· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Muse
Lifer

Default Windows XP install disk needed, have COA

I have a COA for an OEM system that's no longer being used. The disk I have for it won't boot. Can I get someone to make a copy of theirs and send it to me? I'll compensate you appropriately, cool? Let me know here and we can work it out in PMs... TIA.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
lxskllr
Lifer

Home or Pro? You can usually find an iso via torrents.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Home or Pro? You can usually find an iso via torrents.
Oh, cool, I didn't think of that. I'll hunt up a Pro version. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Evander
Golden Member

I would not trust torrenting or otherwise downloading an unauthorized Windows distribution even if I had a legit license b/c of security concerns.
Evander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evander View Post
I would not trust torrenting or otherwise downloading an unauthorized Windows distribution even if I had a legit license b/c of security concerns.
You have a point there.

I DLed a WinXP SP3 ISO today purported to be an untouched MSDN version. Unfortunately it would not accept my key and I had a devil of a time getting the system restored to where it would boot any of the 4 XP installs I have on the HDs. I deleted two of them after I managed to boot to a disk (it would not for a while), finally could access Windows. So, I go out there and find an ISO that's supposed to be WinXP SP3 OEM. Burned it to CDR, hopefully it will authenticate with the key. I have no idea if it will or won't. I'd feel much better if I could get someone to send me an exact copy of an actual WinXP OEM install disk. Don't know if it has to be SP2, like the one I have. It's no biggie, I already have SP3 downloaded to HD.

Last edited by Muse; 01-02-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Fardringle
Diamond Member

I have an ISO of the Dell XP Pro SP3 disc but I'm not sure how to get the 645MB file to you since I don't know of any free services that can share files that big.
"Greendale is a bodaciously small town, Lane... I can't even Find-A-Drug here!" - Charles De Mar (Better Off Dead)
"I did not have BOINC relations with that woman, Rosetta@Home!" - Bill Clinton
Fardringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #7
Arkaign
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardringle View Post
I have an ISO of the Dell XP Pro SP3 disc but I'm not sure how to get the 645MB file to you since I don't know of any free services that can share files that big.
If you have gmail, click on 'drive' in the upper section, it gives you 5gb of free upload space for a virtual drive. You don't have to install the drive app if you don't want to. Then email it off with download permission enabled.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
You have a point there.

I DLed a WinXP SP3 ISO today purported to be an untouched MSDN version. Unfortunately it would not accept my key and I had a devil of a time getting the system restored to where it would boot any of the 4 XP installs I have on the HDs. I deleted two of them after I managed to boot to a disk (it would not for a while), finally could access Windows. So, I go out there and find an ISO that's supposed to be WinXP SP3 OEM. Burned it to CDR, hopefully it will authenticate with the key. I have no idea if it will or won't. I'd feel much better if I could get someone to send me an exact copy of an actual WinXP OEM install disk. Don't know if it has to be SP2, like the one I have. It's no biggie, I already have SP3 downloaded to HD.
Welcome to the world of XP. One of it's greatest failings was that it was extremely picky about versions and keys; the media was keyed to specific versions in such a way that it required different media for each version. This is something Vista thankfully fixed (even if Win7+ tried to close it a bit with ei.cfg), but if you're servicing old XP machines all you can do is try to track down the matching media.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
Welcome to the world of XP. One of it's greatest failings was that it was extremely picky about versions and keys; the media was keyed to specific versions in such a way that it required different media for each version. This is something Vista thankfully fixed (even if Win7+ tried to close it a bit with ei.cfg), but if you're servicing old XP machines all you can do is try to track down the matching media.
I wanted to say something in that regard, but I wasn't sure of all the differences, and didn't want to say something incorrect. XP was definitely a PITA to get media for.

I saw a torrent iso that includes most major manufacturers, and the three major XP versions in a multiboot iso. Not sure if it works well, or if it's clean, but that would be a useful thing to keep in your toolbox if it works.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
chucky2
Diamond Member

OP PM me your shipping info and I'll send you a burned disk.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Fardringle
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post
If you have gmail, click on 'drive' in the upper section, it gives you 5gb of free upload space for a virtual drive. You don't have to install the drive app if you don't want to. Then email it off with download permission enabled.
Good call, thanks!

Muse, I'll PM you a link to the ISO download as soon as I finish uploading it to Google.
"Greendale is a bodaciously small town, Lane... I can't even Find-A-Drug here!" - Charles De Mar (Better Off Dead)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
hoorah

Quote:
I have a similar image. I pulled it off a torrent site, which I dislike because, as others have mentioned, there are security concerns.

I mostly just use it now for reformatting dell computers I plan to sell on craigslist, so it doesn't worry me so much.

Its super convenient too - you don't even have to enter a key, it preactivates based on the bios. At least, I think it does anyway.

I have a similar windows 7 install disc that has been a big help in fixing OEM win 7 computers.
NAS: Dlink DNS 323 NAS - 2x1TB
Portable: HP DV7 - T6600 / 8GB
hoorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Good call, thanks!

Muse, I'll PM you a link to the ISO download as soon as I finish uploading it to Google.
I think the ISO I torrented yesterday is OK. It took my key. Hope it will activate or I'll have to call MS. So, hold on, I don't think I'll need that disc, this is working, AFAIK. Thanks anyway! I'll PM you this too.

In case anyone's curious or needs that disc, I got it here:

http://h33t.com/details.php?id=40818...c68c2677a33ca0

It is explained there that it's a clean untouched ISO of the OEM XP SP3 install and you'll need a key and that it doesn't work for OEM installs with manufacturer specific keys.

Last edited by Muse; 01-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Fardringle
Diamond Member

OK, well the image is uploaded now. Let me know if you decide that you want to use it.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
douglasb
Diamond Member

Try DigitalRiver maybe?

Regardless of where you find it, you should compare the checksum with whatever Microsoft says it should be.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
Try DigitalRiver maybe?

Regardless of where you find it, you should compare the checksum with whatever Microsoft says it should be.
How do I do there and where do I find out what it should be? Thanks.
---------
The install seemed to go OK, I have no indication that the disk isn't the same as MS's. The key was accepted and after I got my LAN driver installed I was able to activate online. Did my Windows Updates, got my SATA controller recognized, Ghosted the partition so I don't have to do this all over again, at least that's the plan. Also installed MSE and ran a quick scan which didn't report any problem.

This doesn't look like any kind of fudged software, crack, etc.

Last edited by Muse; 01-03-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
OK, well the image is uploaded now. Let me know if you decide that you want to use it.
OK, thanks! I'll check my PMs, get the file. I think the install went OK, have no reason to think it's pirated, hacked, has a virus, a key reader or anything. I installed MSE and a quick scan found nothing. However, I'll be glad to have an ISO I can believe in!

Edit: I don't see a PM, could you give me the link? Thanks!

Last edited by Muse; 01-03-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
Chiefcrowe
Diamond Member

If I were you i'd use the official ISO that Fardringle sent you, won't take that much time to reinstall from it.

Quote:
OK, thanks! I'll check my PMs, get the file. I think the install went OK, have no reason to think it's pirated, hacked, has a virus, a key reader or anything. I installed MSE and a quick scan found nothing. However, I'll be glad to have an ISO I can believe in!

Edit: I don't see a PM, could you give me the link? Thanks!
Chiefcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefcrowe View Post
If I were you i'd use the official ISO that Fardringle sent you, won't take that much time to reinstall from it.
I'm waiting on the link. Thanks.
- - - -
While we're on the subject of XP installs, I have a question. Is there any problem activating if I use the same key for multi-booting the same machine? Do you have to call them up to get them to accept it?

Last edited by Muse; 01-03-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
The Dell install might not work with a non-manufacturer specific OEM key (what I have, I believe, looking at the COA), according to the site where I got the ISO I installed today:

Last edited by Muse; 01-03-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
Muse
Lifer

duplicate
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #22
dave_the_nerd
Diamond Member

Check these.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...Untouched-ISOs)

Windows Gaming Box: AsRock Z77E-ITX / i5-3570k @ 4GHz / 8GB RAM / GTX 660Ti / Samsung EVO 250GB / Seagate Momentus 750GB / Silverstone SG05.
NAS: Foxconn D-70S-P (Celeron 1037U) / 4GB DDR3 / 4x Toshiba DT01ACA200, 1x DT01ACA300, 1x DT01ABA200, / Fractal Node 804.
dave_the_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_the_nerd View Post
Very interesting. The information is plentiful and complex. It's not clear to me that the files are still available. Near the bottom of that long post in bold it says:

Unfortunately, as of today the mediafire account is suspended
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
Arkaign
Lifer

Quote:
The Dell install might not work with a non-manufacturer specific OEM key (what I have, I believe, looking at the COA), according to the site where I got the ISO I installed today:

I've used the Dell SP3 XP Pro CD for many many XP installs with varying non-Dell OEM keys before with no problems. Occassionally it won't auto-activate, so I call and it activates.

If you use it on a Dell with the right config, it skips activation process entirely or does it automatically, if you use it on another unit, it won't, and you have to put it in manually, which seems to work great.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #25
andy2000

I've had some luck installing from the wrong CD, an then changing the key with Microsoft's key update tool. Some CDs are better than others about which keys they will accept after install, but they are usually more tolerant than during install.

If you install from a Dell CD, it will automatically use the Dell OEM key which won't activate on a non-Dell PC (it won't even ask you for the key). You may be able to change the key to the correct one and have it activate.
andy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote