Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > CPUs and Overclocking

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #26
eelw
Diamond Member
 
eelw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm625 View Post
Intel wants apple or someone to swoop in and steal the desktop market. If they keep screwing around, somebody is going to eat their lunch.
Even all of them combined, they don't have the volume to be able to match Intel desktop/laptop sales to wipe them out in one big swoop?
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
(\__/)(\__/)
(='.'=)(='.'=)
(")_(")(")_(")
eelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #27
Bubba77
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 35
Default

Now im finding it harder to resist a 3770k when microcenter has them for 229 plus additional savings on the samsung 840 ssds when purchased with a cpu.
__________________
i7 4770k stock/asRock exteme 4 z87
Corsair H60 watercooler/16GB 1866 memory
AMD 7970 OC/Corsair Force GS 360GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB/Corsair HX850 PS
Antec 1200 V3
Bubba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #28
NTMBK
Diamond Member
 
NTMBK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiniero View Post
Brazos does run at a much higher TDP - 9 W and 18 W. I don't know what happened with Hondo, but if the design wins are only running Windows 8, it's DOA anyway.
They've only been at the TDP disadvantage since Intel's shrink to 32nm- their Pineview Atoms were both hotter and slower. Their Cedarview Atoms are merely slower. Given that Ontario is on the 40nm node, it's still doing very nicely against Atom. (And that TDP will only be hit under full load; I'm not sure how power draw until normal workloads compares.)

Temash should be interesting- AMD finally get that 28nm shrink they need, they integrated the FCH for further power savings, they get GCN graphics to make GPGPU offloading work better (hopefully a full HSA design), the cores clock faster and have more execution resources. (Floating point vectors go from 64 to 128 bit, which should make a serious difference in float-vector heavy applications like games.) They just need to ship the damn thing!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
I like my VRMs how I like my hookers, hot and Taiwanese.
NTMBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
inf64
Platinum Member
 
inf64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
They've only been at the TDP disadvantage since Intel's shrink to 32nm- their Pineview Atoms were both hotter and slower. Their Cedarview Atoms are merely slower. Given that Ontario is on the 40nm node, it's still doing very nicely against Atom. (And that TDP will only be hit under full load; I'm not sure how power draw until normal workloads compares.)

Temash should be interesting- AMD finally get that 28nm shrink they need, they integrated the FCH for further power savings, they get GCN graphics to make GPGPU offloading work better (hopefully a full HSA design), the cores clock faster and have more execution resources. (Floating point vectors go from 64 to 128 bit, which should make a serious difference in float-vector heavy applications like games.) They just need to ship the damn thing!
Yeah ,Kabini and Temash look very tasty! They just need to launch it asap and not wait Q3 next year... If it (Kabini at least) comes at the end of Q1 , it would make a nice impact on their balance sheet for 2013.
__________________
ShintaiDK:"There will be no APU in PS4 and Xbox720."
ShintaiDK:"No quadchannel either.[in Kaveri]"
CHADBOGA:"Because he[OBR] is a great man."
inf64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #30
zlejedi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 229
Default

Somehow sitting on 4,5 Ghz 2500K i don't feel much need to upgrade to Haswell.
zlejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #31
Rifter
Diamond Member
 
Rifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,501
Default

Well normally this wouldnt bother me much but since ive been waiting for a worthwhile upgrade to my current bloomfield chip for 3 years now and was hoping haswell would be it this does bother me.

To bad AMD is so far behind, you can bet if they had something out that could compete with intel we would be seeing haswell for sale Q1.
__________________
i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 1.35V -- Asus P6X58D-E -- Noctua NH-D14 -- Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600Mhz
SLI GTX 460 860Mhz -- Intel 120GB G2 SSD -- 2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 1TB in RAID 0
Corsair 850w TX PSU -- Corsair 600T case -- WD Green 2TB -- Seagate LP 2TB

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
gammaray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
Well normally this wouldnt bother me much but since ive been waiting for a worthwhile upgrade to my current bloomfield chip for 3 years now and was hoping haswell would be it this does bother me.

To bad AMD is so far behind, you can bet if they had something out that could compete with intel we would be seeing haswell for sale Q1.

if you have the cash, why wait for haswell? ivy bridge will do anything your computer needs to do!
gammaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #33
scooterlibby
Senior Member
 
scooterlibby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 721
Default

Bummer for me. The new 2560x1440 monitor has finally made my PC start hiccoughing in games. I would benefit more from a hypothetical GTX780 for that issue, but I've been pretty keen on Falcon Northwest's Tiki models and am finally ready to let somebody else build my computer. I'd like a next gen CPU/GPU package in line with my 'every two years' upgrading pattern, so I wait...


Hurry up!!
__________________
2500k @4.3|Noctua NH-C14|EVGA GTX 690|ASUS P8 P67 Deluxe|Crucial C300 256gb SSD| 8 gigs Ripjaw DDR3 1333|Antec CP-1000w PSU|Antec 1200 Case|Auria 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor

Origin Id: austin_erik

Last edited by scooterlibby; 01-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.
scooterlibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
Rifter
Diamond Member
 
Rifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaray View Post
if you have the cash, why wait for haswell? ivy bridge will do anything your computer needs to do!
Depending on how much of a overclock i get ona IB chip its not going to be much faster than my 4.2Ghz i7 930.

At least haswell offers me AVX2.
__________________
i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 1.35V -- Asus P6X58D-E -- Noctua NH-D14 -- Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600Mhz
SLI GTX 460 860Mhz -- Intel 120GB G2 SSD -- 2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 1TB in RAID 0
Corsair 850w TX PSU -- Corsair 600T case -- WD Green 2TB -- Seagate LP 2TB

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!

Last edited by Rifter; 01-01-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #35
TridenT
Lifer
 
TridenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,697
Default

God damn it. This is KILLING ME.

I've been sitting on a C2D E7200 (And before that, a E6300 which was arguably faster because I could achieve a 100% OC on it and then I sold that machine...) since 2008.

Wish I waited for the 920 to come out back in the day.

How much performance increase do you all speculate?
__________________
I'm a feminist!
TridenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
Rifter
Diamond Member
 
Rifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
God damn it. This is KILLING ME.

I've been sitting on a C2D E7200 (And before that, a E6300 which was arguably faster because I could achieve a 100% OC on it and then I sold that machine...) since 2008.

Wish I waited for the 920 to come out back in the day.

How much performance increase do you all speculate?
Hard to say, the clocks seem to be the same so perhaps only a 5-10% increase per clock over IB.

However anything that uses the AVX2 Instructions should theoretically be 100% faster, so with new instructions being used it will be twice as fast per clock and this will only become more common as more programs switch to using the new instructions.
__________________
i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 1.35V -- Asus P6X58D-E -- Noctua NH-D14 -- Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600Mhz
SLI GTX 460 860Mhz -- Intel 120GB G2 SSD -- 2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 1TB in RAID 0
Corsair 850w TX PSU -- Corsair 600T case -- WD Green 2TB -- Seagate LP 2TB

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #37
Homeles
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,510
Default

That only works if the applications need the extra bandwidth...
Homeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #38
Rifter
Diamond Member
 
Rifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post
That only works if the applications need the extra bandwidth...
obviously this is correct, however for most of the demanding desktop tasks(such as encoding) more bandwidth almost always means better performance.
__________________
i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 1.35V -- Asus P6X58D-E -- Noctua NH-D14 -- Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600Mhz
SLI GTX 460 860Mhz -- Intel 120GB G2 SSD -- 2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 1TB in RAID 0
Corsair 850w TX PSU -- Corsair 600T case -- WD Green 2TB -- Seagate LP 2TB

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #39
ebberz
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 36
Default

Just wondering how many people will be buying in June and how many will be waiting a couple of revisions (including motherboard) before making a purchase?

Does anyone know based on past experience how long it takes from the original release to a version that most people are happy with? I know it's all going to depend on the product but history shows that the first release always has teething issues and as it's also a new socket there's the added factor of motherboard stability.

I'm thinking if it's a June release and then say a couple of months for revisions I could be looking at August for an upgrade.

Thanks
ebberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #40
cytg111
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,344
Default

depends on whether the virtualization extentions are broken or not. If not, i could be an early jumper.
__________________
404
cytg111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #41
WhoBeDaPlaya
Diamond Member
 
WhoBeDaPlaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaray View Post
if you have the cash, why wait for haswell? ivy bridge will do anything your computer needs to do!
4.5GHz IVB = ~5.1GHz Nehalem
4.5GHz HW = ~5.6GHz Nehalem

I "cheated". My office rig was misbehaving (X4 940 @ 3.6GHz), so I dipped my beak in the IVB water while still keeping my 920 rig
__________________
BlueSmoke.net
Silverstone Temjin TJ09S - i7 4770K @ 4.55GHz - MSI Z87-GD65 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 CL9 - MSI Twin Frozr 780 - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - BFG EX-1000 - Antec Kuhler 920 - 6x Noctua NF-P12 - Samsung 840 500GB - Samsung F3 1TB - OptiArc 7261S - Logitech G19 - 2x Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Clevo w230ss - i7 4810MQ - 16GB GSkill 1600 CL9 - GTX 860M - Crucial M500 240GB - Hitachi Travelstar 7200 1TB

Last edited by WhoBeDaPlaya; 01-03-2013 at 03:05 AM.
WhoBeDaPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #42
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 10,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebberz View Post
Just wondering how many people will be buying in June and how many will be waiting a couple of revisions (including motherboard) before making a purchase?

Does anyone know based on past experience how long it takes from the original release to a version that most people are happy with? I know it's all going to depend on the product but history shows that the first release always has teething issues and as it's also a new socket there's the added factor of motherboard stability.

I'm thinking if it's a June release and then say a couple of months for revisions I could be looking at August for an upgrade.

Thanks
I always buy on release day. Never had an issue.
__________________
Anandtech forums=Xtremesystems forums
ShintaiDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #43
NTMBK
Diamond Member
 
NTMBK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintaiDK View Post
I always buy on release day. Never had an issue.
Didn't you get bitten by Cougar Point?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
I like my VRMs how I like my hookers, hot and Taiwanese.
NTMBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #44
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 10,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
Didn't you get bitten by Cougar Point?
No. With SB it was funny enough only a new Lenovo T420 laptop we got. (Without bug)

But the not buy on release day or 2 months later is abit silly mentality. A bug can just as well be discovered 3, 6 or 12+ months later.
__________________
Anandtech forums=Xtremesystems forums

Last edited by ShintaiDK; 01-03-2013 at 06:17 AM.
ShintaiDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #45
Fjodor2001
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintaiDK View Post
But the not buy on release day or 2 months later is abit silly mentality. A bug can just as well be discovered 3, 6 or 12+ months later.
Sure, but usually the most serious and common ones are found in the first few months. But if you want to wait for that, you should also add some months for the manufacturer to fix the problem, and then some additional months for the new HW revision to make it through the delivery channels and past inventory storage. So then you might as well wait 6 months or so in total from the release date.

And then it's only half a year until next years CPU generation is released...
Fjodor2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #46
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 10,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2001 View Post
Sure, but usually the most serious and common ones are found in the first few months. But if you want to wait for that, you should also add some months for the manufacturer to fix the problem, and then some additional months for the new HW revision to make it through the delivery channels and past inventory storage. So then you might as well wait 6 months or so in total from the release date.

And then it's only half a year until next years CPU generation is released...
Exactly. Or next generation GPUs etc
__________________
Anandtech forums=Xtremesystems forums
ShintaiDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #47
NTMBK
Diamond Member
 
NTMBK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintaiDK View Post
No. With SB it was funny enough only a new Lenovo T420 laptop we got. (Without bug)

But the not buy on release day or 2 months later is abit silly mentality. A bug can just as well be discovered 3, 6 or 12+ months later.
Nice bit of luck there It's a shame that people have had their impressions of Intel motherboards spoiled by the incident, they seem pretty good. I was doing some fixing on my parents' ancient socket 478 Pentium 4 over the holidays, and Intel still have all the documentation and drivers for the board available over a decade later. It's seriously impressive support.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
I like my VRMs how I like my hookers, hot and Taiwanese.
NTMBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.