· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Fritzo
Lifer

Default A year late, but I finally finished Mass Effect 3

...and I'm pissed.

I was afraid to finish it because everyone said the ending sucked. Then they came out with the "enhanced" ending a couple of months back, so I decided to finish it.

What a terrible, depressing, nonsensical ending. I think they spent so much time on the lame multiplayer that they had to skip all the polish and detail of the first two games, then they weren't sure how to end the damn thing. What they came up with would be like George Lucas saying "At the end of Return of the Jedi, let's kill off Luke for no good reason, and maybe strip the Force from the universe. Yeah...that's good story telling!"

I'm pissed, but not as much as this guy:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...dex/10065503/1
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
surfsatwerk
Diamond Member

Bioware is dead to me. Never thought I would utter those words.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

I finished it for the first time (as well as the first two games) over the holidays. I actually liked the endings. It's very Mass Effect for there to be no 'ultimate' ending imo; choices in the series were rarely 'black' and 'white' and I see no reason for the ending to be so either. Each option has it's positives and negatives, it's up to you to decide whether the future of the galaxy is more important to you than Shepherd's own life essentially and what role the reapers should play in that future, if any.

Aside from the footage being re-used between endings (which one could argue is thematically indicative of the idea that no matter what you do, the galaxy will still "go on" one way or another anyway), I still don't see the problem. It's a decision based on what you personally think is right and wrong; what's more ME than that?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Doppel
Lifer

The ending sucked but the rest of the game was so excellent I can look past it. Was the best game I played last year.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Red Hawk
Platinum Member

You seem to think Shepard has to die and the mass relays get destroyed in the end. The former doesn't have to happen, and the latter doesn't happen with the extended cut. Are you sure you played with the extended cut?

ME3 had more developement time than ME2, so I doubt multiplayer or rushing was really an issue; it was just a creative failure. For what it's worth, the Leviathan DLC improves the ending by setting it up earlier. It should have been in the original game, really.
Desktop: Thermaltake V-4 Black case | Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 | Core i5 2500k @ 4 GHz | ASUS Radeon HD 7870 DirectCU II 2 GB @ 1110 MHz | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM 1333 MHz | 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD & Western Digital 500 GB HDD | Antec 650w PSU | Acer 1080p 60 Hz 21.5'' | Windows 8.1 Professional
Laptop: ASUS K52Jr-X5 | Core i3-350m @ 2.26 GHz| Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1 GB @ 750 MHz 4 GB DDR3 RAM | 90 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD | 1366x768 15.6'' | Windows 8.1 Professional
Red Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkewaffle View Post
I finished it for the first time (as well as the first two games) over the holidays. I actually liked the endings. It's very Mass Effect for there to be no 'ultimate' ending imo; choices in the series were rarely 'black' and 'white' and I see no reason for the ending to be so either. Each option has it's positives and negatives, it's up to you to decide whether the future of the galaxy is more important to you than Shepherd's own life essentially and what role the reapers should play in that future, if any.

Aside from the footage being re-used between endings (which one could argue is thematically indicative of the idea that no matter what you do, the galaxy will still "go on" one way or another anyway), I still don't see the problem. It's a decision based on what you personally think is right and wrong; what's more ME than that?
The endings stank because 1) All your previous decisions from ME1, ME2, and ME3 are meaningless. They don't impact the endings you get at all. 2) In the original cut ending, all three endings resulted in a dead Sheppard and a completely destroyed galaxy. Only partially resolved in the extended cut ending. 3) The Star Child that shows up at the end, explains everything and removes all the mystique from the reapers, introducing a new character in the last 10 minutes of any story solely to wrap it up is piss poor story telling. 4) The massive plot holes, more in the original cut, but they still exist in the extended cut. Things that Sheppard, regardless of your decisions and play style, would never do. 5) You don't get a shred of closure on any of your squad members or romance choice. 6) The final slap in the face, at least, to me, the prompt to go buy more DLC after ME3's credits roll.

The multiplayer had no place in the game, and they shouldn't have wasted any money or time building it in the first place.
Bateluer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
surfsatwerk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
The endings stank because 1) All your previous decisions from ME1, ME2, and ME3 are meaningless. They don't impact the endings you get at all. 2) In the original cut ending, all three endings resulted in a dead Sheppard and a completely destroyed galaxy. Only partially resolved in the extended cut ending. 3) The Star Child that shows up at the end, explains everything and removes all the mystique from the reapers, introducing a new character in the last 10 minutes of any story solely to wrap it up is piss poor story telling. 4) The massive plot holes, more in the original cut, but they still exist in the extended cut. Things that Sheppard, regardless of your decisions and play style, would never do. 5) You don't get a shred of closure on any of your squad members or romance choice. 6) The final slap in the face, at least, to me, the prompt to go buy more DLC after ME3's credits roll.

The multiplayer had no place in the game, and they shouldn't have wasted any money or time building it in the first place.
I say Hallelujah!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Red Storm
Lifer

If you're a fan of the old Bioware:

ME1 > ME2 > ME3

If you're a fan of the new Bioware:

ME3 > ME2 > ME1
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:

On top of that, I LOLed when I ran into the beam, merged with the reapers or whatever, watched the cut scenes and touching conclusions, and then after the credits I ended up on the bridge again like nothing happened.

I was like "WTF- did I dream that?"
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
You seem to think Shepard has to die and the mass relays get destroyed in the end. The former doesn't have to happen, and the latter doesn't happen with the extended cut. Are you sure you played with the extended cut?

ME3 had more developement time than ME2, so I doubt multiplayer or rushing was really an issue; it was just a creative failure. For what it's worth, the Leviathan DLC improves the ending by setting it up earlier. It should have been in the original game, really.
In my ending, Anderson died, the Mass Relays are still there, and not all living things have this stupid green glowy glitter stuff all over them. Probably pissed a lot of people off.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
TallBill
Lifer

Erm... I like the idea that Shepard was indoctrinated... which makes the endings pretty amazing.

Slammin!
TallBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Anteaus
Golden Member

Anyone else feel like ME3 was written by a completely different person than ME 1&2? I'm not saying the game is bad but Shepard seems like a completely different person when you compare the dialogue from the first two games versus this one. Also, unlike the first two games, many of the side questions are not only arbitrary but completely petty as a way to shove characters into the game. Miranda is one of the most powerful biotics in the universe and managed to overcome multiple assassination attempts by the Illusive man's elite squads, but here she is asking Shepard to help with her sister?

Plus there are just other things that make no sense. I spent ME2 building my dream team and getting their loyalty. ME3 starts and the military is in charge of the Normandy and my entire team is gone? Why didn't the Illusive Man just destroy the Normandy while she was in dry dock if he was so pissed? He has obviously no problem with having his troops kill me on missions so obviously I'm not that important to him. Also, my new crew sucks. Compared to the last game they have paper thin personalities. I'm the savier of the human race and all the military could drum up is a muscle-head with an anger complex? ME2 left me at a high point and staged for the final chapter. With the exception of the new Normandy and a few reminders, ME3 takes away all of the prestige you earned from the first two games and expects you to rebuild for the third time ad-nauseum.

Screw the ending, I can't even even get past the first few hours of the game without getting beaten down by how much the plot/dialogue as degenereted from the last game. It's sad because ME3 is so good in other ways. I'm a story person, first and foremost. It's the reason I was able to happily sit through MGS4 even though it was 90% dialogue and the reason why I still feel ME1 is far superior to it's sequels.
Anteaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
badb0y
Diamond Member

It wasn't that bad, people are mad they didn't get a "Shepard killed the Reapers and saved the universe. the end" ending.
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
badb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteaus View Post
Anyone else feel like ME3 was written by a completely different person than ME 1&2? I'm not saying the game is bad but Shepard seems like a completely different person when you compare the dialogue from the first two games versus this one. Also, unlike the first two games, many of the side questions are not only arbitrary but completely petty as a way to shove characters into the game. Miranda is one of the most powerful biotics in the universe and managed to overcome multiple assassination attempts by the Illusive man's elite squads, but here she is asking Shepard to help with her sister?

Plus there are just other things that make no sense. I spent ME2 building my dream team and getting their loyalty. ME3 starts and the military is in charge of the Normandy and my entire team is gone? Why didn't the Illusive Man just destroy the Normandy while she was in dry dock if he was so pissed? He has obviously no problem with having his troops kill me on missions so obviously I'm not that important to him. Also, my new crew sucks. Compared to the last game they have paper thin personalities. I'm the savier of the human race and all the military could drum up is a muscle-head with an anger complex? ME2 left me at a high point and staged for the final chapter. With the exception of the new Normandy and a few reminders, ME3 takes away all of the prestige you earned from the first two games and expects you to rebuild for the third time ad-nauseum.

Screw the ending, I can't even even get past the first few hours of the game without getting beaten down by how much the plot/dialogue as degenereted from the last game. It's sad because ME3 is so good in other ways. I'm a story person, first and foremost. It's the reason I was able to happily sit through MGS4 even though it was 90% dialogue and the reason why I still feel ME1 is far superior to it's sequels.
I noticed that too..big time. The conversations are all "sit and listen"...you can't control responses. They even took away the immensity of the Citadel by making you travel via elevator with 5 buttons on it.

Anyway, I'm going to switch to Far Cry 3. Anyone start that yet?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
PowerYoga
Diamond Member

Quote:
^ this.

They could've easily made your choices actually affect things, but nope. Nothing you do matters, here are 3 random choices with space magic as explanation.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's the lesser of two evils in terms of implementation. They make a difference to your 'war assets' which directly influence your ending possibilities; and pretty much every decision you make alters both small and big things along the way as well. But the other option is to make them a binary switch where "If you didn't save the Rachni, then XYZ" and "If you didn't save the Council, then ABC" and so on and so forth. The problem with that is as soon as players find out they don't like what their choices do they're going to complain even more that they'd have to go all the way back to/through ME1 and ME2 to change it. Further the more weight you give those decisions, the more you take away from someone who just played ME3 or lost their saves or switched consoles/etc. Ultimately I think by making them contribute to your aggregate rather than making them "yes/no" was the right call.

Destroyed how? If you control the reapers or synthesize with them (which as the catalyst says grants the galaxy the collected knowledge, experiences, culture and more from the harvested civilizations through their reaper proxies) the galaxy is on the brink of being greater than it's ever been. And that much is evident/implied without the extended cut, all that does is basically visualize it. Shep's death is not a non issue, but relative to the galaxy's future, it's minor. I think it's appropriate, Shep's role through each game has been as the galaxy's protectorate; I think whether or not he/she would make the ultimate sacrifice is no question.

3, imo

Aside from some questions of lore I can't really think of any major holes at least. Though as Paragon Shep I kind of 'played the part' the whole time, maybe if you were Renegade you'd feel differently about certain actions, but I don't know which.

5 is true without the extension, but at the same time that's a touchy subject given people's attachment to certain crewmembers. I think at least seeing them make it out ok is appropriate (which the extension did) but going much past that would encroach on player's imagination of what comes next for each crewmate, particularly with regards to the romance.

Didn't watch the credits, couldn't say. I did have From the Ashes and the extended cut installed when I beat the game but didn't notice anything saying as much at least.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
Madia

I think the first minute and 5 seconds of Angry Joe's ME3 review shows how all of us felt playing the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFq531vkNOY
Madia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Even without the extended ending there was a way to have Shepard live. If I remember correctly there is a scene showing his body not moving and then as soon as he starts breathing again the credits roll.
VulgarDisplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
sandorski
No Lifer

I stopped after finishing the Mission that precedes the Earth. I am not sure I will finish the Game, perhaps one day I'll want to play through the series again, then finish it.

FX 8320@4ghz||Zalman LQ310||AsusM5A99X EVO R2
||XFX 5870 1gb||16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3||Seasonic M12 II 500watts||Zalman Z9 Plus||Asus MS238H

Science inspires us towards a better tomorrow, Fundamentalism wants us to die.
sandorski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
AlexAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madia View Post
I think the first minute and 5 seconds of Angry Joe's ME3 review shows how all of us felt playing the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFq531vkNOY
That's pretty hilarious.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
pauldun170
Golden Member

Oh boy...
I just started Mass Effect 1 a few days ago (bought it on steam sale)
I'm still getting used to the graphics of yesteryear to pay attention to the story.
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #22
sandorski
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Oh boy...
I'm still getting used to the graphics of yesteryear to pay attention to the story.
The Story is great, especially in the first. Don't ignore it.

FX 8320@4ghz||Zalman LQ310||AsusM5A99X EVO R2
||XFX 5870 1gb||16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3||Seasonic M12 II 500watts||Zalman Z9 Plus||Asus MS238H

Science inspires us towards a better tomorrow, Fundamentalism wants us to die.
sandorski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #23
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Oh boy...

....of yesteryear? it's not THAT old and there isnt THAT much difference between the 3's technology...

The World Needs a Reset Button.
ImpulsE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandorski View Post
The Story is great, especially in the first. Don't ignore it.
Yeah, it just takes a little bit to catch on. I remember first playing the game and there was so much stuff going on and terms I never heard it was a bit overwhelming.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
zerogear
Diamond Member

Story was great in 1st, 2nd one had great character development (story is a bit meh). 3rd one was just a huge money grab.