Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > PC Gaming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #676
Doppel
Lifer
 
Doppel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,313
Default

There are problems, like "2) Once you liberate the bases the island seems empty. No more random pirate encounters and almost everyone you run into is a friendly.".

I normally do games mid difficulty "as intended to be played", but I realized after the mission where I fly to the second island that not only was normal too easy but hell it also had auto-aim (I never noticed this before, as most kills were from afar). I've now set difficulty to hard and turned auto-aim off (this on the 360).

I've had good luck with sniping animals' cages.

I do find it annoying how the AI seems generally quite stupid, with no peripheral vision, and yet if I take out an alarm box from somewhere they seem magically to know where the shot came from immediately (even though silenced).

There are lots of problems with the game. In the end, though, it's excellent so far (opened up second island 2 hours of play ago). I only notice the problems because I've spent an embarrassing amount of time on it in the last 4 days.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #677
Childs
Diamond Member
 
Childs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
There are problems, like "2) Once you liberate the bases the island seems empty. No more random pirate encounters and almost everyone you run into is a friendly.".
It seems like there are pockets of pirates here and there. After I finished the game and everything was locked down, I was looking for the Lost Expedition missions. I happened to go though a valley and there was a pirate base which wasnt on the map. Also, that base on the river where you first use the 50 cal seems to respawn pirates. I killed 10 or so and noticed once I was on one side of the base, they would spawn on the other side. Out of thin air. Ended up just leaving.
__________________
i7-3770k@4.6Ghz * 16GB RAM * Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti OC 3GB * 840 Pro 512GB * 24" Asus VG248QE 144Hz
Mac Mini i7 2.6Ghz * 16GB RAM * 840 Pro 512GB * 27" Dell U2711
Origin name: tT-Childs

Last edited by Childs; 01-08-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Childs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #678
Todd33
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 7,828
Default

This game is great. Love freeing the animals in the bases and watching the fight. I also love knocking the pirates on their asses with my 50 cal.
__________________
Nate Silver 1, buckshot24 0
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." ---Sinclair Lewis
Todd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #679
agness
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19
Default

So i bought it at Go2Arena.com. Everything went well. But i'm warning about this game! It's really addicting So be careful, because playing it, i didn't have my private life
agness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #680
CVSiN
Diamond Member
 
CVSiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,308
Default

Here ya'll go.
this fixes alot..

http://kotaku.com/5973989/this-excel...?post=55929596
__________________
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
Missing unwritten rules are a bannable offense!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)





CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #681
Dooms87
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 27
Default

anyone capable of running this game without having random graphic glitches all the time ? Not sure how to describe it, Game runs great geting a constant 50-60 fps and randomly all the graphics will just go crazy
Dooms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #682
gorcorps
aka Brandon
 
gorcorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Bend
Posts: 25,869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooms87 View Post
anyone capable of running this game without having random graphic glitches all the time ? Not sure how to describe it, Game runs great geting a constant 50-60 fps and randomly all the graphics will just go crazy
You're going to have to give a screen shot or something, because "the graphics will just go crazy" doesn't explain anything.
__________________
-So sayeth Brandon, knower of things
PSN: gorcorps|||Steam: gorcorps
HEATWARE
gorcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #683
pauldun170
Platinum Member
 
pauldun170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,107
Default

Any opinions on the co-op?
I'm about to delete it (having finished the game and a ton of side quests)
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #684
PhatoseAlpha
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,060
Default

Fun but buggy, and the lack of filters hurts replayability. Chapter 2 is far more popular then the other chapters, so you'll end up in that one over and over again.
__________________
"He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your life, be someplace else."
PhatoseAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #685
pauldun170
Platinum Member
 
pauldun170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatoseAlpha View Post
Fun but buggy, and the lack of filters hurts replayability. Chapter 2 is far more popular then the other chapters, so you'll end up in that one over and over again.

Will give it a try..
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #686
MetalMat
Diamond Member
 
MetalMat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9,100
Default

The game was great at first but it got pretty repetitive. It became : Get to the radio tower, free the bases, do the same type of side missions associated with that base, repeat until you get bored and go back to the main story line.

In normal mode you can easily assault the enemy bases without worrying about stealth, you get so much xp throughout the game that taking it over undetected is not really worth it. And the bases are all pretty much the same except for a few different types of enemy classes and the animals trapped in the cage.

I really like the time trial side mission where you score as many points as possible (The grenades one was great) but the rest of the side missions are meh. The kill the dude with a knife ones are all the same, just gun down everyone besides the leader then run up and knife him. The ones involving the villagers are forgettable. The Hunting ones are all the same except for the required weapon needed.

I guess I am around halfway through, don't think I will finish the game.
__________________
Let's Geaux Saints & Ragin' Cajuns!

New Cleveland Indians fan, 2014

Last edited by MetalMat; 01-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.
MetalMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #687
MetalMat
Diamond Member
 
MetalMat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesV View Post
Pretty much stopped playing. Didn't even get to the second island in SP, but put in about 20 hours into co-op.

I think it might have been a better game without all the map icons. You never really need money (get a ton from just doing regular stuff), so there wasn't any motivation to 'go explore' to find things. Everything and anything is marked, just hop in a jeep and go there. The island ended up feeling really generic to me with that setup.
Yep, at first I was like "Whoa this Island is huge!" but that faded pretty quick when I realized that everything around the island is pretty much the same.
__________________
Let's Geaux Saints & Ragin' Cajuns!

New Cleveland Indians fan, 2014
MetalMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #688
TechBoyJK
Lifer
 
TechBoyJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 13,534
Default

http://farcry.nexusmods.com/mods/15/

already linked earlier but worth a bump. Going to check this out this weekend.
__________________
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
You're being difficult. You have not provided us with the information we need to troubleshoot the problem. You have not given us errors, you're vague about where the problem is, you are not answering the questions we ask. In short, you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THINK. Give back that piece of paper you think makes your intelligent, apologize, destroy your computer and go live in the woods kid.
TechBoyJK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #689
CVSiN
Diamond Member
 
CVSiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBoyJK View Post
http://farcry.nexusmods.com/mods/15/

already linked earlier but worth a bump. Going to check this out this weekend.
Played the one I linked last night. for sure changes the game for the better.

and love to be able to log out and log back in and have more guys to kill and bases to retake.

I for one love the base assaults and to try to get them 100% undetected using takedowns especially the chain ones. love those.
__________________
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
Missing unwritten rules are a bannable offense!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)





CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #690
Childs
Diamond Member
 
Childs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMat View Post
The game was great at first but it got pretty repetitive. It became : Get to the radio tower, free the bases, do the same type of side missions associated with that base, repeat until you get bored and go back to the main story line.

In normal mode you can easily assault the enemy bases without worrying about stealth, you get so much xp throughout the game that taking it over undetected is not really worth it. And the bases are all pretty much the same except for a few different types of enemy classes and the animals trapped in the cage.

I really like the time trial side mission where you score as many points as possible (The grenades one was great) but the rest of the side missions are meh. The kill the dude with a knife ones are all the same, just gun down everyone besides the leader then run up and knife him. The ones involving the villagers are forgettable. The Hunting ones are all the same except for the required weapon needed.

I guess I am around halfway through, don't think I will finish the game.
I actually like the radio towers and bases the best, and didnt particularly care about the story. The only interesting story missions was the ones with Buck, because it was like playing Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Well, map wise anyways. I wish the whole game had story missions like that, but most of them felt like on rails shooting.
__________________
i7-3770k@4.6Ghz * 16GB RAM * Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti OC 3GB * 840 Pro 512GB * 24" Asus VG248QE 144Hz
Mac Mini i7 2.6Ghz * 16GB RAM * 840 Pro 512GB * 27" Dell U2711
Origin name: tT-Childs
Childs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #691
Todd33
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 7,828
Default

Taking the outpost by stealth is what I aim for, but when I can't get it without them calling in reinforcement it gets tough. Last night one guy shot a flare and then a helicopter came. That was a first. The idea to keep it fresh is to mix it up and try new strategies. It is a sandbox game, there is no need for it to feel forced or linear.
__________________
Nate Silver 1, buckshot24 0
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." ---Sinclair Lewis
Todd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #692
Doppel
Lifer
 
Doppel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs View Post
I actually like the radio towers and bases the best, and didnt particularly care about the story. The only interesting story missions was the ones with Buck, because it was like playing Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Well, map wise anyways. I wish the whole game had story missions like that, but most of them felt like on rails shooting.
I like them best also even though all I ever do is snipe the alarms and then snipe everybody else. I could never get the multi take downs to work properly though I never tried much.

I've now cleared all bases and towers and just have the main missions left.

Obviously I did none of the bounty hunt or supply drop filler missions or car races.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #693
TechBoyJK
Lifer
 
TechBoyJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 13,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd33 View Post
Taking the outpost by stealth is what I aim for, but when I can't get it without them calling in reinforcement it gets tough. Last night one guy shot a flare and then a helicopter came. That was a first. The idea to keep it fresh is to mix it up and try new strategies. It is a sandbox game, there is no need for it to feel forced or linear.
Yea, I pretty much see it as a sandbox game, and the missions are 'planned adventures' that I sign up for.

Besides mods, I really hope Ubi drops some legit, HQ DLC that opens it up even more. Maybe another island, or a story extension which has you fighting for the island again.

I still like my "far cry wars" idea where after you beat the island, 100 pirates will show up on various beach points, preferably which ever one is furthest from you.

This way, when you get an alert that pirates are going to arrive soon, you have some time to high tail it to that area and try and get to the pirates before they spread out. This way, get there soon enough you can bombard them with grenades, rpgs, etc and take them out quick. Otherwise, if you wait to long, they break off into groups and start patrolling and heading out to safehouses to try and take them back.
__________________
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
You're being difficult. You have not provided us with the information we need to troubleshoot the problem. You have not given us errors, you're vague about where the problem is, you are not answering the questions we ask. In short, you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THINK. Give back that piece of paper you think makes your intelligent, apologize, destroy your computer and go live in the woods kid.
TechBoyJK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #694
Mandres
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 463
Default

I know the "zombie" genre is pretty played out but I'd love to see someone make a hardcore survival game set in the Far Cry 3 world.

The elements are all there: crafting, wildlife AI, looting, vehicles, medicines etc, and they all work well. An inspired mod team could build on the framework already in place and really make something cool.

I'd much rather play that than the game as it is currently.
Mandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #695
Todd33
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 7,828
Default

I also figured out that there can be two alarm boxes in one outpost, which explains why they trigger the alarm after I blew the box.
__________________
Nate Silver 1, buckshot24 0
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." ---Sinclair Lewis
Todd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #696
Childs
Diamond Member
 
Childs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
I've now cleared all bases and towers and just have the main missions left.

Obviously I did none of the bounty hunt or supply drop filler missions or car races.
I did the same thing. I even focused on signature weapons before moving on to the second island. I can still do the bounties and story side missions, but since there is nothing left to explore I have no desire to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd33 View Post
I also figured out that there can be two alarm boxes in one outpost, which explains why they trigger the alarm after I blew the box.
Just scan the area with the camera. Then you'll see alarm icons in the minimap. The game kinda points to one alarm vs another the way they placed the guards.
__________________
i7-3770k@4.6Ghz * 16GB RAM * Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti OC 3GB * 840 Pro 512GB * 24" Asus VG248QE 144Hz
Mac Mini i7 2.6Ghz * 16GB RAM * 840 Pro 512GB * 27" Dell U2711
Origin name: tT-Childs
Childs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #697
Zenoth
Diamond Member
 
Zenoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,407
Default

I finally got to play Far Cry 3 recently on the 360 (will buy it soon for myself on PC since I just upgraded my GPU). I have to say that while it's very fun as a game I am instead more impressed by its engine than the rest so far. It's Dunia 2, successor to the original engine that gave us Far Cry 2 (not the first Far Cry though, of course). As I played and wandered the forested areas I couldn't help but wonder how - with only a few tweaks here and there to accommodate the type of game that it'd then become - just how well that engine would fit for games in the veins of STALKER or, one of my own "wild wishes in gaming", a Turok game. I was surprised by how even more vast and even imposing is the seamless environment in comparison to how it was already in Far Cry 2 (boring game, yes, but cannot deny that it has great environments and overall atmosphere).

I hated having to wait for loading a new area in STALKER just because I happened to get in a sewers of the underground portion of the ground I was walking on. In a game like STALKER running with Dunia 2 you'd have a full map complete with multiple layers of both ground-level, under ground and even under water and above ground (hills, raiod towers, mountains, etc) and wouldn't need to load separate sections as long as the "same map" remains unchanged. It would greatly enhance the whole exploration portion of such games. But unfortunately for a reason I don't know it looks like the Dunia engine (be it the original or Dunia 2) has only been used so far to make Far Cry 2, FC3 and a few years ago the Avatar game (with Dunia 1).

It's a great engine that can clearly rival, if not exceed other "competing" engine's capabilities. Definitely more devs need to make more games with it and perhaps stop salivating too much over CryEngine, or stop milking UE3 to death.
__________________
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @ Stock
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
Memory: G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D 8GB @ Stock
GPU: ASUS GTX 670 DCUII 2GB @ Stock

"To vanquish without adversity is to triumph without glory."

Last edited by Zenoth; 01-10-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Zenoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #698
Doppel
Lifer
 
Doppel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,313
Default

I would pay right now for a DLC on console for techjk's idea. It is a great idea.

Todd33 in island 2 some bases have 3 boxes!

This problem suffers critically from a problem that afflicts many games. Once I am done main story it will be like just cause 2 or Skyrim to me: a huge world that is "dead". I have no interest in else driving around all day immune from damage looking for relics or letters. I am enjoying the game but when I finish main mission I will sell it and move on. Another DLC that repopulates the entire island but also has some weak back story joining together the desire to reclaim them all could add many hours back to it.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #699
Stringjam
Senior Member
 
Stringjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoth View Post
I have to say that while it's very fun as a game I am instead more impressed by its engine than the rest so far. It's Dunia 2, successor to the original engine that gave us Far Cry 2 (not the first Far Cry though, of course).

Actually Dunia engine was developed by a Crytek employee. It was built off CryEngine1 and heavily modified by Ubisoft.

So yes, technically all the FarCry games are in the CryEngine family.


I have felt the exact same way about STALKER for years.......how much I would love to see it remade in a modern engine that can handle open-world terrain without loading screens.

Imagine the entire STALKER map (SoC, ClearSky, and CoP), plus the missing areas they didn't have time to include (Dead City) ALL IN ONE GAME. If only.
Stringjam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #700
coldmeat
Diamond Member
 
coldmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ON, CA
Posts: 9,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMat View Post
The kill the dude with a knife ones are all the same, just gun down everyone besides the leader then run up and knife him.
Just because you can do that, doesn't mean that's what you should necessarily be doing. These missions were the best part of the game for me, trying to sneak in and take all the guys out one by one without being detected or having bodies found, always leaving the leader until the end. Each missions was a new situation, new pattern to try and figure out the best way to do it. The bow and knife were pretty much the only weapons I used in this game, unless I screwed up and shit hit the fan.

I guess that's part of the reason I might enjoy games like this more than other people, I like to role play, and put limits on myself to get the most out of a game. Like you said, running in guns blazing and just blasting everybody gets repetitive. What you get out of a game depends on how you approach it.
__________________

coldmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.