· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
warcrow
Lifer

Red face Far Cry 3

I got a chance to play the game for a few hours last night and here are my first impressions:

• Speaking purely from an entertainment perspective, I think Far Cry 3's intro is fantastically well done. For the first 20 minutes the game dumped a large and exciting amount of exposition on me, and it's very memorable. Not Half-life-intro-amazing but it's definitely one of the best. It really got me excited to play.

• The amount of side stuff in this game is mind boggling. That in itself isn't awesome, what IS awesome if all of it seems to have some type of reward. Something you do will decrease prices or permanently remove bad guys from locations or net you some XP or money. Will it be too much and overwhelm people? Perhaps, but one could always just ignore it right? The real question: Can you beat the game without completing any of the side-missions and their rewards?

• Coup to nuts is fun, and that's something I was expecting. I thought it was going to be a drag hunting down animals, but you know what? I found chasing some of these little suckers around a nice break from the other action. Heck even trying to sneak up on them and taking them out silently was nice practice for the real thing. Every animals skin has some sort of benefit...eventually.

• Tagging is useful--much like it was in FC2--however you can now use anything with a lens. Plus it denotes what kind of enemy they are (rusher/sniper). So for instance I was able to tag out a whole camp, perched from a ledge above before taking everyone out with my sniper-scope.

• FarCry3 is gorgeous on the X360. So far I've had the frame rate take a few dips here and there but not to unplayable levels. You can tell this game is really really pushing the hardware. So yeah, it seems to be rendered fairly consistently at a decent rate, but it always feels like it's on the verge of...studder. Like, if one more pig runs into this scene it's screwed! fortunately that's usually not the case. I'm rambling at this point aren't I? Let me just end this bullet point with this: It's still spectacular considering it's running on hardware that's 7 years old. Not to start an argument because they're both gorgeous games, however I think some people will immediately declare Hitman Absolution a better looking game. It is indeed a damn good looking game but to me Far Cry 3 is more impressive. It's truly a massively open-world game and I contend the tech stuff in Far Cry 3 is incredibly more complicated and impressive. Moot point really. Shutting up now.

• The pseudo 'Autolog' (for a lack of a better term) stuff is great. For instance there's a side-game which essentially spawns you into a separate instance from the game proper, and the goal is to score as many points within a certain amount of time. Basically it's just a big forest killbox, and you're rewarded with more points for killing bad guys. The points vary considering the method (head shot, stealthy). So the game tracks your score + everyone on your buddy list & then ranks everyone. It's just silly-fun. Oh and whomever is on top gets their gamertag displayed in the game world where you access this content (it's a big boulder).

• The lead antagonist--Vaas--is unsuspectingly spectacular. His voice acting is fantastic, he's comically insane & super-imposing. I mean, he just feels like a real threat and totally out of his mind.

• The mocap is great because it doesn't stand out from the rest of the game world. It's not overly animated/annoyingly suggestive.

• There are a lot of weapons, skill points and....omg there's just a lot of stuff.

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the game and I'll try to answer them if I can.
warcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

I paid almost no attention to this game until a few days ago. I loved the original Far Cry, Far Cry 2 had me writing off the series altogether.

The impression I get is that this game is more akin to Skyrim with guns then it is to Far Cry 2. Would you say that is an accurate assessment?

If it is, I have to pick this one up for myself(going to be on the PC for me).
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
I paid almost no attention to this game until a few days ago. I loved the original Far Cry, Far Cry 2 had me writing off the series altogether.

The impression I get is that this game is more akin to Skyrim with guns then it is to Far Cry 2. Would you say that is an accurate assessment?

If it is, I have to pick this one up for myself(going to be on the PC for me).
Further, how much of an RPG is this, or is it one at all? I can't damn well remember the name but a couple years back a game came out that took place in south america or somewhere and it was a third person, ultra big open world, you could sky dive, get a jet, steal vehicles, etc. so do missions but also whatever else you wanted. I liked it. Is that what FC is like?
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
TechBoyJK
Lifer

this game is the tits. very addictive, and incredibly well done. Props to the devs for paying attention to their users and compiling a game that reflects what people want.
You're being difficult. You have not provided us with the information we need to troubleshoot the problem. You have not given us errors, you're vague about where the problem is, you are not answering the questions we ask. In short, you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THINK. Give back that piece of paper you think makes your intelligent, apologize, destroy your computer and go live in the woods kid.
TechBoyJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Soundmanred
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
Further, how much of an RPG is this, or is it one at all? I can't damn well remember the name but a couple years back a game came out that took place in south america or somewhere and it was a third person, ultra big open world, you could sky dive, get a jet, steal vehicles, etc. so do missions but also whatever else you wanted. I liked it. Is that what FC is like?
It has similarities to Just Cause 2, but FC3 is more grounded and realistic.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
CVSiN
Diamond Member

FC3 is flat incredible on PC this time. DX11 and ultra settings blow the doors off the console versions.

Have about 20 hours into the PC version and still showing less than 50% completed.

The game is flat incredible.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)

CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
reallyscrued
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
FC3 is flat incredible on PC this time. DX11 and ultra settings blow the doors off the console versions.

Have about 20 hours into the PC version and still showing less than 50% completed.

The game is flat incredible.
Glad to hear the PC version looks significantly better than consoles.

Any chance you could post some screens? Finding PC screens with any amount of AA at 1080p is harder than it should be.

AMD Phenom II BE965 - 4.0 Ghz || Gigabyte 7850 2GB - 1050/5500 || GA-MA790X-UD4P - 240 Mhz FSB
4 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 - 800 Mhz || WD Caviar Black 1TB || WD Caviar Green 2TB
Denon AVR-591 || Pioneer SP-FS51/C21/BS-41 || BIC F12 || Klipsch RW-12D || Sennheiser HD 202-II || Panasonic TC-P50U50
reallyscrued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
RedRooster
Diamond Member

Graphics aside, I honestly think this could be the game of the year. I'm on the Xbox version, and I can't turn it off! Never played FC1 and couldn't get through FC2, but they crushed this game. So much stuff to do, and even if some people might think it could get monotonous, the quality of the gameplay keeps it going. I'm having more fun with this than GTA4 and quite possibly even Fallout 3 which I LOVED.
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Doppel
Lifer

Started this today.

Let's get this out of the way: Holy crap the xbox 360 is OLD. Graphics on this are seriously weak on the 360. I've seen it do much better in other recent games and I suppose it must be the result of the incredible draw distances, though I don't quite recall Skyrim as challenged.

Anyhow, about two hours in and the terrible graphics are taking back seat to the ambiance, the environment. I think the fact I played until I had a gaming headache speaks to the game in positive ways
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
American Gunner
Platinum Member

I love this game. I have never been so worried about ambient noises. I throw on my gaming headset anytime I play it just so I can make sure I hear the tiger that is about to rip my face off. Graphically, I think it is pretty good, a lot better than other games that people loved (Dishonored is one), but it is just so much fun. I started running through some of the story missions, then got side tracked doing all the hunting I need to upgrade all my stuff and taking over the northern outposts. This is easily my game of the year, and I am not even half way done with the story.
American Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Todd33
Diamond Member

On a good PC this game is pure eye candy. Playing at 1080P @ 60fps with very high. I use the 360 controller and sick back in my recliner. This is the tye of game that makes you buy a good GPU. Glad I got a free GTX670 from work
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd33 View Post
On a good PC this game is pure eye candy. Playing at 1080P @ 60fps with very high. I use the 360 controller and sick back in my recliner. This is the tye of game that makes you buy a good GPU. Glad I got a free GTX670 from work
you install that vid card into your ps3 or 360?
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Graze

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
you install that vid card into your ps3 or 360?
I was like I dont think this dumb joke. But then I guess this is the console section and he is talking about the pc version?
Graze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
Soundmanred
Lifer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graze View Post
I was like I dont think this dumb joke. But then I guess this is the console section and he is talking about the pc version?
Not a dumb joke, just a condescending sarcastic ahole who never makes mistakes apparently. Get used to it, it happens alot.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
Doppel
Lifer

Anyone else have this issue: When game starts I can register U play or click "never ask me again". I've clicked never ask me again a half dozen times, which should be impossible, because it shouldn't keep asking!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Does the game let you roam around and free outposts and look for relics after you finish the story? I am just wondering before I move along too far on it.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
RedRooster
Diamond Member

Yep, it does!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Saaaaweeet. I wanted to make sure so I could leave some outposts open so I had some enemies to continue to kill and level up. Now I know and I will finish the story this weekend.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
RedRooster
Diamond Member

There's several spots on the island that has infinitely respawning enemies, where you can go back and kill to get achievements if you need. I was worried about that too, after I got all the outposts and beat the game I didn't think I could get my flamethrower achievement and stuff. But you still can.
Go for the outposts now, get the achievement in case you lose interest once you beat the game.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Oh ok. Is there a good amount of enemy respawns, or is it just a few spots on the huge island?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
RedRooster
Diamond Member

There's a good amount. Like the big underground harbour thing there are 6-10 just at the entrance(I didn't go underground) and they just keep respawning if you walk away.
Hoyt's base(the final one) is full of em too. Not so much out on the roads, but the main bases and stuff still has guys.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Ok sounds like a plan then. I doubt I will get bored, but I still have Skyrim, Prototype 2, and Darksiders 2 to finish before the next set of good games comes out in March. Then I will be adding Tombraider, Gears, and GTA to my stack of games. It looks like I won't have to worry about trying to find games to play in the summer.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
RedRooster
Diamond Member

Give co-op a try too, its pretty fun. FC3 has a surprising amount of replayability, I almost feel bad for neglecting BF3 since I got Far Cry.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
American Gunner
Platinum Member

A buddy finally got this but he hardly plays, so I haven't had anyone to play the co-op with. But I am looking forward to checking it out.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
BoberFett
Lifer

I think I'm nearing the end of the story and would be up for trying the co-op at some point.

BoberFett on XBL