Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Ns1
Lifer
 
Ns1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: A Warm Place
Posts: 43,229
Default Lamb chops. How would ATOT cook these?

Enough with the steak threads! how about a lamb thread?

I would prefer to do these lamb chops on cast iron somehow but am open to suggestions. Chops are between 1.5 - 2" thick.
__________________
Racing KT to NoLifer...a true race to the bottom. I WILL NEVER CONCEDE TO A CANUCK.


Rule 813 bro
Ns1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Newbian
Lifer
 
Newbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,716
Default

Real men eat it raw.

They may die later but that's how you truly live.
Newbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,476
Default

Rack, or individual chops?

Rack - sear in cast iron pan on med-high and finish in oven at 425 till done to your liking with some rosemary, use thermometer, I prefer between medium rare and medium...never past medium

Individual, now seeing the thickness the same

Save that fat and make a pan sauce. Serve with salad with Feta cheese, cucumbers and tomatoes (sliced thin and left to marinade some in vinegrette).

Basically treat it like a steak or thick pork chops, can't go wrong. Start on pan, finish in oven with rosemary.
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Last edited by spidey07; 12-29-2012 at 06:47 PM.
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Fritzo
Lifer
 
Fritzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 37,014
Default

You prepare lamb chops the same ways as you do steak. Be careful not to cook them above medium. I like to season them with salt and rosemary, and use a little port wine to deglaze the pan afterward to make a sauce.
__________________
Also, from now on, I shall refer to you as "Peaches."
Fritzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
sjwaste
Diamond Member
 
sjwaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,767
Default

Treat it like a steak. However, some folks particularly don't like the mineraly taste of lamb if its too prominent. If that's you, marinate first in something that gives it a place to go - like greek yogurt with some chopped fresh herbs. Actually, that's a solid marinade for lamb either way. Probably something you'd do with cubed shoulder/leg, rather than the chops though.

Anyhow, I like them grilled over a very high flame. Get them seared on the outside and just warm in the middle, about 125F. The meat should still yield when poked. Then finish with some olive oil, lemon juice and oregano whisked together and poured over while still hot.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
trmiv
Lifer
 
trmiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 14,549
Default

I use this recipe for lamb shoulder chops.

4 ten to twelve ounce lamb shoulder blade chops, 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch thick
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 lemon
INSTRUCTIONS

Build a fire in your grill.
Dry the chops with paper towels and sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper. When the fire has died down and the coals are hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above the grill surface for 1 to 2 seconds), place the chops on the grill and cook until well seared, 3 to 4 minutes per side. To check for doneness, nick, peek, and cheat: Make a 1/4-inch cut in the thickest part of the meat; it should be slightly less done than you like it. When the chops are done, remove them from the grill, cover them loosely with foil, and let them rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, oregano, and garlic and mix well.
Spoon the garlic mixture over the lamb chops, squeeze the lemon on top of them, and serve hot.
trmiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,476
Default

I LOVE lamb, one my favorites.

There is something about lamb along with cucumbers, onions, feta cheese and tomatoes that is outta this world. You get this nice meaty in your face flavor from the lamb, then a bite of the salad cleanses your pallet, rinse repeat. There is just something about that combination.

For a starch, you really can't go wrong with scalloped potatoes, or roasted red with more rosemary. I prefer scalloped. That's one of our go to and favorite meals.

Rack of lamb
Scalloped potatoes
Cucumber/mater/onion/feta salad
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
bigrash
Lifer
 
bigrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 17,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
I LOVE lamb, one my favorites.

There is something about lamb along with cucumbers, onions, feta cheese and tomatoes that is outta this world. You get this nice meaty in your face flavor from the lamb, then a bite of the salad cleanses your pallet, rinse repeat. There is just something about that combination.

For a starch, you really can't go wrong with scalloped potatoes, or roasted red with more rosemary. I prefer scalloped. That's one of our go to and favorite meals.

Rack of lamb
Scalloped potatoes
Cucumber/mater/onion/feta salad
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,476
Default

Damn this thread. Now I gotta go get some lamb for tomorrow.

To the costco!
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
ponyo
Lifer
 
ponyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,496
Default

The only lamb I want is on a gyro.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
The only lamb I want is on a gyro.
You haven't lived then.
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
ponyo
Lifer
 
ponyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
You haven't lived then.
I'm just not a fan. I don't like duck or goat either. It's just what you're used to.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
I'm just not a fan. I don't like duck or goat either. It's just what you're used to.
I know. I wasn't a fan either till my wife turned my onto it cooked properly.
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
gotsmack
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bloomington, MN - For now
Posts: 5,656
Default

1. Sear in whatever you have thats not teflon and gets real hot. I only have stainless steel and that works fine.
2. paint with a spicy mustard (if you use a sweet mustard it'll be gross, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone liked it that way)
3. coat with your choice of breadcrumbs, panko, almond meal, whatever
4. finish in oven, temperature and time ratio is up to you, but check for doneness with a thermometer
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by: meltdown75
don't take any lip from her. good job on pretending to sleep, i hadn't thought of that yet.
what's in the briefcase? Stupid pills?
-mizzou

Last edited by gotsmack; 12-29-2012 at 09:41 PM.
gotsmack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
gotsmack
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bloomington, MN - For now
Posts: 5,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
I'm just not a fan. I don't like duck or goat either. It's just what you're used to.
Duck is delicious when its not over cooked. The problem is that it goes from good to overcooked before you know it and then it takes on a livery taste.

As for Lamb, you've most likely been eating New Zealand lamb which is gamey, try Colorado lamb which has a nice mild flavor.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by: meltdown75
don't take any lip from her. good job on pretending to sleep, i hadn't thought of that yet.
what's in the briefcase? Stupid pills?
-mizzou
gotsmack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,476
Default

Yeah. Lamb fucked by zee landers isn't so good.
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
TastesLikeChicken
Lifer
 
TastesLikeChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: 4th fairway
Posts: 15,464
Default

When you say lamb chops are you talking about rib chops or the lamb porterhouses that Costco sells? If it's the latter they require a bit of a different cooking method than standard lamb rib chops.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is probably not for you.
TastesLikeChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #18
eits
Lifer
 
eits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: gaithersburg, md
Posts: 24,800
Default

clean the bone, season with olive oil and whatever seasonings you wish and salt, sear, then broil. should be served medium rare to medium.
__________________
Official AnandTech Forums Chiropractic Physician
If you have a question, don't hesitate to PM me and ask.
eits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #19
eits
Lifer
 
eits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: gaithersburg, md
Posts: 24,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsmack View Post
1. Sear in whatever you have thats not teflon and gets real hot. I only have stainless steel and that works fine.
2. paint with a spicy mustard (if you use a sweet mustard it'll be gross, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone liked it that way)
3. coat with your choice of breadcrumbs, panko, almond meal, whatever
4. finish in oven, temperature and time ratio is up to you, but check for doneness with a thermometer
pretty much, except i'd rather stay away from coating it with all that nonsense. olive oil, salt, rosemary, and pepper works perfectly for me.
__________________
Official AnandTech Forums Chiropractic Physician
If you have a question, don't hesitate to PM me and ask.
eits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
eits
Lifer
 
eits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: gaithersburg, md
Posts: 24,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmiv View Post
I use this recipe for lamb shoulder chops.

4 ten to twelve ounce lamb shoulder blade chops, 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch thick
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 lemon
INSTRUCTIONS

Build a fire in your grill.
Dry the chops with paper towels and sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper. When the fire has died down and the coals are hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above the grill surface for 1 to 2 seconds), place the chops on the grill and cook until well seared, 3 to 4 minutes per side. To check for doneness, nick, peek, and cheat: Make a 1/4-inch cut in the thickest part of the meat; it should be slightly less done than you like it. When the chops are done, remove them from the grill, cover them loosely with foil, and let them rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, oregano, and garlic and mix well.
Spoon the garlic mixture over the lamb chops, squeeze the lemon on top of them, and serve hot.
yup. sounds good.
__________________
Official AnandTech Forums Chiropractic Physician
If you have a question, don't hesitate to PM me and ask.
eits is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.