Hi. I would appreciate some confirmation of my troubleshooting.
I have a rather old desktop running Athlon 64 X2 on Socket 939 nForce 4 ultra (the motherboard is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186037
One day, after shutting down the computer, I found that the computer wouldn't turn on: I press the power button, and there's no response. No fans, no sound. Nothing.
- I tested the power switch using a multimeter and found that it works properly
- I tried to short out the power switch jumper to turn on the computer manually, and nothing happened.
- I tried CMOS reset to no effect
- I unplugged the motherboard ATX connector and detected a 5V standby voltage
- I shorted out the proper pins on the ATX connector, and the computer fans, power supply fan, and hard drives started spinning
- Multimeter showed proper voltages 12V and 5V when a molex connector was tested.
Is my motherboard dead? This problem happened once or twice before: the computer didn't turn on, but after waiting a while, then computer could be turned on again.
The CPU, memory, and graphics card should be good. In fact, I had upgrade the CPU and memory just half a year ago. A wasted investment now?
Finding a socket 939 board is going to be a pain. Any suggestions if the motherboard is indeed the problem?