· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
rednal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseUser View Post
While those speeds aren't great, they are better than your internet Speedtest results, so it doesn't look like your internet is being slowed by your local network. Can you run a Speedtest from your dad's PC since it's closer to the router?
That's quite a difference.
rednal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednal View Post
Huh, I guess it is your local network slowing you down.
Pressure Cooker Grid Power Smart Body scanner Electric ISIS Ammonium nitrate Brown Out
Bridge Organized crime National security State Liberation Security Breach Threat Standoff
SWAT Screening Virus Environmental Terrorist Dock
AnonymouseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
rednal

Quote:
Huh, I guess it is your local network slowing you down.
So I can't fix it?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #29
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Oh yeah, you can. It's just a matter of either fixing the issue with the powerline adapter, or your wireless network. Can you run a LAN and Internet Speedtest from your mother's wireless PC? (be sure to choose a folder on your dad's PC for the LAN test)
Pressure Cooker Grid Power Smart Body scanner Electric ISIS Ammonium nitrate Brown Out
Bridge Organized crime National security State Liberation Security Breach Threat Standoff
Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #30
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Looking at those Speedtest.net results again, the speed from your dad's PC is fine, but the ping is really bad.

His ping is actually worse than yours...

Hmm...

Actually, you're using different servers and they are both pretty far away. Try a closer server.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #31
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Here's my result to the West Plains server that you used:

And here is my result to the closest based on ping (Dallas):

That West Plains server is inaccurate.

EDIT>> Here's a test to the Dexter server. Like your tests, Dexter's ping is worse than West Plains', but throughput is normal.

Last edited by AnonymouseUser; 01-06-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #32
rednal

Quote:
Here's my result to the West Plains server that you used:

And here is my result to the closest based on ping (Dallas):

That West Plains server is inaccurate.

EDIT>> Here's a test to the Dexter server. Like your tests, Dexter's ping is worse than West Plains', but throughput is normal.

So I did the tests on my mom's PC. Here are the results from the closest server to me. And here are the results from your server. My mom's office is also in the basement and I don't know why she's getting such a good connection even with wireless. Would it help to try to move the AT&T router downstairs?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #33
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Those are some odd results. It would seem that all MO servers have something wrong, since even the St Louis result has worse ping than the Dallas result, despite being ~500 miles closer.

Quote:
My mom's office is also in the basement and I don't know why she's getting such a good connection even with wireless. Would it help to try to move the AT&T router downstairs?
Run Speedtest on your PC again, and try the St Louis and/or Dallas server.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #34
rednal

So now I just plugged the AT&T wireless router directly into my PC and I'm now getting around 15mbps and that's fine. I was wondering though what could I do with the other router I linked to?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
So now I just plugged the AT&T wireless router directly into my PC and I'm now getting around 15mbps and that's fine.
Yes, that's fine, but if you can re-run Speedtest from your PC while connected to the Powerline Adapter, we may find that the Powerline connection is good enough to serve your needs. The earlier test is invalid due to server issues.

Quote:
I was wondering though what could I do with the other router I linked to?
I looked at it's capabilities, and it doesn't have the ability to act as a repeater/wireless bridge/access point. If it did, you could have used it in your room, wirelessly connected to the router, and wired to your PC. That setup is often better quality than simply using a wireless adapter (like your mom's) because it's more powerful and gets a stronger signal.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #36
rednal

This is what I'm getting from the Texas server
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #37
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Alright then, your powerline network is good enough for most of your internet needs. Seems like we are done here, though ping may be an issue. Try Pingtest.net and see if it gives more accurate ping results.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #38
Eug
Lifer

HomePNA over telephone lines would work fine. They're called HomePNA phoneline Ethernet bridges. 10 Mbps (HomePNA 2) or 100+ Mbps (HomePNA 3), and low lag, and pretty much invisible to the computer. Your computer just thinks it's on Ethernet, as does your Ethernet switch/router.

Here are some examples:

http://www.sendtek.com/pet_320.htm

http://www.metalligence.com/files/BR-HPNA3200.pdf

I've used the 10 Mbps stuff and it worked great. However, it is hard to find these HomePNA phoneline bridges now, since most of the HomePNA bridges now are coax for some reason.

Powerline is good when it works, but suffers from inconsistency. If there is noise on the line, the connection quality and speed may vary a lot. Anywhere from no connection for brief periods, to near 100 Mbps Ethernet speeds, depending upon how much other noise is on the line.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)

Last edited by Eug; 01-06-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Eug is offline   Reply With Quote