· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Crono
Lifer

Default Favorite vegan-friendly recipes?

I'm almost 6 weeks into a vegan diet. Aside from 2 slips (one involving 3 or 4 chocolate chip cookies, the other a few mini snickers - yes, chocolate is my kryptonite), I've been strictly on it. It's been easier than I thought it would be otherwise, probably in small part due to me being used to at least eating some healthy foods regularly. I've lost 7 lbs thus far (down to 203 lbs from 210 lbs day after Thanksgiving) and I don't think I'll be gaining any of that back ever again. Still a ways to go before I hit my goal of 185 lbs, though.

I've been making a lot of quick and easy stuff like veggie-only subs (or buying them at Subway), soups, rice and bean dishes, pita bread with hummus, etc or ready made stuff like oatmeal or cereal, but I'm looking to stay on this diet for the rest of my life. So I could use some recipes that are strictly vegan to add some variety.

Anyone have delicious and easy recipes? As much as I would like to create exquisite dishes, time is a factor: I usually have about an hour free to make food for lunch and dinner which I bring to work.

Last edited by Crono; 01-03-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Kaido
Lifer

My favorite Vegan cookbook is "The Thrive Diet" by Brendan Brazier:

http://www.amazon.com/Thrive-Nutriti...dp/0738212547/

He also has a new recipe book out with 200 recipes:

http://www.amazon.com/Thrive-Foods-P...dp/0738215112/

I use the chocolate-blueberry energy bars a lot. Recipe is here, give it a try:

http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2011/...ry-energy-bars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=R6OutVUxxV0

If you need chocolate, are willing to pay for good quality chocolate, and want it Vegan, the best place on the planet is Divine Treasures Chocolates:

http://divinetreasureschocolates.com/

Not cheap, but worth every penny. And they ship online!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Kaido
Lifer

Also, here's a tasty treat: Sweet Potato Smoothie. You'll need:

16oz Vanilla Almond Milk (or Very Vanilla Soy Milk) * Sweetened, not unsweetened
1 large, cooked Sweet Potato (best if chilled in the fridge first)
Pumpkin Pie Spice

I just cook the sweet potato in the microwave - wash it off, poke holes in it with a fork, and cook it for 3 minutes per side. Scoop the potato out into the blender (although it's way better if it's cold first!), add 8oz of vanilla soy/rice/almond milk, and shake some pumpkin pie spice in (McCormick has a pre-made mixer bottle of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.). It will blend up to a pudding consistency. Pour it into a large cup and add the other 8oz of vanilla milk and stir with a knife. Enjoy! (great with a straw too)
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
Crono
Lifer

Thanks, Kaido, I'm going to see if I can pick up those books next time I'm at B&N, and looking forward to trying the sweet potato smoothie recipe today.

That chocolate is a little pricey, but I might get a box of blond caramel to have as an occasional treat. That and Lindt 70% cocoa bars keep the sugar gnomes in my brain at bay.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Kaido
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Thanks, Kaido, I'm going to see if I can pick up those books next time I'm at B&N, and looking forward to trying the sweet potato smoothie recipe today.

That chocolate is a little pricey, but I might get a box of blond caramel to have as an occasional treat. That and Lindt 70% cocoa bars keep the sugar gnomes in my brain at bay.
They have Kindle versions available as well - you can read it on your computer (or iPhone or whatever), if you don't mind that. One of my 2013 projects is going through a couple recipes every week, so that I'll have tried the entire list from the first book by the end of the year. So far it's got some really tasty stuff and I've felt better on this food than any other meal plan I've ever been on!

Yeah, those chocolates are one of my few allowances (well, when I'm not sugar deprived and binge myself into a coma, haha). I recommend: 2Di4 (basically liquid chocolate inside), Turona (some kind of coconut mash & soft chocolate on top), Mellow bar (like a Nestle Crunch), Dorrie's Nut Bar (mix of stuff, awesome), and Giggles (like a Snickers with sea/rock salt on top). The Lindt dark chocolate stuff is too dark for me, plus I have a dairy allergy and most other dark chocolates have dairy in them anyway. The stuff from Divine Treasures is sweeter than regular (bitter) dark chocolate, which I appreciate (thanks to the mix of ingredients in each one - Vegan caramel, coconut, etc.).
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
KoolAidKid
Golden Member

This book has a lot of good recipes in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Chloes-Kitchen-Delicious-Recipes-Making/dp/1451636741/

I also use the Moosewood cookbook a lot, but you need to alter some of the recipes to make them vegan.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by KoolAidKid; 01-14-2013 at 11:09 AM.
KoolAidKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

chop a bunch of brussel sprouts in half. toss them in a bag of olive oil + salt & pepper. roast for like 30 minutes at 400? I think they sell them at wegmans also in the food court.

Maybe check out an indian cookbook for vegan receipes. Seriously they have some awesome tasting stuff. There's this tofu in curry dish that tastes really good. potato filled samosas are delicious also.

costco sells quinoa salad that tastes really good. Maybe look up a recipe for that. Quinoa has pretty good macros and you can cook it in a rice cooker if you want to do it yourself. They sell prewashed bags at costco also.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
kalrith
Diamond Member

This is my favorite vegan recipe: http://www.vega-licious.com/vegan-re...-vegan-recipe/

I served it on polenta for Easter dinner last year, using a modification of the following recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

I made some ratatouille the other day. It's a vegetarian dish and it tastes really good.