· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Comdrpopnfresh
Golden Member

Default Strangest computer issue I have experienced

I had win8rp x64 installed for months, and the computer just began freezing around the 31st of Dec. Then, it would not boot to windows. Then it could not run the automatic repair. Then it could not refresh, reset, restore, nor reinstall.
I removed my handed-down performance ram, reset BIOS settings to default, and am currently attempting to install win8x64 RTM (trying either the win8 enterprise trial or a full install keyless, or using my 1 valid unused key on a unaltered image); with no luck. I either get a message that the key cannot be verified, or that files are missing on the disc/image.

I was avoiding trying a fresh install and initially thought it was either software issue or the ssd the system is running off of has gone rotten. With these odd problems legitimately installing windows, I'm just not sure anymore. One of the times I was able to start the PC and load windows without it freezing, I was able to run prime95 for a few rounds to check both the cpu and the ram- it all came back clean. I have updated the firmware on the ssd too. Though, that was odd- it did not want to take the firmware- it took at least a dozen tries to get it updated.
The only thing 'off' which I think may reflect the issue is an odd lagging/pausing symptom: A few of the attempts to load win8 resulted in the win8rp "windows" boot logo with the swirl going around, appear to be frozen for some time, and then incrementally updating very slowly (a few points in the swirl added over minutes like it was going around in super slow-mo). When I had a mostly stable session in windows, I ran defender on a full scan, and the runtime clock would hang every few seconds- same thing with the actual runtime clock in task manager. The time in bios is still correct, so I don't think it is the CMOS battery. System temps are good, and no hardware changes recently.

c2d e7200
asus p5n-d
ocz agility3 ssd
2gb adata ddr2-800 (6gb with 2x2gb of my crucial ballistix)
amd 5450
Comdrpopnfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
denis280
Platinum Member

just experience the same thing on my daughter in law brand new acer aspire.with windows 8 64-bit.worked fine for two days.then wifi started to act up.then all windows when wrong. got fed up and did a fresh install windows 7 64-bit.works like a charm.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Comdrpopnfresh
Golden Member

Default update

I was able to install windows 7 w/o any issue. Then I tried installing windows 8 again (figured maybe doing an update install may resolve the file missing error I was getting). Then win7 had issues booting. Last I checked, it was trying to do start-up repair, and froze when I moved the mouse. I flipped the switch on the power supply in disgust.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdrpopnfresh View Post
I was able to install windows 7 w/o any issue. Then I tried installing windows 8 again (figured maybe doing an update install may resolve the file missing error I was getting). Then win7 had issues booting. Last I checked, it was trying to do start-up repair, and froze when I moved the mouse. I flipped the switch on the power supply in disgust.
The symptoms sound very much like the boot drive is going bad. I had very similar symptoms when the hard drive failed on my old desktop a couple of years ago. That said, I dont know why Win 7 would work properly and not Win 8. Makes it sound like a software issue, but I could not explain why.
frozentundra123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
philipma1957
Golden Member

ocz ssd is the problem more often then not in this type of problem
4)antec ea450 seasonic 760 platinum
5)asus maximus v gene mobo asrock itx-e
6)fractal case cooler master elite 120 case.
philipma1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
ShadowVVL

my friend is having kind of a similar issue with his system its a i7 2600k@stock, win 7 home premium on a intel 320 80 gig.

His issue is windows freezes but he can still move the mouse, then after reboot internet wont connect and mouse or key board stops working.After 3rd or 4th reboot every thing is ok for about 4 or 5 hours then it freezes again and the cycle repeats.

He avast and no viruses, ran memtest and no ram errors, ran crystal disk and intel tool box and both say the drive is fine.

So idk what is up with it only thing that hasn't been tested is the psu, motherboard and gpu.

Last edited by ShadowVVL; 01-06-2013 at 11:48 PM.
ShadowVVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
daveybrat
Diamond Member

Sounds exactly like a dying SSD drive to me as well.

Gaming Rig: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz (CM Hyper 212 EVO)| ASRock Z97 Pro4 | 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 1866 DDR3 | Crucial MX100 256GB SSD | WD 640GB Black | MSI GTX 660 Twin-Frozer III | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair CX750 Watt | Windows 8.1 64-Bit
daveybrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
VirtualLarry
Lifer

I concur with the two other opinions that it sounds like the SSD is dying.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
mlc

does sound like it could be a drive issue.. though I wouldn't rule out a problem with the psu or motherboard... can you swap in another psu to rule that out?
ASUS EAH6850
X-FI Extreme Music Sound Card
Zalman 9700 HSF
mlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
sm625
Diamond Member

Is there no definitive way to diagnose this type of hard drive failure?
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4790k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4790k
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Comdrpopnfresh
Golden Member

Not the SSD- I put it in a backup Pentium-M laptop and installed win8 w/o problem.
Since the bit of testing that was done didn't reflect any issues (windows memory test and prime95), and the freezing seemed sporadic, a new power supply was ordered: Rosewill capstone 450-m. Hopefully this resolves the problem; at least, it'll be efficiently freezing if it doesn't.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
Comdrpopnfresh
Golden Member

Not the power supply either! Lame. I guess it is between the motherboard and the processor at this point. I'll be making a post for advice on a new build - I don't see much point in hanging onto the system, as is, when the problem is between a C2D e7200 and a P5N-D nforce s775 board.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
sm625
Diamond Member

I just had a problem where my bios settings reverted to defaults, and I could not get it to boot into windows no matter what I did. I thought I had all the settings correct, but it still refused to boot. I installed an old backup HDD and it booted just fine (!) but would not boot from my SSD. Well, it turns out I missed one bios setting: The floppy drive A was enabled. I have no floppy drive. Therefore windows hung forever at startup because it was looking for a floppy drive. Talk about stupid....
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4790k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4790k
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cannot install, problem, win8