· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Hitman928

Default Nvidia's CES presentation is tonight . . . 8pm PST

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/...t-from-nvidia/
Hitman928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Hitman928

Nvidia shield looks . . . interesting. Personally, I would never use such a device. I think it would have rocked maybe 3 -5 years ago, but now, I don't know. It just looks very awkward and goes completely against the latest trend of slim and sleek. Who knows though, I'm not really a mobile gamer. Any thoughts?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
sontin
Platinum Member

Áctually it's a mobile PC - full android.

I think it looks awesome.
sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Homeles
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman928 View Post
Nvidia shield looks . . . interesting. Personally, I would never use such a device. I think it would have rocked maybe 3 -5 years ago, but now, I don't know. It just looks very awkward and goes completely against the latest trend of slim and sleek. Who knows though, I'm not really a mobile gamer. Any thoughts?
It's a green turd.

I dunno. I don't see a place for it. The demand for tablets makes this pointless, IMO. I could bring wrong though... the tablets are not my forte.

And as big of a proponent I am of radical change, I just don't understand how cloud gaming is a good idea.

I wish Nvidia didn't doctor their die shots so much. AMD isn't much better in this regard (Barcelona die shot being used to depict HD 6900, lol), although they did release die shots for all of their HD 7700+ chips. Anand said in the live blog that he likes how "pretty" Nvidia's always look. I like die shots that are... you know... actual die shots.

Last edited by Homeles; 01-06-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Homeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Hitman928

I wouldn't quite call it a mobile PC when it runs android with essentially a tablet setup. However, they just revealed streaming through the device from the PC to the TV, that's cool, even though it's not working live, lol. If it works quickly enough with minimal to no input lag, I would use that.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
Homeles
Platinum Member

It's cool from a tech standpoint... but I just don't see it being picked up by consumers in any meaningful amount.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
sontin
Platinum Member

Android is a full PC: You can attach key board and mouse. No difference than Windows.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Hitman928

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post
Android is a full PC: You can attach key board and mouse. No difference than Windows.
I guess your and I's definition of a mobile PC differ then.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
badb0y
Diamond Member

Cool concept but don't think it will take off. It looks like they want to make portable gaming console type thing here and we already know that this generation of portable consoles aren't doing that great because if smartphones/tablets.
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
badb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
Hitman928

JHH said that the [input] latency is essentially zero when streaming, but there was some serious input lag when the other guy was playing the demo's, I could almost verbally count the delay. Granted, it may very well work better on a high speed home network as we have no idea how their network is setup, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
Homeles
Platinum Member

Pretty underwhelming show IMO. But that's largely because nothing piqued my interest outside of the Tegra 4.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
KingFatty
Platinum Member

Didn't you guys hear about the whole phenomenon on Kickstarter called "OUYA"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

Nvidia just stole Ouya's lunch money, then flushed its head in the toilet and gave it a wedgie. I think Ouya was a signal to Nvidia, taking the risk of determining if there was a market for such a product and using an Nvidia chip to power the Ouya. There was a huge demand. So, Nvidia just did it way better themselves.
KingFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
Uh, lol?
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
Grooveriding
Diamond Member

Maybe it will appeal to young kids who like mobile gaming etc, wasn't too fussy on it. They were using wired ethernet and the streamed output to the TV from the GTX 680 PC was still lagging like a mofo.

At first I was thinking cool because I thought it would remove the hassle it is now for me to play a game on my TV with a controller.

- Activate second screen(hdtv)
- Turn on controller
- Launch game
- Move game to second screen
- Sometimes have to change controller settings at the computer before going to play

This looks like it eliminates some of those but introduces its own issues; most importantly latency/lag, nothing you can do will eliminate the time that it takes to encode the PC output, send it to the controller, then to the screen and then your controller actions back to the PC again. Also having to connect it to the TV with an HDMI cable would be a pain.

The latency can probably be worked out to the point single player games would work, but an addon that plugs into an HDMI port on your TV to receive video/audio signal and makes the device fully wireless would be ideal. If the device was cellular capable it would make it a whole lot more appealing for mobile multiplayer gaming as well.

His presentations are usually really entertaining and well done, this one was sloppy and it seemed like he'd rather be out driving his Ferraris. haha
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
f1sherman
Platinum Member

ANDROID THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED

Don\t like ANDROID? OK forget about it.

SHIELD is creme de la creme among PC controllers out there.
Game streaming and movies on steroids.

@Grooveriding LOL it was a terrible presentation
f1sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
Hitman928

Yeah, this definitely puts a huge dent in Ouya's plan. Who knows though, we'll have to see who can have the faster roll out / execution. Tegra 4 is still Big.little, 4 a15 cores, 72 gpu (cuda?) cores, 4G LTE (looks like a two chip solution). Demoed to be twice as fast as Nexus 10 at loading web pages, however, they may have cheated, they used chrome on tegra and 'browser' on Nexus 10. 'Soft modem' presentation. Tegra4 may sacrifice any sense of low power (outside of Big.little) for absolute performance.

My personal highlights.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #17
sontin
Platinum Member

Quote:
Availability and Final Words

SHIELD is expected to ship in Q2 of 2013. It will first launch in the US and Canada, with a worldwide rollout to follow. Pricing and final specs will be unveiled closer to availability. You can sign up here to be notified for the release.
SHIELD is perhaps NVIDIA’s most ambitious gaming project to date. On the one hand, it’s the most powerful and full-fledged Android gaming portable, on the other, it’s a pocket version of a GeForce GTX PC. What excites you most about SHIELD? Share your thoughts with us below.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...project-shield

Even with their own product their time to market is awful.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #18
f1sherman
Platinum Member

Quote:
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...project-shield

Even with their own product their time to market is awful.
uhmm... what

Time to market

In commerce, time to market (TTM) is the length of time it takes from a product being conceived until its being available for sale.
TTM is important in industries where products are outmoded quickly.

A common assumption is that TTM matters most for first-of-a-kind products, but actually the leader often has the luxury of time, while the clock is clearly running for the followers
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
The latency can probably be worked out to the point single player games would work, but an addon that plugs into an HDMI port on your TV to receive video/audio signal and makes the device fully wireless would be ideal.
It's called the Ouya, nVidia already made note of it. Smart pairing choice for them IMO.

Quote:
Cool concept but don't think it will take off. It looks like they want to make portable gaming console type thing here and we already know that this generation of portable consoles aren't doing that great because if smartphones/tablets.
The difference with this is that it leverages the smartphone/tablet market for a handheld. Not saying if it will or won't end up being a success, but they are certainly taking an interesting approach. Also, the 3DS is at 27 million units sold, not exactly doing terrible even if its' launch was atrocious.

Quote:
Demoed to be twice as fast as Nexus 10 at loading web pages, however, they may have cheated, they used chrome on tegra and 'browser' on Nexus 10.
The Nexus 10 browser is Chrome, on Android the default browser for 4.0 and higher is Chrome, but they have a seperate Chrome browser you can download that has some different functionality. It is possible there is some performance differences depending on the device, but honestly I haven't seen any. If you head over to the mobile forums the default 'browser' for new Android devices is simply called 'Chrome'.
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #20
f1sherman
Platinum Member

@sontin

In other words, yesterday you weren't even aware of SHIELD, and next quarter you can buy one.

Now compare that with development of ANY console in the history.
Not to mention this one has the capacity of being disruptive
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #21
sontin
Platinum Member

Q2 is everything from april to end of june. And that is only for US and Canada.
The rest of the world is getting Shield earliest in 6 months.

And there were no announcements of products with Tegra 4. Okay, smartphones have their show in 6 weeks but no tablets? I guess no company had access to Tegra 4 until now.

Last edited by sontin; 01-07-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #22
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
And there were no announcements of products with Tegra 4.
The tablet manufacturers are all there, I don't think they would be too happy if nVidia announced one of their products for them.

BTW- MWC is in February, not six months
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #23
sontin
Platinum Member

Months, weeks. Everything is the same.

Do you really think Asus has a problem to showcase their Tegra 4 tablet? They did it at computex with the 7" Memo.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #24
sontin
Platinum Member

Ah, Anand is digging for more information, that the interested part:
Quote:
- NEW: die size is around 80mm^2, slightly bigger than Tegra 3 but on a much higher density process
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6550/m...category-3-lte

With ~80mm^2 they have a real winner. A6X is 50% bigger.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #25
zebrax2

Nvidia shield seems like a hybrid between WiiU and OUYA. Anyway what is shield's market? It's pretty big for a portable handheld gaming device but If your going to attach a keyboard and mouse on it as a mobile pc your probably better off using a smartphone with USB OTG

As for Tegra 4 anyone knows how it compare with APQ8064 in terms of die size?

Last edited by zebrax2; 01-07-2013 at 01:59 AM.
zebrax2 is offline   Reply With Quote