Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #26
senttoschool
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist420 View Post
It's really infuriating because only the brightest people will be able to say they aren't net tax consumers. People will be able to work their asses off then they'll still be net tax consumers and they won't enjoy life because the quality of it will be so much lower.

If you work, chances are you're benefiting from the Federal govt and if you don't work your relatives or friends aren't taking care of you because the US govt will artificially (and forcefully) boost the quality (and length) of your life.

Surely the Democrats realize that this isn't sustainable. I think they plan to trap the commoners (which would include me) and go Joseph Stalin on them... it is most unfortunate that there is nothing I can do about it. If I get a job, then I'll be accepting stolen money because every fucking business gets a god damn govt contract and even if I work for a non-subsidized business... I'll still have to accept stolen money because I'm not smart enough to be outside the scope of Obamacare.

If I don't get a job, then I'll be accepting stolen money once my parents' savings are inflated away.

Dr. Paul was the last good chance America had. Unfortunately, the Restoration of America was rejected and the Destruction of America was accepted.
I pay taxes and I'm not on well-fare. Yes, there are a lot of dumb people who aren't capable of working and people who are just lazy. But there are a lot of people who work extremely hard but are just less fortunate. It's nearly impossible to distinguish between the two: hard workers who are just less fortunate or lazy fucks who don't work even though they are capable. I'm almost certain that both the GOP and democrats wish they can figure out who really needs help and who's faking it.

Here's some food for thought: if the GOP doesn't pass laws to give more money to the rich, then there'd be less people on welfare. If there's more economic equality, then there would be less demand for welfare.

Here's another thought: GOP has historically favored military over education. If students are more educated, then they are less likely to end up useless. If students are more educated, then America will continue to lead in technology which means America will continue to have the best and most jobs.

Here's how America's domination can end: Rich starves the middle/lower class and even some of the low end upper class - creating a country dependent on welfare. Government cuts money in education so the next generation of kids cannot compete with international students. All of this is happening while too much attention is spent debating on things like abortion, stem cell research, gay marriage, gun laws. Hey people, getting rid of abortion/gay marriage rights aren't going to help America's economy. America's is slowly but surely heading this way. It's too obvious. Anyone with half a brain can see it.

Last edited by senttoschool; 12-31-2012 at 09:44 PM.
senttoschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #27
kage69
Diamond Member
 
kage69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump553 View Post
What surprises me most about this troll thread is the number of tea baggers that apparently accept OP's flaky premise of the day as gospel truth.

<--- been a democrat most of my adult life (40+ years), never been on welfare or anything like it and have actively avoided/declined public sector benefits available to me.

I just came full circle with that post, thanks.

I'm friends with a pair of brothers in Maine who are the biggest Fox watching, Bush loving, GOP voting rednecks that state may have to offer, yet both are proud at how they purposefully have used state assistance and unemployment in lieu of actual employment just because they wanted to take entire seasons off. I think they are regretting that LePage vote!
__________________
"It will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawal!"

-Winston Churchill
kage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #28
Anarchist420
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by senttoschool View Post
Yes, there are a lot of dumb people who aren't capable of working and people who are just lazy. But there are a lot of people who work extremely hard but are just less fortunate. It's nearly impossible to distinguish between the two: hard workers who are just less fortunate or lazy fucks who don't work even though they are capable. I'm almost certain that both the GOP and democrats wish they can figure out who really needs help and who's faking it. Here's some food for thought: if the GOP doesn't pass laws to give more money to the rich, then there'd be less people on welfare. If there's more economic equality, then there would be less demand for welfare. Here's another thought: GOP has historically favored military over education. If students are more educated, then they are less likely to end up useless. If students are more educated, then America will continue to lead in technology which means America will continue to have the best and most jobs. Here's how America's domination can end: Rich starves the middle/lower class and even some of the low end upper class - creating a country dependent on welfare. Government cuts money in education so the next generation of kids cannot compete with international students. All of this is happening while too much attention is spent debating on things like abortion, stem cell research, gay marriage, gun laws. Hey people, getting rid of abortion/gay marriage rights aren't going to help America's economy. America's is slowly but surely heading this way. It's too obvious. Anyone with half a brain can see it.
The point is that there should be no welfare state because that stuff can be provided voluntarily.
Anarchist420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #29
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist420 View Post
The point is that there should be no welfare state because that stuff can be provided voluntarily.
Exactly, But we have way too many morons in this country who dont understand this
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #30
HomerJS
Diamond Member
 
HomerJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
The democrats and their pos supporters want everyone on welfare so they are dependent on them and vote for them.

Look what they have done to many black people, make them dependent on democrats so they can get votes
What really happened was the Republican Party was stupid enough to take in stupid Democratic southern racists. Before that the GOP got almost 40% of the black vote.

Republicans are so stupid as a party not only did they keep these people, to this day they make a comfortable home for them.

Try reading a book so you aren't depandant on Rush Limbaugh for your history.
HomerJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #31
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJS View Post
What really happened was the Republican Party was stupid enough to take in stupid Democratic southern racists. Before that the GOP got almost 40% of the black vote.

Republicans are so stupid as a party not only did they keep these people, to this day they make a comfortable home for them.

Try reading a book so you aren't depandant on Rush Limbaugh for your history.
You completely ignored the part about the democrats destroying the black family but that doesn't matter as long as they offer aa and welfare along with subsidizing everyone right?
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #32
shadow9d9
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,133
Default

They aren't. Next?
shadow9d9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 AM   #33
piasabird
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,373
Default

More democratic voters. They want to be just like spain.
__________________
Asus Memo Pad 7 HD. Quad Core Tablet.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #34
piasabird
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,373
Default

Just open up some labor camps where we can send all the welfare slaves.
__________________
Asus Memo Pad 7 HD. Quad Core Tablet.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #35
Modular
Diamond Member
 
Modular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Intarwebz
Posts: 4,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintaiDK View Post
Welfare is a simple need for those less fortune for whatever reason that might be. Nobody wants people on welfare. Just as nobody want unemployed people, natural disasters, diseases and other similar things. But that doesnt mean its not a part of life and something that needs to be dealt with.
So it's governments job to make a level playing field? Never gonna happen, sorry. That's just a fact of life.
__________________
quote:
Originally posted by: waggy
i wanted to make fun of you on this. but being a noob sucks.
Modular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #36
sportage
Diamond Member
 
sportage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Im right behind you. BOO!
Posts: 4,554
Default

We don't want anyone on welfare, but if and when bad things happen to good people, we want a safety net in place. Democrats maybe have built that safety net, but it was republican policies responsible for pushing people into that net. Reagan vs unions, Paul Ryan vs social security, Mitt Romney loving his tax evasion.
You make the call just whom is to blame?

And speaking of Reagan... how about the so called historical event that was in fact total BS. Reagan being #1 of late. Reagan never had it in his little pea like brain to call for that "wall" to be torn down. Fact is, Gorbachev intended to tear that wall down far before Reagan spoke those words. But Gorbachev knowing that make believe cowboy all too well, and how play acting was that cowboys number one desire, Gorbachev offered Reagan full credit. For a price. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. And thus those famed words "tear this wall down", as Gorbachev sat by with a smirk on his face. Was that Gorbachev smirk knowing all too well that Reagan would fall for the deal, or was it that Gorbachev knew Americans were just stupid enough to believe it?
Either way, worth a big a big Gorbachev smirk.
And thus again, history and the BIG misconception.
sportage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
HomerJS
Diamond Member
 
HomerJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
You completely ignored the part about the democrats destroying the black family but that doesn't matter as long as they offer aa and welfare along with subsidizing everyone right?
Yeah because we all know black people are lazy and shiftless, unlike you enterprising white boys!

You real name is Charles Murray, isn't it?
HomerJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #38
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJS View Post
Yeah because we all know black people are lazy and shiftless, unlike you enterprising white boys!

You real name is Charles Murray, isn't it?
I never said black people are lazy and why do you ASSume that I am white?

Good job ignoring the question, your democrat owners must be proud
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #39
marvdmartian
Diamond Member
 
marvdmartian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstar7 View Post
I don't understand. Why don't you vote Democrat? You rely on the government just like everyone else in this country AND you voluntarily pay taxes to support it.
There's a HUGE difference between relying on the government to provide highways, tax commerce and stand up an army, and DEPENDING on the government to provide your way of life.

EVERYONE relies on the federal government for some things. You twist that to infer that everyone is dependent on government, to provide housing, food, etc, which simply isn't the case.

Welfare is the modern form of slavery, where you keep a segment of people relatively quiet and subservient, by providing for their way of life, and threatening them that if they don't vote for you, the other guy will take it all away.
__________________
Earth obstructs my view of Venus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
So you're saying that it's like putting the mashed potatoes on top of the cake BEFORE you do the dishes? I get it now! Good point!
heatware
marvdmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #40
ModerateRepZero
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist420 View Post
The point is that there should be no welfare state because that stuff can be provided voluntarily.
Voluntarily.....*snort*. I'm sure churches are overflowing with monetary and food donations, and every parent who has money also has some willingness to help any unfortunate child or friend (obligation, generosity, guilt, etc).....

/end sarcasm
__________________
If you're interested in applying for federal government jobs: http://www.usajobs.gov/
ModerateRepZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #41
DucatiMonster696
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintaiDK View Post
Welfare is a simple need for those less fortune for whatever reason that might be. Nobody wants people on welfare. Just as nobody want unemployed people, natural disasters, diseases and other similar things. But that doesnt mean its not a part of life and something that needs to be dealt with.
I do agree though that no one wants people on welfare but how we go about not promoting or disincentivizing such a reliance on government is the core issue.

For many this means that to deal with such issues it does not always mean it must be through government intervention which often creates more of what those with good intentions assume they are trying to prevent, e.g. War on Drugs, War on Poverty, War on Terror, etc all have the opposite effects on society and have done little, if anything to stamp out those issues in which government has decided to intervene a wage a "WAR" against.

It easy to say however that no one wants to see other people on welfare but what exactly is government doing (or not doing) to prevent people from being reliant and dependent on those services for the rest of their lives? How is government action actually reducing the amount of people on these services? This is those with good intentions rarely ask themselves or ask government because to often their emotions (fear, guilt, etc) get in the way of addressing the real issues at hand for whatever reasons which motivate them to continue supporting the same actions which only create more of what they claim to not want to see occuring in society.
__________________
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
- Winston Churchill

Last edited by DucatiMonster696; 01-01-2013 at 04:50 PM.
DucatiMonster696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #42
Darwin333
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
The government needs to do certain things so everyone relies on it in some way. I dont voluntarily pay taxes, I am forced to pay taxes or else I can go to jail.
To be fair, you aren't forced to pay taxes. You could always quit making an income and you would not go to jail for not paying taxes.
__________________
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church
-probably not by Ferdinand Magellan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #43
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiMonster696 View Post
I do agree though that no one wants people on welfare but how we go about not promoting or disincentivizing such a reliance on government is the core issue.

for many this means to deal with such issues does not always means it must be through government intervention which often creates more of what those with good intentions assume they are trying to prevent, e.g. War on Drugs, War on Poverty, War on Terror, etc all have opposite effects on society and have done little, if anything to stamp out those issues having government wage "WAR" against.
I disagree, I think corporate oligarchs love people on welfare. It's a way to have the government pay for what they would have to pay for absent of welfare.

Welfare is corporate welfare by proxy.
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #44
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin333 View Post
To be fair, you aren't forced to pay taxes. You could always quit making an income and you would not go to jail for not paying taxes.
Except that I and most people need to make an income to survive, not everyone is that wealthy that they have that option
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #45
Darwin333
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModerateRepZero View Post
Voluntarily.....*snort*. I'm sure churches are overflowing with monetary and food donations, and every parent who has money also has some willingness to help any unfortunate child or friend (obligation, generosity, guilt, etc).....

/end sarcasm
That is the way it used to be.
__________________
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church
-probably not by Ferdinand Magellan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #46
DucatiMonster696
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus503 View Post
I disagree, I think corporate oligarchs love people on welfare. It's a way to have the government pay for what they would have to pay for absent of welfare.

Welfare is corporate welfare by proxy.
Do you vote democrat? I sure as hell don't (then again I haven't voted GOP at the Fed level for a while either). And using your conspiracy theory's logic you'd only be supporting the "corporate oligarchies" wishes by voting for a party that supports welfare.
__________________
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
- Winston Churchill

Last edited by DucatiMonster696; 01-01-2013 at 04:56 PM.
DucatiMonster696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #47
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiMonster696 View Post
Do you vote democrat? I sure as hell don't (then again I haven't voted GOP at the Fed level for a while either). And using your conspiracy theory's logic you'd only be supporting the "corporate oligarchies" wishes by voting for a party that supports welfare.
I do typically vote democrat, but I do so more because of my own denial that things are as bad as they actually are. I don't think it matter one bit who you vote for really.

I don't have conspiracy theory logic, when you have a walmart employee not paid enough for the society in which they live obtaining welfare to subsidize to societal standards, Walmart benefits.

If we ended welfare tomorrow, next month you would see the largest organization of labor in generations, they would be demanding more pay and more benefits. But instead Corporate Oligarchy likes welfare its a nice way for them to keep wages low for profit at the government and tax payer expense.
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #48
HNNstyle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 469
Default

A majority of my family are republicans but they earn a good six figure living off of welfare programs such as medicaid and medicare, so I really don't understand why they're not democrats. I'm guessing they feel that they pay too much taxes.
HNNstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #49
piasabird
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,373
Default

Welfare is destroying the American Family. It was like it was designed to do just that. Is this the thing you are proud of?
__________________
Asus Memo Pad 7 HD. Quad Core Tablet.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #50
lotus503
Diamond Member
 
lotus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piasabird View Post
Welfare is destroying the American Family. It was like it was designed to do just that. Is this the thing you are proud of?
We should end all welfare tomorrow it is after all another corporate subsidy.
__________________
Norco 4224, Supermicro X8DTE
Dual Xeon x5660 hexcores,40gb samsung ddr3
HP SAS Expander, LSI controller
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.