· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #26
f1sherman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrax2 View Post
Nvidia shield seems like a hybrid between WiiU and OUYA. Anyway what is shield's market? It's pretty big for a portable handheld gaming device but If your going to attach a keyboard and mouse on it as a mobile pc your probably better off using a smartphone with USB OTG
Yeah I'm going to dish $300 so I can walk with keyboard and mouse hanging around my neck
Keywords: mobile, casual

Anyone thinks Nvidia would dare to set PC requirement to "GeForce GTX 650 GPU or above". Literaly that is.

f1sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #27
Arkaign
Lifer

This news is really strange. Hopefully it works out though, even if it doesn't become huge.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #28
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
Anyway what is shield's market?
Bridge device, in theory it sounds like it will be an excellent one. Android users who want to be able to utilize the power of their PC, have portability of their Android device along with being able to output it to different media formats(the TV). Obviously we will have to wait to see how well it works in practice, but there is certainly potential for this to be rather huge.
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #29
zebrax2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
Bridge device, in theory it sounds like it will be an excellent one. Android users who want to be able to utilize the power of their PC, have portability of their Android device along with being able to output it to different media formats(the TV). Obviously we will have to wait to see how well it works in practice, but there is certainly potential for this to be rather huge.
I actually thought the streaming part was just so that you could output your games to a monitor but it seems like i was mistaken. Nvidia shield now actually makes more sense since you could stream games from your PC to this. Its basically a WiiU except that its PC based and the controller could actually play games by itself.

Last edited by zebrax2; 01-07-2013 at 05:55 AM.
zebrax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #30
NTMBK
Diamond Member

That thing's pretty terrible. Look at the size of it.

This is just JHH sticking two fingers up at the console makers for shutting him out of this generation.
NTMBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #31
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm looking, I'm not seeing what you are talking about?

Too small?

Too big?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #32
NTMBK
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm looking, I'm not seeing what you are talking about?

Too small?

Too big?
Too big. It is seriously chunky. There's a reason that that poorly lit shot is the only one which shows its Z height. Bulkier than the original XBox controller, but without the comfort from the looks of it.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #33
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
Too big. It is seriously chunky.
5" screen appears to pretty much cover the whole device. Looks smaller then the 3DS XL I have sitting here in comparison.

Quote:
Bulkier than the original XBox controller, but without the comfort from the looks of it.
Lol, no, just no-

http://4**************.com/-hrTCodDPql...he+Duke+02.jpg
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #34
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman928 View Post
Yeah, this definitely puts a huge dent in Ouya's plan. Who knows though, we'll have to see who can have the faster roll out / execution. Tegra 4 is still Big.little, 4 a15 cores, 72 gpu (cuda?) cores, 4G LTE (looks like a two chip solution). Demoed to be twice as fast as Nexus 10 at loading web pages, however, they may have cheated, they used chrome on tegra and 'browser' on Nexus 10. 'Soft modem' presentation. Tegra4 may sacrifice any sense of low power (outside of Big.little) for absolute performance.

My personal highlights.
Other way round. Chrome on Nexus 10, browser on tegra 4 tablet.

Browser is still considered faster than chrome.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #35
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
Browser is still considered faster than chrome.
What are you calling 'browser' on the Nexus 10? The Chrome that comes installed as the default browser, or some version of Opera or something else?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #36
NTMBK
Diamond Member

Quote:
5" screen appears to pretty much cover the whole device. Looks smaller then the 3DS XL I have sitting here in comparison.

Lol, no, just no-

http://4**************.com/-hrTCodDPql...he+Duke+02.jpg
I had and used two of the original XBox controllers, I know how big they are, thanks.

5" screen with a generous bezel. Sure, the X-Y dimensions aren't too bad, although still chunky. It's that Z that's the issue.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #37
Gorthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
Too big. It is seriously chunky. There's a reason that that poorly lit shot is the only one which shows its Z height. Bulkier than the original XBox controller, but without the comfort from the looks of it.
Not quite, take a look at the Ars article, unless JHH is a giant it's pretty damn small. I can't be bothered posting the pic as well, as I'm currently on a very limited internet connection.
So you're just going to have to click it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...roject-shield/

Relevant snippet from the article
"The Shield, which appeared to be about the size of an Xbox 360 controller, is a Tegra 4-powered clamshell portable that its creators are calling a "pure Android experience." That means it can be used for productivity and entertainment apps like a regular Android phone or tablet, but also used to play games using a "console class controller" that's uncovered when the screen is flipped up."

Personally I'm hugely interested in the play PC games over the network part of it, not really much else. Hell, I'd be happy if that was all it did. Latency has yet to be verified though, so the cynic in me isn't that keen.

EDIT: Told you I was on a slow connection I see you're talking mostly about the Z height. To me the controller portion of it doesn't look that bad, as it looks like you only use the bottom half of the device. The weight of that screen is probably a bigger issue IMO, not sure how comfortable it would be to hold it with the screen's weight on the end.

Last edited by Gorthan; 01-07-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: I'm slow
Gorthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #38
Dribble

Not convinced by shield.

imo the whole mobile gaming market is revolutionising quick- out go custom devices and in come the smart phones and tablets. In particular the nexus 7 is stealing it. It costs same as 3DS/vita, it's more powerful, bigger screen, much much more then just a games console and importantly has lots of good games for it that are mostly free or incredibly cheap. That's what parents in the know bought their kids for xmas, and word of mouth will mean they'll all have one, or whatever google bring out next soon.

Within that market a custom device that makes touch screen hard to use and really only works with controller well isn't going to take off easily. Other then that it's just tech available elsewhere:
- the streaming to tv's from your pc is a geforce thing - 6 series cards have the fast video compression stuff to do this well. Nothing to do with shield really, that's just a handheld controller then.
- streaming from tablet to tv will also become available elsewhere, e.g. if the nexus 7 v2 has a tegra 4 in it I bet that will be able to do it.
Dribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #39
blackened23
Diamond Member

This will be a tough sell for sure. Handheld gaming systems such as the vita (which is excellent, btw) are already struggling due to smartphones and tablets - many casual gamers are simply using their existing mobile devices.

The streaming is a nice idea, but eh. It's still based on the power of your home computer so it won't magically give everyone GTX 680 caliber gaming -- in fact, for 99% of users far from it. Not sure if this will catch on. I'm really surprised by this news TBH, seems like a middle finger to the makers of OUYA. That one is using tegra 3 isn't it?
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #40
Qbah
Diamond Member

I love the idea ! Skyrim before hitting the sack... Or any other game streamed to a controller with a screen? EPIC!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #41
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
I had and used two of the original XBox controllers, I know how big they are, thanks.
I still have one here, and based on your comments I have a *very* hard time believing you do know how big they are. I guess we will get confirmation once people get their hands on it, I'm going to go out and say the Z looks to be smaller then the current DS3 or 360 controller by a bit.

Quote:
imo the whole mobile gaming market is revolutionising quick- out go custom devices and in come the smart phones and tablets. In particular the nexus 7 is stealing it. It costs same as 3DS/vita, it's more powerful, bigger screen, much much more then just a games console and importantly has lots of good games for it that are mostly free or incredibly cheap.
This plays every single game the Nexus 7 does, it is a pure Android device just like the Nexus 7, only with more powerful hardware. In fact, for those of us that already own a ton of Nexus 7 games, we can use them freely on this from day one.

Quote:
Nothing to do with shield really, that's just a handheld controller then.
- streaming from tablet to tv will also become available elsewhere, e.g. if the nexus 7 v2 has a tegra 4 in it I bet that will be able to do it.
Still won't give you a controller. Touch games can still work on this device as it has a full touchscreen, games that really benefit from a controller struggle on the Nexus 7. I'm not knocking the N7, we have a few of them in house and they are great, this certainly does things that the N7 can't and some things better then the N7(while being less portable IMO).

Quote:
I'm really surprised by this news TBH, seems like a middle finger to the makers of OUYA. That one is using tegra 3 isn't it?
Yes, Ouya is Tegra 3 but JHH already noted that Ouya will allow you to connect to it using Shield so you can cut the wire to the TV. Seems like they included Ouya in their ideal stream with this.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #42
NTMBK
Diamond Member

Quote:
I still have one here, and based on your comments I have a *very* hard time believing you do know how big they are.
Trust me, I know. I played through the entirety of Halo 1&2 using the Duke, and sank lots of hours into Burnout 3 with it.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #43
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
Trust me, I know. I played through the entirety of Halo 1&2 using the Duke, and sank lots of hours into Burnout 3 with it.
Duke with a Nexus *7*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6A_9jZWHLE

Nexus 7 compared to a 5.3" screen-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvD4xQ0ANyU

Shield is comparatively *tiny* compared to Duke
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #44
crisium

It's like a chubby DS (with one screen that is).

So you get Android on the go, but you can also get PC games as long as you are within your wireless router. So part tablet gaming, part Steam version of WiiU.

But Android gaming doesn't really excite me. And I have a gaming laptop that I can throw on my stomach for ultra lazy bed gaming at home anyway. It's not the product for me, but I'd love to check one out sometime.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #45
tviceman
Diamond Member

I see parents buying a shield for their kids so the kids will stop using mom & dad's phones to play games. It works well since the games are either free or dirt cheap and can be played on any existing android device.

Overall I was disappointed in the lack of tegra4 benchmarks beyond the nexus 10 comparison. I wanted more info about tegra4's gpu performance but we got virtually nothing on that. Also the dead trigger 2 demo ran very choppy. AND, anand confirmed that the shaders aren't unified - it's still pre G80 tech. To top it off, JHH seemed apathetic to me and not his usual charismatic self.

Last edited by tviceman; 01-07-2013 at 08:46 AM.
tviceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #46
Nemesis 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1sherman View Post
@sontin

In other words, yesterday you weren't even aware of SHIELD, and next quarter you can buy one.

Now compare that with development of ANY console in the history.
Not to mention this one has the capacity of being disruptive
Whats the price tag . It won't be like consols in that respect. This looks like something my grandkids would enjoy
Nemesis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #47
sontin
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tviceman View Post
Overall I was disappointed in the lack of tegra4 benchmarks beyond the nexus 10 comparison. I wanted more info about tegra4's gpu performance but we got virtually nothing on that. Also the dead trigger 2 demo ran very choppy. AND, anand confirmed that the shaders aren't unified - it's still pre G80 tech. To top it off, JHH seemed apathetic to me and not his usual charismatic self.
I have the same feeling. It was a very weird presentation of Tegra 4.
Look at Tegra 3: There were 3 videos, whitepapers about the tech and Asus as a launchpartner. Even the performance claims where back up with facts.

Right now their is really nothing. Maybe nVidia is pissed about the leak from the chinese guys.

I saw that Vizio is showing a Tegra 4 tablet at CES: http://news.softpedia.com/news/CES-2...medium=twitter

But in the end it was a disappointment from a technical standpoint.
sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #48
Ibra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman928 View Post
Nvidia shield looks . . . interesting. Personally, I would never use such a device. I think it would have rocked maybe 3 -5 years ago, but now, I don't know. It just looks very awkward and goes completely against the latest trend of slim and sleek. Who knows though, I'm not really a mobile gamer. Any thoughts?
Put AMD logo on it and you are sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post

This is just JHH sticking two fingers up at the console makers for shutting him out of this generation.
According, Manuel Guzman (geforce.com admin) this is not final design. So, maybe they will make it more comfortable for your mongoloid fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post
But in the end it was a disappointment from a technical standpoint.
But you are excited about slower AMD parts. (comparing with Intel)

Last edited by Ibra; 01-07-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Ibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #49
sontin
Platinum Member

Na, i don't really care about performance or unified shader. I want technical information. For example: Whats the difference between PRISM 1 and PRISM 2? Is there a difference between the first and second generation of the power saving core? Facts about the gpu performance over Tegra 3...

Quote:
Through its second-generation battery saver core and PRISM 2 Display technology, Tegra 4 provides hours of gameplay on a single charge.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...project-shield

Right now, i know that Tegra 4 has 5 A15, 72Cores for the GPU...
sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #50
moonbogg
Diamond Member

This product can't be targeting PC gamers like me, because I feel zero attraction to this thing.