· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
djw39

Default Low power + modular

Let's say I wanted to build a modest micro ATX system in the Temjin case. The review said to use a modular PSU or it would get crowded in there. Other articles have stressed the importance of not buying too powerful a PSU if you don't need it (I don't).

I think it would be either the Corsair CX430M or Seasonic G series 450w. (Rosewill Capstone is actually a bit larger?) As I gather the Seasonic is "better" in some sense...but should I care? Any circumstances in which you would strongly recommend one over the other?
djw39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Buying a more powerful PSU than you need will cost you more money up front at time of purchase, cost you a tiny bit more money all the time (may have lower efficiency at lower loads) and give you that huge wad of cables when not using a modular unit.

Buying the wattage you need will likely result in you using the majority of the cables, and thus not needing modular.

Yes, unfortunately the excellent and cheap Capstone PSUs are deeper than the others you mentioned. Seasonic has better quality output and is more efficient than the Corsair, but costs more money. It is also quieter.

What components will you end up using? Maybe you don't even need that high wattage? Seasonic makes a 360W G series.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
lehtv
Diamond Member

XFX 450W $45 AR is a decent option, it's quite compact (5.91" or 150mm deep).

Last edited by lehtv; 01-09-2013 at 11:34 AM.
lehtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
djw39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Buying a more powerful PSU than you need will cost you more money up front at time of purchase, cost you a tiny bit more money all the time (may have lower efficiency at lower loads) and give you that huge wad of cables when not using a modular unit.

Buying the wattage you need will likely result in you using the majority of the cables, and thus not needing modular.

Yes, unfortunately the excellent and cheap Capstone PSUs are deeper than the others you mentioned. Seasonic has better quality output and is more efficient than the Corsair, but costs more money. It is also quieter.

What components will you end up using? Maybe you don't even need that high wattage? Seasonic makes a 360W G series.
For sure I don't need the wattage, I could get away with the 360W, but that one actually isn't modular. Same for the XFX model suggested by lehtv, Antec Earthwatts 380W, any number of other things. The review of the Temjin case was quite insistent that it demands a modular unit though.

I guess I ought to look into exactly what cables are included with a small unit like the Seasonic 360W, that may be the way to go if there aren't too many extra cables. If Seasonic is quieter than Corsair that seems a reasonable excuse to spring for it.
djw39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
The review of the Temjin case was quite insistent that it demands a modular unit though.
That's because the reviewer either lacks imagination, has OCD or has way more wattage than needed because higher wattage PSUs have more cables.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote