· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
Fallengod
Diamond Member

Default SSD Freeze upon bootup issue....

Ok. Just installed a new Intel 520 180GB SSD(my first SSD). Formated and installing Win7.

As soon as I install the latest Nvidia drivers, it hangs and never gets into windows...... what the f***?

I currently have mobo in IDE mode for SATA. Is there anything special settings wise I need to do for SSD's when setting one up for the first time? As soon as Nvidia drivers are uninstalled, I can boot into windows fine. Bios settings? Anyone have a clue....

I just took out my 150gb vraptor and installed the SSD. Everything was fine before with the same exact drivers.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Coup27
Golden Member

Please post your system specs. We are troubleshooting in the dark at the moment. A basic checklist would be:

Is your BIOS up to date?
Are you installing the latest chipset drivers?
Are you installing the latest nvidia drivers?
Have all the Windows updates been installed before, or after the nvidia driver installation?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Burner27
Memory and Storage
Video Cards and Graphics

I had the same thing going on in my machine recently with an nVidia-based video card (MSI GTX460 HAWK) and it turned out to be my card went bad. I replaced it with a GTX570 (no not a cheap way to go but I could not wait for the MSI to come back from RMA). My machine has been working fine since. All my drivers/BIOS/Firmwares are at their current revisions as well. If you can test your setup with another nVidia-based card and see if you still have boot up issues then you will know if it is the card.
Burner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Fallengod
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner27 View Post
I had the same thing going on in my machine recently with an nVidia-based video card (MSI GTX460 HAWK) and it turned out to be my card went bad. I replaced it with a GTX570 (no not a cheap way to go but I could not wait for the MSI to come back from RMA). My machine has been working fine since. All my drivers/BIOS/Firmwares are at their current revisions as well. If you can test your setup with another nVidia-based card and see if you still have boot up issues then you will know if it is the card.
That just wouldnt be logical though. My system was running fine previously. I literally took out the WD vraptor and put the SSD in within an hour and after installing win7 and trying to load nvidia drivers, it just didnt boot up.

I dont know what the fuck the problem is, but the damn thing just cant get into windows after nvidia drivers are installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup27 View Post
Please post your system specs. We are troubleshooting in the dark at the moment. A basic checklist would be:

Is your BIOS up to date?
Are you installing the latest chipset drivers?
Are you installing the latest nvidia drivers?
Have all the Windows updates been installed before, or after the nvidia driver installation?
Its an intel i5-2500k, 8gb memory, Asus P8Z68-v lx mobo, msi gtx 650 video card. I am NOT using the latest mobo bios, so I am going to update that. I also do not have latest intel chipset drivers installed which I am also going to rectify shortly.

I have also changed from IDE to AHCI in bios for the SSD as well. Hopefully something here fixes this issue.

Ive already reformatted and installed win7 like 3 times.

Last edited by Fallengod; 01-05-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Fallengod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Coup27
Golden Member

If updating to the latest BIOS, chipset, RST and GFX drivers does not cure it I think you should start again now you have updated everything.

Reset the BIOS to defaults and then reinstall Windows 7, ensuring to format the whole SSD at the installation stage. Then install the latest chipset drivers, reboot, install latest RST drivers, reboot (twice), install latest GFX drivers, reboot, then all of your Windows updates and see how that fairs.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Fallengod
Diamond Member

Thanks for the help man I appreciate it.

Just to update, I have solved the problem. lol. It was a stupid ass issue that I never would have thought of.

Its because I had my HDMI cable plugged into the video card and for some reason it defaults to outputing to my TV source which isnt on. <facepalm> It wasnt really freezing, its just that I couldnt see anything but black.... God damnit...
Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Burner27
Memory and Storage
Video Cards and Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallengod View Post
That just wouldnt be logical though. My system was running fine previously. I literally took out the WD vraptor and put the SSD in within an hour and after installing win7 and trying to load nvidia drivers, it just didnt boot up.

I dont know what the fuck the problem is, but the damn thing just cant get into windows after nvidia drivers are installed.

Its an intel i5-2500k, 8gb memory, Asus P8Z68-v lx mobo, msi gtx 650 video card. I am NOT using the latest mobo bios, so I am going to update that. I also do not have latest intel chipset drivers installed which I am also going to rectify shortly.

I have also changed from IDE to AHCI in bios for the SSD as well. Hopefully something here fixes this issue.

Ive already reformatted and installed win7 like 3 times.
Mine was a perfectly running system as well and i updated the video card drivers and then my machine wouldn't boot either. I couldnt even boot my system into safe mode. Put in a GTX570 replacement card with the drivers that I tried to use with the card that died and it booted fine. Glad you got it fixed.
Burner27 is offline   Reply With Quote