· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Sephire
Golden Member

Question What is the best Start menu app or trick for Windows 8

Stupid metro interface

Gotta have it on Windows 8. Any suggestions?
All systems (6) Windows 7 64 bit
Sephire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
corkyg
Peripherals

Start8 works for me.

"We all have private ails. The troublemakers are they who need public cures for their private ails." - Eric Hoffer
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
lakedude
Golden Member

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7...-in-windows-8/

I'm using Power 8 which is free. EDIT: Switched to Classic Shell. Power 8 was too slow.

Start 8 costs like $5...

Last edited by lakedude; 01-02-2013 at 01:56 AM.
lakedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
MontyAC
Diamond Member

I use Classic Shell, it's freeware.
MontyAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
kbp

+ 1 for Start8. It's 4.99 and simple.

kbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
jhansman
Platinum Member

Start 8 or Start is Back.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Salamander

Start 8 works for me as well.
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Another vote for Start8. It's $5, but it's $5 well spent since it's the most accurate of the Start Menu applications. Otherwise Classic Shell is a reasonable facsimile for free.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
HeXen
Diamond Member

I prefer Start8's "windows 8 style" in wide mode.
makes the start screen feel more like a modern start menu without the split personality effect.
i honestly never really liked the classic menu style, mostly the Tree hierarchy which usually gets cluttered with 3rd party sub menu's and useless shortcuts, stupid if you ask me

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
guskline
Platinum Member

Pay $5 for Start8 and you will be a happy camper!
guskline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
postmortemIA
Diamond Member

Windows 7. Way to tell Microsoft thanks but no.

Today I learned that there are people who don't know how to exit metro ui.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
lakedude
Golden Member

I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $5 for Start-8 so I tried another free one. Power-8 was OK but it really slow. Classic Shell is working more to my liking. Between Classic Shell and a registry change to disable side swipe gesture pop ups, Win8 might be OK after all.

They still need to fix Task Manager or whatever reason you can't seem to kill a malfunctioning game but Classic Shell has me booting straight to desktop and it is working pretty darn slick.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Mem
Lifer

In beta of Win8 I used Start8,however since official release I have got use to Win+X menu,you don't really need a third party mod to be honest but I can understand old ways die hard for a lot of users out there.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortemIA View Post

Lol is it really that hard,maybe they should stick to consoles ,Windows key or left click in bottom left corner or click on Desktop tile in Metro,rocket science for some I guess .

Btw interesting poll on those that are using or not using a Start menu mod for Win8 at OCUK,http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18461269 ,no is winning by 2 to 1, so looks like a lot of users getting use to Win+x menu .

Last edited by Mem; 01-02-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortemIA View Post

Just a few days ago I was reminded that the Windows key acts more like a back button than a traditional Windows key in Win8. I had done a fresh reboot of my Win8 VM after installing some software, logged in and it went to the Start screen. After a few minutes of unpinning dozens of unnecessary icons I hit the Win key to get the desktop and nothing happened. I waited a few seconds thinking that it was just responding slowly but nothing still happened, obviously I realized what was going on and hit Win+D to get back to it. But the point is that the whole thing isn't intuitive at all and I'm not surprised that it's confusing people.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
Just a few days ago I was reminded that the Windows key acts more like a back button than a traditional Windows key in Win8. I had done a fresh reboot of my Win8 VM after installing some software, logged in and it went to the Start screen. After a few minutes of unpinning dozens of unnecessary icons I hit the Win key to get the desktop and nothing happened. I waited a few seconds thinking that it was just responding slowly but nothing still happened, obviously I realized what was going on and hit Win+D to get back to it. But the point is that the whole thing isn't intuitive at all and I'm not surprised that it's confusing people.
Top 15 shortcuts for Win8,http://blog.laptopmag.com/15-essenti...oard-shortcuts .

I don't use them much maybe Windows key as back and shortcut to desktop sometimes,I probably use Win+X menu via mouse( right click in left bottom corner for those that don't know)more then any keyboard shortcut ,however easier to customize icons/shortcuts to desktop and taskbar etc.. in long run.

Quote:
But the point is that the whole thing isn't intuitive at all and I'm not surprised that it's confusing people.
Makes you wonder how people got along with DOS 6.22 in the old days,all the DOS commands you had to learn,but once you knew them easy as pie.

Last edited by Mem; 01-02-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post
Top 15 shortcuts for Win8,http://blog.laptopmag.com/15-essenti...oard-shortcuts .

I don't use them much maybe Windows key as back and shortcut to desktop sometimes,I probably use Win+X menu via mouse( right click in left bottom corner for those that don't know)more then any keyboard shortcut ,however easier to customize icons/shortcuts to desktop and taskbar etc.. in long run.
That's the thing though, the Windows key isn't both "back and shortcut to desktop", it's just back. It just works out that back takes you to the desktop frequently because that's where you're spending most of your time.

Quote:
Makes you wonder how people got along with DOS 6.22 in the old days,all the DOS commands you had to learn,but once you knew them easy as pie.
No need to wonder, I had no problem learning Linux and loving bash from like '99 up until a few years ago but now I just don't have the patience for little projects like setting up Samba and such. Don't get me wrong, I still use Linux as my primary PC at home because it largely "just works", I just don't venture out of what I already know much now. =)
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
lakedude
Golden Member

Quote:
Never even considered owning a PC until Win95. Before that they were too much like work.

I could DOS around just fine but someone better be paying me to do it...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

Learn to use Metro.

/profit
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
HeXen
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude View Post
Never even considered owning a PC until Win95. Before that they were too much like work.

I could DOS around just fine but someone better be paying me to do it...
Kinda how i always felt about Linux. Not the default generic usage but you know, to actually really use it and get it all setup how you work and need it.
I didn't mind the DOS days only because i was so much younger, typing seemed fun back then, yet today the moment i have to type simply Netplwiz or sudo apt-get i'm immediately put off.

I actually wouldn't mind a modernized Windows NT 4 or something. Simple, light, without all the BS even though much of that is kinda required nowadays anyhow but i do hate having a 30 gig OS on my small SSD. Win8 does feel light at first, but it definitely bogs down in time, i kinda miss the Windows 95 with just explorer running in background.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"

Last edited by HeXen; 01-03-2013 at 06:32 PM.
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
AsgardDevice

I prefer Classic Shell, but my only wish for these classic start menu applications is that they'd allow us to retain the functionality of the Windows key. I'd like to be able to quickly switch back to the metro UI with one click.

The fastest way I know is to press windows+C, then click on start on the right side. (which isn't bad at all, but we are on a constant quest to improve.)
AsgardDevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #22
CA19100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsgardDevice View Post
I prefer Classic Shell, but my only wish for these classic start menu applications is that they'd allow us to retain the functionality of the Windows key. I'd like to be able to quickly switch back to the metro UI with one click.
With Start8, you can do that. You can even have the left Windows key do the start menu, while the right Win key does the Metro start screen. Works well.
CA19100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
Carson Dyle

Does Start8 offer an XP-like Start menu, like Classic Shell (which I use in Windows 7)?
Carson Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Does Start8 offer an XP-like Start menu, like Classic Shell (which I use in Windows 7)?
No. It offers a Windows 7 start menu. There's no reason to get Start8 if you want XP; the only reason to get Start8 is because it's a far better replica of the Windows 7 start menu than anything else out there.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
Carson Dyle

Sounds like Start8 has fewer features than Classic Shell. What does the "better replica" part buy you in terms of usability?
Carson Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote