· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #276
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47 View Post
I don't know what you just said.
Some type of subliminal message urging you and everyone to buy more nvidia stuff. 2 more 690s and a tegra 3 tablet should do it.
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #277
AnandThenMan
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
I think the people with the obvious bias towards either brand choose to ignore this in order to advance their agenda.
A certain member here outright admitted they are 100% Nvidia biased, so why even bother taking anything they post seriously? This entire thing is absolutely ridiculous, but I have to hand it to Nvidia, they are a marketing force. The minions eat it right up, my favorite is the guy who says he sees stuttering going from a GTX580 to a 7970.
AnandThenMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #278
AdamK47
Lifer

I'd also like to know what Railven said about me that was so spot on. Searched and couldn't find anything.
Intel Core i7 5960X - Asus Rampage V Extreme - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 - Four Nvidia GTX 980s in 4-Way SLI - 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD - Five 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSDs in 5TB RAID-0 - 6TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD - Pioneer BDR-206 BD-RW - Corsair Obsidian 750D case - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate cooler - Corsair AX1500i power supply - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard - CST LaserTRAC 2545W trackball - BenQ BL3200PT monitor - Shure SRH1440 headphones - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #279
SirPauly
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened23 View Post
Some type of subliminal message urging you and everyone to buy more nvidia stuff..

Sarcastic conspiracy theory:

Indeed! Think the unsmooth frames that do happen with nVidia products are subliminal messages, specifically with AFR and controlled to more levels by their frame metering and called this micro-conditioning years ago! It isn't their hardware, software prowess or their pro-active nature that creates the biased, loyalist nVidia mind-set.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #280
blackened23
Diamond Member

I was just joking, I don't disagree about nvidia's hardware and software prowess. I was actually impressed by how much the latest drivers improved Far Cry 3 in SLI - game plays great for me now.
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #281
SirPauly
Diamond Member

Quote:
I was just joking,
So was I!
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #282
railven
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'd also like to know what Railven said about me that was so spot on. Searched and couldn't find anything.
I think it was a miscommunication. I don't even know who you are! And I don't mean that rudely, haha.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #283
Homeles
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
A problem where a malicious attack can destroy your system, or a problem that you most likely can't even detect. You need to realize I'm not attacking nvidia or defending AMD. I'm just drawing attention to the absurd amounts of effort certain members of this forum devote to downplaying nvidia problems and blowing AMD issues out of proportion.

Now they will reply by saying that they can detect the problem and that's why they only buy nvidia cards. They will even say that this had been a problem for years. All while people who actually use AMD GPUs have been happily playing games with no problems.
AMD has had security issues too, such as their lack of ASLR support in EMET earlier this year.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5966/u...river-security

Security vulnerability issues happen from time to time for every single software and hardware company in existence. That is just how computers work — I'm glad that you've given me the opportunity to enlighten you.

Citing one issue by its lonesome and implying that the company with that is less competent than another is completely inane. Like the people pointing out Nvidia shimmering issues that happened a good 6 years ago. What else has happened since then? If you are incapable of producing a series of failures over a period of time, your argument is not worth the pathetic amount of storage space it takes up on these servers.
Homeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #284
Keysplayr
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't know what you just said.

Dude, it was from my smartphone and it turned stupid. Scouts honor. LOL I'll fix it.

i5 2500K Asus P-Z68-V/Gen3 GTX980 SLI
Keysplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #285
Keysplayr
Elite Member

Quote:
Some type of subliminal message urging you and everyone to buy more nvidia stuff. 2 more 690s and a tegra 3 tablet should do it.
Yes. Lets make it more about Keysplayr and less about the subject. That'll work.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #286
Keysplayr
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandThenMan View Post
A certain member here outright admitted they are 100% Nvidia biased, so why even bother taking anything they post seriously? This entire thing is absolutely ridiculous, but I have to hand it to Nvidia, they are a marketing force. The minions eat it right up, my favorite is the guy who says he sees stuttering going from a GTX580 to a 7970.
Which member? And show us the quote.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #287
Final8ty
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Yep. This happens in all fields. That's why the negative results from blind testing are interesting to me. Sure, something's going on with the measurement but as far as anyone can show, what's being measured is tough to perceive without someone telling you beforehand what you're supposed to see. This is perfectly consistent with all of the benchmarks out there, too - as others have pointed out, the measured problems with nV 5xx cards were never seen before in actual game play testing.

And yeah, I know we'll be accused of being blind. It's the same approach audio marketing takes when they want to sell $15,000 power cables (http://bmicable.com/oceanic_statement) and $200 magic stones (special sale! - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7506-sh...zer-stone.aspx) which make music sound better. Sure, you'll hear a difference with these just so long as you believe the hype. When you don't know if they're installed or not, suddenly the difference goes away. There's a reason people spend so much money (and give away so much "free" hardware) for marketing.
LOL! great post and personally i only have the FPS counter on for a little while then turn it off and it only goes back on in any particular game if i see and think i have an issue.
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1500i PSU
Final8ty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #288
Rikard

One thing that keeps bothering me is that despite having the same card as TR tested in their review I cannot reproduce their results, and I tried now for almost a month (OK I did other stuff too...)

I believe I have identified where on the map they are, and have a save with similar environmental conditions etc so I should be able to get their value of 31 ms in the 1% extreme. Instead I get 23 ms, corresponding to an instantaneous FPS of 43. When I am indoors I get about 19 ms in the 99th percentile, which is similar to their Whiterun scores, so the real question is why do they have so bad results outdoors which I cannot reproduce? Then, if I use Radeon Pro to fix the supposed microstuttering I get 19 ms also outside (which corresponds to 52 FPS instantaneous). I said before that I do not appear to be very sensitive to microstuttering, but is anybody really if you have one frame out of hundred dropping from 60 FPS to 43, or 52 for that matter?

Contrary to some people (mostly on other sites) I am not saying that TR are deliberately sabotaging their tests, but they seem to have a problem specific to themselves, and since I cannot reproduce their poor performance I still think we need more reviews on this if we should draw any conclusions from it. There could be something else in their setup that makes their results worse than what I can obtain. For example, I wanted to record a video like they did, but even when saving it on a separate drive the video recording itself caused stuttering.

And like I said in my previous post, I noticed some stutter in a few pathological cases that FRAPS are not picking up, so I think we need to go beyond what TR was doing. I find the PCPER method interesting for that purpose.
3x Xigmatek XAF-F1454 | Maxkeyboard Nighthawk X8 Semi-custom(MX Brown)
Corsair Vengeance 2000 7.1 Headset | Samsung Syncmaster BX2450 1080p@75 Hz
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #289
f1sherman
Platinum Member

"cannot reproduce their results"...

you have same test scene/benchmark run like TR?

WTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard View Post
And like I said in my previous post, I noticed some stutter in a few pathological cases that FRAPS are not picking up,
No one responded to you because you dont seem to understand:

FRAPS fps curve is not supposed to pick up anything latency problematic. It's fraps frame-times(from log) that pick up AMD's issue.

EDIT: Fraps FPS curve with much longer polling time than typicaly frame time that is. If you are saying you have stuttering that even frame-times are not picking up that would be interesting.

Last edited by f1sherman; 01-07-2013 at 03:56 PM.
f1sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #290
Rikard

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1sherman View Post
"cannot reproduce their results"...

you have same test scene/benchmark run like TR?

WTH
Like I said, I think I reproduce their conditions quite accurately, so yes I do.

Quote:
No one responded to you because you dont seem to understand:

FRAPS fps curve is not supposed to pick up anything latency problematic. It's fraps frame-times(from log) that pick up AMD's issue.
I am talking of frame times. Please read before you post next time.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #291
f1sherman
Platinum Member

Quote:
Like I said, I think I reproduce their conditions quite accurately, so yes I do.
LOL

Quote:
I am talking of frame times. Please read before you post next time.
Fair enough.

I don't believe that you have stuttering with smooth frame-time distribution.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #292
Hitman928

Quote:
Fair enough.

I don't believe that you have stuttering with smooth frame-time distribution.
I personally have experienced the same and have posted videos/graphs showing it.
Hitman928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #293
f1sherman
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman928 View Post
I personally have experienced the same and have posted videos/graphs showing it.

Stuttering with smooth, horizontal for most parts - delta function like behavior of frame time distribution? Similar to 660 Ti above... and yet stuttering?

I'd love to see that.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #294
Rikard

Quote:

Stuttering with smooth, horizontal for most parts - delta function like behavior of frame time distribution? Similar to 660 Ti above... and yet stuttering?

I'd love to see that.
I think Hitman will give you the link now any second for you. Since that stuttering is quite severe and still giving constant frame times in FRAPS I suspect it has a very different cause, but that does not make it any less important.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #295
f1sherman
Platinum Member

That would only be possible with frame-skipping.
CPU bottleneck perhaps.
And 60% CPU load, even across single core, does not mean it's not CPU bottleneck.

That's why PCPER idea is a huge step forward. Nothing goes undetected.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #296
Hitman928

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B11...XYwV3p2WVlBQmM

Download video and watch at it's native res (i.e. don't force it to full screen) for best viewing.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #297
f1sherman
Platinum Member

Hitman, can you post frame-times while you're at it?

BTW that wouldnt be Radeon Pro, would it?

I don't recall Afterburner's limiter producing such a flat curve.

And I did watch: Definitly frame-skipping
Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #298
Hitman928

Quote:
Hitman, can you post frame-times while you're at it?

BTW that wouldnt be Radeon Pro, would it?

I don't recall Afterburner's limiter producing such a flat curve.

And I did watch: Definitly frame-skipping
Those are frame times, unless you mean the raw data . . .

Yes, it's radeon pro.

I've never heard/seen anyone claim that using a frame limiter caused frame skipping. . .
Old 01-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #299
f1sherman
Platinum Member

Nvm raw data then...

Just use Afterburner if you really need limiter.

It seems that hard fps averaging, i.e. strict wait for frame draw that Radon Pro does has its deficiencies.
And thx for being honest
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #300
Hitman928

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VlmRTRmUGJJS1E

raw data ^

I'll give Afterburner a try later on tonight if I have time.