· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #51
zerocool84
Lifer

If XBL gave out free games and discounts like PS+ then it'd be awesome but they know they don't have to.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #52
RagingBITCH
Lifer

This whole thread is hilarious. "Come at me bro!" Seriously? Internet trolls are now calling out people to come fight them, physically, but on a gaming platform? What the fuck have we resorted to? Get a god damn life.
RagingBITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #53
QueBert
Lifer

I bought a used game last night only to get a "servers have been taken down no online play for you" message. It's not that old of a game and I didn't even think the online play wouldn't work. I know EA's to blame here, but it sucks that XBL doesn't provide servers for all games so sh*t like this doesn't happen. Makes me wonder how many games fall into this category. Now before I buy a used game I gotta check if it's still on-line playable.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #54
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueBert View Post
I bought a used game last night only to get a "servers have been taken down no online play for you" message. It's not that old of a game and I didn't even think the online play wouldn't work. I know EA's to blame here, but it sucks that XBL doesn't provide servers for all games so sh*t like this doesn't happen. Makes me wonder how many games fall into this category. Now before I buy a used game I gotta check if it's still on-line playable.
that has nothing to do with sony or ms. same games won't work on ps3 too.

this has been happening since ps2 days.
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #55
QueBert
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
that has nothing to do with sony or ms. same games won't work on ps3 too.

this has been happening since ps2 days.
But Microsoft could provide servers so games will continue to work, I know it's more complex than just having random servers. But if the game servers were tied directly into XBL, then I wouldn't have ran into this problem. I'd think the general consumer who pays for XBL will see a game that says "online multiplayer" will assume that = XBL.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #56
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueBert View Post
But Microsoft could provide servers so games will continue to work, I know it's more complex than just having random servers. But if the game servers were tied directly into XBL, then I wouldn't have ran into this problem. I'd think the general consumer who pays for XBL will see a game that says "online multiplayer" will assume that = XBL.
that could only happen if ea gave them permission to do that. ea handles the servers that run those games. most games don't work that way, most games are simply peer to peer with xbl/psn being the middle man.

you can notice when you play an ea game online as you go to the online portion, it says 'connecting to ea servers'. that part has nothing to do with xbl or psn.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #57
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
Since this is a console forum, I was limiting the comparison between consoles. If you get into Steam, you get into a console vs PC discussion there, and that's a whole new can of worms.
In the context of the next generation, why would we not include the Steam Box? Are you expecting Valve to reduce features for the Steam Box console?
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #58
A Casual Fitz
Platinum Member

Quote:
phew, good thing i can make my own decisions for myself and don't need a big corporation to tell me how to think and what i should like.

if people had a problem with xbox live they simply would not pay for it. since people do pay for it, they obviously can afford it and don't have a problem playing with it.

didn't read the whole article, but i'd guess they did not mention that online play on ps3 is a shitty experience compared to 360 for the most part.
I agree with the first part of this and disagree with the 2nd. After I got my PS3 in 2011 I chose not to re-subscribe to Xbox Live because I did Netflix, etc with the PS3. Once I noticed all of the bonus options for PS+ it was an easy decision. I also have no problem with online play on PS3.

EDIT

I removed my mention of Steam from my logic.

Last edited by A Casual Fitz; 01-05-2013 at 08:37 PM.
A Casual Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #59
BoberFett
Lifer

XBL is a great service. Complain about the cost if you want, but you can't deny the work they've put into it.

I barely use the PS3. You can't even have two accounts logged in at once. What kind of bush league crap is that?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #60
power_hour

Quote:
also if you are paying $60/yr or $10/mo for xbl you are a god damn moron.
That's pretty harsh. Lots of people seem to enjoy themselves on Xbox Live. Why the hate?
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #61
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_hour View Post
That's pretty harsh. Lots of people seem to enjoy themselves on Xbox Live. Why the hate?
not hating at all xbl is far superior to psn.

but if you pay $60 for a year of xbl you deserve it because if you take 5 minutes extra it's easy to find for $40/yr or less. but if 5 mins is more valuable than $20 then more power to you!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #62
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
not hating at all xbl is far superior to psn.

but if you pay $60 for a year of xbl you deserve it because if you take 5 minutes extra it's easy to find for $40/yr or less. but if 5 mins is more valuable than $20 then more power to you!
It's not on sale all the time that's the problem so I can see people paying full price for it. You can get it easily for ~$50 but for $40 you have to wait for specials.

Last edited by zerocool84; 01-06-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #63
Fingolfin269
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
It's not on sale all the time that's the problem so I can see people paying full price for it. You can get it easily for ~$50 but for $40 you have to wait for specials.
Wait for what? A week? I see deals for $35-$40 every few days on slickdeals. Hell $40 has become so standard now that many people don't even consider it a deal. It's just the standard price.

Last edited by Fingolfin269; 01-06-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Fingolfin269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #64
zerogear
Diamond Member

PlayStation Plus is definitely worth $50 a year, considering the discounts and the free games. Plus if you have PS+, you also can get their Music Unlimited streaming service for $12 a year, which is a steal.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #65
SaDiZTiKStyLeZ
Lifer

They both fucking suck shit compared to Steam.

Got 4 A+ titles for $7 on Steam. Assassin's Creed & Call of Juarez (I don't remember the other 2) but that's less than $2 for each game. Where's those kinds of deals on PSN or XBL?
They both just need awesome Steam-like sales. Console gamers really got shit on this generation compared to PC gamers, when it comes to game resale, pricing & digital content.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #66
Fingolfin269
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaDiZTiKStyLeZ View Post
Awesome. How do I sign up for that on my console?
Fingolfin269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #67
chimaxi83
Diamond Member

Quote:

Got 4 A+ titles for $7 on Steam. Assassin's Creed & Call of Juarez (I don't remember the other 2) but that's less than $2 for each game. Where's those kinds of deals on PSN or XBL?
They both just need awesome Steam-like sales. Console gamers really got shit on this generation compared to PC gamers, when it comes to game resale, pricing & digital content.
Right... A+ titles, but can't remember their names lol. Anyway, please tell me more about how you can get cheap games from 2007
Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #68
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:

I'm a PC gamer just as much as I'm a console gamer and it'll never be the same. PC game market is infinitely smaller than console market so of course you can get games cheaper than for consoles. Plus sometimes I'll buy a game for consoles even if it's more expensive just so I can play with friends or relax on the couch.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #69
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin269 View Post
Awesome. How do I sign up for that on my console?
Put Portal 2 in your Playstation 3.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #70
arredondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBITCH View Post
This whole thread is hilarious. "Come at me bro!" Seriously? Internet trolls are now calling out people to come fight them, physically, but on a gaming platform? What the fuck have we resorted to? Get a god damn life.
Boy genius, that was no more of request for a physical fight than your forum name is a reflection of who you are. Read a few posts after that if you need an explanation of what was meant with that statement. It was a debate invitation and nothing more.
~
Sony 60" 3D Bravia NX-720 ''' Yamaha RX-V667 receiver ''' Velodyne Front Row speakers x5 ''' BIC H-100 sub
arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #71
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:

think i played both those games when they were new back on my snes.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #72
coldmeat
Diamond Member

nvm

coldmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #73
SaDiZTiKStyLeZ
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaxi83 View Post
Right... A+ titles, but can't remember their names lol. Anyway, please tell me more about how you can get cheap games from 2007
This was some random sale 2 years ago. Out of 150+ games in my Steam backlog that I haven't played, I just can't remember them all.
Even today, are these games found for that low of a price via digital download on consoles?
It hasn't been entirely uncommon for a game that was less than 6-12mo old to get a price drop to less than $10 or $20 during some of the sales. Both top top titles & indie. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough to take notice, "Damn. Didn't that game just come out?"

Last edited by SaDiZTiKStyLeZ; 01-06-2013 at 10:34 PM.
SaDiZTiKStyLeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #74
SaDiZTiKStyLeZ
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
I'm a PC gamer just as much as I'm a console gamer and it'll never be the same. PC game market is infinitely smaller than console market so of course you can get games cheaper than for consoles. Plus sometimes I'll buy a game for consoles even if it's more expensive just so I can play with friends or relax on the couch.
I don't know about that. Last I checked, Steam had 1800+ titles available in their store. I'm not seeing any numbers for PSN or XBL to compare this.

Last edited by SaDiZTiKStyLeZ; 01-06-2013 at 10:39 PM.
SaDiZTiKStyLeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #75
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
I don't know about that. Last I checked, Steam had 1800+ titles available in their store. I'm not seeing any numbers for PSN or XBL to compare this.
Amount of games doesn't mean more people play them. PC gaming just isn't accessible like console gaming is. Hardly anyone I've met has had a "gaming PC" but they sure do have either a PS3 or an Xbox.