumPion
Diamond Member

I still haven't managed to beat it on easy yet, lol. Game is good but too frustrating and random.
QuantumPion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
BlueWeasel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_hour View Post
I heard this was one of the better indie games out there and was planning to buy it on the next sale. Lots of games play as you described but point noted. If I get a few hours here or there I will be happy. Any stupid DRM or always online requirement?
No.

But if you have a chance, buy it directly from the developer's site, instead of GOG or Steam. You get both a DRM free version AND a Steam code.
BlueWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
JEDI
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokudu View Post
THX!

any mods you recommend?
-He got away with the kill but Marilyn Monroe got her revenge in a murder/suicide.
Proof God exists: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...06913729_n.png I blame Bush!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEDI View Post
example:
Rock's ship come with missile weapons only. unfortuntely, you cant get enuf missiles to finish the boss. i finally won with that ship using purely lasers.
If you want to use missiles against the final boss, you need to save them up by using lasers most of the time. Bombs are also handy against the boss.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Clinkster

It's addicting to a point. I say that is a successful $10 game...
CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.5 || MB: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro || GPU: Nvidia 570 GTX || RAM: Gskill 8 GB || Sound: Asus Xonar D1 || Display: Dell U2412M || 750 GB Samsung EVO & 640 GB WD Caviar Black || PSU: Seasonic Bronze 650W

CPU block: XSPC Raystorm || GPU block: EK-FC570 GTX SE EN+ Nickel/Clear Acrylic || Reservoir: XSPC RX360 || Pump: MCP655-B || Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev. 2
Clinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Canun

I'm completely addicted. I bought it, and have played it every chance I get. Learning to use stealth or drones over weapons is alot of fun, plus I haven't even tried teleporters.
Canun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
JEDI
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canun View Post
I'm completely addicted. I bought it, and have played it every chance I get. Learning to use stealth or drones over weapons is alot of fun, plus I haven't even tried teleporters.
teleporters are fun. try mantis ship A.

mantis ship B is FRUSTRATING since you dont start with any offsensive weapons. when you run into those automated ships, all you can do is wait for your engines to jump. those ships have no oxygen thus you suffocate if u teleport over.

now i'm ready to try mods.
any recommendations on which to try first?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
mizzou
Diamond Member

maybe just me but I'm always a bit paranoid when modding steam games
mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
Clinkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou View Post
maybe just me but I'm always a bit paranoid when modding steam games
It's a single player game...

You only get VAC banned for HACKING (not modding) multiplayer games on public servers.
CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.5 || MB: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro || GPU: Nvidia 570 GTX || RAM: Gskill 8 GB || Sound: Asus Xonar D1 || Display: Dell U2412M || 750 GB Samsung EVO & 640 GB WD Caviar Black || PSU: Seasonic Bronze 650W

CPU block: XSPC Raystorm || GPU block: EK-FC570 GTX SE EN+ Nickel/Clear Acrylic || Reservoir: XSPC RX360 || Pump: MCP655-B || Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev. 2
Clinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Born2bwire
Diamond Member

Well I bought the game after being reminded of it on here. That just sucked up my whole day. Thanks.

Still not very good at it though.
Born2bwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
JamesV
Golden Member

This game deserves Indie game of the year imo.

While it does have perma-death, if you stick with it and learn all the mechanics, then you can stack the deck in your favor, so you don't get into encounters that stomp you. Like buying extra energy before going into nebulas to combat the chance of an ion storm that halves your power.

As for ships looking the same... that is up to you. You can try to always get alot of lasers, but you are not guaranteed to find them, so many times you have to loadout your ship (and base your strategy) on what is available.

Alot of lasers works versus the boss, but so does boarding parties and cloak, and even heavy drone setups where you never fire a laser from your weapon banks.
JamesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
clok1966

I really like the game but the random sucks some life out of it.. some horrible luck late in the game can really burn you. I have not beat the boss, in fact I have not got to him, almost, but not quite. I would like to see the game more open.. as in not a set end. If battles lasted a little longer so you has to micro manage a bit more, if you could build ships (i could see some changes to ship systems and ship building extending the life of the game bigtime). I am stuck on manning all stations, getting shields up and just sticking with 2 weapons and point defense.. I mow through most anythijg with the standard -knock shields out, then weapons.. or you can very that if its manned ship with Life support.. I own.. till some random stuff like a asteroid field, and an enemy with some luck.

Mods? where and what is out there?

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=29525">HEAT</a>
clok1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
KaOTiK
Lifer

I like the game a lot but I suck at it. I can get a little over half way so far lol.
KaOTiK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
JamesV
Golden Member

It took me about 15 hours til I beat the boss the first time. I had alot of the same reactions as others; frustrated by seemingly super-tough enemies or bad situations.

But playing all those hours showed me those random battles that whooped me were simply my fault in not preparing for them. I wanted to build my ship a certain way, instead of working with what was available. I wanted lots of lasers, but only seemed to find beams and ion weapons sometimes, so instead of using what was available, I got killed because I didn't adapt to what I could get.

Always grab a defense drone if you can, as missiles pass through shields. The drone also makes asteroid or heavy drone enemy fights much easier. And learn beam weapons; if their power is greater than the enemies shield strength, they will pass through shields and can hit 4 rooms with one shot. And try to break down shields before using a beam if you can; wait til all weapons are off cooldown, use a laser to knockout shields, then cripple weapons, engines, and a third system with one beam shot.
JamesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Born2bwire
Diamond Member

I beat the boss on the second or third day after I bought the game. A lot of it is just learning what you need to do to survive and beat the boss. Always try to explore as many nodes as you can in each stage to get as much experience, equipment, and money as possible. Learning to focus on one or two certain battle aspects is good. I never did drones. I focused on boarding parties and weapons. I found out that it is much better to have many weapons that can be used than one or two strong weapons. A good combo I had was the dual beam gun, fire bomb, laser, and a breach missile. The fire bomb and breach missile could be used to knock out the shields and other vital systems (plus they were great for sucking the oxygen out and the fires kept the crew busy and weakened them for a boarding). Then the dual gun could attack the hull and knock the rest of the shields down for the laser to cut everything up. Each of them were weak on their own but it was combining them that made the difference.

Another thing that I found useful was to focus more on upgrading engines than shields. I think you can get a dodge rate as high as 55% and that helps a lot with missiles.

I still haven't given the normal difficulty a serious play through though.
Born2bwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Dumac
Diamond Member

RNG: The Game
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
MetalMat
Diamond Member

I rolled through easy in a short amount of time with the Engi ship but the game is way too hard on normal. It is all just luck, you can be doing great then all of the sudden a bad dice roll puts you in the middle of an asteroid field with 4 dudes and a bot on your ship while getting spammed by rockets in sector 7.

There is no way you can prepare for every possible random scenario the game throws at you, you don't get enough scrap in normal.

Congrats to the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns, the 2013 New Orleans Bowl champs!

Last edited by MetalMat; 01-13-2013 at 03:31 PM.
MetalMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
AyashiKaibutsu
Diamond Member

Any time I've gotten 2 or 3 sectors in, I've rolled through the rest of the game on easy. I've done it with 3 or 4 different ships and gotten pretty wildly varied configs on many of them. I haven't really put a lot of time into playing normal though; it is far tougher.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #22
MetalMat
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyashiKaibutsu View Post
Any time I've gotten 2 or 3 sectors in, I've rolled through the rest of the game on easy. I've done it with 3 or 4 different ships and gotten pretty wildly varied configs on many of them. I haven't really put a lot of time into playing normal though; it is far tougher.
Normal is on a different level, I did finally beat it. The final boss is insanely hard, best ship is the Noether imo. The pike beam works well throughout the game, the 2 ion cannons work well early but they really need to be upgraded to dual lasers at the least. Tactic I used was to fire all my lasers and when their shields dropped to use the pike beam, you can get a good deal of damage with it.

Congrats to the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns, the 2013 New Orleans Bowl champs!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #23
JEDI
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokudu View Post
according to Steam, i've played 80hrs over the past 2 weeks
mods REALLY extend the enjoyability of the game
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
manimal
Lifer

love this game. Mods I have tried were the disable fleet mod. I only need the crystal cruiser so I disabled the fleet so I can try to get the three random events to happen. Starting to annoy me but its fun testing weird setups.

Love sending over 4 rockmen and a bot while fire bombing the med bay. Good times

I want a multilayer version !!
M4a79 DLX 805 X4 L3 6MB 3.25 NB 2450 Xfire 4850
58 PZ85U 50G10 52a650 PLV1080HD PJ all calibrated
120 Inch Screen -speakercraft Mzc66 8 zone audio
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
MetalMat
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
love this game. Mods I have tried were the disable fleet mod. I only need the crystal cruiser so I disabled the fleet so I can try to get the three random events to happen. Starting to annoy me but its fun testing weird setups.

Love sending over 4 rockmen and a bot while fire bombing the med bay. Good times

I want a multilayer version !!
The Basilisk is fun to play, you can easily annihilate another ship by sending over 4 Mantis/Rockmen, a boarding bot and breach bomb the med bay. However this tactic will not work on the final boss......