· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
DainBramaged
Lifer

Default Need help increasing pace

I have been in a rut for a while. I'm running at about an eight minute pace (up to nine if I go over five miles) and I had no problem getting there, but I can't get better. I get so distracted/lazy, I run faster for a bit then go back to my comfortable pace. How can I make myself run faster?
DainBramaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
RagingBITCH
Lifer

To run fast you have to, well, run fast. Volume only helps so much (IE, miles per week) before you see no additional benefits. Trackwork, tempo, and fartleks outside your comfort zone, (pushing lactate threshold) will help you get faster.

If you run alone, run with a group. Most groups have specific days for trackwork or speedwork.
RagingBITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Megatomic
Lifer

I have a problem with speed, too. I want to run faster (ego), but running by myself almost all the time means I have no one to push me to go faster. Add to that I am practicing my pace for longer events where I know I can't and shouldn't even try to sustain anything faster than 10 minute miles and the result is slow running. But it makes me happy and my slow pace is fast for others so it's all relative.

The bottom line is that RB is dead right, you need tempo runs and fartlek sessions to get your pace up.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
pauldun170
Golden Member

Hills
Find a hilly area and run it.
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
RagingBITCH
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Hills
Find a hilly area and run it.
Hill work definitely has it's benefits and shouldn't be ignored. I'd use it to supplement your other quality runs, (as it's a quality workout in itself - it's part of any marathon training I've done, regardless of the course being flat/fast or hilly) but hills alone won't benefit the OP as much as he'd like.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
pauldun170
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBITCH View Post
Hill work definitely has it's benefits and shouldn't be ignored. I'd use it to supplement your other quality runs, (as it's a quality workout in itself - it's part of any marathon training I've done, regardless of the course being flat/fast or hilly) but hills alone won't benefit the OP as much as he'd like.
I am a newbie at it and I mentioned it because it appeared to really help a friend who started running with me. However now that think about it it may be because he raised his pace to keep up with mine hence that's would did the trick

If you don't mind me asking (since you sound like an experienced runner), how are your 1 mile times and 5k times?

I started running last summer and my only exposure is running with one friend casually on the weekends (I'd say 2-4 miles runs, 3-4 times a month) and the occasional 5k (I've done 4) with another friend.
I'm pretty much a newbie and slightly oldie (at age 39) running for about 7 months.
As of now I can get about a 7 min mile (edit: Just looked at cardio trainer and realized that I ran that last one on a slight uphill...) and 22-23min 5k.

With that being said, what do you mean by trackwork and tempo? (I looked up what fartlek's)

Last edited by pauldun170; 01-09-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
RagingBITCH
Lifer

Quote:
I am a newbie at it and I mentioned it because it appeared to really help a friend who started running with me. However now that think about it it may be because he raised his pace to keep up with mine hence that's would did the trick

If you don't mind me asking (since you sound like an experienced runner), how are your 1 mile times and 5k times?

I started running last summer and my only exposure is running with one friend casually on the weekends (I'd say 2-4 miles runs, 3-4 times a month) and the occasional 5k (I've done 4) with another friend.
I'm pretty much a newbie and slightly oldie (at age 39) running for about 7 months.
As of now I can get about a 7 min mile (edit: Just looked at cardio trainer and realized that I ran that last one on a slight uphill...) and 22-23min 5k.

With that being said, what do you mean by trackwork and tempo? (I looked up what fartlek's)
Well, hill training increases aerobic capacity and leg strength. It also to an extent increases stride rate and your overall efficiency (where you land on your feet, stride length, posture) so it's beneficial in many aspects. Our normal hill day was Wednesday...nothing like sucking wind doing hill repeats in 85 degree weather with 80% humidity. (At 5AM)

To be honest - my mile time and 5K times aren't worth a damn. I wouldn't know what my true 1 mile time is, as I normally do mile repeats. (One balls out effort mile is different than having to do 4 of them) My official 5K PR is only a 21:39...about a year and a half ago, the day after Thanksgiving. I'd say before injury in July, I was on track for sub 20 without question. (I ran under a 21:39 during a 4 mile tempo run in the heat) Shoulda woulda coulda though...my injury ruined my running for 2012

Trackwork - just organized work on the track, whether it's 400/800/1200/1600m repeats. You can do it on the road, but you're not getting the benefit of true time tests. IE, the goal is to hit even splits for every 400m you run. Use it as a benchmark and see how you've improved in a month/every other month.

Tempo - a run just beyond your comfortable pace, designed to build up your lactate threshold. (IE, run longer and faster) You said you ran a 22-23 minute 5K...so somewhere below a 7:30 is your 5K pace. For a tempo run if you're looking to concentrate on the 5K/shorter distances, you'd add about 5-10 seconds per minute mile and run for 15-20 minutes. As you get better, you'll notice (assuming weather, course remains the same) that run for that pace and time will get easier.

If you enjoy it and want to get better, I'd say target some 5K's and get into a regular training plan/routine. For the record - short of those blazing fast college kids running 4 minute miles that get into road races, generally speaking, the older you get, the faster/more competitive you see some of the times, at least in Dallas. 31-34 is more competitive than 25-29, 35-39 more competitive than 31-34, so on. (Peaks around the mid 50's) Never too old
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
DainBramaged
Lifer

Quote:
To run fast you have to, well, run fast. Volume only helps so much (IE, miles per week) before you see no additional benefits. Trackwork, tempo, and fartleks outside your comfort zone, (pushing lactate threshold) will help you get faster.

If you run alone, run with a group. Most groups have specific days for trackwork or speedwork.
Thanks *so* much for the tips, I'll def be looking into it. I know nothing about the how-tos of running, I'm just doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatomic View Post
I have a problem with speed, too. I want to run faster (ego), but running by myself almost all the time means I have no one to push me to go faster. Add to that I am practicing my pace for longer events where I know I can't and shouldn't even try to sustain anything faster than 10 minute miles and the result is slow running. But it makes me happy and my slow pace is fast for others so it's all relative.

The bottom line is that RB is dead right, you need tempo runs and fartlek sessions to get your pace up.
That's *me*! I need someone to run with but my schedule is crazy and I'm usually running at 5:30-7:00 AM when everyone is going to work.

Quote:
The fastest mile that I've done (according to MapMyRun) is 7:05 and my 5K time is around 24:00.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
pauldun170
Golden Member

Definitely good info
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
RagingBITCH
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DainBramaged View Post
Thanks *so* much for the tips, I'll def be looking into it. I know nothing about the how-tos of running, I'm just doing it.

That's *me*! I need someone to run with but my schedule is crazy and I'm usually running at 5:30-7:00 AM when everyone is going to work.

The fastest mile that I've done (according to MapMyRun) is 7:05 and my 5K time is around 24:00.
Weren't you in the Marines IIRC? You probably did those times without trying back in the day
Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
RagingBITCH
Lifer

Quote:
Definitely good info
YW. If you need help with a structured plan, let me know. Always happy to help with running. Now if only I could get healthy and back to it.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
DainBramaged
Lifer

Quote:
Weren't you in the Marines IIRC? You probably did those times without trying back in the day
Yeah. I got out this past August but I hadn't PT'd since Dec, 2010 due to a really long story. Also, I hated running while I was forced to. They never taught you *how* to run properly. You just run or you'll regret it.

My best Corps 3-mile was 20:35. And endless amounts of untimed 2.5-10 mile runs.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
RagingBITCH
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DainBramaged View Post
Yeah. I got out this past August but I hadn't PT'd since Dec, 2010 due to a really long story. Also, I hated running while I was forced to. They never taught you *how* to run properly. You just run or you'll regret it.

My best Corps 3-mile was 20:35. And endless amounts of untimed 2.5-10 mile runs.
You are not the first military guy to say that. A few buddies say it's different when it's for fun vs forced, so good point