· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
William Hack

Default Windows 8 Sucks

I upgraded to Win 8 from 7 and found it to suck. Nothing uninstalls or updates after you have gone to Win 8. I wish I never upgraded and as Win 7 was working just fine I wish I would have stayed with it. Win 8 does nothing for me at this time.

Last edited by William Hack; 01-07-2013 at 11:56 AM.
William Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
nOOky

IBTL. Have you had a chance to read through the thread stickied at the top of this page?
System 1: i7-2600K @ 4.4GHz, Asus P8P67 PRO, 2X8 G-SKILL DDR3 1600, Hyper 212+, Sapphire 7970, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Win 8 Pro, Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB - Windows 7, all in a HAF-X with an Asus VW266H.
System 2: FX6300 @ 4.5, Asus M5A97 R2.0, 2 x 4 G-Skill 1600, Corsair Force GT 180 - Windows 8, HD6870, 32" Panasonic monitor 1080p.
System 3: Asus laptop, Windows 8. Intel 160GB SSD, G50Vt-X5.
nOOky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Nothinman
Elite Member

I came into this thread looking for real facts on what's wrong with Win8 and found it to suck.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
MontyAC
Diamond Member

Nothing to see here
MontyAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Nothingman, when people say it sucks it sucks. There is reason why people make such remarks. Considering how Win7 sucks to me I'm sure the Win8 is even worse.

Hey do you know the fix to have my internal 3TB hard drive to be recognized as full 3TB in Server 2003? It's only seeing as 750GB. You got any quick fix / patch to this thing?

thanks,

cheezy
Saying something sucks without backing it up with facts is meaningless, especially when everyone doesn't think it sucks.

For the hd, is it a MBR issue? MBR can't utilize partitions over 2tb. You'd need GPT

Edit:
gb - tb
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
I tried by converting to GPT disk via disk mgmt but it made no difference. It only sees it as 750GB. I tell ya Server 2003 sux!
Maybe the drive is bad. I may be talking out my ass, but 750gb would be one platter in a 4 platter system. Maybe the heads are dead on the rest?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Nothingman, when people say it sucks it sucks. There is reason why people make such remarks. Considering how Win7 sucks to me I'm sure the Win8 is even worse.

Hey do you know the fix to have my internal 3TB hard drive to be recognized as full 3TB in Server 2003? It's only seeing as 750GB. You got any quick fix / patch to this thing?

thanks,

cheezy
No, when people say something sucks that just means they think it sucks. They're entitled to that opinion, but it's just an opinion. I've been saying every release of Windows sucks for the past ~20 years and yet people keep using it for some reason.

Server 2003 from SP1 and up should support GPT without a problem, do you have at least SP1? If so, then converting to GPT is the right answer and really all you need to do. If the volume is still showing at 750G it might just be grown to include the remaining free space.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Zxian

Or the hardware he's using doesn't support volumes that large. I ran Server 2003 with 1TB and 2TB drives without any issues (both of which show up as more than 750TiB in Disk Management). Poor controllers or incorrect drivers could cause his issues.

I spell PEBKAC. I've run everything from 2000 to 2008R2 (haven't had the time to test out Win8/2012 yet) without any issues.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
lakedude
Golden Member

Windows 8 had some nice features. The entire OS does not "suck".

That said the UI sucks for desktop and especially for laptops with touch-pads. One should not need to "learn how to use Metro", one should be able just use Metro.

Would it really have been that hard to include things like a start menu including a stinking off button? There really should be an option on first boot to configure W8 perhaps 3 ways, one for touch screen, one for desktop and one for touch-pad laptop.

I've pretty much got it figured out now but it shouldn't have been so difficult.

The edge swipes are the worst when you have a touch-pad! That crap needs to be off for touch-pad users or full screen Metro stuff just pops up seemingly from nowhere.

Yes a registry edit will solve the problem but it should be easier than all that...
lakedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxian View Post
Or the hardware he's using doesn't support volumes that large. I ran Server 2003 with 1TB and 2TB drives without any issues (both of which show up as more than 750TiB in Disk Management). Poor controllers or incorrect drivers could cause his issues.

I spell PEBKAC. I've run everything from 2000 to 2008R2 (haven't had the time to test out Win8/2012 yet) without any issues.
Possible but unlikely. The last hardware size issue I ran into was IDE/PATA controllers not supporting LBA48 and that was a decade ago. But that's simple to rule out just by looking in Windows' Disk Management MMC snap-in.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
colonelciller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
No, when people say something sucks that just means they think it sucks. They're entitled to that opinion, but it's just an opinion.
same goes for people who say it's great... all just opinions. Different people have different things that they value. One guy likes "under the hood improvements", another gal likes the fact that her new computer prohibits her for ever installing an OS other than the one that came pre-installed... and yet another likes the start button, quick launch bar and Windows 7 to the exclusion of windows 8.

Opinions are all we have. The only relevant question is did they make an OS with Metro that garners an overwhelming acceptance or an overwhelming rejection (of opinion).

QED
colonelciller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelciller View Post
same goes for people who say it's great... all just opinions. Different people have different things that they value. One guy likes "under the hood improvements", another gal likes the fact that her new computer prohibits her for ever installing an OS other than the one that came pre-installed... and yet another likes the start button, quick launch bar and Windows 7 to the exclusion of windows 8.

Opinions are all we have. The only relevant question is did they make an OS with Metro that garners an overwhelming acceptance or an overwhelming rejection (of opinion).

QED
The question is barely relevant because the large majority of people will get Win8 with their new PC and stick with it regardless of their initial shock and fear. I'm not sure how much MS will push forward with the Start Screen or if they'll back-peddle some and offer an alternative, but the reality is that most people want Windows even if they can't articulate why and will just use whatever MS gives them. Just like has already happened with the XP "Fisher Price UI", Vista all around complaints and whatever other bitching has come with virtually every release of Windows.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Nothingman, it has Service Pack 2. Like I said I tried converting to GPT disk but it still only limited to 750GB. Guess what, I checked out Microsoft KB and it mentions the Server 2003 does not have support for large drives (3TB and higher).

Looks like the only way to get this drive to work is for me to setup a dual boot, Server 2008. Or setup a NAS or another computer.

This shucks....
What's the URL for the KB that you found? Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? One would think if it didn't support 3TB drives you would see 2.xTB, not 750G.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
imagoon
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nothingman, it has Service Pack 2. Like I said I tried converting to GPT disk but it still only limited to 750GB. Guess what, I checked out Microsoft KB and it mentions the Server 2003 does not have support for large drives (3TB and higher).

Looks like the only way to get this drive to work is for me to setup a dual boot, Server 2008. Or setup a NAS or another computer.

This shucks....
Ssssh don't tell that to my 2k3 server with the 8TB lun. You are seeing controller issues. It needs a firmware update / updated drivers.
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
uallas5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoon View Post
Ssssh don't tell that to my 2k3 server with the 8TB lun. You are seeing controller issues. It needs a firmware update / updated drivers.
QFT...got one 2003 server here that has a 8TB SAN.

"The Problem With the World is That Everyone is a Few Drinks Behind" - Humphrey Bogart
uallas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm talking about an internal hard drive, not external USB hard drives or SAN. I have no problem accessing my 3TB external USB hard drive.
Then that definitely says it's a controller or driver issue and not anything with Server 2003 itself.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../gg463525.aspx

Quote:
For Windows Server 2003 SP1, Windows XP x64 edition, and later versions, the maximum raw partition of 18 exabytes can be supported. (Windows file systems currently are limited to 256 terabytes each.)
Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
KeypoX
Diamond Member

Quote:

QED
Great and Sucks are meaningless and claims of people that cannot express themselves. It isn't all just opinions, there are plenty of facts supporting claims that win8 is faster, and that it is less efficient.

You have to weigh your options. Personally I like the new features and added benefits, and with start8 I'm content.
KeypoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
IHAVEAQUESTION
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeypoX View Post
Great and Sucks are meaningless and claims of people that cannot express themselves...

Personally I like the new features and added benefits, and with start8 I'm content.

Why should average Joe care what you like when you can't provide facts to back it up either?

Opinion is not meaningless. It's just cheap. Because everyone can have one.
IHAVEAQUESTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Do people not read forum rules about Windows 8 crapping? -_-
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
Not applicable to the OP. The rules are to prevent someone asking for help regarding Win8, and people posting in the thread to merely bitch about Win8 without providing on topic technical help. A thread started as an opinion piece is fair game either way.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
imagoon
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
Wait, this is a Windows 8 post? I thought we were diagnosing 2k3 > 2TB disk issues
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #22
Zaap
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, I thought tech forums were just for slavishly praising products of big corporations; just one big endless circle-jerk of "Oh it's sooo great!" "Ohh I love it!" "Ohh it's sooooo wonderful" not actually discussing the merits (both good AND BAD) about tech-related products.

Because blind loyalty with no mention of negatives if of course what always drives technology forward.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaap View Post
Yeah, I thought tech forums were just for slavishly praising products of big corporations; just one big endless circle-jerk of "Oh it's sooo great!" "Ohh I love it!" "Ohh it's sooooo wonderful" not actually discussing the merits (both good AND BAD) about tech-related products.

Because blind loyalty with no mention of negatives if of course what always drives technology forward.
It's not about silencing negative comments, but expressing them with some sort of substance. Screaming "WAAAAH X SUCKS!" just makes you look like a petulant child, while "I really don't like this because it does X when I think it should do Y." is something an adult would write and allows room for a real conversation about the changes.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #24
Zaap
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
It's not about silencing negative comments, but expressing them with some sort of substance. Screaming "WAAAAH X SUCKS!" just makes you look like a petulant child, while "I really don't like this because it does X when I think it should do Y." is something an adult would write and allows room for a real conversation about the changes.
People have stated what they dislike about Windows 8 and why they think it sucks.

It's the shills that have nothing of substance to add, other than the usual "Oh you just hate change!" "Oh you need to learn how to use it!" "Oh you need to make it into a half-assed version of what actually does work, then it's great." etc. etc.

That's not exactly real conversation.

Face it, products that don't suck don't need to put people on the defensive the way Windows 8 does. I've never seen anyone get all butt-hurt over anyone's criticisms of an OS that doesn't suck, like say, Windows 7. It simply doesn't need all the overly defensive nonsense, it stands on it's own as a great OS. It's telling that Win8 doesn't.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #25
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

I'm going to leave this thread open for now, but if it's to stay open more substance needs to develop. As it stands it's largely 32 posts of empty calories.

-ViRGE
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote