Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #201
Angry Irishman
Golden Member
 
Angry Irishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldtheCat View Post
No, but trying to explain high school civics to you is tiresome, since you refuse to accept the facts, and arguing based on your emotions and feelings.



So move the goalposts much? Can't argue your points, so try something else?

Did you not say this proposed law is illegal?







You quite clear in saying that you believe this proposed bill is unconstitutional. NOT that you are now just disagreeing with it. But I guess you bailed on that premise after getting shot down by several people, and have walked back your claims to just disagreeing with it.

And like I pointed out, it doesn't matter what I think or you think. If and when it gets passed, it must be obeyed or suffer the consequences. Period.

So others have asked you too, what is your reasoning, other then you "know" you don't like it? And have you come up with a legal reasoning for picking which laws you follow yet?
I don't state this too often, you sir, are an idiot. You put a lot of time and typing into your response for not as it all boils down to your last response.

Obviously if I disagree with the laws on the books and the bill being pushed I think they are unconstitutional and illegal. What the hell are you even trying to talk about?

I'm not answering the same questions over again. I'm not on here to be interrogated by the want to be forum lawyer. I've answered all of your questions and provided my opinions. You have not and continue to twist the same black and white statements not accepting that everything in the world isn't black and white. My reasoning, and what is black and white: read the second amendment, it's pretty damn clear: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Continue to be a sheep and don't bother to ever think for yourself. The government will take care of you...just trust. If it's a law to walk around with underwear on your head will you just continue to state...."that's the law". But hey, it doesn't matter what you or I think...just do it.

YOU and those like you with their blind eye to glaring issues are the reason this country is trending the wrong way. YOU want to accept and trust everything thrown at you regardless of your rights....go ahead; I don't.

Again, you will not answer any of the questions I've posed to you...our conversation is over as it is truly like conversing with a well trained parrot.

Last edited by Angry Irishman; 01-07-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Angry Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #202
TerryMathews
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 11,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldtheCat View Post
No, but trying to explain high school civics to you is tiresome, since you refuse to accept the facts, and arguing based on your emotions and feelings.



So move the goalposts much? Can't argue your points, so try something else?

Did you not say this proposed law is illegal?







You quite clear in saying that you believe this proposed bill is unconstitutional. NOT that you are now just disagreeing with it. But I guess you bailed on that premise after getting shot down by several people, and have walked back your claims to just disagreeing with it.

And like I pointed out, it doesn't matter what I think or you think. If and when it gets passed, it must be obeyed or suffer the consequences. Period.

So others have asked you too, what is your reasoning, other then you "know" you don't like it? And have you come up with a legal reasoning for picking which laws you follow yet?
So again GTC, do you believe every recreational drug user should be convicted and sentenced according to Federal statutes?
__________________
Asrock Z87 Extreme4 | 4770K @ 4.6GHz (46x100 at 1.096V + 0.139V adaptive) | Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB RAM |2x MSI GTX 770 OC Dual Fan | Fractal Design Define R4 | QNIX QX2710 @ 2560x1440 96Hz
My Heatware evals
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #203
nextJin
Golden Member
 
nextJin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Korea
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn1 View Post
While I agree with the sentiment, he must not have been much of a marine to have spent 8 years in the service and left a corporal.
That is exactly what I was thinking, just because he is a Marine does not make the letter anymore meaningful than if a 17 year old redneck wrote it. In fact, I'd like proof this CPL even exists. Too many times do Republicans goto the Troops to try and prove a point within their agenda.

I am a proud gun owner and agree with the sentiments though.

<--- Active Duty Army 13 yrs

Also, just because the law passes doesn't mean citizens will automatically goto jail. Going to jail for not registering a weapon while being a law abiding citizen with zero priors (and in this CPLs case a veteran) is the perfect case for Jury Nullification.
__________________
"The world reacts by asking: if you cannot count on international law, then you must find other ways to ensure your security. Thus a growing number of countries seek to acquire weapons of mass destruction. This is logical: if you have the bomb, no one will touch you. We are left with talk of the need to strengthen nonproliferation, when in reality this is being eroded." - Vladimir Putin

Last edited by nextJin; 01-07-2013 at 03:29 PM.
nextJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #204
StinkyPinky
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: A sandpit with casinos
Posts: 4,889
Default

Who cares with some marine thinks? His opinion is no more valid than anyone that posts on this very forum.
__________________
Intel i7 4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H, 16GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1866MHz , ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB + 3 x 1TB Samsung F3, 1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda. Windows 8.1 Pro

Late 2013 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5-4258U 2.4Ghz, Intel Iris 5100 GPU, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD
StinkyPinky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #205
raildogg
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,734
Default

Yeah, love that gun more than you love other people.
__________________
ecgn

My systems
raildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #206
DukeN
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 1,423
Default

What an arrogant douchetard
__________________
Rig
Member of the AT Distributed Computing Team Join today and make a difference! (Just by contributing idle CPU cycles).
DukeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #207
Hayabusa Rider
Elite Member
 
Hayabusa Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 37,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raildogg View Post
Yeah, love that gun more than you love other people.
So if you are in a situation where you must defend someone you love, who do you love more, that person or the one trying to harm them? Do you flip a coin?
__________________
My favorite TV quote by Mr. Spock

"I object to you. I object to intellect without discipline; I object to power without constructive purpose."
Hayabusa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #208
raildogg
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Rider View Post
So if you are in a situation where you must defend someone you love, who do you love more, that person or the one trying to harm them? Do you flip a coin?
It doesn't matter. All we're doing is creating an endless cycle of violence.
__________________
ecgn

My systems
raildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #209
StinkyPinky
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: A sandpit with casinos
Posts: 4,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeN View Post
What an arrogant douchetard


I especially like this bit..

Quote:
I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free.
He keeps us all free. Those damn uppity Arabs are just itching to invade us with their untrained army and rickety fishing boats.
__________________
Intel i7 4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H, 16GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1866MHz , ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB + 3 x 1TB Samsung F3, 1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda. Windows 8.1 Pro

Late 2013 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5-4258U 2.4Ghz, Intel Iris 5100 GPU, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD
StinkyPinky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #210
Hayabusa Rider
Elite Member
 
Hayabusa Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 37,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raildogg View Post
It doesn't matter. All we're doing is creating an endless cycle of violence.
Then don't have a family. If they can't depend on you to protect them if need be. Defensive violence at need is not something to be ashamed of. Note "at need" not when one feels secure. People who exhibit violent behavior because they enjoy it will harm others. What I guarantee is that someone I stop from harming another is unlikely to ever do it again. Cycle of violence stopped.
__________________
My favorite TV quote by Mr. Spock

"I object to you. I object to intellect without discipline; I object to power without constructive purpose."
Hayabusa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #211
raildogg
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Rider View Post
Then don't have a family. If they can't depend on you to protect them if need be. Defensive violence at need is not something to be ashamed of. Note "at need" not when one feels secure. People who exhibit violent behavior because they enjoy it will harm others. What I guarantee is that someone I stop from harming another is unlikely to ever do it again. Cycle of violence stopped.
You can never be really safe. Most of it is mental. Most, if not all, things are beyond your control so I'm not sure if I can go along with the fact that a mere gun can protect someone. This is how these weapons spread and multiply. All in the name of defense.

I am not for government restriction on weapons either. I want people to have the freedom to make their own choices. If they want a gun, let them have it.
__________________
ecgn

My systems

Last edited by raildogg; 01-07-2013 at 04:25 PM.
raildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #212
Hayabusa Rider
Elite Member
 
Hayabusa Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 37,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raildogg View Post
You can never be really safe. Most of it is mental. Most, if not all, things are beyond your control so I'm not sure if I can go along with the fact that a mere gun can protect someone. This is how these weapons spread and multiply. All in the name of defense.

I am not for government restriction on weapons either. I want people to have the freedom to make their own choices. If they want a gun, let them have it.
That's a perfectly reasonable attitude. You don't want a gun, but will allow others the right to have one.

I'll disagree with your take on "safe" to some degree. Safety isn't binary, yes or no, but if one is prepared by whatever means to deal with contingencies then one is safer than if not. Now fear is mental. The perception of security from an emotional perspective is. I don't believe this a semantic distinction. As for my part I am prepared to defend myself and my family, and I believe I have a reasonable means to do so without a firearm. I also do not feel compelled to kill for any cause. There is a proportional response in my mind, but make no mistake, I am prepared to take whatever steps are needed.

So yes, I don't fear, I feel safe and secure in the context I mean it, but I am perfectly aware that I'm not invulnerable, nor do I feel the slightest need to be. My comfort level doesn't require that I be overwhelmed by safety concerns.
__________________
My favorite TV quote by Mr. Spock

"I object to you. I object to intellect without discipline; I object to power without constructive purpose."
Hayabusa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #213
OutHouse
Lifer
 
OutHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 30,254
Default

this thread is now about big fluffy buttermilk pancakes.

__________________
20 years ago, we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please donít let Kevin Bacon die.Ē Bill Murray

"Going to McDonalds for a salad is like asking a prostitute for a hug." Sean Fallon

my post are being monitored by a STALKER!
OutHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #214
eskimospy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 33,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Rider View Post
So if you are in a situation where you must defend someone you love, who do you love more, that person or the one trying to harm them? Do you flip a coin?
Of course by owning that gun it is much more likely that one of those people you love will be harmed by it than it is that you will protect them from violence with it.

So really, isn't choosing not to own a gun the greater act of caring for their safety?
eskimospy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #215
eskimospy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 33,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito Corleone View Post
Agreed on all counts. I am a veteran myself, but I think the idea that veterans are necessarily entitled to greater deference or even respect is just silly. There are some great, smart people in the armed forces, and some who are dishonest, stupid, lazy, and worse. I certainly don't think a veteran's opinion on an issue that has nothing to do with military service is entitled to any more respect than anybody else's.
Completely agree. I'm a veteran as well and I think the way America behaves towards its armed forces is downright creepy.

I've met some of the best people of my life in the armed forces, some of my best friends to this day. I've also met some total shitbags. What's funny about it is that I'm Facebook friends with some of the good ones and some of the bad ones. The bad ones tend to be the guys who won't shut up about how they were once in the military.
eskimospy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #216
Hayabusa Rider
Elite Member
 
Hayabusa Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 37,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimospy View Post
Of course by owning that gun it is much more likely that one of those people you love will be harmed by it than it is that you will protect them from violence with it.

So really, isn't choosing not to own a gun the greater act of caring for their safety?
Interesting. Please tell me how you know that is true in my specific case and provide a basis in fact for your statement applying to me as an individual. "On average" arguments aren't applicable. Also the burden is on you to back your contention since you claim special knowledge.
__________________
My favorite TV quote by Mr. Spock

"I object to you. I object to intellect without discipline; I object to power without constructive purpose."
Hayabusa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #217
eskimospy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 33,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Rider View Post
Interesting. Please tell me how you know that is true in my specific case and provide a basis in fact for your statement applying to me as an individual. "On average" arguments aren't applicable. Also the burden is on you to back your contention since you claim special knowledge.
I was clearly speaking to society as a whole. If you believe you are particularly well trained with firearm storage and safety I guess I'll take your word for it. (people frequently overestimate their abilities however, just so you know)

For the average American the safest thing they can do for their family is take all their guns and throw them in a trash compactor.
eskimospy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #218
Hayabusa Rider
Elite Member
 
Hayabusa Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 37,913
Wink

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimospy View Post
I was clearly speaking to society as a whole. If you believe you are particularly well trained with firearm storage and safety I guess I'll take your word for it. (people frequently overestimate their abilities however, just so you know)

For the average American the safest thing they can do for their family is take all their guns and throw them in a trash compactor.
I believe that anyone who has a gun for defensive purposes should be required to demonstrate competence not only in firearm handling, but in defensive tactics and situational awareness. Courses can be required at regular intervals which would be graded . I believe in the right of ownership, but with few exceptions owners ought to have practical training. Of course specifics can be worked out, but rather than focusing on the the weapon, concentrate on individual competency and responsibility.
__________________
My favorite TV quote by Mr. Spock

"I object to you. I object to intellect without discipline; I object to power without constructive purpose."
Hayabusa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #219
nextJin
Golden Member
 
nextJin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Korea
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimospy View Post
The bad ones tend to be the guys who won't shut up about how they were once in the military.
This.

I love those individuals, guys who brag about deployments or how badass they were in Ordinance or whatever. Esspecially fobbits with ridiculous purple heart or CAB citations coming home with their war stories.

How do you know if a vet is lying?
__________________
"The world reacts by asking: if you cannot count on international law, then you must find other ways to ensure your security. Thus a growing number of countries seek to acquire weapons of mass destruction. This is logical: if you have the bomb, no one will touch you. We are left with talk of the need to strengthen nonproliferation, when in reality this is being eroded." - Vladimir Putin
nextJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #220
Angry Irishman
Golden Member
 
Angry Irishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutHouse View Post
this thread is now about big fluffy buttermilk pancakes.

Holy shit those look good. They are probably bad for us though so the government should take them away or at least legislate the shit out of them....it's for our own good, of course.
Angry Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #221
Angry Irishman
Golden Member
 
Angry Irishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raildogg View Post
Yeah, love that gun more than you love other people.
The gun is a tool; the crazy people using the gun is the problem.
Angry Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #222
Angry Irishman
Golden Member
 
Angry Irishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeN View Post
What an arrogant douchetard
She's a US Senator...from California no less. How dare you make a comment like that.
Angry Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #223
Lithium381
Lifer
 
Lithium381's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 12,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimospy View Post
I was clearly speaking to society as a whole. If you believe you are particularly well trained with firearm storage and safety I guess I'll take your word for it. (people frequently overestimate their abilities however, just so you know)

For the average American the safest thing they can do for their family is take all their guns and throw them in a trash compactor.
How has that worked out for the UK and Australia? Gun crimes down, but the total number of violent crimes is up . .still a similar murder rate . . what problem did that solve?
__________________
"This action has caused a division of the people into classes: Those the government deems valuable enough to protect with modern firearms, and those whose lives have been deemed as having less value, and whom the government has decided do not deserve the right to protect themselves with the same firearms." Olympic Arms > NY
"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns; it was called Schindler's List"
Lithium381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #224
ivwshane
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium381 View Post
How has that worked out for the UK and Australia? Gun crimes down, but the total number of violent crimes is up . .still a similar murder rate . . what problem did that solve?
I think it lowered gun crime as you just pointed out.

Lol
__________________
System Specs
ivwshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #225
HumblePie
Lifer
 
HumblePie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 11,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
I think it lowered gun crime as you just pointed out.

Lol
It displaced the crimes that would have been committed using guns with another lethal object instead. However, where as we are in decline of violent crimes, and even violent crimes in typical violent areas, other countries with guns bans are not. In fact, violent crimes not involving guns are on the rise in some places.
__________________
Heat: 45-0-0
Political Compass
Humble Pie UK/US Rock Band
Quote:
Originally Posted by highland145;
I can't ever provide facts for my arguments so I just call others trolls instead and feel like I am winning!
HumblePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.