I'm traveling constantly and have a few days to build a new rig. I have a MicroCenter store within driving distance and plan on purchasing everything tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a few responses. Sorry for the short notice!
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Primarily will be used as a virtualization platform for lab and proof of concept testing. I have no need for a high end graphics card. So I'm looking at probably 64GB of memory and the associated hardware/CPU to drive it.
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread.
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
I've used Intel for years but not opposed. I've been doing a little research, which is where the knowledge of the forum will come in handy. My current rig has a core 2 Quad Q6600. Prefer western digital hard drives as they have been good for me in the past.
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
I could technically use the following, but not opposed to buying new:
a. 3x WD HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136319
b. 1x Optical http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136152
c. Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119137
d. PS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005
6. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Doesn't really matter but I currently have the Q6600 overclocked.
7. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
Not imperative for what I'm going to be using it for in the long run.
8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
9. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback
I'm good to go for software. Its going to be running a server based OS (ie. Windows 2008R2 Datacenter or Windows 2012).
What I've been looking at:
1. CPU: I7 3820, I7 3930 (not opposed to looking at something else)
2. MB Asus Sabertooth X79
3. Memory 2x 32G Corsair Vengeance (4x8) for a total of 64G of memory.
4. System HD SanDisk Extreme 128GB SSD
5. PS Corsair CX 750
6. HD (data) WD Black 1TB x3
7. Video: Gigabyte Geforce 210
8. Case ?
10. Whatever else I'm missing.
I'm not opposed to turning my current right into a nice desktop machine as its coming up on 3 years old (in February).
The store I'll be using is the Microcenter store for MD-Baltimore/Towson, if anyone hits their website.
Thanks so much in advance!