Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
biostud
Lifer
 
biostud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Aarhus, Denmark
Posts: 12,931
Default

I've just ordered a 920, as my first smart phone.
Reasons:

-I like how it looks and feel.
-I'm not a heavy app user since I havn't had one before, and you can download nokia's maps to the phone, and use the GPS offline (US maps ~1.8Gb), very good for traveling.
-Camera, video and microphone
-not apple
-Integration with win 8
-I think WP8 looks and feel nicer than android and iOS.

Lot of subjective reasons, but that was my reasons
__________________
i5-750 @ 3.8Ghz | 4x2Gb | Gigabyte P55m-UD4 | Samsung EVO 500GB | 3TB HDD | Corsair AX860 | XFX 7990 | Corsair 550D | Achieva Shimian 2560x1440
Lappy: HP ProBook 6360B | i5-2410M | 256GB Crucial M4 | 4GB |
Sound: Cambridge Audio DacMagic | NAD-T750 | Dali Mentor Menuet | B&W ASW608
Camera: Nikon D5100 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 + Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/1.8G | Nissin Di600 | Phone: Lumia 920
biostud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
Nebor
Lifer
 
Nebor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 27,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post
I wouldn't get the lumia 920. It's such a fat phone on an immature OS.
My Lumia 920 keeps pulling my hair and pushing me in the mud. I'd run away, but it's too heavy to run with!
__________________
"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" -Lieutenant-General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart
Nebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #28
amdhunter
Lifer
 
amdhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 21,894
Default

I have both the Lumia and Nexus 4 (and an iPhone 4 with no service.)

The lack of apps on the Lumia is nerve-wracking. Don't believe the hype when people say "well, the important apps are there", they are not. That said, it's incredibly fast on ATT's LTE network. Incredibly fast.

My Nexus 4 is annoying because I could only snag an 8GB on launch day. Other than that, it's a great phone. I love to tinker with my phone so I am putting in a new ROM every other day. I like that. There are a ton of apps, and for the most part, they work fine. I preferred the app experience on my iPhone 4 better, but the fact that iOS's face hasn't changed much since iOS 1 is annoying as hell.

If I were getting a new phone today, it would probably be Nexus 4 > iPhone 5 > Lumia 920.

Of all the phones I've ever owned, the Lumia gets the best comments from people. It's proof that good design trumps thin.
amdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #29
openwheel
Golden Member
 
openwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biostud View Post
I've just ordered a 920, as my first smart phone.
Reasons:

-I like how it looks and feel.
-I'm not a heavy app user since I havn't had one before, and you can download nokia's maps to the phone, and use the GPS offline (US maps ~1.8Gb), very good for traveling.
-Camera, video and microphone
-not apple
-Integration with win 8
-I think WP8 looks and feel nicer than android and iOS.

Lot of subjective reasons, but that was my reasons
Good choice. You may be an early adopter of WM8, but it's a good one to start with. At this point WM8 is sleek and stable, and you are not becoming an iSheep or another Android clone. People will say they have more apps, but trust me if you are even semi-productive in life you would minimize your apps. The bet app on any platform is still, the browser.

Bonus: you have arguably the best camera on a cellphone today: The second most important feature besides the dialer. The best low-light performance bar-none. I believe there is an official software update for the ATT version and significantly improves day time picture quality.

Now you just need a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini Retina (if Apple will make one) and you are all set.

Last edited by openwheel; 01-07-2013 at 09:27 AM.
openwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
biostud
Lifer
 
biostud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Aarhus, Denmark
Posts: 12,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheel View Post
Good choice. You may be an early adopter of WM8, but it's a good one to start with. At this point WM8 is sleek and stable, and you are not becoming an iSheep or another Android clone. People will say they have more apps, but trust me if you are even semi-productive in life you would minimize your apps. The bet app on any platform is still, the browser.

Bonus: you have arguably the best camera on a cellphone today: The second most important feature besides the dialer. The best low-light performance bar-none. I believe there is an official software update for the ATT version and significantly improves day time picture quality.

Now you just need a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini Retina (if Apple will make one) and you are all set.
I have all my work on SkyDrive, and I tried editing a word document in the store, so that seemed to work as it should. I've read about the patch, but the release in Europe should be around february along with a major WP8 update, or so the rumors say.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smart...tures-detailed
__________________
i5-750 @ 3.8Ghz | 4x2Gb | Gigabyte P55m-UD4 | Samsung EVO 500GB | 3TB HDD | Corsair AX860 | XFX 7990 | Corsair 550D | Achieva Shimian 2560x1440
Lappy: HP ProBook 6360B | i5-2410M | 256GB Crucial M4 | 4GB |
Sound: Cambridge Audio DacMagic | NAD-T750 | Dali Mentor Menuet | B&W ASW608
Camera: Nikon D5100 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 + Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/1.8G | Nissin Di600 | Phone: Lumia 920

Last edited by biostud; 01-07-2013 at 10:18 AM.
biostud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #31
Jeff7181
Lifer
 
Jeff7181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 18,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdhunter View Post
The lack of apps on the Lumia is nerve-wracking. Don't believe the hype when people say "well, the important apps are there", they are not.
What are some examples of apps missing from the Lumia?
__________________
"The Universe is huge and old and rare things happen all the time, including life." - Lawrence Krauss
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Jeff7181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #32
Skel
Diamond Member
 
Skel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff7181 View Post
What are some examples of apps missing from the Lumia?
There are lists here and there of apps that WP just doesn't have and in some cases (Google services) there doesn't seem to be any indication that they'll ever show up. Personally I've found that it's a very subjective thing as people don't use computers/tablets/phones the same way so what's missing for one person isn't an issue for another. Case in point, I remember seeing something about an ESPN app missing for WP (could be there now). I can't ever see myself using it that much, so I wouldn't care if it ever showed up. The user that posted it before obviously cared a lot.
__________________
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=766

Xbox tag: Skel Re
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #33
gorcorps
aka Brandon
 
gorcorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Bend
Posts: 25,391
Default

One X+, but NOT the original One X. It's a good phone that helped it's storage problems of the normal One X by increasing storage to 32gigs and increasing battery size a tad. That's enough for me (not everybody) so I'd go with that. I could go with a Nexus 4 if it had a 32gig option but I don't believe it does so I personally wouldn't even consider it.
__________________
-So sayeth Brandon, knower of things
360: GORcorps|||PS3: gorcorps|||Steam: gorcorps
HEATWARE
gorcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #34
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 15,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivic View Post
the only android phone I would consider is the nexus line - I can't stand skinned android...
All Android is skinned unless your rom boots to a command prompt.
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #35
Red Storm
Lifer
 
Red Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 11,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
All Android is skinned unless your rom boots to a command prompt.


The one and only phone I would tolerate manufacturer customizations on is the Note 2.
__________________
Heatware
Red Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #36
dagamer34
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skel View Post
There are lists here and there of apps that WP just doesn't have and in some cases (Google services) there doesn't seem to be any indication that they'll ever show up. Personally I've found that it's a very subjective thing as people don't use computers/tablets/phones the same way so what's missing for one person isn't an issue for another. Case in point, I remember seeing something about an ESPN app missing for WP (could be there now). I can't ever see myself using it that much, so I wouldn't care if it ever showed up. The user that posted it before obviously cared a lot.
There's been an ESPN app for Windows Phone for months, heck almost a year.

As for Google services, you aren't picking a device anymore, you're picking an ecosystem. Google's obvious "screw you" to Microsoft ecosystem users should tell you that they are willing to use you as a pawn to further their goals. I dumped Gmail after the Google Maps re-direct fiasco.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #37
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
All Android is skinned unless your rom boots to a command prompt.
I guess you got me on a technicality.... bonus points for you....
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #38
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 15,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivic View Post
I guess you got me on a technicality.... bonus points for you....
Its not a technicality. JB is skinned, ICS is skinned, TW roms are skinned... the fact that you think the icons in one look prettier or that the menu looks nicer doesnt change that.
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #39
Red Storm
Lifer
 
Red Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 11,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
Its not a technicality. JB is skinned, ICS is skinned, TW roms are skinned... the fact that you think the icons in one look prettier or that the menu looks nicer doesnt change that.
Eh, you should have left it as a joke.

You know what he means, I know what he means, everyone here knows what he means.
__________________
Heatware
Red Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #40
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 15,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
Eh, you should have left it as a joke.

You know what he means, I know what he means, everyone here knows what he means.
Go on then, what did he mean?
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #41
Red Storm
Lifer
 
Red Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 11,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
Go on then, what did he mean?
Non-stock Android.
__________________
Heatware
Red Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #42
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 15,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
Non-stock Android.
So you're saying he likes the stock skin?
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.

Last edited by WelshBloke; 01-07-2013 at 04:30 PM.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #43
DLeRium
Lifer
 
DLeRium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 19,349
Default

so basically you're insistent on calling everything a skin because unskinned OS should be a command prompt?

you know what people mean when they mean unskinned. it means AOSP Android. skinned refers to touchwiz, sense, etc.
DLeRium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #44
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 15,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
so basically you're insistent on calling everything a skin because unskinned OS should be a command prompt?

you know what people mean when they mean unskinned. it means AOSP Android. skinned refers to touchwiz, sense, etc.
What's holo then?
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #45
lothar
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 6,467
Default

No option for the LG Optimus G?
That should be available on AT&T subsidized contract plans.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
If you make it to age 30 and have never been arrested you're either still living in your parents basement, part of the 1% or, both.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #46
s44
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff7181 View Post
What are some examples of apps missing from the Lumia?
Instagram
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #47
MrX8503
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
What's holo then?
Native to android
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #48
Zstream
Platinum Member
 
Zstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Instagram
Coming from Iphone 3gs/4 and motorola Atrix user:

Iphone 3gs/4 - It's an ok phone, the call quality sucks as I'm on conference calls all day long and admit that the phone does a terrible job of being a "phone". When it comes to the ecosystem, it's one of the best. Everything is just there, very little in terms of customization or settings that you have to set to get this to work.

Internet websites appear to be tailored to the iOS vs. Android or WM7/8. This can lead to a better experience.

Android Atrix - Pretty good phone, speaker phone is terrible, phone is pretty bad as well unless in perfect conditions. Web browsing is great as it had flash. It did always crash in Youtube which is a known common problem and pretty frustrating. I did like making some widgets here and there but it all drained the battery.

Lumia 900 - Good phone, build is great, speaker and phone are very good. The battery life is just "ok" and nothing special. Nokia Drive, Maps is one of the best GPS software applications on any device. I just got tired of downloading so many apps and today I just use Facebook, ActiveSync, Lync, Engadget, youtube, ESPN, Fox News, CNN, Skype, Flashlight-X, Fandango, Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps, Football '12, SoundHound (needs updating, app is poor).
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #49
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
Its not a technicality. JB is skinned, ICS is skinned, TW roms are skinned... the fact that you think the icons in one look prettier or that the menu looks nicer doesnt change that.
I think you, I, and everyone in this thread knew the point I was making. I want an android experience that is not skinned by a third party. I want android as google puts it out, not with touchwiz, motoblur, or sense.
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #50
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 15,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivic View Post
I think you, I, and everyone in this thread knew the point I was making. I want an android experience that is not skinned by a third party. I want android as google puts it out, not with touchwiz, motoblur, or sense.
The point I was making is the skin is a really superficial thing to get hung up on.

Why do you just want the skin that Google releases? What if the next Google skin is Hello Kitty?

Argue against the bloat or the launcher or the longer time for updates but the skin just seems like a trivial thing.
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.