· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
GreenMeters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriag...#North_America

United States: 18 (two exceptions: 19 in Nebraska and 21 in Mississippi). Most states, however, allow minors below 18 to marry (generally they have to be at least 16 but sometimes lower) with parental and/or judicial consent, and some states allow female minors below 18 to marry without parental or judicial consent if she is pregnant.

So everything about American culture and values is repulsive too, right?
GreenMeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
ichy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack200 View Post
Yeah, and besides it would probably be good to drag our own marriage laws kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
Our culture and laws have their flaws but nowhere in the US will you see 15 year old girls being sold off like property by their parents.
“Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely soley upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. We may differ on many things, but what we respect is free inquiry, openmindedness, and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake.”
-Christopher Hitchens
ichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Incorruptible
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMeters View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriag...#North_America

United States: 18 (two exceptions: 19 in Nebraska and 21 in Mississippi). Most states, however, allow minors below 18 to marry (generally they have to be at least 16 but sometimes lower) with parental and/or judicial consent, and some states allow female minors below 18 to marry without parental or judicial consent if she is pregnant.

So everything about American culture and values is repulsive too, right?
Alright idiot!

That girl WAS FORCED TO BE MARRIED, that might be hard for you to comprehend so take a couple days to think about and then come back when your educated on this issue
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #29
nehalem256
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
Our culture and laws have their flaws but nowhere in the US will you see 15 year old girls being sold off like property by their parents.
Instead you see 15 year old girls getting knocked up and sucking down government benefits.
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
Texashiker
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
You may be the sort of moral midget who thinks that there are no absolutes of right and wrong and that it's all relative, however some of us recognize that forcing 90 year old men on 15 year old girls is disgusting and immoral regardless of the culture or circumstances.
Your opinion of what is right and wrong, is nothing more then a reflection of the society you were raised in.
Texashiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
sze5003
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsyo View Post
So you're OK with it if it's done quietly?

I thought the bride's family paid the dowry.
Why would I have anything to do with it or what could I do? I just said it wasn't alright in my view. I have family that is middle eastern but none of them got married like that.

Here in US a girl that is 16 and pregnant gets a tv show that's also something that isn't right and pushing the stuff to society like its fine.
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3| Core i5 2500k @4.2Ghz-Hyper212 EVO| 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | 256GB Samsung 830 |128GB Crucial M4 | Saphire VaporX 7970Ghz 3GB | NZXT Phantom 410 | 750W Corsair Enthusiast
sze5003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #32
nehalem256
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sze5003 View Post
Here in US a girl that is 16 and pregnant gets a tv show that's also something that isn't right and pushing the stuff to society like its fine.
If you are old enough for society to allow you to be a mother than you are old enough to get married.
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #33
jackschmittusa
Diamond Member

Their country/culture, their rules. You can argue that their country should change the rules or that their culture needs an update. But who the hell are you to propose punishments that you see fit?

What would you think of a foreigner proposing a punishment for you if you followed rules he didn't like?

Enjoy a BLT without fear.
jackschmittusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
Alright idiot!

comprehend so take a couple days to think about and then come back when your educated on this issue
Can we send a Dowry or something to the Middle East so we can get a replacement for Incorruptible? We can cross ship.
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #35
Olikan
Golden Member

didn't Allan Poe married a 13 years old girl ?
Olikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #36
thraashman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
If you are old enough for society to allow you to be a mother than you are old enough to get married.
Oh my god will you shut the fuck up! We get it, anything women do is bad and you hate women and want to vilify women in every way you can. Now shut up and move on as you've said the same jackass thing three times in this thread.

Campaigning to get all members of P&N to put nehalem256 on their ignore list. The quality of posts in P&N can only improve once most people do.
thraashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #37
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

if the girl and her family dont hold up their end of the bargain they should he to return the money
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #38
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thraashman View Post
Oh my god will you shut the fuck up!
No, he won't. Just put him on ignore, or at least, for the sake of those of us who have, please stop quoting his hate-obssessed inanities?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #39
thraashman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Alright idiot!

That girl WAS FORCED TO BE MARRIED, that might be hard for you to comprehend so take a couple days to think about and then come back when your educated on this issue
I don't think he was defending what happened in Saudi Arabia. It appears he's responding to the person who said everything about Saudi Arabian culture was bad by pointing out that in the U.S. we have some pretty ass backwards laws too. Yes, this practice in Saudi Arabia and any country that does it is reprehensible (note it doesn't happen in just Islamic countries like you'd like to believe and not all Islamic countries do this). But this one practice doesn't make everything about Saudi Arabia horrific. Though I would say they have a much higher rate of civil rights defying laws than anywhere I'm aware of and in fact are probably the worst country for civil rights in the Islamic world.

Campaigning to get all members of P&N to put nehalem256 on their ignore list. The quality of posts in P&N can only improve once most people do.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #40
thraashman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
No, he won't. Just put him on ignore, or at least, for the sake of those of us who have, please stop quoting his hate-obssessed inanities?
I don't ignore anyone, but perhaps I should reconsider that.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
Darwin333
Lifer

Quote:
Alright idiot!

But it looks like they followed Gods rules so what is your issue with it? I could of swore that you were a Christian, do you not believe that the bible is the word of the Lord?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #42
sandorski
No Lifer

I had a very clinical/philosophical post typed out about the subject. Then decided to read the article. Previous post deleted.

Not Rape, but totally fucked up. I just can't imagine the thought process that goes along with thinking that this is ok. Clearly the Girl is considered just a piece of Property and with the same regard as one would consider a Toaster. That's the most fucked up part of it.

FX 8320@4ghz||Zalman LQ310||AsusM5A99X EVO R2
||XFX 5870 1gb||16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3||Seasonic M12 II 500watts||Zalman Z9 Plus||Asus MS238H

Science inspires us towards a better tomorrow, Fundamentalism wants us to die.
sandorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #43
Jaskalas
Lifer

I'd lock myself in a room too if my great great granddaddy was trying to have his way with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandorski View Post
Clearly the Girl is considered just a piece of Property and with the same regard as one would consider a Toaster. That's the most fucked up part of it.
That's the best way to view this. We need to fight back against Islamic countries to obtain equal rights for women and minorities. That means economic direction towards the most "liberal" among them.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #44
sze5003
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskalas View Post
I'd lock myself in a room too if my great great granddaddy was trying to have his way with me...

That's the best way to view this. We need to fight back against Islamic countries to obtain equal rights for women and minorities. That means economic direction towards the most "liberal" among them.
While some people in Islamic countries favor liberty and certain other freedoms like we have in US, what you're saying is a no go. That's how they have been for years since their rules were written and practiced. That's culture you are talking about, culture that has been in practice for a loong time.

It's not right or proper but I don't think we have any say in someone else's culture. Kinda like going to someone's house and saying oh we are eating at 5pm, well at my house we eat at 6pm we should do that.
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3| Core i5 2500k @4.2Ghz-Hyper212 EVO| 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | 256GB Samsung 830 |128GB Crucial M4 | Saphire VaporX 7970Ghz 3GB | NZXT Phantom 410 | 750W Corsair Enthusiast
Old 01-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #45
JTsyo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why would I have anything to do with it or what could I do? I just said it wasn't alright in my view. I have family that is middle eastern but none of them got married like that.

I was just poking fun at aloud instead of allowed.
JTsyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #46
Jaskalas
Lifer

Quote:
While some people in Islamic countries favor liberty and certain other freedoms like we have in US, what you're saying is a no go. That's how they have been for years since their rules were written and practiced. That's culture you are talking about, culture that has been in practice for a loong time.

It's not right or proper but I don't think we have any say in someone else's culture. Kinda like going to someone's house and saying oh we are eating at 5pm, well at my house we eat at 6pm we should do that.
We have economic impact to drive things towards what we favor, just as the rest of the world does. "Not proper" is with regards to military invasion / conquest. That is not the same as economic or cultural conquest, which I feel we can more readily apply.

If, for example, Turkey were to be less screwed up culturally then we should strive to empower them as the leading standard bearer for the rest of the region.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #47
Ausm
Lifer

I doubt that dude could get it up with a crane so really there is no concern for Rightist outrage.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #48
sze5003
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskalas View Post
We have economic impact to drive things towards what we favor, just as the rest of the world does. "Not proper" is with regards to military invasion / conquest. That is not the same as economic or cultural conquest, which I feel we can more readily apply.

If, for example, Turkey were to be less screwed up culturally then we should strive to empower them as the leading standard bearer for the rest of the region.
A good example would be nice but a lot of those middle eastern country have been backwards old world rules for a while.

Oh and aloud lol , stupid autocorrect.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #49
Theb
Diamond Member

Quote:
Marriage or rape?
Traditional marriage doesn't see a distinction. Interesting to see conservatives advocating a redefinition of marriage.
Theb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #50
blackangst1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashiker View Post
Your opinion of what is right and wrong, is nothing more then a reflection of the society you were raised in.
Correct!

“You don't make the poor richer by making the rich poorer." ~Winston Churchill
blackangst1 is offline   Reply With Quote