Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #126
CrackRabbit
Lifer
 
CrackRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
This is only relevant if you define a marriage to be just a contract.

The problem is that since you demand that the government recognize your contract it is not just a contract between 2 people.

As well as the fact that you probably have several contracts yourself with non-human entities.

How does allowing a man to marry his couch affect your marriage? Are you afraid that if we recognize object sexual marriages you will start feeling an overwhelming urge to co-populate with your toaster?
Hey just because you like to stick your wang in a toaster doesn't mean other people do.
Besides I have never seen a toaster be able to consent to anything.
__________________
Official member of the ATOT Night Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
Don't we have enough left handed reddit haired stepchildren around here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmSkyscraper
Tomorrowned!!11!1!1!
CrackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #127
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 6,105
Default

Lol, there's a Petition to lable the CC a Hate Group?!?

The sheer fact that this is out there makes me uncomfortable with liberals real agendas.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #128
zsdersw
Lifer
 
zsdersw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
Posts: 10,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage Fan View Post
I never said that. Try rereading what I said.
That's what you were implying.
__________________
Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool -Mark Twain

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #129
LumbergTech
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
What she says has merit, you just don't agree with it.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. Just say "it's not my cup o' tea", or that you disagree.
Total BS.

The article is completely wrong. It doesn't describe the average modern young man whatsoever.

Last edited by LumbergTech; 01-07-2013 at 09:45 PM.
LumbergTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #130
badb0y
Diamond Member
 
badb0y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 3,798
Default

You guys can piss and moan all you want but this is going to happen sooner or later.
__________________
i7 2600k @ 4.4 ghz with NH-D14 - GTX 780 SLI (Stock) - 12GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws RAM - SilverStone SG10 - NZXT Hale90 750W PSU -ASUS Maximus V Gene - Crucial MX100 512GB
Heatware: badboydiablo 23-0-0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
badb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #131
Smoblikat
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
No she's not. She apparently believes that society is incapable of thriving without the things she thinks are necessary. That's a very narrow and historically unreliable view of society.
Unless she is right. Which to an extent I believe she is, though not for the reasons she does.
__________________
3770K|ASrock Z77 Extreme11|4x8gb DDR3 1600|4xHD6970|1440P 120hz - Buzzard
X6 1055T|ASUS M4A89GTD-EVO USB3|2x4gb Gskill 1600|HD4870X2 + HD48701gb - Virgo
2xXeon L5639|EVGA SR2|6x8gb DDR3|4x2TB
Smoblikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #132
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 6,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbergTech View Post
Total BS.

The article is completely wrong. It doesn't describe the average modern young man whatsoever.
What's become(ing) aboundantly clear is that it's socially unacceptable to not accept same-sex marriage. It's really unacceptable to force someone to adopt the current "flavor of the month"... which is all this is.

..or better still, you can view it as wrong as long as you have legitimate, non-religious/Biblical grounds (in a feeble attempt to elimate any "legit" grounds). Liberal mind control 101. They dicate to YOU what's "legitmate" grounds for accepting/rejecting this?!?

The Social Crusaders are here!! You'd better get on the train or be on the "wrong side of history"!!!
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #133
nehalem256
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackRabbit View Post
Hey just because you like to stick your wang in a toaster doesn't mean other people do.
For the record I don't.

But apparently your argument is that to support equal rights for object sexuals you have to be an object sexual yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackRabbit View Post
Besides I have never seen a toaster be able to consent to anything.
This is only relevant if we accept your objectphobic definition of marriage as the One True definition of marriage.

EDIT: And if you are still really bothered just replace toaster with corporation.

Last edited by nehalem256; 01-08-2013 at 07:44 AM.
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #134
soulcougher73
Diamond Member
 
soulcougher73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 8,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
This is only relevant if you define a marriage to be just a contract.

The problem is that since you demand that the government recognize your contract it is not just a contract between 2 people.

As well as the fact that you probably have several contracts yourself with non-human entities.

How does allowing a man to marry his couch affect your marriage? Are you afraid that if we recognize object sexual marriages you will start feeling an overwhelming urge to co-populate with your toaster?
I dont personally have a problem with your stupid object marriages. If you want to fuck your toaster exclusely for life than so be it. I will fight for your right to do it if you fight for the right for gays to marry in the eyes of the government. You wont find many people who want what you propose but i see no harm in it..well other than them being ridiculed for being retarded. But to each their own.
__________________
"A mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul" - Eddie Vedder

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.

Last edited by soulcougher73; 01-08-2013 at 07:50 AM.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #135
soulcougher73
Diamond Member
 
soulcougher73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 8,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
What's become(ing) aboundantly clear is that it's socially unacceptable to not accept same-sex marriage. It's really unacceptable to force someone to adopt the current "flavor of the month"... which is all this is.

..or better still, you can view it as wrong as long as you have legitimate, non-religious/Biblical grounds (in a feeble attempt to elimate any "legit" grounds). Liberal mind control 101. They dicate to YOU what's "legitmate" grounds for accepting/rejecting this?!?

The Social Crusaders are here!! You'd better get on the train or be on the "wrong side of history"!!!
I would say the real issue is its becoming social unacceptable to continue to not treat them equally in the eyes of the law. You are free to view gays as unacceptable all you want since that is not something we can change in a person.

Edit: Also gays have been around since the dawn of man. So i wouldnt really call gays the "flavor of the month" as if they just appeared recently out of no-where.

Edit 2: Also why do people who dont like "teh gayz" get to dictate what is acceptable? Who made them god?
__________________
"A mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul" - Eddie Vedder

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.

Last edited by soulcougher73; 01-08-2013 at 07:52 AM.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #136
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
What's become(ing) aboundantly clear is that it's socially unacceptable to not accept same-sex marriage.
Yes. So? Was it also bad when it became socially unacceptable to not accept equal rights for non-Caucasians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
..or better still, you can view it as wrong as long as you have legitimate, non-religious/Biblical grounds (in a feeble attempt to elimate any "legit" grounds). Liberal mind control 101. They dicate to YOU what's "legitmate" grounds for accepting/rejecting this?!?
Nobody is controlling your mind. You can believe whatever nonsense you like.

As for grounds for conducting a society, they should be based on reason and fairness. Not the dictates of mythology. There are no non-religious arguments against equal rights for gays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
The Social Crusaders are here!! You'd better get on the train or be on the "wrong side of history"!!!
Yeah, it's only good when Christians get to lead the Crusades. The notable difference here being that, unlike your church, nobody here is killing anyone.
__________________
"Of those who say nothing, few are silent." -- Thomas Neill
Charles Kozierok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #137
nehalem256
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post
I would say the real issue is its becoming social unacceptable to continue to not treat them equally in the eyes of the law. You are free to view gays as unacceptable all you want since that is not something we can change in a person.
Gay people are treated equally. They, just like straights, are allowed to marry a person of the opposite gender.

Gay relationships are treated equally as platonic SS relationships.
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #138
nehalem256
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post
I dont personally have a problem with your stupid object marriages. If you want to fuck your toaster exclusely for life than so be it. I will fight for your right to do it if you fight for the right for gays to marry in the eyes of the government. You wont find many people who want what you propose but i see no harm in it..well other than them being ridiculed for being retarded. But to each their own.
And will you fight for the right of object-sexuals to marry their toaster?
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #139
zsdersw
Lifer
 
zsdersw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
Posts: 10,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
Gay relationships are treated equally as platonic SS relationships.
Except they're not equal. Monogamous homosexual relationships are more beneficial to society than the alternative, whether or not you personally think so.

By the way, how many homosexual people do you personally know?
__________________
Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool -Mark Twain

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #140
nehalem256
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
Except they're not equal. Monogamous homosexual relationships are more beneficial to society than the alternative, whether or not you personally think so.
This is an opinion not a fact.

Besides, we could continue your line of reasoning and establish a continuum of relationship benefit to society with say:

Monogamous heterosexual relationships > Monogamous homosexual relationships > Platonic Friendship

Given that only heterosexuals are capable of pro-creating, and the obvious increase in poverty for single parents over married parents it would be hard to argue against this continuum.

Therefore, heterosexual and homosexual relationships are not equal, and there is no reason to treat them as such.
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #141
zsdersw
Lifer
 
zsdersw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
Posts: 10,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
This is an opinion not a fact.
Wrong. It is demonstrably factual that monogamous homosexual relationships are more beneficial to society than homosexual promiscuity.

Quote:
Besides, we could continue your line of reasoning and establish a continuum of relationship benefit to society with say:

Monogamous heterosexual relationships > Monogamous homosexual relationships > Platonic Friendship

Given that only heterosexuals are capable of pro-creating, and the obvious increase in poverty for single parents over married parents it would be hard to argue against this continuum.

Therefore, heterosexual and homosexual relationships are not equal, and there is no reason to treat them as such.
I'm not saying heterosexual and homosexual relationships are equal, but they're not sufficiently different to say one somehow has exclusive participation in "marriage" and the other must not. That implies a level of disparity that does not exist and a sanctity of "marriage" that is not legally justified in this country. The "that's the way it's always been" excuse is a very poor reason to avoid change.

And I'll ask again... because you refuse to answer... How many homosexual people do you personally know?
__________________
Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool -Mark Twain

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #142
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 6,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
Yes. So? Was it also bad when it became socially unacceptable to not accept equal rights for non-Caucasians?
Comparing marriage to race. Bad idea, Charles.

Quote:
Nobody is controlling your mind. You can believe whatever nonsense you like.
Because it's not popular (or, something you don't agree with) it's nonsense? Like I said to you earlier, stop voting for the religious right because that's what you're doing... and then you whine about the policies they want to eliminate or implement.

Mind control it is. Calling it nonsense is s clear indication of you all trying to subvert one's line of thinking. You're just as bad as these "Christians" you villify.

Quote:
As for grounds for conducting a society, they should be based on reason and fairness. Not the dictates of mythology. There are no non-religious arguments against equal rights for gays
YOU don't think its reasonable or fair for someone to believe contrary to what's socially acceptable. Mind control 101. Crusade-esque thinking.

Quote:
Yeah, it's only good when Christians get to lead the Crusades. The notable difference here being that, unlike your church, nobody here is killing anyone.
LOL, you're killing free and contradictory thought and want to supress religious speech. Please, you are no different that them. Since when do you need a basis (legit, in the eyes of the non-believer) to have the freedom to spread your opinion regardless of whether you liberals agree with it?
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #143
nehalem256
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
I'm not saying heterosexual and homosexual relationships are equal,
So we are in agreement here. Heterosexual relationships are more important to society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
but they're not sufficiently different to say one somehow has exclusive participation in "marriage" and the other must not. That implies a level of disparity that does not exist and a sanctity of "marriage" that is not legally justified in this country. The "that's the way it's always been" excuse is a very poor reason to avoid change.
If "ability to procreate" is not sufficiently different than WTF is?

The fact that one kind of relationship is necessary for the continuation of the species and the other is not seems like a pretty f-ing big level of disparity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
And I'll ask again... because you refuse to answer... How many homosexual people do you personally know?
How many homosexual people I know is irrelevant to the definition of marriage.

Try reading this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #144
Doc Savage Fan
Diamond Member
 
Doc Savage Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Empire State Building - 86th Floor
Posts: 8,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
That's what you were implying.
Nope...wrong again. You just make up shit. Intellectual honesty doesn't appear to be your strong suit.
__________________
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms—it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man."
- Albert Einstein
Doc Savage Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #145
soulcougher73
Diamond Member
 
soulcougher73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 8,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
Gay people are treated equally. They, just like straights, are allowed to marry a person of the opposite gender.

Gay relationships are treated equally as platonic SS relationships.
How about you drop the fucking retarded by now "opposite gender" bit, and replace it with "someone they love". You will feel better about yourself.
__________________
"A mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul" - Eddie Vedder

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #146
soulcougher73
Diamond Member
 
soulcougher73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 8,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
And will you fight for the right of object-sexuals to marry their toaster?
Didnt i just say i would? Reading comprehension 101. Look into it.
__________________
"A mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul" - Eddie Vedder

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #147
Retro Rob
Diamond Member
 
Retro Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A location near you!!
Posts: 6,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post
I would say the real issue is its becoming social unacceptable to continue to not treat them equally in the eyes of the law. You are free to view gays as unacceptable all you want since that is not something we can change in a person.

Edit: Also gays have been around since the dawn of man. So i wouldnt really call gays the "flavor of the month" as if they just appeared recently out of no-where.

Edit 2: Also why do people who dont like "teh gayz" get to dictate what is acceptable? Who made them god?
Legalizing gay marrigae is the flavor of the month. After it's done and over with, socialists wiill find something else to latch on to. That's my whole point. It's just what's hot now, and emotions are high.

As far as I have seen, only the 'Church' is playing the moral gatekeeper (which is hypocritically funny). Everyone else is dictating to themselves and expressing their opinion in public in some cases.
Retro Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #148
soulcougher73
Diamond Member
 
soulcougher73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 8,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
So we are in agreement here. Heterosexual relationships are more important to society.



If "ability to procreate" is not sufficiently different than WTF is?

The fact that one kind of relationship is necessary for the continuation of the species and the other is not seems like a pretty f-ing big level of disparity.



How many homosexual people I know is irrelevant to the definition of marriage.

Try reading this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
So with all this rambling above you think if we legalize SSM that we will not have enough hetro people left to continue to populate the already over-populated earth?

I was unaware allowing SSM would turn me gay. My bad.
__________________
"A mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul" - Eddie Vedder

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #149
soulcougher73
Diamond Member
 
soulcougher73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 8,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M. View Post
Legalizing gay marrigae is the flavor of the month. After it's done and over with, socialists wiill find something else to latch on to. That's my whole point. It's just what's hot now, and emotions are high.

As far as I have seen, only the 'Church' is playing the moral gatekeeper (which is hypocritically funny). Everyone else is dictating to themselves and expressing their opinion in public in some cases.
Youre right it is a hot issue, but not for the reasons you think it is. Im hetro and find the idea of gay (male) sex gross. But that doesnt mean i want to treat gays differently or deny them rights i have access to as a hetro. My point is you can fight for equality without liking what they are doing.

Live and let live. Youll feel better about yourself.
__________________
"A mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul" - Eddie Vedder

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #150
DougK62
Diamond Member
 
DougK62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,923
Default

How about if we approach this another way. Would it be acceptable to people on both sides of the argument if we just took the government out of "marriage" completely? So then if you wanted someone to have control over your property, make choices for you if you're incapacitated, etc. you'd just fill out the appropriate contracts to delegate that out. Is this fair?
DougK62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.