· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
tracerbullet
Golden Member

Default Win 7 - Slow Boot - Due to Software RAID Resynching?

Playing with overclocking, got a few BSOD's and boot failures here and there, as might be expected. I've later come to realize that my boot times have really slowed down, not just a boot immediately after a BSOD, but every time I turn the computer on. The speed change has gone from about 15 seconds and is now up to 45 or so.

I've got a pair of 3TB drives mirrored using the Windows software RAID. I happened to notice that they are "resynching" again. I don't know much about the software RAID process, but I am guessing that the resynch is needed after the failed boot.

My question is - is the slowed boot time related to the resynching process? Intuitively I'm thinking "probably", but wondered if anyone knew enough to say for sure? I ask because it'll make the difference between me letting it sort itself out (a few days of constant on time to finish), or restoring the whole computer from a backup I made a month ago and losing all the changes in between.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
imagoon
Diamond Member

They really shouldn't need a resync after a failed boot. I would run some tests on the drives. RAID 1 shouldn't be that intensive. If it is a RAID 5 then that works the CPU harder and may slow the machine down.
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
tracerbullet
Golden Member

Well, what I do know is that they are resynching right now, Windows has taken it upon itself to do that. I know that prior to me messing w/ OC'ing (earlier in the day) they were listed as "healthy", and sometime after a few BSOD's & failed boots they are now resynching (later the same day). I can't pinpoint when the resynch started, and something else may have caused it of course, but it seems suspicious that it was within that time frame.

They're a RAID 1 mirror, set up through Windows. 2 new Seagate 3TB 7200.14's, FWIW.

I can run some diagnostics on the drives to see if something else triggered the resynch. I'm still wondering if that's what is causing it to boot up so slowly... Worst case i just trudge through it and let the resynch run and see if it speeds up afterwards. But it'd be nice to save that time if possible.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
tracerbullet
Golden Member

Well, on the off chance anyone else sees this some day... Once the resynch was completed, the boot speed went back to normal. Something like 12 seconds to run POST and get past the Asrock splash screen. Something like 15 more to get to the desktop including typing in a password. Prior to that, until the drives had resynched, it was more like a full minute.

Not a big deal for a while, just glad it wasn't permanent. Ineresting side effect of overclocking when using windows software RAID 1 mirroring: boot failure / BSOD = triggers drives to resynch = really slows down the boot time.