Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > General Hardware

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #26
Gillbot
Lifer
 
Gillbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Probably still at work
Posts: 28,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTRY B 529th FA BN View Post
Who is "we"? Anandtech?
We as in me and my work, not Anandtech.
__________________
My Heatware
Gillbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #27
videogames101
Diamond Member
 
videogames101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 52375
Posts: 6,238
Default

me and my friends get together and car pool the hour drive to the boston MC when we've built up enough demand, saves gas when you split it
__________________
3570K
HD7870 (Tahiti LE)
videogames101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
JerYnkFan
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 152
Default

I've got one 30 minutes from my house and I won't make the trip unless I am in the area or they have a great deal in regards to Newegg/Amazon. Between gas & tolls, the savings sometimes isn't that great although they do charge on 3.5% tax instead of 7%.
JerYnkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #29
mfenn
Elite Member
Super Moderator
General Hardware
 
mfenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
Being in a Microcenter as an adult, is like when I used to visit Toys 'R Us when I was a kid. It's kind of a magical thing.
Another to this. It's worth it to go at least once if you're at all interested in computer parts.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #30
corkyg
Moderator
Peripherals
 
corkyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 24,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillbot View Post
We as in me and my work, not Anandtech.
Awesome! I think Zap would agree - that definitely qualifies as an author's "we." <LOL>

The author's "we", Similar to the editorial "we", is the practice common in scientific literature of referring to a generic third person by we (instead of the more common one or the informal you.

Examples: "By adding four and five, we obtain nine." "We are thus led also to a definition of "time" in physics." – Albert Einstein.

"We" in this sense often refers to "the reader and the author, since the author often assumes that the reader knows and agrees with certain principles or previous theorems for the sake of brevity (or, if not, the reader is prompted to look them up), for example, so that the author does not need to explicitly write out every step of a mathematical proof. This practice is also common in philosophy journals and texts, and comments in computer source code.
__________________
CorkyG - Tucson, AZ

“Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure” - Don Wilder
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #31
Gillbot
Lifer
 
Gillbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Probably still at work
Posts: 28,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
Awesome! I think Zap would agree - that definitely qualifies as an author's "we." <LOL>

The author's "we", Similar to the editorial "we", is the practice common in scientific literature of referring to a generic third person by we (instead of the more common one or the informal you.

Examples: "By adding four and five, we obtain nine." "We are thus led also to a definition of "time" in physics." – Albert Einstein.

"We" in this sense often refers to "the reader and the author, since the author often assumes that the reader knows and agrees with certain principles or previous theorems for the sake of brevity (or, if not, the reader is prompted to look them up), for example, so that the author does not need to explicitly write out every step of a mathematical proof. This practice is also common in philosophy journals and texts, and comments in computer source code.
That was too many words and not enough pictures, so i'll just say huh?
__________________
My Heatware
Gillbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #32
Bman123
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bottom of the map
Posts: 2,927
Default

I hope the service at other MC stores is better then the mayfield heights location. I live 40 minutes from there and only go when I need a CPU as I often save over $50 because I'll see something else I need that is pretty cheap plus I can get it there and not wait 3 days for it to be shipped to me.

The salesmen at Mayfield heights are vultures tho, worst customer service I have ever gotten besides walmart and bestbuy hands down. They don't leave you alone when your looking and some of them don't know jack about building a pc
__________________
gameshare on ps4??
verizon note 2
Vizio E60LI-A3 tv
Bman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #33
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
JackMDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 26,560
Default

As far as my extensive experience with Micro-center goes.

If this is what you need "video card, ram, keyboard, mouse, psu".

Unless you are looking for Expensive Video card and PSU and they happen to be on very good Sale, you are wasting your time and money to go there.


__________________
Jack
Microsoft, MVP - Networking.
JackMDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #34
KentState
Diamond Member
 
KentState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,840
Default

MC has lost a lot of their luster to me. Back in the day, it was one of the few places to go for computer parts. Still remember picking up my first Sound Blaster card from them to play Wing Commander.

There are some good deals, but it's really hit or miss. They also don't carry some key brands which is frustrating.
KentState is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #35
VirtualLarry
Lifer
 
VirtualLarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 26,761
Default

Anyone remember Egghead software? When the Internet came around, they promptly went online-only, and quickly went out of business.

Edit: I should also comment, that "Newegg" has NOTHING to do with "Egghead Software".
__________________
Rig(s) not listed, because I change computers, like some people change their socks.
ATX is for poor people. And 'gamers.' - phucheneh
haswell is bulldozer... - aigomorla
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #36
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member
 
Zap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Somewhere Gillbot can't find me
Posts: 22,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillbot View Post
That was too many words and not enough pictures, so i'll just say huh?
__________________
The best way to future-proof is to save money and spend it on future products. (Ken g6)

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #37
ramj70
Senior Member
 
ramj70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland
Posts: 738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
Anyone remember Egghead software? When the Internet came around, they promptly went online-only, and quickly went out of business.

Edit: I should also comment, that "Newegg" has NOTHING to do with "Egghead Software".
I loved Egghead, I used to buy all my PC games and peripherals from them. Amazon eventually bought the company.
__________________
heatware under ramj70
http://www.heatware.comeval.php?id=20093________________________________________________
Case: NZXT Phantom full tower/PSU: XFX 750W modular/Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H/CPU: I5 3570K/RAM: 16GB Crucial DDR3 1600/Video: MSI Gaming GTX 970/Sound Card: Asus Xonar/Monitor: Asus VX279Q/1TB Crucial SSD/Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
ramj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #38
ElFenix
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Off Topic
 
ElFenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 94,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentState View Post
MC has lost a lot of their luster to me. Back in the day, it was one of the few places to go for computer parts. Still remember picking up my first Sound Blaster card from them to play Wing Commander.

There are some good deals, but it's really hit or miss. They also don't carry some key brands which is frustrating.
have you been to MC in the last couple years? i used to feel the same, that fry's was the only b&m with any deals. now MC has tons of deals and fry's has not much at all.
__________________
I killed and ate the Fun Mod with some jellybeans and a little Chianti.

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.