Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
repoman0
Senior Member
 
repoman0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 667
Default 03 Suzuki SV650 - Good deal?

I've been wanting to take up riding for a while, started a thread on it over the summer but didn't get around to it last season. Finally looking to buy because I'm hoping to get a good winter deal and keep it in my dad's garage until it gets warm (April-ish here up north). I figure if I don't like it, sell it and get most if not all of my money back.

I've been looking for 250/500cc bikes mostly to keep me out of trouble, but found what seems to be a decent looking SV650. I know I'll get opinions both ways on whether or not it's a suitable beginner bike, so really it's up to whether or not I'm comfortable with it - haven't decided about that yet.

Anyway. It's an 03 with 9k miles. New tires/plugs/oil. $2500 "OBO". Small dent in the gas tank which you can see in the picture - I guess the PO's friend dropped it (not while riding). Good amount less than most Ninja 250r's go for around here. I'm going with a friend who started riding this past season to look at it tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think - thanks!



repoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
rommelrommel
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,513
Default

I'd try to get it for 2, it's 10 years old. But if it's problem free how much can you lose anyways?
rommelrommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,692
Default

Yeah, that's a decent deal. Those bikes hold their value well and that one looks to be in pretty good condition and low mileage (I have more mileage than that on my 2012 Ducati). Keep in mind that the 2003 model was kind of a transition between the 1st gen and 2nd gen so it has some unique bits that only fit that model year. 2002 and earlier were carb'd and the 2003 on are fuel injection. I kind of dig the earlier models despite having owned a 2nd gen SV for 3.5 years and almost 17,000 miles.

It's a lot of bike for a beginner though. Plenty of power for sure and that v-twin has a lot of engine braking off throttle. Nor is it forgiving someone who isn't smooth on the throttle.

This was mine a few months before I sold it. Great bike, very reliable, cheap to insure, cheap to maintain, fun to ride, 50mpg. I have nothing bad to say about the venerable SV650.



If you do end up getting it, check out svrider.com. Lots of good information and the people there are very helpful for the most part.
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy

Last edited by JulesMaximus; 01-05-2013 at 11:47 PM.
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
T2urtle
Diamond Member
 
T2urtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 3,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post

This was mine a few months before I sold it. Great bike, very reliable, cheap to insure, cheap to maintain, fun to ride, 50mpg. I have nothing bad to say about the venerable SV650.



If you do end up getting it, check out svrider.com. Lots of good information and the people there are very helpful for the most part.
How you get 50mpg? Is that your average over those 17k miles? I'm only getting 35ish compared to my old GS500 that got me 41

OP, I own the exact same bike and color. 2003 Naked model. I agree everything that Jules stated other then the MPG. The bike looks to have a couple mods on there, mostly good mods. I see what i think is a holeshot high mount slip-on, good frame sliders, some type of ebay mirrors, 05+ OEM windscreen. See if he did some suspension mods, seems like its the next step of mods for that bike.

Overall i like my bike, wish i have the time to put more miles on it but who doesn't. Solid and cheap bike to own.
T2urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2urtle View Post
How you get 50mpg? Is that your average over those 17k miles? I'm only getting 35ish compared to my old GS500 that got me 41

OP, I own the exact same bike and color. 2003 Naked model. I agree everything that Jules stated other then the MPG. The bike looks to have a couple mods on there, mostly good mods. I see what i think is a holeshot high mount slip-on, good frame sliders, some type of ebay mirrors, 05+ OEM windscreen. See if he did some suspension mods, seems like its the next step of mods for that bike.

Overall i like my bike, wish i have the time to put more miles on it but who doesn't. Solid and cheap bike to own.
Thrashing the crap out of it in the city got me 45mpg (which was typical riding conditions for me). 43-44mpg was the absolute worst I got, low 50mpg was about the best. I got upward of 60mpg when I first bought the bike just because I was keeping the revs down during the breakin period and I was just getting used to the bike. I could routinely get 50-52 riding out in the mountains and canyons and since many people claim they get 50+ on the forums I used that number. 45-47mpg was more typical.

Maybe your bike needs a tuneup. Mine was pretty much stock as far as fueling and ECU go except for the slip on M4.

I get 35mpg out of my 1100cc Ducati. There is no reason you shouldn't be in the mid 40s with your SV650 unless it is setup as a track or race pepped bike.
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy

Last edited by JulesMaximus; 01-06-2013 at 09:29 AM.
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,692
Default

Stupid duplicate post...
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy

Last edited by JulesMaximus; 01-06-2013 at 09:09 AM.
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,867
Default

That bike is too big for a first bike unless you're >250lbs.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
T2urtle
Diamond Member
 
T2urtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 3,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Thrashing the crap out of it in the city got me 45mpg (which was typical riding conditions for me). 43-44mpg was the absolute worst I got, low 50mpg was about the best. I got upward of 60mpg when I first bought the bike just because I was keeping the revs down during the breakin period and I was just getting used to the bike. I could get routinely get 50-52 riding out in the mountains and canyons and since many people claim they get 50+ on the forums I used that number. 45-47mpg was more typical.

Maybe your bike needs a tuneup. Mine was pretty much stock as far as fueling and ECU go except for the slip on M4.
Doubtful but never know. I only have 6k miles, stock everything aside from brand new pilot powers. I ride more city, that's why I feel my mpg is acceptable. I now have a full titiatium exhaust. But didn't get much riding in to write down mpg.
T2urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2urtle View Post
Doubtful but never know. I only have 6k miles, stock everything aside from brand new pilot powers. I ride more city, that's why I feel my mpg is acceptable. I now have a full titiatium exhaust. But didn't get much riding in to write down mpg.
Engine mods and exhaust will not increase fuel economy... might hurt it a bit in fact.

I'd make sure your plugs are decent and air filter/filter box is clean (sometimes mice like to make nests in them if the bike sits for long periods of time).

I could go around 145-150 miles before the fuel light would come on and typically would add a little over 3 gallons to fill it. I ran it out of gas once at 199 miles.
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 44,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
I'd try to get it for 2, it's 10 years old. But if it's problem free how much can you lose anyways?
Doubtful.

I put mine on Craigslist for $2100 in May of 2012. It was a 2000 SV650 with about 25k miles on it, had been wrecked so I put different bars on it, TrailTech Vapor cluster instead of stock, had a slight seep of oil somewhere underneath, one original piston and one with about 3k on it, and one original head and one used head from another bike (previous owner messed up a valve adjustment and broke a valve and severely damaged a piston).

I had multiple offers within three hours and I had someone come down at 11pm that night to pick it up because he didn't want anyone else to get it first. Asking price.
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
rstrohkirch
Senior Member
 
rstrohkirch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2urtle View Post
How you get 50mpg? Is that your average over those 17k miles? I'm only getting 35ish compared to my old GS500 that got me 41
35mpg on a gen2 sv650 is abnormally low. I had a gen1 carbed version and averaged 42-44mpg and a friend with a 09 gets 48-50mpg. It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure I averaged around 32-34mpg at the track on mine.



I remember buying mine for $2100 and then selling it 1.5 years later for around $2600. Obviously this was awhile ago but I did think it was funny.
rstrohkirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
rommelrommel
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
Doubtful.

I put mine on Craigslist for $2100 in May of 2012. It was a 2000 SV650 with about 25k miles on it, had been wrecked so I put different bars on it, TrailTech Vapor cluster instead of stock, had a slight seep of oil somewhere underneath, one original piston and one with about 3k on it, and one original head and one used head from another bike (previous owner messed up a valve adjustment and broke a valve and severely damaged a piston).

I had multiple offers within three hours and I had someone come down at 11pm that night to pick it up because he didn't want anyone else to get it first. Asking price.
True, but that's May and this is January.
rommelrommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
T2urtle
Diamond Member
 
T2urtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 3,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrohkirch View Post
35mpg on a gen2 sv650 is abnormally low. I had a gen1 carbed version and averaged 42-44mpg and a friend with a 09 gets 48-50mpg. It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure I averaged around 32-34mpg at the track on mine.



I remember buying mine for $2100 and then selling it 1.5 years later for around $2600. Obviously this was awhile ago but I did think it was funny.
Yea, i would get around 100 miles before the light came on. I normally shift around 6k or w/e was at the 12 o clock spot on the ODO. Well i'll gotta plugs, filter, coolant and brake when i pull it out of storage this spring. So i'll see whats the deal after.

Some bikes easily sell for more then what you bought it for as long as you dont trash it. My gs500f was bought for about $1800 and sold for $2600. I bought my SV650 with the money.

I dont think its too much of a bike, any 600 Supersport will be too much for a new person. different riding position and much more upper end power. The SV is more predictable power overall.
T2urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 44,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
True, but that's May and this is January.
I'm in Arizona. May or January doesn't really matter. Unless the guy selling it is desperate, $2k would be insulting for a pretty clean '03 SV650 with 9k on it. Wouldn't hurt to try, I guess.

Here are some other prices for reference.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/3510608534.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3506842540.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3457004392.html
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450

Last edited by jlee; 01-06-2013 at 02:00 PM.
jlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
repoman0
Senior Member
 
repoman0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 667
Default

So - I looked at it today and everything was as described, my friend really liked it, and the guy and his dad and coworkers were all great guys. I put a small refundable deposit on it to hold it! Gotta figure out how to get it up to my dad's for a few months of storage now

Thanks for the responses, I read them all carefully, particularly about it being a powerful bike for a beginner. I'll be riding it on empty, middle of nowhere New Hampshire roads basically all season, and with prices around here have no doubt that if it makes me too nervous I could trade for a 250cc or make a few hundred bucks at least on a sale in April-May.
repoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 44,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman0 View Post
So - I looked at it today and everything was as described, my friend really liked it, and the guy and his dad and coworkers were all great guys. I put a small refundable deposit on it to hold it! Gotta figure out how to get it up to my dad's for a few months of storage now

Thanks for the responses, I read them all carefully, particularly about it being a powerful bike for a beginner. I'll be riding it on empty, middle of nowhere New Hampshire roads basically all season, and with prices around here have no doubt that if it makes me too nervous I could trade for a 250cc or make a few hundred bucks at least on a sale in April-May.
You'll be fine if you're not a dumbass. I learned on an SV650.

I rode a GSXR600 the other day and I think that might kill me. The SV is much tamer.
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
You'll be fine if you're not a dumbass. I learned on an SV650.

I rode a GSXR600 the other day and I think that might kill me. The SV is much tamer.
LOL! I rode a friends GSXR600 a couple years ago, it was a 2008 model, and I absolutely loved it. So much fun, but it is an uncomfortable beast. And way too much bike for a new rider.
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
andylawcc
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,551
Default

ya, $2500 is a deal. here in LA a 2nd gen SV will be easily 3k plus.
andylawcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
repoman0
Senior Member
 
repoman0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 667
Default

Picking it up tomorrow!

Scheduling the state of Massachusetts/MSF combo course thing for March or so to get a long weekend worth of practice in and also get my license in one shot, then to find some parking lots to practice some more...

Last edited by repoman0; 01-12-2013 at 05:18 PM.
repoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
ballmode
Lifer
 
ballmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,177
Default

I had a 2002 wish I had the fuel injected 03+

Great beginning bikes I got 50mpg easily on regular gas!

Smooth throttle is what you have to learn on this hike it is torquey down low
__________________
#1 ATOT COLTS FAN


My 2004 WRX

Flickr's Most interesting Photos In The Past Week/Pic

This thread is udderly ridiculous
AnandTech Mooooderator
ballmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
pauldun170
Golden Member
 
pauldun170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,974
Default

Great bikes for newbies and experienced riders alike.
pauldun170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
repoman0
Senior Member
 
repoman0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 667
Default

Took the bike out for the first time today! I intended to find an empty parking lot to practice more in after the MSF course but my friend and I just rode up and down a mile or so long empty road a few times. Then I had to get gas so traffic was inevitable and we rode up the NH coast a bit, by then I felt comfortable enough to ride anywhere around here (except highway). Having to learn in the city would probably suck.

Anyway. Plenty of power but quite manageable. I was pretty smooth on the throttle all 4-5 hours today, even over bumps so that definitely helped. I'm pretty surprised how smooth my transition from MSF course on a small dirt bike to roads on a relatively powerful 650cc bike was. Helps being in New Hampshire.

Oh and the pronounced engine breaking mentioned earlier in the thread is awesome - hardly ever had to touch the brakes since I was taking it easy. Just roll off throttle and downshift to slow down.
repoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 66,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman0 View Post
Took the bike out for the first time today! I intended to find an empty parking lot to practice more in after the MSF course but my friend and I just rode up and down a mile or so long empty road a few times. Then I had to get gas so traffic was inevitable and we rode up the NH coast a bit, by then I felt comfortable enough to ride anywhere around here (except highway). Having to learn in the city would probably suck.

Anyway. Plenty of power but quite manageable. I was pretty smooth on the throttle all 4-5 hours today, even over bumps so that definitely helped. I'm pretty surprised how smooth my transition from MSF course on a small dirt bike to roads on a relatively powerful 650cc bike was. Helps being in New Hampshire.

Oh and the pronounced engine breaking mentioned earlier in the thread is awesome - hardly ever had to touch the brakes since I was taking it easy. Just roll off throttle and downshift to slow down.
Congrats! Welcome to the world of 2 wheel riding. It is definitely addicting.
__________________
I see conservative commentator Glenn Beck as "Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." -Stephen King

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #24
repoman0
Senior Member
 
repoman0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Congrats! Welcome to the world of 2 wheel riding. It is definitely addicting.
Thanks Jules! Absolutely addicting, we've already been back out twice since that last post.
repoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
Zargon
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
I'd try to get it for 2, it's 10 years old. But if it's problem free how much can you lose anyways?
but its only a generation out, and it has 9k miles.


that would be a 3K bike around me


I agree though, offer 2 and go from there
__________________
heatware | steam | ebay
Reaumur(Gamer): Silverstone Raven02, Antec HCG900, Z77 Fata1ity/3770K, 16GB DDR3-1833, 2x7950@1Ghz, 27" IPS
Kelvin(3D-HTPC):Q9550 w/H50, P5G41, 4GB DDR2-1066, 5870 w accellero xtreme
Chill(Server): Thuban x6@3.3 wH50 8gb ddr3 4x1.5tb ESXi
Zargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.