· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Tomatos100

Default Returning iPad 4 16GB for Nexus 10 32GB?

I'm thinking about returning my newly purchased iPad 4 16GB. I am new to tablets. Here are the reasons why I want to return it for a Nexus 10:

1. I am a developer. It will cost me $700 more to develop a game for iPad than it will for an Android like the Nexus 10. Apple charges about $100/year for their developer program and I need at least a Mac Mini which costs $600 to develop for the iPad. I should have been thinking about this before I bought this and I kind of was, but it wasn't until later that the realization of a dollar hit me - I am trying to cut my developer budget.

It will however still cost me some money if I get a Nexus 10, because I will have to rebuy the games I bought from iTunes through Google Play. This will cost me $50.

2. I can't transfer CDs from computer to iPad. I should be able to. I followed a tutorial and everything. One CD transferred and after that, nothing worked.

3. The 16GB of the iPad isn't really enough storage space. 32GB isn't much better, but it's better. This iPad is the first tablet I've owned and I didn't actually know how much space I would need. I looked into solutions like wireless hard drives and wireless flash drives but they seem impractical.

4. This isn't as big a complaint as the others, but I was under the impression that the iPad 4 would run games buttery smooth. I still notice an occasional hiccup in games though.
Tomatos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

if youre trying to sell apps, youre better off with apple. android users dont like to pay for stuff
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

1: If you are a mobile developer, then you should know that iOS is where the money is. IIRC, the developer program itself is free, as is almost all of the resources, the SDK, and the developer environment. It is $99/yr to list your app on the store I think. Which obviously, you don't need to do until it's ready.

2: Sounds like operator error to me. Without knowing how you are trying to get the CDs onto the iPad, can't really help you there (if you decide to keep the iPad, you can open a new thread in All Things Apple for help with iTunes).

3: That's perfectly valid, but see point 1 about why replacing the 16GB iPad with a larger capacity NOT-iPad may not be the best way to go

4: What games are you noticing issues on?

You don't have to have a new Mac, you could get a used or refurbished one to save yourself a little dough.

Here is the next question, what programming experience do you have? iOS apps are written in Cocoa.
TheStu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Tomatos100

Sonic 4 Episode 1 HD, Infinity Blade II, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted have all experienced hiccups on my iPad 4.

I believe I will actually be using Game Maker Studio for making a game, which has iOS and Android support. I think it's enough for what I want to create. The game will probably take me around 6 months. Maybe less, maybe more. Then I will try to have it published on Google Play or Itunes, depending on which tablet I have and have tested the game on.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
bearxor
Diamond Member

Seriously? I have an iPhone 5 and I just bought NFS:MW and have been playing it a lot. I haven't noticed any stuttering issues. The iPhone 5 has the same CPU as the iPad 4 and a more powerful GPU solution, but significantly larger resolution. I suppose I could fire it up on my iPad 3 just to see.

But, as others have said, iOS users buy more apps and, on average, spend more money on them. Are you looking to do something on the market/app store for free or are you looking to make some money?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
ponyo
Lifer

Are you complaining about the cost to develop games on the iOS or are you complaining about poor game performance of iPad4? Because iPad4 is pretty much the best tablet for games. You're not going to find Nexus 10 any better. In fact it will be lot worse when it comes to game performance. If you want cheap tablet to test and develop games on, Nexus 7 is better choice than Nexus 10.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
Tomatos100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
Seriously? I have an iPhone 5 and I just bought NFS:MW and have been playing it a lot.
I swear. In the 20 minutes I have played the game, I noticed 2-3 hiccups lasting about 2 seconds each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
Are you looking to do something on the market/app store for free or are you looking to make some money?
Make some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
You're not going to find Nexus 10 any better. In fact it will be lot worse when it comes to game performance.
While that's true, the Nexus 10 has different hardware and software, so there's a possibility that it may not have the same problem.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
Are you complaining about the cost to develop games on the iOS or are you complaining about poor game performance of iPad4? Because iPad4 is pretty much the best tablet for games. You're not going to find Nexus 10 any better. In fact it will be lot worse when it comes to game performance. If you want cheap tablet to test and develop games on, Nexus 7 is better choice than Nexus 10.
I'd argue the iPad Mini is better, in terms of actually playing said games.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
cheezy321
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLAMA2009 View Post
if youre trying to sell apps, youre better off with apple. android users dont like to pay for stuff
This. It takes money to make money. Android users are very tight with their wallets.

The biggest problem with America is not faceless corporate forces; the biggest problem with America is people who blame faceless corporate forces instead of accepting accountability for their own lives. - Chuck Klosterman
cheezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy321 View Post
This. It takes money to make money. Android users are very tight with their wallets.
Or looking at it from another angle, Android developers are less likely to charge money for their apps...
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Mopetar
Platinum Member

You could always look into building a hackintosh as well. May not be perfectly feasible depending on your current setup, but it might not be that difficult either.

Also, what are you doing or using to transfer CDs to your iPad? I want to assume that you mean music, but given how hassle free that is, you shouldn't be having problems, so are you talking about something else?
Mopetar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
MrX8503
Diamond Member

The iPad 4 has the most powerful GPU. You're not going to get a better gaming experience on the nexus 10.

While the apple market is more costly for Devs, you do make more money there. So there's a trade off.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
amandaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
Or looking at it from another angle, Android developers are less likely to charge money for their apps...
^This. Also not charging for your app doesn't = not making money. They're called adds guys.
amandaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
dagamer34
Platinum Member

If you plan on making any serious amount of money, you need to spend money as well. If $600 for a Mac mini costs too much, I don't think you've really looked at the situation carefully, as I'm sure the time of actually developing an app/game, finding someone to create assets for you, and promoting it, and the time you put into it (yes, your time is worth month), will costs much more than $600. However, if you think you are going to produce any kind of app that will gain traction for less than $600 (or you think you are going to make less than $600), I think you'll be disappointed.

Also, more money is made on iOS than Android. That's just a fact. And it's a bad idea to base the decisions of what platform to developer for with how to feel about the platform. It's a nice way to lose money.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Tomatos100

I was using iTunes to try to transfer music CDs. After the first CD, clicking the "sync iPad" button didn't do anything.

About my hiccup problem, I had a computer once with a powerful graphics card but that needed a CPU upgrade. When I tried Crysis, it would hiccup. Fixing the CPU also fixed the hiccups. While not enough GPU performance might also cause hiccups, what I'm saying is, there's a possibility that the higher CPU performance the Nexus 10 apparently has could fix the hiccups I'm experiencing in games, if it's a CPU problem instead of a GPU one. Or if it's a software problem, exchanging for a Nexus 10 could also fix it. I'm getting technical and theoretical here, but after all, it is a hardware forum.

I understand that I might make more money making games for iOS than Android, but I'm more concerned right now with getting there. Making a game for Android will cost me $300 and making one for iOS will cost me $1000.

Right now, as for the way this discussion is going, I'd prefer to get back to talking about whether or not I should exchange for a Nexus 10, about the hardware and features of the two.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
PowerYoga
Diamond Member

most droid apps run off ads, with paid version being ad free. You'll still make money but if money is your main objective I'd develop for iOS and then port to droid.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Spineshank
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatos100 View Post
I was using iTunes to try to transfer music CDs. After the first CD, clicking the "sync iPad" button didn't do anything.

About my hiccup problem, I had a computer once with a powerful graphics card but that needed a CPU upgrade. When I tried Crysis, it would hiccup. Fixing the CPU also fixed the hiccups. While not enough GPU performance might also cause hiccups, what I'm saying is, there's a possibility that the higher CPU performance the Nexus 10 apparently has could fix the hiccups I'm experiencing in games, if it's a CPU problem instead of a GPU one. Or if it's a software problem, exchanging for a Nexus 10 could also fix it. I'm getting technical and theoretical here, but after all, it is a hardware forum.

I understand that I might make more money making games for iOS than Android, but I'm more concerned right now with getting there. Making a game for Android will cost me $300 and making one for iOS will cost me $1000.

Right now, as for the way this discussion is going, I'd prefer to get back to talking about whether or not I should exchange for a Nexus 10, about the hardware and features of the two.
First off I would get a used Mini if spending money is an issue. I think even the new ones have hit the refurb store.

Secondly, to sync to iTunes, you need to tell it what you are syncing. It doesnt sync everything automactically..granted you can set it for that however.

If its a game you are looking to make, I cant imagine making it for Android is going to make you more money in any way you look at it.

15" rMBP  iPhone 6+ 128GB  2TB Time Capsule
Spineshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaK View Post
^This. Also not charging for your app doesn't = not making money. They're called adds guys.
Also, most people support the dev community. xda developers forum has a little button where you can donate to a developer. One guy got the people reading his thread to buy him an Asus Transformer Infinity so he could develop a new kernel for overclocking the Tegra 3 CPU and GPU.
cmdrdredd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
senttoschool
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatos100 View Post
I'm thinking about returning my newly purchased iPad 4 16GB. I am new to tablets. Here are the reasons why I want to return it for a Nexus 10:

1. I am a developer. It will cost me $700 more to develop a game for iPad than it will for an Android like the Nexus 10. Apple charges about $100/year for their developer program and I need at least a Mac Mini which costs $600 to develop for the iPad. I should have been thinking about this before I bought this and I kind of was, but it wasn't until later that the realization of a dollar hit me - I am trying to cut my developer budget.
Sounds like you're not that serious about developing at all. $700 is cheap. It's your time that's expensive. And besides, it's not like you're throwing away $600 for a Mini. You actually get the physical hardware which you can sell later on if you don't use it anymore.
senttoschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #20
Lyfer
Diamond Member

I would return it and get the Surface. Windows 8 is where it's at.

KNOW what I'm saying cuz?