Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Matt1970
Lifer
 
Matt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 10,788
Default Al Gore sells Current TV to Al Jazeera over Beck, tries to avoid higher taxes

One of the biggest proponets of the rich paying higher taxes did everything he could to get his precious sale of Current TV done before the higher tax rate kicked in.

Quote:
A source close to negotiations also told The New York Times that the deal was probably worth around $500 million, meaning a $100 million pay-day for Gore, who was reportedly eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31 in order to avoid higher tax rates that took effect on Jan. 1.

Unfortunately for Gore, the deal wasn’t signed until Wednesday, however.
He's all for the rich paying more untill it has to come out of his wallet. If that doesn't bug ya then why he sold it to who he did might. Al-Jazeera has a long running anti-American image run by the big oil Government of Qatar. An evironmentalist sells his baby to big oil?

Quote:
An executive for TheBlaze confirmed these details on Thursday, noting that the decision not to sell to Beck’s network came only hours after executives reached out to a Current representative to discuss the matter. As reported by the Wall Street Journal, Hyatt said that the decision to go with the Middle Easter outlet came, in part, because, “al-Jazeera was founded with the same goals we had for Current.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/repo...es-current-tv/
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

So you mean liberals like gore who call for higher taxes only want it for others? Why I am not surprised with that pos.

His network was FAR LEFT and it was an utter failure, its a good thing that it failed, we need less of that crap on tv.
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
feralkid
Diamond Member
 
feralkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Live long and bite me.
Posts: 9,420
Default

Al Jazeera.

Al Qaida.

Al Gore.


He's...he's...an Arab.


feralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
ElFenix
Super Moderator
Off Topic
 
ElFenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 93,948
Default

__________________
I killed and ate the Fun Mod with some jellybeans and a little Chianti.

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFenix View Post

Many people care, This is the same guy who wants higher taxes on the rich yet tries to dodger higher taxes, Complete hypocrite

As well this bitches about global warming and he is dealing with an OPEC nation, this is hypocrisy
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Matt1970
Lifer
 
Matt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 10,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFenix View Post
Probably nobody but we have had the same old beat to shit threads here for days.
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 10,758
Default

While you can question his morale. He simply follows the rules. That people wish the rules changed is another thing. But dont expect charity in between.

Its like calling all people who gives to charity for communists or something equally as stupid.
__________________
Anandtech forums=Xtremesystems forums
ShintaiDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
eskimospy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 32,769
Default

Oh good we hadn't heard this hilariously stupid argument in awhile.

If you want to change the tax code so that the rich pay more it doesn't mean that until the tax code is changed that you have to voluntarily pay more.

Similarly, if you think the US should attack Iran it doesn't mean that you need to wage a one man guerrilla war there until the US military arrives.
eskimospy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
jackschmittusa
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,979
Default

Outrage not found.

If a sale date can make a difference to your bottom line, how is it immoral to choose a more profitable date? So he missed the date and will pay the higher taxes. If you hear him bitch and complain, then you have a point. Otherwise, you are just blowing smoke.

Selling to a network that is funded by an oil rich country should be excluded for what reason? They're going to sell the same amount of oil regardless and it will not be enhanced by the acquisition. He is not at war with oil after all, but trying to compete as well as mitigate the negative effects of oil burning.

Seems to me that you have invented your own standards on how you think he should act or be condemned and he acts according to perfectly reasonable standards of his own choosing instead. Even if you do not like it, that doesn't make him wrong.
jackschmittusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Matt1970
Lifer
 
Matt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 10,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmittusa View Post
Outrage not found.

If a sale date can make a difference to your bottom line, how is it immoral to choose a more profitable date? So he missed the date and will pay the higher taxes. If you hear him bitch and complain, then you have a point. Otherwise, you are just blowing smoke.

Selling to a network that is funded by an oil rich country should be excluded for what reason? They're going to sell the same amount of oil regardless and it will not be enhanced by the acquisition. He is not at war with oil after all, but trying to compete as well as mitigate the negative effects of oil burning.

Seems to me that you have invented your own standards on how you think he should act or be condemned and he acts according to perfectly reasonable standards of his own choosing instead. Even if you do not like it, that doesn't make him wrong.
I guess it depends on your morrals.
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmittusa View Post
Outrage not found.

If a sale date can make a difference to your bottom line, how is it immoral to choose a more profitable date? So he missed the date and will pay the higher taxes. If you hear him bitch and complain, then you have a point. Otherwise, you are just blowing smoke.

Selling to a network that is funded by an oil rich country should be excluded for what reason? They're going to sell the same amount of oil regardless and it will not be enhanced by the acquisition. He is not at war with oil after all, but trying to compete as well as mitigate the negative effects of oil burning.

Seems to me that you have invented your own standards on how you think he should act or be condemned and he acts according to perfectly reasonable standards of his own choosing instead. Even if you do not like it, that doesn't make him wrong.
Wrong, He calls for higher taxes on the rich and then he pulls this crap

For someone who claims to believe in that global warming BS then why is he working with them?
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
thraashman
Diamond Member
 
thraashman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 8,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
Wrong, He calls for higher taxes on the rich and then he pulls this crap

For someone who claims to believe in that global warming BS then why is he working with them?
If he called for the rich to voluntarily pay higher taxes, then you'd have a point. Or if you were anyone else there'd be a chance you'd have a point. You have never in a single post in P&N had a point though. A good rule of thumb is that if you have a thought, go another direction and there's at least a chance you'll be right.
__________________
Grammar says the right to bear arms is reliant on being in a well-regulated militia

Campaigning to get all members of P&N to put nehalem256 on their ignore list. The quality of posts in P&N can only improve once most people do.
thraashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
jackschmittusa
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,979
Default

Incorruptible

What crap? Are you saying that he should have intentionally chosen a later date? That would seem rather illogical. But then logic may be an alien concept to you.
jackschmittusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
jackschmittusa
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,979
Default

Matt1970

You may be right because I find nothing morally wrong with the incident under discussion. I find it odd that you do.
jackschmittusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thraashman View Post
If he called for the rich to voluntarily pay higher taxes, then you'd have a point. Or if you were anyone else there'd be a chance you'd have a point. You have never in a single post in P&N had a point though. A good rule of thumb is that if you have a thought, go another direction and there's at least a chance you'll be right.
But dont you see the hypocrisy, al gore wants the rich to pay more taxes and he belongs to that group but then he does everything possible to avoid paying higher taxes. What he really wants is for OTHER rich people to pay higher taxes and for himself to be excluded. That is the hypocrisy and why I am taking issue with him

Read my thread on the drug war, probably one of my greatest threads or any of the other ones and they all have good points.
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Pens1566
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,685
Default

Top 2 signs your OP is full of shit:

1) It's by incorruptible
2) Incorruptible wholeheartedly agrees with it
__________________
SP33Demon: Sometimes I wonder if McCain chose Palin so nobody would ever focus on any of his faults. It's like he logged into World of Warcraft and equipped the Shield of Idiotic Absorption, i.e. Palin.
spidey07 The economy did really well under Bush. People want those good times back.
Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Top 2 signs your OP is full of shit:

1) It's by incorruptible
2) Incorruptible wholeheartedly agrees with it
The OP is by Matt1970 NOT me so thats a fail

Why does it matter if I agree with it? I agree about ending the war on drugs so by your idiotic logic then ending the war on drugs is full of shit

I believe gay marriage should be legal so according to the moron that is you then gay marriage shouldn't be legal and is full of shit

Thanks for the new insight!
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Pens1566
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
The OP is by Matt1970 NOT me so thats a fail

Why does it matter if I agree with it? I agree about ending the war on drugs so by your idiotic logic then ending the war on drugs is full of shit

I believe gay marriage should be legal so according to the moron that is you then gay marriage shouldn't be legal and is full of shit

Thanks for the new insight!
You're either the dumbest person on the interwebs, an incredibly good troll, or some combo of the two.
__________________
SP33Demon: Sometimes I wonder if McCain chose Palin so nobody would ever focus on any of his faults. It's like he logged into World of Warcraft and equipped the Shield of Idiotic Absorption, i.e. Palin.
spidey07 The economy did really well under Bush. People want those good times back.
Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
michal1980
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5,064
Default

liberals defending the actions of one of their own. No way.


If its big business doing it, then they aren't paying their fair share, and lopholes must be closed.

If a liberal does it - just following the rules.
__________________
so many pc's so little space
michal1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Baptismbyfire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 330
Default

It's always easier to criticize others, than do what is right, for people of all political spectrum.
Baptismbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
But dont you see the hypocrisy, al gore wants the rich to pay more taxes and he belongs to that group but then he does everything possible to avoid paying higher taxes. What he really wants is for OTHER rich people to pay higher taxes and for himself to be excluded. That is the hypocrisy and why I am taking issue with him

Read my thread on the drug war, probably one of my greatest threads or any of the other ones and they all have good points.
It's more advocating for higher taxes on the rich while abiding the current tax law.
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #22
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal1980 View Post
liberals defending the actions of one of their own. No way.


If its big business doing it, then they aren't paying their fair share, and lopholes must be closed.

If a liberal does it - just following the rules.
And until we learn to address this issue then its not going to get any better. You can never argue against a liberal, they will ignore you and make up facts
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
Demo24
Diamond Member
 
Demo24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North GA
Posts: 7,837
Default

Key problem with this whole 'story': "who was reportedly eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31".

Anyone here capable of understanding the definition of 'reportedly'? There's no hard evidence here, so who gives a crap. Apparently just extreme righties here searching for some angle to get all bent out of shape on.
__________________
.........
Demo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
And until we learn to address this issue then its not going to get any better. You can never argue against a liberal, they will ignore you and make up facts
Yet when I ask you for facts to back up your wild assertions you never post them.

Hmmm
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #25
TheVrolok
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 17,517
Default

Good thing there isn't a scarcity of quality posts here at P&N.
__________________
[3570k @ 4.0] [MSI Z77A-GD55] [16GB RAM] [EVGA GTX 670 FTW]
TheVrolok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.