· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #51
Wardawg1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou View Post
M&B warband was a little too simulatory for people.

the games can be very hard to tell apart though lol
I was very disappointed with M&B multiplayer. All the servers were laggy, the weapons seemed unbalanced, and I was never that big a fan of infantry combat in M&B. This is why I was so skeptical of Chivalry. The combat feels very different despite being essentially the exact same thing. Chivalry does seem a bit more 'arcade-y' though, and all the weapons have clear advantages and disadvantages. Archery is more balanced as well, its rarely a 1 hit kill (believe only a headshot instakills) and accuracy is a lot lower.
Wardawg1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #52
goobernoodles
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
I passed it cause i couldn't imagine sword in first person being any fun, like how it sucks in Oblivion, if nothing else getting old quick.
I hope your life choices show better judgement than this.

That picture is awesome lol.
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR3 1866
Video: EVGA GTX 780TI w/ Monoprice 27" IPS-ZERO-G 2560x1440
Drives: 2x Crucial M4 128Gb SSD in RAID-0
goobernoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #53
PingSpike
Lifer

I haven't played this game yet, but mount and blade has a brutal learning curve. You really can't play on servers with pings above 100 either without a pretty serious handicap. Mount and blade doesn't have one hit archery either though besides head shots or if you aren't wearing any armor. I'd argue that the mount and blade two handed weapons mostly swing to fast. Its a pretty rewarding game, but even after I got a lot better at it I can go on battle servers and get exposed by the insane archers that frequent those servers.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #54
Wardawg1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingSpike View Post
I haven't played this game yet, but mount and blade has a brutal learning curve. You really can't play on servers with pings above 100 either without a pretty serious handicap. Mount and blade doesn't have one hit archery either though besides head shots or if you aren't wearing any armor. I'd argue that the mount and blade two handed weapons mostly swing to fast. Its a pretty rewarding game, but even after I got a lot better at it I can go on battle servers and get exposed by the insane archers that frequent those servers.
The learning curve for Medieval is much lower than M&B. Even as a veteran of single player M&B (hundreds of hours), I got my ass handed to me as soon as I jumped in to multiplayer (granted, I hadn't played M&B for several months, but still). I played for a couple hours and it really never got any better. Archers were way too effective, and as you noticed as well any kind of lag puts you at a serious disadvantage.

Medieval was a pretty similar experience for the first 5 matches or so, but once you get down the basics of timing blocks, weapon reach, advantages and disadvantages of thrust/swing/overhead, when to combo, etc, it becomes a lot more forgiving. Once you unlock some of the advanced weapons things get a lot better (though by no means are you just a meat shield until then). It took probably 15-20 full games before I really felt like I was able to hold my own. I've got probably 20-25 hours played now, I still get my ass kicked consistently by people who are clearly better than me, but I've managed to place in the top 3 in 20+ person FFA matches several times, and I'm usually one of the top 5 contributors in team/objective based matches.

Weapon balance and uniqueness really sets the game apart I think, which is quite an accomplishment when they all have the same basic set of 3 moves and little else. Two handed weapons have quite an obvious reach and damage advantage, but their long wind-up time makes it easy for someone with a faster one handed weapon to 'stagger' you (you are momentarily stunned if you get struck while you are winding up your attack, i.e. pulling the weapon back before swinging it forward). Also two handed weapons have a long animation time which makes it possible for people to come in and strike you during that animation before you can put your block up. Even within the 1-handed and 2-handed weapon types there are distinct differences. The two handed sword is probably the fastest of the two handed weapon types and has a nice broad horizontal strike that is very effective, while the halberd is much slower but has a much more effective thrust/overhead with superior reach. The 2-handed axes/hammers seems to have a little less reach than even the sword, but are quite fast as well and do more damage. Similar differences exist in the 1-handed weapon types. It may seem simple, just minor differences in the numbers, but when you really get in to it all the weapons really feel like they have their own style, and more importantly it makes you approach each fight just a little differently based on their class/weapon/armor, which keeps the gameplay fresh.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #55
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member

Yea after a few dozen matches, I am consistantly at the top 1-3 people on a server and I'm only at rank 6.

I've actually found that the mace might be the best overall weapon in the game (besides maybe the pole...forget the name).

The World Needs a Reset Button.
ImpulsE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #56
Udgnim
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsE69 View Post
Yea after a few dozen matches, I am consistantly at the top 1-3 people on a server and I'm only at rank 6.

I've actually found that the mace might be the best overall weapon in the game (besides maybe the pole...forget the name).
Halbred is a bad player destroyer
Udgnim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #57
goobernoodles
Golden Member

I'm quoting a post from another forum because it's right on point about this game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckSov
This game is fucking gold. My favourite taunt would have to be the Mason vanguard: "You're like a wench, who's natural gifts were poor".

But just quoting things on a message board doens't do this game justice. Everything in this game is about the delivery. The voice commands, that visceral feeling of crushing someones head, the THWOMP of a catapault boulder taking out a mason knight charging at you screaming bloody murder (as well as taking out two of your buddies, leaving a net gain of a teamkill): its just all so majestic in motion.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #58
TallBill
Lifer

Damnit now I want a PC.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #59
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member

the THWOMP of a catapault boulder taking out a mason knight charging at you screaming bloody murder (as well as taking out two of your buddies, leaving a net gain of a teamkill): its just all so majestic in motion.

And boy do your teammates get pissed when you kill them with the catapult lmao. I've been kicked a few times over that . My record is 5 people with one throw. (3 opposing, 2 tk's)

I think my favorite map might be that Arabian looking one. It is huge, very detailed..looks like something inspired by a few CS/Tactical Ops maps.

The World Needs a Reset Button.
ImpulsE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #60
goobernoodles
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsE69 View Post
the THWOMP of a catapault boulder taking out a mason knight charging at you screaming bloody murder (as well as taking out two of your buddies, leaving a net gain of a teamkill): its just all so majestic in motion.

And boy do your teammates get pissed when you kill them with the catapult lmao. I've been kicked a few times over that

I think my favorite map might be that Arabian looking one. It is huge, very detailed..looks like something inspired by a few CS/Tactical Ops maps.
Hahaha

Yeah that's a pretty good map. I don't play it too much because I usually like playing on TO servers and that's a FFA/TDM map, but it's definitely a great map. Great detail, tons of different little nooks and crannies. I really can't wait for just... MORE.

I think this is the first time I've bought a game for a gaming buddy I've never met because of how awesome it is. Doesn't hurt that it's cheap.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #61
mizzou
Diamond Member

I love being an archer and being chased down by a knight or MAA, and then switching to my blade and pwning them easily.
mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #62
Wardawg1001

Archers can be a real pain in the ass. I mostly play two handed weapons and it can be insanely difficult to get a swing off against the ridiculously fast sword/dagger of an archer. Thankfully one combo is all it takes to kill one, so if they manage to dodge/block my first hit, I'll usually end up taking a hit or two, throw up a block, create just a little distance by side-stepping, then take em out with a horizontal-horizontal combo. The key is creating just barely enough distance that you both swing at the same time but theirs doesn't reach you. If you are too close and they land their hit, it will probably stagger you and leave you open to a follow up hit as well. If you are too far away that they don't swing then they will just block and you will not be able to counter-block in time to stop their attack.

Its a dangerous game to play, if you get too close and they start hitting you, there isn't much you can do. A good archer knows how to keep you in their melee range once you are in it, and theres no way to win that battle.

Last edited by Wardawg1001; 01-08-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #63
SphinxnihpS
Diamond Member

Agathaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
SphinxnihpS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #64
datalink7
Lifer

So far my two favorite classes to play are the Vanguard with the Zweihander, and the Crossbowman with the Heavy Crossbow. Unlocking the Heavy Crossbow was worth it. Some of the third row weapons don't seem that much better than the lower tier ones, but IMO the Heavy Crossbow is amazing.
Now our feelings run deep and cold as the clay.
And strung out behind us the banners and flags
Of our possible pasts lie in tatters and rags.
datalink7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #65
Wardawg1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by datalink7 View Post
So far my two favorite classes to play are the Vanguard with the Zweihander, and the Crossbowman with the Heavy Crossbow. Unlocking the Heavy Crossbow was worth it. Some of the third row weapons don't seem that much better than the lower tier ones, but IMO the Heavy Crossbow is amazing.
Thats funny because the only third row weapon I've unlocked that seemed like a step down was the Zweihander. It is far too slow for its minor reach/damage boost over the Claymore (2nd row 2h sword for the Vanguard). I'd say it seems to be the general consensus in the community as well, I see plenty of people running around with the Claymore (one of the most powerful weapons in the game IMO), but it is very rare to see someone using the Zweihander. Its not that hard to unlock either so I doubt that has anything to do with it.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #66
TJCS

We really need a AT arena3 ffa server

If someone is hosting one I would love to join.

TJCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #67
TJCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardawg1001 View Post
Thats funny because the only third row weapon I've unlocked that seemed like a step down was the Zweihander. It is far too slow for its minor reach/damage boost over the Claymore (2nd row 2h sword for the Vanguard). I'd say it seems to be the general consensus in the community as well, I see plenty of people running around with the Claymore (one of the most powerful weapons in the game IMO), but it is very rare to see someone using the Zweihander. Its not that hard to unlock either so I doubt that has anything to do with it.
Claymore is one of my favorite weapons in this game. When I use it people call me whore, then I change to falchion and they start calling me faggot.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #68
mizzou
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCS View Post
Claymore is one of my favorite weapons in this game. When I use it people call me whore, then I change to falchion and they start calling me faggot.
that reminds me of this guy in the server
"Archers are fucking pussies, fight me man to man!"
later,
"Fucking MAA, you are pussies that are afraid to get into a full on fight"
later,
"Fucking knights, pussies hiding behind all that armor afraid to get hit"
later,
"Fucking Vanguards, pussies with their long pole arms afraid to get into combat"

I was like, "Hey, what fucking class can I play and kick your ass that is not going to piss you off?"
mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #69
goobernoodles
Golden Member

I kicked and punched two people off of the bridge to Treb. 4 (I think it's #4) last night and got called a hacker. Because that makes sense.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #70
TJCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou View Post
that reminds me of this guy in the server
"Archers are fucking pussies, fight me man to man!"
later,
"Fucking MAA, you are pussies that are afraid to get into a full on fight"
later,
"Fucking knights, pussies hiding behind all that armor afraid to get hit"
later,
"Fucking Vanguards, pussies with their long pole arms afraid to get into combat"

I was like, "Hey, what fucking class can I play and kick your ass that is not going to piss you off?"
Seriously, and don't forget "LMB spammer!" For people who know how to use RMB, LMB spammer=death.

The only class I think is a bitch in FFA is Archer. Most of the time all they do is shoot people in the back, unlike team objective where you are moving against them. They really need to improve game modes: "No Archer, Fist-only, etc"

@goobernoodles

There is always that. People abusing the votekick system just because you somehow upset them during gameplay. But I think kicking them off the cliff is epic though

Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #71
maevinj

This game is great. I wish I didn't suck so bad at it!
maevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #72
goobernoodles
Golden Member

The CTF game mode is so lame. It would be epic if it was an old school "grab the flag and bring it back to your flag" game mode but it's not. The game mode as is would be significantly better without archers though. I mean seriously, you're supposed to just stand around trying to defend a platform with little cover as archers hit you from the perimeter.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #73
TJCS

You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4BQKovfNNQ

Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #74
Udgnim
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobernoodles View Post
The CTF game mode is so lame. It would be epic if it was an old school "grab the flag and bring it back to your flag" game mode but it's not. The game mode as is would be significantly better without archers though. I mean seriously, you're supposed to just stand around trying to defend a platform with little cover as archers hit you from the perimeter.
sounds like the King of the Hill mode that's already in Chivalry
Udgnim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #75
PingSpike
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobernoodles View Post
Are there no shields in this game?

Last edited by PingSpike; 01-10-2013 at 01:12 PM.
PingSpike is offline   Reply With Quote