· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
boomhower
Diamond Member

Default Car Stereo/Speaker help UPDATE: placed an order

Well the stereo system in my recently purchased truck is absolutely atrocious, 11 years of time and the speakers are done. I don't drive it a ton so it's not something I want to a bunch of money into but it's painful to listen to now. For the headunit I'm looking to spend less than $200. Pretty much everything will come from my iPhone when via on board or streaming so one of the newer CD less ones would be fine. Mostly will be connected via USB so bluetooth is not mandatory. For speakers I'd like to stay at less than $100. I can do $50 for two pairs or do the front speakers now for $100 and the rears later. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, just want something that sounds halfway decent. Reburbs or year old discontinued models are fine.

Last edited by boomhower; 12-30-2012 at 03:42 PM.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Check out Crutchfield.com. They have pretty good fitment guides there for your specific vehicle. I bought a Pioneer head unit from them, door speakers, amp and sub. Spent around $500 and it sounds much better than the crap stereo my car came with.

I like the Pioneer HU's because they seem to be the best at pulling in radio stations. Oh, and I added a Sirius satellite radio tuner to my setup, it is all integrated into the HU so no add on crap or running through the stereo's FM tuner.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
boomhower
Diamond Member

That's where I plan on purchasing. Their prices are competitive and the free install gear puts them over the top, just need to decide what to buy. I'm really like the . At $170 the price is really good. Only thing I don't like is you have to use their iDevice cable and I'd have to purchase a 30 pin->lightning connector. I'm completely lost on speakers, don't have a clue what is good for the money.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Soccerman06
Diamond Member

Crutchfield is so expensive, amazon is where you should buy for cheap speakers. I only use crutchfield when I need to make sure something will work.
Steam: soccerman05
Soccerman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Fmr12B
Diamond Member

Just installed a Sony BT4100P this past weekend from Crutchfield. No sales tax, free shipping, $25 gift card, free antenna adapter, free mounting kit, half price wiring kit.

It has a USB on the front, it has bluetooth for hands free calling with wired microphone, 3-sets of pre-amp outs, remote control, built in Pandora. All for $160.

For speakers - anything will be significantly better than factory - pick a budget, ensure they fit - and buy what gets good reviews.
Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Insomniator
Diamond Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...-KDC-X395.html

$50 off a pair of kenwood speakers when you purchase that unit. If you don't drive it much and aren't an audiophile I'm sure that will be better than you expect.
Insomniator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Plugers

I know there is a 6.75" pioneer comp set that gets great reviews and goes on sale regularly for $100.

They may need to be massaged in though.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
boomhower
Diamond Member

Well finally placed an order. For a headunit I went with a Kenwood KDC-X996. I would have prefered something with a front USB but it'll do. I was shocked at how hard it was to find something that wasn't gaudy, that really was the tipping point on this one.

For speakers I got two sets of Polk db651s. Reviews seem to be glowing for the money.

I ended up getting everything at Crutchfield. Reciever was a scratch/dent/refurb for $170. Speakers were buy one get one half off. Combined with all the install gear I was pretty happy with out the door of $320.

I do have a factory rear sub and am kicking around replacing it. I do not want big booming sound, just a little more punch. Problem is I know nothing about the stock amp so I have no clue what type to put in other than a low power 8".
Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Ferzerp
Diamond Member

Those speakers are only $56 a pair at amazon.
Ferzerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
boomhower
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
Those speakers are only $56 a pair at amazon.
Add in brackets and harnesses and it was a wash. Ive got Prime so i certainly checked there but the total come out a pretty much dead even. Yeah I'm sure it could be done without them but I like simplicity and ease.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
ComputerWizKid
Golden Member

Just curious what car is this going into?

Computer Screwed up? Hate M$ Windows Then Why not
Format C: The answer to all of your Computer problems.

Here is a test to find out whether your mission
on earth is finished:
If you're alive, it isn't.

Heatware Format _C:
ComputerWizKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
amdhunter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Well finally placed an order. For a headunit I went with a Kenwood KDC-X996. I would have prefered something with a front USB but it'll do. I was shocked at how hard it was to find something that wasn't gaudy, that really was the tipping point on this one.

For speakers I got two sets of Polk db651s. Reviews seem to be glowing for the money.

I ended up getting everything at Crutchfield. Reciever was a scratch/dent/refurb for $170. Speakers were buy one get one half off. Combined with all the install gear I was pretty happy with out the door of $320.

I do have a factory rear sub and am kicking around replacing it. I do not want big booming sound, just a little more punch. Problem is I know nothing about the stock amp so I have no clue what type to put in other than a low power 8".
That's awesome. I don't know how it is today, but I loved Kenwood Single Din radios back in the day. They had an excellent price/value ratio back then.
amdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
boomhower
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerWizKid View Post
Just curious what car is this going into?
2001 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdhunter View Post
That's awesome. I don't know how it is today, but I loved Kenwood Single Din radios back in the day. They had an excellent price/value ratio back then.
They still do evidently. Years ago when I was in high school I always used Kenwood decks. When I went searching again I ended up with another. The features for the price I paid are outstanding. I finally got around to installing the head unit yesterday(which was the hardest one I have ever done due to one single solitary wire!!! Took 30 minutes to connect that damn thing).

It's a great head unit. Everything works as you'd expect and the sound is much improved even with the factory speakers still in it. Bluetooth connected easily and works well. Placing calls from the receiver is better than I thought it would be. It sounds much better to the other person due to the external mic and much better than speaker phone. BT audio sounds good but can tell a difference compared to using USB. Speaking of which iPhone integration works very well. It has an unexpected perk of being able to turn off the receiver control of the phone and you can use the phone to choose tracks, can't do that in my work car.

Only negative I've come across in my short time with it is that it takes a couple minutes for BT to connect and Pandora thumbs up/down isn't working but once I actually read the owners manual the latter may get straightened out. I would have also preferred a matte black compared to the glossy but that's a minor issue and will certainly vary from person to person.

I'm hoping to get the speakers in this weekend. Still looking for a replacement sub though.