· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
NiceCold

Default graphic card not showing on cpu z! laggy video playback!

sudden my computer acts unstable!

my graphic card is not showing on cpu z nor in control panel display adapter! and my video playback is laggy! not smooth! i downloaded "media codec" which seems to fix it but then after a day the playback is laggy again!

from the start when the whole machine starts acting strange:
- computer sudden lock-up for few seconds... then an error message pop up saying "display driver recovered from an error"

- then after it starts constant lock-up every 10, 20 min. then when reboot.... boot up then bam lock-up right away! reboot again... lock-up! recycle! but after i uninstall AVG and disable many services at startup it no longer lock up.

- the psu fan was making strange noise.... like high then low pitch and sound like a junk car without smog. the psn fan was going real slow like beyond normal! and i know my zumax psu adjust the fan speed itself but this is beyond normal! then somehow the psu sounds fine.

it no longer have lock ups but my video playback is laggy! plus my graphic card is not showing in specs! like cpu z and in control panel display adapter.

at first i thought this is a psu problem but after seeing my graphic card does not apear in specs.... makes me wonder if its the graphic card?

update:
it says "windows disable graphic card because it has problem. code 43" in device manager. something like that

what does that mean? how to fix?

vista 32bit
8800 gts

Last edited by NiceCold; 01-08-2013 at 01:52 AM.
NiceCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
TheELF

Well the gpu might be failing because it does not get enough power from the psu...
bottom line you got to check them both by swapping them with 100% working ones but since that might have a bad impact on these "new" parts I would advice you to get a technician.
TheELF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
NiceCold

i just pull out the graphic card and mannn a whole mess of black thick dust on the fan! no wonder when i open up the computer case few days ago i smell dirty dust but all visble area for the naked eyes is not that much dust. so the smells was coming from the graphic card which couldnt be seen untill pull it out.

i cleaned the dust and put it back on then it wont boot! it has a loud fan noise from the card going like super speed! pull it back out.... turns out it wasnt properly sit although i did heard the snap like it was properly sit.

so now boot up fine! check device manager and it reads 8800 gts! yo0o0sh! put on the case cover and sit it vertical back. then put on mouse.... freeze! lock up! hard reboot by holding the power button then it reboot itself.... it supose to shut down but it reboot. then seems fine now.

i think it will lock up again though. i updated nvidia driver but still problem.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
daveybrat
Diamond Member

Unfortunately it really sounds like your video card is dying.

Gaming Rig: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz (CM Hyper 212 EVO)| ASRock Z97 Pro4 | 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 1866 DDR3 | Crucial MX100 256GB SSD | WD 640GB Black | MSI GTX 660 Twin-Frozer III | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair CX750 Watt | Windows 8.1 64-Bit
daveybrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
NiceCold

is it posible that a non-abuse card can just sit there and out of juice?

because i never abuse my card and i quit pc gaming like years ago and just stick to consoles. i got this card since around early 2010 and i dont even game on it much at that time either. i have not even run a single game from the past 12,13,19 months.

forgot to mention that the whole machine has been running without turning it off for over 6 months. even might been a year or 2! and when it was turn off it either been a 2min then turn on back or a reboot. even without gaming... hard weight on the card..... can an almost never shut down machine can cause the card to be out of juice?

is there a program specific to test the card?

theres also a blur smere lines when booting up when loading to logo. it dont have show this before.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
notty22
Diamond Member

I had a 8600gt that died exactly the same way. It also ran non-stop as my HTPC for 2 years+, the caps exploded. It was a XFX model.
One problem those cards had was bumpgate. Solder on the back of the chip would get brittle from heat cycles, and eventually cause issues. Never shutting it off, is supposed to help stop that from happening. Unfortunately, you might have got the card super hot from having it all clogged up from dust.
All you can do is hope and wait/ watch. If you continue to have problems, it's time for a replacement.

240gb SSD, Win 8.1
Let's make sure history never forgets... the name... 'Enterprise'. Picard out.
notty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
NiceCold

Quote:
Originally Posted by notty22 View Post
I had a 8600gt that died exactly the same way. It also ran non-stop as my HTPC for 2 years+, the caps exploded. It was a XFX model.
One problem those cards had was bumpgate. Solder on the back of the chip would get brittle from heat cycles, and eventually cause issues. Never shutting it off, is supposed to help stop that from happening. Unfortunately, you might have got the card super hot from having it all clogged up from dust.
All you can do is hope and wait/ watch. If you continue to have problems, it's time for a replacement.

aww man then its really the card then. whats bumpgate? i see like white dried paste under the cap of the card btween the board. whats that? bumpgate?

anyway im trying to swap it out with ati card. do i uninstall nvidia driver first before installing the ati card? or i can just stick the ati card in and no problem? is it important to uninstall nvndia driver first?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
notty22
Diamond Member

Best to uninstall the driver.
The computer will probably tell you to reboot.
Change card then.
Have the new AMD driver already d/l, so you can just launch it, on boot.

240gb SSD, Win 8.1
Let's make sure history never forgets... the name... 'Enterprise'. Picard out.
notty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
NiceCold

alright

i have done:
- changed power supply to antec
- took off graphic card and just use default monitor hole
- took off ram sticks one by one

all checked. video playback is still slow mo... its not really laggy but slow mo! so is this mean my 8800 gts not the issue?

what have cause my video playback on windows media or even vlc player to go slo mo?

i have check hardwares and dont seems to be the problem.