· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #326
Rikard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post
bla bla bla
And thus the flame war continues
3x Xigmatek XAF-F1454 | Maxkeyboard Nighthawk X8 Semi-custom(MX Brown)
Corsair Vengeance 2000 7.1 Headset | Samsung Syncmaster BX2450 1080p@75 Hz
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #327
railven
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurleyBird View Post
And although I haven't had a problem with them historically, the pro-AMD crowd is starting to turn me off in this thread and it's predecessor.
I wouldn't give the people on this forum that much credit. Blame it where it belongs - AMD. I've always used an ATI (into AMD) card on my personal main rig (preference, usually goes with my color scheme, whatever) but this is no one's fault but AMDs. If they can't fix this issue then the business they lose is on them.

Thankfully for me (and AMD I guess) I can't see the stuttering during 90% of my gameplay (due to well focusing on the gameplay) but it is a huge disservice to it's user base.

Yet another feather in AMD's failure cap.
Me: ASRock Z68 Gen3Pro3||Intel i7 2600K@4.2ghz||2x4GB Corsair Vengeance||SLI GTX 660 Ti +100 Offset Power @134%||X-FI Titanium||Vertex 4 128GB/500GB Seagate||Corsair Carbide 500R White||Corsair TX750W||Corsair H60
Her: ASrock Z77 Pro4||Intel i5 3570K||2x4GB Corsair Vengeance||EVGA GTX 680 + 100 Offset||ASUS Xonar DG||Intel 320 128GB/500GB Seagate||Cooler Master Scout||Corsair 600W GS||Cooler Master 212+ Evo
railven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #328
Homeles
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard View Post
And thus the flame war continues
You should try posting something constructive.
Homeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #329
Rikard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post
You should try posting something constructive.
I certainly will if you post a constructive reply to my previous posts. Your last previous post was neither constructive nor on topic, but I believe that you can do better.

Last edited by Rikard; 01-09-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #330
hyrule4927

Honestly I've never noticed this issue (think I'm just micro-stutter immune or something), but I'm happy to see AMD following up on these sort of things.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #331
Rikard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrule4927 View Post
Honestly I've never noticed this issue (think I'm just micro-stutter immune or something), but I'm happy to see AMD following up on these sort of things.
Exactly. The effect is so small that I cannot see it even when I looking for it, nor can my "blind testers" see anything either. It seems like most people who have a problem with the micro stuttering in the 7950 never actually owned one. But if AMD will improve the situation for those that actually have a problem I see no reason why anybody would be complaining.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #332
HurleyBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard View Post
Exactly. The effect is so small that I cannot see it even when I looking for it, nor can my "blind testers" see anything either.
Of course you can't see it. 'Stutter' manifests itself as lower perceived frame rate, and if that perceived frame rate is still over your threshold for smoothness, you'll view it as smooth.

If I had you play a game at 50FPS and told you that it was running at 60FPS, would you be able to notice? Would you call me out on it? Would anything jump out at you? Of course not, but that doesn't change the fact 60FPS is better and smoother than 50FPS. The same is true when it comes to the distribution of frames in a more even vs. less even manner. Just because you can't "see" it doesn't mean that uneven frame distribution doesn't have a detrimental effect on gameplay.

Last edited by HurleyBird; 01-09-2013 at 04:50 AM.
HurleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #333
BrightCandle
Diamond Member

One of the best ways I have seen to show the impact of microstutter is to have two machines side by side where one of them is doing it and the other is not. It becomes immediately apparent something is wrong on the stuttering machine despite its decent frame rate. Your eyes notice the stutter comparatively. Once you have seen that you have trained your brain to recognise it.

But microstutter comes in different magnitudes. A 2ms swing I doubt anyone could notice. 16ms effectively halves the frame rate on a 60hz monitor (30fps) and beyond that the appearance is below 30fps so almost everyone notices 20ms and beyond.
BrightCandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #334
Rikard

Quote:
Of course you can't see it. 'Stutter' manifests itself as lower perceived frame rate, and if that perceived frame rate is still over your threshold for smoothness, you'll view it as smooth.

If I had you play a game at 50FPS and told you that it was running at 60FPS, would you be able to notice? Would you call me out on it? Would anything jump out at you? Of course not, but that doesn't change the fact 60FPS is better and smoother than 50FPS. The same is true when it comes to the distribution of frames in a more even vs. less even manner. Just because you can't "see" it doesn't mean that uneven frame distribution doesn't have a detrimental effect on gameplay.
What you say is true. I definitely can see a difference from 40 FPS to 60 FPS, but as you might recall from my previous post I have done my best to reproduce the exact same scenario in Skyrim as TR did, but I only get one frame in a hundred with a latency corresponding to ~43 FPS instantaneous, and with Radeon Pro tweaks it is 1% ~52 FPS instantaneous. That is nowhere near what TR obtained, and this is why I say they have a problem that I cannot reproduce, despite using the exact same card. Maybe there are people that can perceive the latency I obtained, but if every hundredth frame drops from 60 FPS to 52 FPS (on average) I very much doubt the people who can see it are in a majority.

Edit: I should add that having 1% of frames at 50 instantaneous FPS is not as visible as having a constant 50 FPS, but that I think is obvious.

Last edited by Rikard; 01-09-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #335
KCfromNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
That line was taken at 100% in context. Anyone can see that. I'm calling them like I see them bud.
Good for you. Keep fighting the good fight, bud.
KCfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #336
Will Robinson
Golden Member

Cool

Quote:

Obviously you were gaming around during the NVDA 5 series days not so long ago.
Having no doubt seen the huge latency spikes that series had in comparison with the AMD 6 series cards,did you find the stuttering at that high level a problem?
You did see it right?

Will Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #337
HurleyBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Robinson View Post
Obviously you were gaming around during the NVDA 5 series days not so long ago.
Having no doubt seen the huge latency spikes that series had in comparison with the AMD 6 series cards,did you find the stuttering at that high level a problem?
You did see it right?
During the Fermi generation I had a 5870 and then two 6970's in CF. My current card is a 7970. My last Nvidia card was an 8800GTS. If anything I lean slightly towards AMD, but that doesn't stop me from realizing the truth when it's staring me square in the face.

Personally, I'm looking towards an even better gameplay experience from future drivers now that AMD is honing in on evening out frame rate distribution. I'm surprised that so many don't share my anticipation and would rather fight some stupid, uphill fanboy war.

Last edited by HurleyBird; 01-09-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #338
railven
Platinum Member

Someone want to point me towards a guide on how to measure le latencies? I'd like to see what is happening during me WoW adventures.

It is very noticeable on my rig. If I'm not fighting or doing something that requires me to focus, I see the stuttering. I can be flying from one end of a zone to another and the stuttering is very visible.

During this time I usually Alt-Tab or rummage my bags, perhaps why I'm not ripping hair out, but it's still there.
Me: ASRock Z68 Gen3Pro3||Intel i7 2600K@4.2ghz||2x4GB Corsair Vengeance||SLI GTX 660 Ti +100 Offset Power @134%||X-FI Titanium||Vertex 4 128GB/500GB Seagate||Corsair Carbide 500R White||Corsair TX750W||Corsair H60
Her: ASrock Z77 Pro4||Intel i5 3570K||2x4GB Corsair Vengeance||EVGA GTX 680 + 100 Offset||ASUS Xonar DG||Intel 320 128GB/500GB Seagate||Cooler Master Scout||Corsair 600W GS||Cooler Master 212+ Evo
Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #339
BrightCandle
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by railven View Post
Someone want to point me towards a guide on how to measure le latencies? I'd like to see what is happening during me WoW adventures.

It is very noticeable on my rig. If I'm not fighting or doing something that requires me to focus, I see the stuttering. I can be flying from one end of a zone to another and the stuttering is very visible.

During this time I usually Alt-Tab or rummage my bags, perhaps why I'm not ripping hair out, but it's still there.
You needs fraps. In fraps there is an option for capturing frame times. Tick it. Use F11 (or whatever key you set) to capture a a trace. It will produce a .csv file into the benchmark folder, load it into excel/OO calc etc and then create one additional column taking the difference of the frame times. (just =A2-A1 all the way down). Then graph the frames on x and frame times on y and you'll get a chart just like TechReport.

The ideal 60hz picture is one with a straight line at 16.6ms. If its consistently higher than that, say 33.3 then its 30fps (1000/frametime = fps) and its just poor frames per second causing the poor feeling of motion. If however what is happening is its got a consistent back and forth spiking around 16.6ms then that is microstutter and I am calling the magnitude the difference of the top and the bottom. So an oscillation from 10 to 22ms is 12ms microstutter. If you see big jumps from a standard level then those are just momentary drops of fps, most people just call that a stutter or a judder.

So the 3 types of performance problem we can look for in frame time graphs are:
1) Microstutter - oscillations around some average frame time that keeps going above and below that average over and over.
2) Stutter - A big swing (up or down) for a moment that causes a jump in the game play.
3) Poor frame time - an average frame time that is not producing a good fps. Ideally it should read 16.6ms (1000/60), for 30 fps (1000/30) = 33.3ms.

If you want to get fancy I am also interested in the amount of variance in the variance. That is take the difference of the frame times to each other If you graph that you will get a graph that oscillates around the 0 point, goes positive and negative and it shows the amount of change. What I originally thought would happen when I took the deriative of frame times was that if I abs() the values I would get a consistent picture showing the amount of microstutter as a straight graph as well as seeing the judders. But I dont see that, I actually see just as much variance in the variance for all the traces I have. Feel free to make a thread with your graphs and link to your data and some system specs as I would love to add it to my collection of traces that show stutter that a user can see.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #340
railven
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightCandle View Post
You needs fraps. In fraps there is an option for capturing frame times. Tick it. Use F11 (or whatever key you set) to capture a a trace. It will produce a .csv file into the benchmark folder, load it into excel/OO calc etc and then create one additional column taking the difference of the frame times. (just =A2-A1 all the way down). Then graph the frames on x and frame times on y and you'll get a chart just like TechReport.

The ideal 60hz picture is one with a straight line at 16.6ms. If its consistently higher than that, say 33.3 then its 30fps (1000/frametime = fps) and its just poor frames per second causing the poor feeling of motion. If however what is happening is its got a consistent back and forth spiking around 16.6ms then that is microstutter and I am calling the magnitude the difference of the top and the bottom. So an oscillation from 10 to 22ms is 12ms microstutter. If you see big jumps from a standard level then those are just momentary drops of fps, most people just call that a stutter or a judder.

So the 3 types of performance problem we can look for in frame time graphs are:
1) Microstutter - oscillations around some average frame time that keeps going above and below that average over and over.
2) Stutter - A big swing (up or down) for a moment that causes a jump in the game play.
3) Poor frame time - an average frame time that is not producing a good fps. Ideally it should read 16.6ms (1000/60), for 30 fps (1000/30) = 33.3ms.

If you want to get fancy I am also interested in the amount of variance in the variance. That is take the difference of the frame times to each other If you graph that you will get a graph that oscillates around the 0 point, goes positive and negative and it shows the amount of change. What I originally thought would happen when I took the deriative of frame times was that if I abs() the values I would get a consistent picture showing the amount of microstutter as a straight graph as well as seeing the judders. But I dont see that, I actually see just as much variance in the variance for all the traces I have. Feel free to make a thread with your graphs and link to your data and some system specs as I would love to add it to my collection of traces that show stutter that a user can see.

Thanks for the info. I got le Fraps, however I don't got any Office Software installed. I'm sure I can possibly use Google Docs. I'll give it a shot and see what's under the hood.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #341
willomz

Yeah Google Docs will do the job nicely.
willomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #342
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Quote:
During the Fermi generation I had a 5870 and then two 6970's in CF. My current card is a 7970. My last Nvidia card was an 8800GTS. If anything I lean slightly towards AMD, but that doesn't stop me from realizing the truth when it's staring me square in the face.

Personally, I'm looking towards an even better gameplay experience from future drivers now that AMD is honing in on evening out frame rate distribution. I'm surprised that so many don't share my anticipation and would rather fight some stupid, uphill fanboy war.
I share your anticipation, but it's hard to deal with the fanboys who don't even use an amd GPU telling me my card is unplayable even though it's fine.

Amd working on a fix is going to make an already excellent GPU better.

Stop with the fanboy references

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by esquared; 01-09-2013 at 04:52 PM.
VulgarDisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #343
willomz

I don't think anyone has said unplayable, that is subjective anyway.

Maybe the 7970 is fine, maybe you just don't notice stutter. This doesn't mean that other people don't notice and that it doesn't detract from their gameplay experience.

Let's hope the investigation continues and we find out more about which cards it affects and in which games/situations.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #344
96Firebird
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
I share your anticipation, but it's hard to deal with the fanboys who don't even use an amd GPU telling me my card is unplayable even though it's fine.
Please, get it through your thick skull that nobody is forcing you to believe anything about your beloved card.

If you think it's fine, great. Stop posting. It doesn't concern you.

It is indeed hard to deal with the fanboys, won't argue with you there...

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

BF4: JDubz313

Last edited by esquared; 01-09-2013 at 04:51 PM.
96Firebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #345
AnandThenMan
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Firebird View Post
Please, get it through your thick skull that nobody is forcing you to believe anything about your beloved card.

If you think it's fine, great. Stop posting. It doesn't concern you.

It is indeed hard to deal with the fanboys, won't argue with you there...
lol what are you so angry about?
AnandThenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #346
BrightCandle
Diamond Member

Anyone that uses the fanboi word is getting reported. Simple as that. This isn't P&N, we can't just keep throwing insults around. Please stop, this is not P&N.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #347
96Firebird
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandThenMan View Post
lol what are you so angry about?
Stupid posters.

I come here to get more info about what is going on and how it can be fixed, and I have to swim through a mudhole of useless posts, such as the one above. Guess I should go back to the more useful parts of the forum...

BF4: JDubz313
96Firebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #348
willomz

People who are interested in this research are getting annoyed by AMD fanboys who come into the thread saying "I personally can't see an issue on my PC therefore there can't possibly be an issue".

What they perceive as an individual is totally irrelevant. If someone did a scientific survey that would be interesting, personal anecdotes are not.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by esquared; 01-09-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #349
ICDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by willomz View Post
People who are interested in this research are getting annoyed by AMD fanboys who come into the thread saying "I personally can't see an issue on my PC therefore there can't possibly be an issue".

What they perceive as an individual is totally irrelevant. If someone did a scientific survey that would be interesting, personal anecdotes are not.
At first I was an ardent believer that this was all BS, now it believe it is only down to a few games and can be fixed easily. While TR did find some problems and if AMD improve their drivers as a result then excellent. Unfortunately some are making out the issue is in every game and that AMD increased FPS at the expense of smoothness all across the board with their "never settle" drivers.

My testing of Skyrim did indeed show serious stutter, but it was easily fixed. Other games as showed no such problems. I even tested Hitman in the exact same level TR did and found no problems with frame times.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2289641

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...&postcount=550

So while there is problems it is generally an individual game profile problem and can be fixed.
ICDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #350
HurleyBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
Where exactly did they say that?