Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Video Cards and Graphics

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #301
Ferzerp
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: B̿̄ͬͮͦ͐̐̂̌̂͛̓̃̔̈́̓
Posts: 5,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman928 View Post
Those are frame times, unless you mean the raw data . . .

Yes, it's radeon pro.

I've never heard/seen anyone claim that using a frame limiter caused frame skipping. . .

If you have to limit your FPS to 40 to get rid of stuttering, I don't really think it unreasonable to never report any benchmark framerate score above 40 fps, since that's all you can do without stutter. Pretty much, if that's needed, then you'd better be benchmarking with it on as well or you're being misleading.

Last edited by Ferzerp; 01-07-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Ferzerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #302
Hitman928
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
If you have to limit your FPS to 40 to get rid of stuttering, I don't really think it unreasonable to never report any benchmark framerate score above 40 fps, since that's all you can do without stutter. Pretty much, if that's needed, then you'd better be benchmarking with it on as well or you're being misleading.
You're commenting on something without understanding the context. I don't need a 40fps cap for a smooth frame time graph. I could turn on vsync and get very smooth frame times @60 fps, no problem, or cap it at 60 fps (maybe 55 at worst) and get a horizontal line. I did it at 40 fps to have a clear distinction from vsync.
Hitman928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #303
MTDEW
Diamond Member
 
MTDEW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
If you have to limit your FPS to 40 to get rid of stuttering, I don't really think it unreasonable to never report any benchmark framerate score above 40 fps, since that's all you can do without stutter. Pretty much, if that's needed, then you'd better be benchmarking with it on as well or you're being misleading.
Finally, someone who "gets it".

Everyone is like, here buy this 7xxx series card, look how fast it is in the benchmarks i just linked.

Then person buys it, posts a few days later about stutter.
And everyone says "just use a frame-limiter".

And that person is supposed to be too stupid to realize that now he's not getting near the performance the benchmarks claimed or others said he would with the card because he's forced to limit the cards performance with a frame-limiter to achieve smooth gameplay.
MTDEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #304
Hitman928
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDEW View Post
Finally, someone who "gets it".

Everyone is like, here buy this 7xxx series card, look how fast it is in the benchmarks i just linked.

Then person buys it, posts a few days later about stutter.
And everyone says "just use a frame-limiter".

And that person is supposed to be too stupid to realize that now he's not getting near the performance the benchmarks claimed or others said he would with the card because he's forced to limit the cards performance with a frame-limiter to achieve smooth gameplay.
Again, pay attention to context as this has nothing to do with the thread right now.
Hitman928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #305
3DVagabond
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 8,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
It's amazing to me that after AMD has stated that there is an issue, there is post after post claiming that there isn't (and that's putting what many of you have posted in the most generous of lights).
What's amazing is how far people have run with what Baumann actually said. Tells me that people really don't know what he said, or are purposely being misleading in interpreting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman928 View Post
I think it's important to reiterate what Dave Baumann (AMD) actually said about this:
Thanks for posting this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBaumann
Curious, where did you read any of that?

First off, I mentioned that we have a memory management rewrite underway for orthogonal reasons and it was at a point where we could just try it and see if it makes any improvements; it transpires that in some cases it has helped improve things. This has raised the priority to trying to get this through earlier; that doesn't mean that we "weren't going to bother", otherwise what would have been the point of investing the development time in the first place? Again, the memory manager rewrite was being done for other reasons, and in fact there was no indications from anywhere (including TR's prior reviews) was this an area that needed to be addressed.

Secondly, the memory manager change is not "magic bullet". The quote Scott originally highlighted from me was that these types of things can occur from multiple different areas of the driver - for instance the BL2 improvement primarily comes from resizing a buffer, not related to generic the memory management at all.
Quote:
This is not due to solely chasing average FPS. One of the software engineers looking into this contacted me to point out that for at least two of the titles where we've made improvements the average FPS should be improved, maybe by a reasonably large degree in some cases.
Quote:
I can't say that in the games I've played they have been noticeable, likewise I do not see end user feedback for this type of issue (except, maybe outside of a few known problem titles).
Quote:
As far as I had seen, TR's prior reviews using this method didn't highlight anything particularly untoward.

Likewise, we all use our GPU's and, for instance, I've put may many hours in to Borderlands 2 (207 in fact :gasp:!) on other an HD 7970 Ghz Ed or a HD 7870 and I genuinely can't notice any affects on the gameplay related to this to have even flagged it up as something I can perceive. However, we take it seriously and this has occupied quite a lot of architectures and software engineers time over the past few weeks to see where this is coming from and whether it can be improved.
Quote:
Yes, I think this is the area that needs further investigation. It is interesting that TR has does this type of analysis, and flagged an "issue" but to all intents and purposes I have no frame of reference that indicates that this is an "issue" that affected people in most of the cases; as mentioned nobody has really reported this an issue that affects their gameplay.
The bolded part is what he actually said. The rest is him explaining away what others are claiming he said. Nobody is saying the frame latency doesn't exist. The issue is not as big as some are trying to make it out to be, though. Thus the "mountains out of molehills" statement from Ryan.

Unfortunately we got a big "headline" but not much scientific procedure to go along with it. It's obviously particular games, and in some cases particular spots in games. Is it with particular settings? For example are they forcing something through drivers? Is it with a certain type of AO? We don't know.
3DVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #306
AnandThenMan
Platinum Member
 
AnandThenMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
Which member? And show us the quote.
Oh sorry you only admitted a strong Nvidia bias, so I'll only consider the vast majority of your posts as having an agenda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
What do you mean? I have a strong bias towards Nvidia.

It's like they discover this anew every conversation we have.
AnandThenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #307
Keysplayr
Elite Member
 
Keysplayr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 19,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandThenMan View Post
Oh sorry you only admitted a strong Nvidia bias, so I'll only consider the vast majority of your posts as having an agenda.
That's better. You always did have the gift of exaggeration. So, i'll only consider the vast majority of your posts as inaccurate exaggerations meant to mislead. So we have an understanding then.
__________________
Member of Nvidia Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

i5 2500K Asus P-Z68-V/Gen3 Titan Black SLI
Keysplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #308
AnandThenMan
Platinum Member
 
AnandThenMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
That's better. You always did have the gift of exaggeration. So, i'll only consider the vast majority of your posts as inaccurate exaggerations meant to mislead. So we have an understanding then.
Now who's exaggerating. I never said I have a strong bias to any brand. Not to mention I don't get paid to pump Nvidia's tires.
AnandThenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #309
Will Robinson
Golden Member
 
Will Robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,402
Cool

The sweet irony is that he has turned far more people off buying an NVDA graphics card than just about any other single source on the Net.
AMD should probably be sending him free hardware as a thank you gesture.
__________________
Intel CPUs and AMD GPUs.


Will Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #310
Keysplayr
Elite Member
 
Keysplayr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 19,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandThenMan View Post
Now who's exaggerating. I never said I have a strong bias to any brand. Not to mention I don't get paid to pump Nvidia's tires.
This is too funny. Please fight this infatuation with me. Get back to the topic and lets not make this all about me, your arch enemy. K? Thanks.

And Will. I gotta luv ya. Don't like what the man is saying, so go after the man himself. Not his arguments.

So, why did you post? A one liner zing toward me? Do you feel better? I bet you do big guy. Doesn't take much to sate you does it. Just a one liner, maybe two here and there. Very hollow boy.
__________________
Member of Nvidia Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

i5 2500K Asus P-Z68-V/Gen3 Titan Black SLI

Last edited by Keysplayr; 01-07-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Keysplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #311
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post
AMD has had security issues too, such as their lack of ASLR support in EMET earlier this year.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5966/u...river-security

Security vulnerability issues happen from time to time for every single software and hardware company in existence. That is just how computers work I'm glad that you've given me the opportunity to enlighten you.

Citing one issue by its lonesome and implying that the company with that is less competent than another is completely inane. Like the people pointing out Nvidia shimmering issues that happened a good 6 years ago. What else has happened since then? If you are incapable of producing a series of failures over a period of time, your argument is not worth the pathetic amount of storage space it takes up on these servers.
I said the same thing about 2 posts later. I'm glad you enlightened me though. My whole point still remains that both sides have driver issues. The fact that this one is such a MASSIVE issue at a time when nvidia doesn't maintain the outright single GPU performance crown is extremely suspect. All I was doing was responding in kind to the people trolling his thread to cause drama, but I don't think you "got it."

Truth be told I've had more driver issues with Nvidia hardware. The only reason why is because I've used more nvidia GPU's over a longer period of time than I have AMD cards. Both companies have been great while I've used them, so I guess I'm just lucky.
VulgarDisplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #312
HurleyBird
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Robinson View Post
The sweet irony is that he has turned far more people off buying an NVDA graphics card than just about any other single source on the Net.
AMD should probably be sending him free hardware as a thank you gesture.
I don't think he's turned people off... perhaps individually, but not on the whole. The fact that he wears his bias on his sleeve (focus group) probably helps in that regard.

On the other hand, I have no doubt a lot of Nvidia fanboys (such as one guy with GTX 470's in SLI) have turned people off immensely.

And although I haven't had a problem with them historically, the pro-AMD crowd is starting to turn me off in this thread and it's predecessor.
HurleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #313
notty22
Diamond Member
 
notty22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beantown
Posts: 3,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
The fact that this one is such a MASSIVE issue at a time when nvidia doesn't maintain the outright single GPU performance crown is extremely suspect
What does this even mean? What does one have to do with the other?
It was a rather obscure , potential opening, on a update web service. Not sure what that has to do with GPU performance ?
__________________
I5 750@3940mhz , Gigabyte p55 ud4p
1600mhz ddr3 4GB
GTX 660 2gb SC
Let's make sure history never forgets... the name... 'Enterprise'. Picard out.
notty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #314
chimaxi83
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notty22 View Post
What does this even mean? What does one have to do with the other?
It was a rather obscure , potential opening, on a update web service. Not sure what that has to do with GPU performance ?
What he meant is that it's funny how the Nvidia zombies are foaming at the mouth over this frame time issue now, when Nvidia is not in the performance lead, because in their minds, it somehow makes Nvidia look better. Mountains out of molehills, indeed. For all of you AMD users affected by this, hope your fix comes soon :thumbup:
__________________
Mine: 3770K - MSI Z77 MPower - Gigabyte 290 CF - 16GB Samsung - M4 256GB/Caviar Black 1TB - XFX Core Pro 1050W - NZXT Switch 810 - Auria IPS 27" 2560x1440 - Custom loop
Kiddo: 3770K - MSI Z77A-G43 - 7870 Tahiti LE - 8GB Samsung - M4 64GB/Caviar Black 1TB - Antec Neo Eco 620W - HAF 922
chimaxi83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #315
f1sherman
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
I said the same thing about 2 posts later. I'm glad you enlightened me though. My whole point still remains that both sides have driver issues.

Truth be told I've had more driver issues with Nvidia hardware. The only reason why is because I've used more nvidia GPU's over a longer period of time than I have AMD cards. Both companies have been great while I've used them, so I guess I'm just lucky.
Why do you want to talk about everything but the topic itself. Why.... I don't understaind.

This thread is no more about your hardware luck, or about Nvidia driver issues than it's about feeding the poor of sub Saharan Africa.
f1sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #316
Keysplayr
Elite Member
 
Keysplayr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 19,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaxi83 View Post
What he meant is that it's funny how the Nvidia zombies are foaming at the mouth over this frame time issue now, when Nvidia is not in the performance lead, because in their minds, it somehow makes Nvidia look better. Mountains out of molehills, indeed. For all of you AMD users affected by this, hope your fix comes soon :thumbup:
He's wrong. It just so happens that AMD has the fps lead currently. Whether or not Nvidia has that lead or not has little to do with smooth gameplay. Right?
So what is he talking about then because this has NOTHING to do with framerates. It has everything to do with frametimes. And AFAICT, Nvidia doesn't need more fps to offer a smoother performance over it's higher fps competitor. Interesting, right? Yeah, I thought it was interesting also, hence all of this discussion and more review sites jumping on board found it all very interesting to.

Oh, and it's zAMDies btw.
__________________
Member of Nvidia Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

i5 2500K Asus P-Z68-V/Gen3 Titan Black SLI

Last edited by Keysplayr; 01-07-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Keysplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #317
Keysplayr
Elite Member
 
Keysplayr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 19,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notty22 View Post
What does this even mean? What does one have to do with the other?
It was a rather obscure , potential opening, on a update web service. Not sure what that has to do with GPU performance ?
AHHHHHH I get it. Because they have fps on the brain and AMD has the fps lead currently, they must truly believe that everybody else in the world supporting this frame time movement, is pissed about that. Pretty shallow huh?
But Vulgar Display has actually said that he likes to get a rise out of people, so I wouldn't buy into his posts as so much believing what he is saying, and more so that he just might be trying to get that rise out of ya. Don't give him the satisfaction bro.
__________________
Member of Nvidia Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

i5 2500K Asus P-Z68-V/Gen3 Titan Black SLI
Keysplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #318
notty22
Diamond Member
 
notty22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beantown
Posts: 3,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaxi83 View Post
What he meant is that it's funny how the Nvidia zombies are foaming at the mouth over this frame time issue now, when Nvidia is not in the performance lead, because in their minds, it somehow makes Nvidia look better. Mountains out of molehills, indeed. For all of you AMD users affected by this, hope your fix comes soon :thumbup:


I see. I remember the same poster using (along the lines)MASSIVE exploit, when describing the security issue, with the last Nvidia driver. The references were unclear.
Thanks.
__________________
I5 750@3940mhz , Gigabyte p55 ud4p
1600mhz ddr3 4GB
GTX 660 2gb SC
Let's make sure history never forgets... the name... 'Enterprise'. Picard out.
notty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #319
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notty22 View Post
I see. I remember the same poster using (along the lines)MASSIVE exploit, when describing the security issue, with the last Nvidia driver. The references were unclear.
Thanks.
Even when I was talking about the exploit I was simply just talking about how drivers have problems, and not calling out nvidia for being worse than AMD.

It's funny how not drinking the kool-aid automatically labels you biased towards their opposition...
VulgarDisplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 AM   #320
Rikard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Alps
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1sherman View Post
And thx for being honest
*sigh* Why does every thread have to be turned into a fight between AMD and Nvidia? My previous six cards were Nvidia, now I have an AMD card, but apparently that makes me and AMD fanboy, is that it? Of course we are being honest, what would be gained by fabricating results? I wish you guys would stay on topic (other posters than you really f1sherman) and discuss TR's method since all this flame baiting is getting old fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
If you have to limit your FPS to 40 to get rid of stuttering, I don't really think it unreasonable to never report any benchmark framerate score above 40 fps, since that's all you can do without stutter.
No that is not what removes stuttering, that introduces it, at least in Hitman's case. It is other options in Radeon Pro that makes 1 frame in 100 go from instantaneous 40-something FPS to instantaneous 50-something FPS also outside. Obviously, this is not a game breaker for me. My issue is that no matter what I do, I never obtain as poor results as TR reported. If there is anybody else with the exact same card model as they used, please post your results so we can help TR find their problem!

Since I find FRAPS to be a blunt instrument, and video recording itself introduces stuttering, and I do not have a video capture card like PCPER, I used other people to look at my screen in an effort to do a "blind test". They also see no stuttering.

I guess what I am saying is that yes, there is some microstuttering that can be measured, but at least on my card it is not at all noticeable, not for me nor anybody else who looked for it. This is not a defense of AMD, but I feel one needs to put it into perspective and see the bigger picture.
__________________
Fractal Design Define R4 | Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 | Intel i5-2500 @ 4.3 GHz | Corsair AX 650 W
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair 16 GB 1.6 GHz | BluRay3D ASUS BC-12B1ST
Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X (8+8 pin) | 2x Fractal Design Silent Series R2 | Corsair M90
3x Xigmatek XAF-F1454 | Maxkeyboard Nighthawk X8 Semi-custom(MX Brown)
Corsair Vengeance 2000 7.1 Headset | Samsung Syncmaster BX2450 1080p@75 Hz
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #321
Will Robinson
Golden Member
 
Will Robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,402
Default

A little off topic perhaps but every time I run FRAPS the screen gets so jerky it actually effects my flying in BF.
It's been like that with every system I've owned so far.
When I play back the captured video it is perfectly smooth however.
Is that usual with FRAPS?
__________________
Intel CPUs and AMD GPUs.


Will Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #322
ArchAngel777
Diamond Member
 
ArchAngel777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Robinson View Post
A little off topic perhaps but every time I run FRAPS the screen gets so jerky it actually effects my flying in BF.
It's been like that with every system I've owned so far.
When I play back the captured video it is perfectly smooth however.
Is that usual with FRAPS?
When I record in-game video from FRAPS or MSI Afterburner on a regular HDD, I get what you are describing. But when I write it to my SSD array, it is butter smooth. So most of my videos are recorded on my SSD array and transfered later.
__________________
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz|ASRock Extreme 4 P67|16GB DDR3 1600|nVidia 480 GTX 1GB @ 822/1644/2000|Samsung 830 64GB SSD|4 Intel X25-M 80GB - RAID 0

Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|12GB DDR3|nVidia 480 GTX 1GB @ 822/1644/2000|Samsung 830 256GB SSD
ArchAngel777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #323
KCfromNC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
You do? Sounds like you've predetermined your answer before taking the blind test yourself. It's like you already know that you wont be able to tell the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
Yes. Lets make it more about Keysplayr and less about the subject. That'll work.
Yeah, complain about people making the thread about you and then cherry pick a single line out of context to manufacture a post making it about my implied biases. That's consistent.

Unfortunately, not all of us get free hardware from these companies to test with. I'm just going by what various hardware review sites have already said after looking into the matter, and combining that with the lack of observed problems in other chips which measure similar levels of stutter to the supposed problem AMD cards (e.g. GTX5xx). So far, I have seen lots of cases of blind testing showing little or no problem, and no cases where it has turned up a consistent result for one or the other companies being better.

I don't see using data like this to inform my views as a bad thing. Keep trying.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 01-08-2013 at 08:20 AM.
KCfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #324
Keysplayr
Elite Member
 
Keysplayr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 19,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Yeah, complain about people making the thread about you and then cherry pick a single line out of context to manufacture a post making it about my implied biases. That's consistent.

Unfortunately, not all of us get free hardware from these companies to test with. I'm just going by what various hardware review sites have already said after looking into the matter, and combining that with the lack of observed problems in other chips which measure similar levels of stutter to the supposed problem AMD cards (e.g. GTX5xx). So far, I have seen lots of cases of blind testing showing little or no problem, and no cases where it has turned up a consistent result for one or the other companies being better.

I don't see using data like this to inform my views as a bad thing. Keep trying.
That line was taken at 100% in context. Anyone can see that. I'm calling them like I see them bud.
__________________
Member of Nvidia Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

i5 2500K Asus P-Z68-V/Gen3 Titan Black SLI
Keysplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #325
Homeles
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaxi83 View Post
What he meant is that it's funny how the Nvidia zombies are foaming at the mouth over this frame time issue now, when Nvidia is not in the performance lead, because in their minds, it somehow makes Nvidia look better. Mountains out of molehills, indeed. For all of you AMD users affected by this, hope your fix comes soon :thumbup:
Let's not forget all the ridiculous laughing in the face of logic by the AMD crowd in response to Scott Wasson's findings.

And the assertion that Nvidia is behind AMD simply because AMD put out the faster chip is a horrifying display of ignorance. Just a little over one year ago, AMD had far and away the better performance per watt over Fermi. They had significantly better perf/mm^2. And you'd always hear about better performance per dollar. Where was the opposite side clamoring about their better performance? No -- the arguments made from the green team are almost always based around having superior driver support.

But now, all of a sudden, it's all about who's got the biggest performance at the top end -- power, and all of those other areas where AMD excelled, be damned. The hypocrisy is rather laughable.

The fact of the matter is that Nvidia has had a far more successful 28nm line of products than AMD has. It's indisputable -- the OEM wins and financial statments are incontrovertible proof of this.

But hardware communities tend to have a massive soft-spot for AMD, and to support their undying love, they defend their business with religious fervor.
Homeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.