Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
PokerGuy
Diamond Member
 
PokerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,752
Default

Terrible article, the fail is apparent from the second line:
Quote:
Is it any wonder then that mass shootings in the U.S. have skyrocketed in the past decade?
Uh, no. "mass shootings" have not "skyrocketed", they have remained relatively stable for decades. Idiots with a political agenda try to change the meaning of "mass shooting" to include 'regular' crimes like drive by shootings and the like to make it seem like mass shootings have skyrocketed. Real mass shootings like the one at Sandy Hook happen very infrequently, enough to not even be a rounding error in comparison to the 'regular' homicide and murder rates.

The rest of the article is just complete drivel. Those sentences and expressions have been a part of our lexicon for generations. Many of the expressions the idiot uses to pretend that weapons and guns are integrated into the culture are completely wrong to boot. For example, troubleshoot has nothing to do with shooting guns. Shoot is an old english word that also means send hastily or quickly. A troubleshooter was someone who worked on telephone lines.

Fail article.

Last edited by PokerGuy; 01-07-2013 at 09:17 AM.
PokerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #27
xj0hnx
Diamond Member
 
xj0hnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,238
Default

Quote:
With 5 percent of the world's population, Americans now possess about half of the world's guns.
Out right lie, and not a single fact to support it was presented. The whole article is bullshit.
__________________
www.svc.com

i7 920 | EVGA X58 E758-A1 | HIS HD6870 |12GB Crucial DDR3 | 5.5TB | OS X 10.6.8

Heat
xj0hnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
Nintendesert
Diamond Member
 
Nintendesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LOLorado.
Posts: 7,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingleberrydorkbutt View Post
Exactly.

Mass shootings used to be carried out exclusively by governments. I guess they don't like the competition.

BTW, government is historically the most dangerous thing on earth. That's why the founding fathers wanted to make sure the population was armed. They understood this.


Very true. There has also not been one Empire or Country that has withstood the test of time and endured, some may endure for centuries, some for decades but all countries and empires fall. This is just human history.

We don't even have to assume a fall of the USA, we just look at American history and see what this government is willing to do to people. We had concentration camps, erm, "internment" camps for people. We've done secret medical research on people. These are recent events too.

Then we look at law enforcement in Utah, faking DUIs and imprisoning maybe hundreds of innocent people. We then have law enforcement not even responding to crimes in some cities anymore. What happens if one of these cities goes no shit bankrupt or cops walk out on a strike somewhere? Anarchy. You just have to look at how quickly "civilization" turns into anarchy when the power goes out too. It's pretty insane just how fragile civilization really is.

People need to rely on themselves ultimately to defend their life, not others. Other people really don't give two shits about you. Other people having control over millions attracts a certain mentality that is scary. It attracts the Stalin's that murder 40+ million people randomly.

The good decent people that care about others are running soup kitchens and orphanages, not governments. Governments attract people that want to dominate others. Again, history teaches us this. We however just like to believe it couldn't happen to us.
__________________
TFP4Life!
Nintendesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #29
sigurros81
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,380
Default

I personally find the American gun culture is quite disturbing, especially when you go to a gun range or store and see the crowd that hangs out there, but I also find this article to be quite idiotic and full of panic rhetoric. With that said, I cannot find ammo anywhere for my firearms, ammo is flying off the shelves.

It's funny, when there is a tragedy and everyone start freaking out, all it does is strengthen the firearms manufacturers' economy.
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #30
xj0hnx
Diamond Member
 
xj0hnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurros81 View Post
I personally find the American gun culture is quite disturbing, especially when you go to a gun range or store and see the crowd that hangs out there, but I also find this article to be quite idiotic and full of panic rhetoric. With that said, I cannot find ammo anywhere for my firearms, ammo is flying off the shelves.

It's funny, when there is a tragedy and everyone start freaking out, all it does is strengthen the firearms manufacturers' economy.

Yea, all those clean cut, law abiding citizens ...frightening
__________________
www.svc.com

i7 920 | EVGA X58 E758-A1 | HIS HD6870 |12GB Crucial DDR3 | 5.5TB | OS X 10.6.8

Heat
xj0hnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
blackangst1
Lifer
 
blackangst1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,675
Default

Obviously we need to start limiting how many guns someone can have, and give the excess to those with no guns. We cant have so much owned and controlled by so few.
__________________
The Fall Of The Republic. Thanks, government and banking industry for intentionally screwing America.

“You don't make the poor richer by making the rich poorer." ~Winston Churchill
blackangst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #32
sigurros81
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendesert View Post
Very true. There has also not been one Empire or Country that has withstood the test of time and endured, some may endure for centuries, some for decades but all countries and empires fall. This is just human history.

We don't even have to assume a fall of the USA, we just look at American history and see what this government is willing to do to people. We had concentration camps, erm, "internment" camps for people. We've done secret medical research on people. These are recent events too.

Then we look at law enforcement in Utah, faking DUIs and imprisoning maybe hundreds of innocent people. We then have law enforcement not even responding to crimes in some cities anymore. What happens if one of these cities goes no shit bankrupt or cops walk out on a strike somewhere? Anarchy. You just have to look at how quickly "civilization" turns into anarchy when the power goes out too. It's pretty insane just how fragile civilization really is.

People need to rely on themselves ultimately to defend their life, not others. Other people really don't give two shits about you. Other people having control over millions attracts a certain mentality that is scary. It attracts the Stalin's that murder 40+ million people randomly.

The good decent people that care about others are running soup kitchens and orphanages, not governments. Governments attract people that want to dominate others. Again, history teaches us this. We however just like to believe it couldn't happen to us.
You raise some valid points, but at the same time you need to consider all the goods that the government are responsible for as well. The beauty of our American Democracy is that while we have pulled some crazy shit historically, we do a pretty good job at progressively rectifying our mistakes. With that said, and I am being as sensible as I can, am really annoyed with how our lawmakers are just dicking around more than actually getting work done.
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #33
sigurros81
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj0hnx View Post
Yea, all those clean cut, law abiding citizens ...frightening
I'm sure they're all law-abiding, but a lot of whom I've seen, and pardon for being judgmental, wouldn't even know how to recite the Pledge of Allegiance or perform basic arithmetic. But maybe it's just that I live in Texas
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #34
Nintendesert
Diamond Member
 
Nintendesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LOLorado.
Posts: 7,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurros81 View Post
You raise some valid points, but at the same time you need to consider all the goods that the government are responsible for as well. The beauty of our American Democracy is that while we have pulled some crazy shit historically, we do a pretty good job at progressively rectifying our mistakes. With that said, and I am being as sensible as I can, am really annoyed with how our lawmakers are just dicking around more than actually getting work done.



I'm not getting on the hater train for America here, don't misunderstand. And governments have done good things, it however only takes one incident to end your life. It's not like you get a do over. Just one police strike, one long power outage, one freak in office and everything could be turned upside down.

You said it too, our government is stuck on dicking around. They don't even have to be the ones doing active wickedness, they simply have to be asleep at the helm while we run into an iceberg.

I'm sure the Romans didn't think their government so inept as to allow the barbarians to storm the gates.
__________________
TFP4Life!
Nintendesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #35
xj0hnx
Diamond Member
 
xj0hnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurros81 View Post
I'm sure they're all law-abiding, but a lot of whom I've seen, and pardon for being judgmental, wouldn't even know how to recite the Pledge of Allegiance or perform basic arithmetic. But maybe it's just that I live in Texas
I'm sure your biased, stereotypical judgment was spot on
__________________
www.svc.com

i7 920 | EVGA X58 E758-A1 | HIS HD6870 |12GB Crucial DDR3 | 5.5TB | OS X 10.6.8

Heat
xj0hnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #36
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,990
Default

True freedom is having safety provided for you = Complete gun control like in London.

Fake NRA freedom is having to provide your own safety = USA

We need to move towards a truly free society and get out of the wild west mentality of every man needs a gun.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #37
Brovane
Platinum Member
 
Brovane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj0hnx View Post
Out right lie, and not a single fact to support it was presented. The whole article is bullshit.
I thought the same thing. It looks like the author is probably looking at this http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/filea...rch-Note-9.pdf

They estimate about 650 Million Civilian owned firearms worldwide and the US has about 270 Million. However the title of the article is misleading because it just stats guns and doesn't say civilian owned firearms.
Brovane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #38
sigurros81
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj0hnx View Post
I'm sure your biased, stereotypical judgment was spot on
Maybe it wasn't a judgement as much as it is an observation, but you're right, they could be neuroscientists. They just sure don't talk the part when you start talking to them or hearing them converse.
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #39
waggy
No Lifer
 
waggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 63,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudder View Post
We also have 0% of all genocide that occurs in the world.
tell that to the native Indians...
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #40
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post
tell that to the native Indians...
Sadly the Indians caved into the anti bow and arrow rhetoric. Turned out real well for them didn't it?
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #41
xj0hnx
Diamond Member
 
xj0hnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovane View Post
I thought the same thing. It looks like the author is probably looking at this http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/filea...rch-Note-9.pdf

They estimate about 650 Million Civilian owned firearms worldwide and the US has about 270 Million. However the title of the article is misleading because it just stats guns and doesn't say civilian owned firearms.
Every household in Iraq is allowed to have an AK47 machine gun. Most cars we stopped a checkpoints had an AK to two in them, people walked around with their machine guns. Africa, Afghanistan, Russia, South America all littered with firearms. That article, and pretty much any honest study, is going to be filled with guess work, but the fact is that America is one of the few that has reasonably accurate tracking of imports, and national made firearms. Vast numbers of firearms have made their way into third world countries that have no paper trail, so it's easy for them to point at the US and cry, but the irony is they can only do it because we actually give a shit.
__________________
www.svc.com

i7 920 | EVGA X58 E758-A1 | HIS HD6870 |12GB Crucial DDR3 | 5.5TB | OS X 10.6.8

Heat
xj0hnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #42
DougK62
Diamond Member
 
DougK62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,912
Default

"Is it any wonder then that mass shootings in the U.S. have skyrocketed in the past decade?"

I stopped reading after this first sentence. This is not accurate at all.
DougK62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #43
dingleberrydorkbutt
Member
 
dingleberrydorkbutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Between a rock and a hard place
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
True freedom is having safety provided for you = Complete gun control like in London.

Fake NRA freedom is having to provide your own safety = USA

We need to move towards a truly free society and get out of the wild west mentality of every man needs a gun.
I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic.
__________________
You’re Not Deep. You’re Not An Intellectual. You’re Not An Artist. You’re Not A Critic. You’re Not A Poet. You Just Have Internet Access. ~Unknown

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. " ~ Thomas Jefferson
dingleberrydorkbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #44
xj0hnx
Diamond Member
 
xj0hnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
True freedom is having safety provided for you = Complete gun control like in London.

Fake NRA freedom is having to provide your own safety = USA

We need to move towards a truly free society and get out of the wild west mentality of every man needs a gun.
/taps sarcasm meter

#cantbserious
__________________
www.svc.com

i7 920 | EVGA X58 E758-A1 | HIS HD6870 |12GB Crucial DDR3 | 5.5TB | OS X 10.6.8

Heat
xj0hnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #45
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingleberrydorkbutt View Post
I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic.
I was simply characterizing a common explanation of progressive vs conservative freedom in terms of gun control.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #46
dingleberrydorkbutt
Member
 
dingleberrydorkbutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Between a rock and a hard place
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
I was simply characterizing a common explanation of progressive vs conservative freedom in terms of gun control.
But gun control is not progressive, it's REgressive. That's the lie about so much of the liberal agenda. It's not progressive.

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)
__________________
You’re Not Deep. You’re Not An Intellectual. You’re Not An Artist. You’re Not A Critic. You’re Not A Poet. You Just Have Internet Access. ~Unknown

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. " ~ Thomas Jefferson
dingleberrydorkbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #47
ShawnD1
Lifer
 
ShawnD1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broheim View Post
that is a pretty fucking dumb article.
This. Maybe someone forgot to point out of the obvious reason USA has such a large percentage of guns: most of the world is extremely poor. India has more than a billion people, and the country's GDP is something like $3,000 per person per year while in USA it's up in the $40,000 to $50,000 range. Imagine you're an average person in India making around $3,000 per year. Would you rather blow $1,800 on a shiny new Desert Eagle pistol, or would you rather buy some food for your starving family?

You know which other countries have guns? The other good countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...ita_by_country
USA: 88.8 per 100 people
Switzerland: 45.7
Finland: 32
Sweden: 31.6
Norway: 31.3
France: 31.2
Canada: 30.8

The shittier countries tend to have fewer guns. The whole continent of Africa is virtually gun free. That would explain why it's so damn easy for a group of people with guns to raid a village, execute the men, rape the women, and recruit the children as soldiers.
Looking at the most heavily disarmed countries on that list, Japan (0.6/100) is the only one that isn't a complete piece of shit.

Quote:
we also have the largest collection of SSRI addicts and free ranging psychiatric patients and nut cases in the world all protected by the ACLU. When are we going to get a public registry of people on psychiatric drugs?? Who are they?? Where are they?? Are the around and about in places that result in a threat to public safety?? Read the MSDS of any psychiatric drug and ask your self..would I want this person around sharp objects or in areas where public safety is a concern. Where is the public registry??
I know you mean well, but what you're suggesting would actually make society significantly more dangerous. Suppose I start developing signs of schizophrenia; I know what they are because I've read a lot about that illness and I've met people who have it. In Canada right now, I would just go to a doctor (at no cost), get some drugs to manage it, and I could keep being a productive member of society. Under your plan, I would sweep the problem under the rug. I wouldn't want to get on a list of people who are "crazy" and/or on drugs, so I would try to manage the schizophrenia without any treatment. The schizophrenia would continually get worse because that's what schizophrenia does, and I would still be getting no treatment for my worsening state of mind. I would slowly get more paranoid and delusional. I would probably stockpile guns because I don't want "them" to take me away and erase my brain. I would start listening to Alex Jones a lot. After a few years or decades, who knows what would happen. Maybe I would use that stockpile of guns to shoot up a government building because the aliens talking to me are telling me that the government has been infiltrated and I need to start the armed rebellion. The aliens would tell me not to worry; I just need to get the ball rolling and I won't get in any trouble because other people will rise up at the same time and we can get this country back on track.

That really is how schizophrenics think, btw. I know a guy with schizophrenia, and he was saying we could rob a bank and get away with it because he "has immunity" from prison, but he wasn't "allowed" to explain why he had immunity.

Last edited by ShawnD1; 01-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.
ShawnD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #48
ShawnD1
Lifer
 
ShawnD1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,000
Default

woops, quote and edit are not the same
ShawnD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #49
Zxian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 576
Default

http://world.time.com/2012/12/20/the...re-that-works/

Looking at this from across the border, the mentality about guns is the problem in America. I grew up with hunting rifles in the household (that I have used) and handguns. The Swiss also have very open gun laws, but Swiss citizens view their firearms as tools to defend their country - never* as a weapon to get what they need (e.g. knocking over a 7-Eleven). They don't need them to protect against the potentially deranged neighbour or the guy who's going to rob a bank - because those things don't happen in the first place! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The Swiss have a firearms ownership that's roughly on par with the US (far higher than most other western cultures), and yet they have 1/10th the rate of firearms related crime. There's a reason for this, and it isn't just the existence of guns.
__________________
i7-3770K@4.2GHz|P8Z77 WS|4x4GB DDR3-1600|ASUS 770 DC2OC|2x Samsung 830 256GB|2xWD 750GB|3x2443BW|Win7 Ult x64
Zxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #50
raildogg
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,706
Default

I heard a news report on my local radio station that teachers attended a gun shooting event where they learned to shoot. Great. All we need are more guns.

Question: Where would the teachers hold the gun? Like on the side as the police officers do or would they leave it under their desk?

We're just making our society more and more complicated day by day. This is modernism and advancement.
__________________
ecgn

My systems
raildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.