· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
think2

Default how to use syslog watcher with tplink router W8960N

I have a long-standing problem with my broadband internet connection where once every few weeks it has a "bad day" and drops the connection a lot. I've replaced the modem with a TPLINK W8960N and the local phone company have installed a splitter and they have also swapped me to a different pair of wires that go to the cabinet a couple of blocks away where the connection changes to fibre.

I've discovered that the router has a diagnostics logging option which lets me log errors to a local queue and also to a remote device. I've installed syslog watcher from snmpsoft on my PC but I can't get any messages to appear in the syslog watcher window.

I don't know how to configure syslog watcher to get this to work. My router lets me configure an IP address for remote logging and a UDP port. The UDP port defaults to 514 and matches what syslog watcher is expecting. What IP address am I supposed to put? IPConfig tells me the "Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection" has an IPV4 address of 192.168.15.100 and a default gateway of 192.168.15.1. I've tried both of these and neither seem to work.

In syslog watcher, I start it in the mode "manage local syslog server" - is that correct? - or should I run it as a "standalone application" ?

On the router, I can see messages such as "kernel intrusion" turning up in the log but nothing appears in the syslog watcher window. Any ideas how to get it working?
think2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
snmpsoft

Default Most likely, Windows firewall blocks incoming UDP/514 traffic

1. You should allow incoming UDP:514 traffic in Windows firewall settings. It's blocked by default.

2. Make sure that "UDP:514" label in the status bar is black. Red color means some issues.

The "manage local syslog server" mode is intended to use/configure a dedicated Windows service for collecting syslogs. While the "standalone application" is for quick tests, as it uses built-in syslog server implementation (does not affect any service settings).
snmpsoft is offline   Reply With Quote