· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Scarpozzi
Lifer

Default Comparing Tundra to F150 Ecoboost and Sierra 1500 Crew Cabs

I'm looking to buy a truck and have gotten some quotes on 3 trucks. Here's what I've looked at:

2013 F150 Ecoboost Super Crew 4x4 - Front Bench Seat, Backup Camera/Backup Assist, XM/Sync/CD

2013 Tundra SR5 4x4 - Bucket Seats, Backup Camera, XM/Bluetooth/CD

2013 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 - Bucket Seats, XM, Bluetooth, CD

For front leg room, the Sierra is number 1 from what I remember, followed by the Ford, with the Tundra in last place.

For backseat leg room, the Tundra is number 1, the Ford is second, and the GMC is last...with the least comfortable rear seats.

For Power, the Tundra had the most pickup...followed by the Ford, and the GMC was last. It felt like it lagged a little more. As for the engines, the GMC looked like it was the easiest to work on. The 5.3L V8 was very accessible and was a solid design. The F150 Ecoboost looked like it would be a pain to do anything with.

Gas mileage....Ford wins...followed by GMC, then Tundra.

I've ruled Sierra out due to the lack of space in the back seat, but mention it because I like the interior and engine design.

We have a 2011 4Runner. I like it alright. Definitely like how it handles. I've just heard a lot of people say bad and good about Ford and Toyota....wanted to hear more opinions from real people. If you had to get a Tundra Crewmax or an F150 Ecoboost Supercrew, which would you choose?

I've been quoted $36k out the door with taxes and everything on the F150 after I trade ain an old beater I've got and have been quoted $34k for the Tundra SR5 with my trade. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
leper84

I'd go with the F150.

The Tundra's to me seem more like toys than real trucks. Capable off the lot sure. But they don't come with a boxed frame. They don't weld the frame either, they rivet, yes rivet the frame together. They rivet the rear shock mounts to the frame too. I can only imagine after 100-200k miles of actual use what these trucks are gonna be like. They are a step backwards from the last Tundra's IMHO and I think there is a reason why I've never seen any contractor using a Tundra. Toyota's build quality and reliability has been pretty crappy lately too.

Chevy/GMC are a generation behind everyone else. The next gen trucks are only gonna be worse. I would take one over a Tundra for reliability but there isn't much else appealing to them.

Just based off your list the F150 seems like the best compromise. Also, what trim level is it, XLT? Even with 4wd it seems you should be able to do better than 36k. Shop around a little?

Last edited by leper84; 12-29-2012 at 08:59 PM.
leper84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
DominionSeraph
Diamond Member

Didn't the redesigned Ram just win Truck of the Year?

"P&N: Not Quite as Bad as Stormfront"
DominionSeraph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
LTC8K6
Lifer

I'd wait for the 2014MY GM offerings if you can...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...k/viewall.html

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Turin39789
Lifer

Ford for me

"Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity." –Lord Acton
Turin39789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Zivic
Platinum Member

We are on our second tundra (a 2008 and now a 2012). We have a double cab long box setup. the tundra is all about the motor, just a big motor. with our long wheel base, it tows very well. the closest personal comparison I have is with my dad's '09 with the 5.4. the tundra and ford get comparable mileage -> 14-16. I have a good friend that has the new ecoboost and that motor makes lots of power, but mileage beware. From my understanding with towing or any load, mileage goes down considerably. You need to BABY it to get anything better than any other offering.

We have a tundra because their double cab offering is a true 4 door with a usable back seat rather than the suicide offering from ford. We use our trucks (I farm) and I will tell you the tundra will hold up as well as the ford. after 3 yrs of comparable use, the ford has more rattles than the tundra.

I personally wouldn't buy a GM unless maybe an HD, definitely not their half tons. I am not opposed to Rams, but I think Toyota and Ford have the best trucks.

IMHO it comes down to which truck you like the best. You state a supercrew ford setup, so I assume you are talking a crewmax on the tundra. the thing I like about the tundra is you can get a usable backseat without going with the huge doublecab and still have the option of an 8' bed. the turbo ecoboost in the ford makes a lot power and it's easy to squeeze 50+ more hp out of them if you are so inclined. the motor in the tundra is just a big powerful motor and is every bit as powerful as the ford.. a drivers race if you will in terms of acceleration.

You can't go wrong with either truck IMHO, get which one you feel best driving
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
mmntech
Lifer

I've driven both the Sierra and F-150. GMC is your quintessential work truck while the F-150 is the white hat "boss's" truck.

The Sierra/Silverado can take an awful lot of abuse. Though you sacrifice drivability and comfort. There's nothing particularly wrong about it. It's just a no-frills vehicle. It's a truck after all. It looks like one and drives like one. GM really shines with it's work vehicles and if that's what you're using it for, you can't go wrong with this. It's a heavy duty truck.

The F-150 as I said is the boss's truck. Doesn't feel quite as solid as the Sierra in the sense that I wouldn't load it with a half ton of gravel. It's not that you couldn't, but it's just not a truck I'd subject to that kind of abuse on a regular basis. It's very much a weekend warrior truck, especially the SuperCrew cab model. It has the best interior out of the two. Very roomy, comfortable, and just better laid out IMO. Handling is distinctively more SUV like. It's a lot nicer to drive than the Sierra/Silverado. If you're not slugging tools, this is the truck to get.

I'll give a nod to the RAM 1500. In terms of handling, IIRC it's similar to the F-150, and has a similarly appointed interior. Last one I drove was a couple of years ago and while it went like stink, I remember it being a pig on gas. May have been that particular truck since the EPA says they're all equally bad on gas. The extended cab RAM is another weekend warrior truck. Tries to imitate the F-150 too much but comes up short. The Tradesman model is well suited for the job site. Even then I'd pick the Sierra over it.

I haven't driven the Tundra so I can't comment on it.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Do you actually have any need for a truck? They are all very capable vehicles but really not something most people have much need for... unless you're a construction worker.

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
nerp
Diamond Member

Consider the Ram?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Scarpozzi
Lifer

JulesMaximus: My daily driver is a 10 year old sedan...it currently has 137,000 miles on it. I bought it 1 year old and put 125k of those miles on it. I have used it to haul lumber and tools for the past 3 year doing construction on my house and building a boat dock/recreation shelter. This year, I'm going to build an addition on my house and a detached 2 car garage...after or during those projects, I'll be refurbing 2 cabins at the lake. I thought about buying another sedan next year and getting an old beat up truck, but I want 4x4 so I don't get stuck if I drive in certain areas on my property (easily done in a 2wd truck and my neighbor has had to tow me out with his 4x4 before). I've factored that a used 4x4 with high miles is about $4k on top of whatever the cost of the truck is. I'm 6'4" and have a 4 mile commute....driving a truck for a while sounds doable.

LTC8K6: I'm aware that the 2013 Chevy/Sierra line is about to be shut down and retooled for the new 2014 designs. I kind of like the fact that they've been making these for a while...it seems you get less problems when they've had a few years to identify them and make fixes.

Zivic: That's my problem...The F150 to Tundra are very closely priced and have almost the same features. At this point, it's almost all preference and what I remember from the 90's in the Fords was that Quality wasn't necessarily job 1... It makes me reluctant to trust them, even though they didn't take bailout money. The Ford is a heavier truck than the Tundra...doors are slightly heavier, and the tailgate doesn't rattle.

What I don't like about the ford is the dashboard display is a small LCD screen showing fuel economy and whatever other menus. Nice idea, but it looks like it's something that might break in x number of years. The GMC had the same thing, but it was a standard LED backlit screen...something that might last 20+ years. How much will it cost to replace the dash in 20 years when they stop making these trucks? I plan on keeping it as long as I can....so this is a concern to me.

nerp: I considered the RAM, but am not much of a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep fan because of quality issues. My cousin had a 4 door and a Hemi about 10 years ago. He bought the 4 door and traded for the Hemi 2 door shortly after. Both had window motor issues in the first year and small interior problems. If I got a RAM, it'd be with the Cummins engine, but I'd have to be convinced somehow that they've worked on picking better part suppliers. Those are the same reasons I didn't look at Nissan Titan either. (also the Titan is being discontinued)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Jimzz
Platinum Member

I would either get a Chevy, GMC, or Ford. Dodges always seem to playing catch up and Toyotas always have problems as well and they cost more to fix. Major issues toyota just puts it head in the sand and sticks it to the owner unless the Fed Gov steps in.

There was a story on how the Tundra won all these awards but when rated by mechainics later was rated one of the worst trucks. I have worked on enough to skip them. I would rather buy a used Titan over a tundra.

Toyota sells on their name now, not quality. Want a truck to last; buy Chevy, GMC, or Ford.
Jimzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
LTC8K6
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Do you actually have any need for a truck? They are all very capable vehicles but really not something most people have much need for... unless you're a construction worker.
I'm sure we can find a few things you don't need that seem to be at your house for some odd reason. I'm sure you are just storing them for a friend.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I'm sure we can find a few things you don't need that seem to be at your house for some odd reason. I'm sure you are just storing them for a friend.
It was just a question. Wasn't passing judgement. Seems some people buy these trucks with no thought put into it at all. The OP doesn't seem to be one of those people though.

Personally, I'd probably get the Tundra.

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Zivic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpozzi View Post

Zivic: That's my problem...The F150 to Tundra are very closely priced and have almost the same features. At this point, it's almost all preference and what I remember from the 90's in the Fords was that Quality wasn't necessarily job 1... It makes me reluctant to trust them, even though they didn't take bailout money. The Ford is a heavier truck than the Tundra...doors are slightly heavier, and the tailgate doesn't rattle.
we have had a lot of fords -
'94
'97
'00
two '03
'09

the 94 was a POS. complete garbage - electrical issues, trans issues. the newer fords are leaps and bounds better.

the tailgate setup on the tundra has a nicer assist than the ford. it has a lighter feel to it. the inner face to it isn't as heavy duty as the ford, but after 3 yrs of use, the ford assist (not sure if hydraulic or spring) doesn't work on my dad's truck.

the doors on the ford are very heavy. the hinges on the '09 should have been stronger. not sure if this was addressed in the last few years.

We use these trucks much harder than the majority of other owners. we tow, load, drive offroad... and I bet the doors get opened and closed 50+ times a day over the summer.

honestly, pick your preference. what is important to you? specific bells and whistles? interior styling? exterior styling? seats? towing?

Like I said a few times. we went with the tundra because of the doublecab's regular 4 doors and 8' bed. Ford doesn't offer this. My dad got in on a cash for clunkers deal on his ford (2009 FX4 crew cab) so the price was right. honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the trucks today
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Scarpozzi
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
It was just a question. Wasn't passing judgement. Seems some people buy these trucks with no thought put into it at all. The OP doesn't seem to be one of those people though.

Personally, I'd probably get the Tundra.
I wouldn't even consider getting a new truck if the resale for a 4 door, 4x4 wasn't so high (meaning, I can't find one used for a decent price without 100k+ miles). I wouldn't even consider a 4 door if it weren't for how much room a rear facing carseat takes up....I wouldn't consider 4x4 if I didn't drive by the lake where the grass is so slick/deep that a 2wd truck can't get out without good tires and a running start. My front wheel drive car does it fine, but trucks don't have enough weight over the bed to do it.
I'd much rather save $8-13k and get a reg cab 2wd something... What scares me most is losing the bed of the truck for the crew cab and don't know how well it will handle 8+ foot lumber.

Why would you get the Tundra? Just curious...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
MagnusTheBrewer
Lifer

Nobody can beat the F150 power train for the money. I'd get it for the savings in fuel.
MagnusTheBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
Ferzerp
Diamond Member

Quote:
What scares me most is losing the bed of the truck for the crew cab and don't know how well it will handle 8+ foot lumber.
I believe you can only get the gmc with a 5.5' bed with that cab, but the f150 comes with up to a 6.5' bed with the crew cab?
Ferzerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
I wouldn't even consider getting a new truck if the resale for a 4 door, 4x4 wasn't so high (meaning, I can't find one used for a decent price without 100k+ miles). I wouldn't even consider a 4 door if it weren't for how much room a rear facing carseat takes up....I wouldn't consider 4x4 if I didn't drive by the lake where the grass is so slick/deep that a 2wd truck can't get out without good tires and a running start. My front wheel drive car does it fine, but trucks don't have enough weight over the bed to do it.
I'd much rather save $8-13k and get a reg cab 2wd something... What scares me most is losing the bed of the truck for the crew cab and don't know how well it will handle 8+ foot lumber.

I haven't looked at trucks in over a decade but the Tundra just seemed to be quieter inside and better screwed together, more like the Lexus of pickup trucks. I haven't driven the new ones but a friend of mine had one of the last generation 4 door Tundras and I have ridden in it and driven it a few times. It's a really nice truck.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Zivic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
Nobody can beat the F150 power train for the money. I'd get it for the savings in fuel.
from the people I know, you have to get the 5.0 to get the fuel economy. the ecoboost isn't a fuel saver despite what it's rated at.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Zivic
Platinum Member

Quote:
What scares me most is losing the bed of the truck for the crew cab and don't know how well it will handle 8+ foot lumber.

this is where the tundra shines. you can get an extended cab that has 4 regular doors and a usable back seat and still get the 8' box. Granted it is a long truck, but only a few inches longer than a supercrew ford with 6' box
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
MagnusTheBrewer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivic View Post
from the people I know, you have to get the 5.0 to get the fuel economy. the ecoboost isn't a fuel saver despite what it's rated at.
That hasn't been the case with the folks I know. However, the people I know have all used theirs for towing.
MagnusTheBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
Zivic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
That hasn't been the case with the folks I know. However, the people I know have all used theirs for towing.
have a couple good friends that have them. towing smaller loads they are getting 10-12. This is even straight highway. once you get those turbos working, they are sucking gas like crazy. My point is simply -> don't buy one exclusively to save money on gas.

my tundra will tow a 4000 lb car + trailer and get 11-12, even gotten over 13 on longer highway trips.... but you won't really get over 16 unloaded unless you are really easy on the pedal

Another friend actually bought a ford with the 5.0 because of the poor real world mileage he was seeing others getting.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
WackyDan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
I believe you can only get the gmc with a 5.5' bed with that cab, but the f150 comes with up to a 6.5' bed with the crew cab?
Depends on the model of F-150. My FX2 came with the 6.5 bed last year, this year they decided to only offer it in the 5.5 with the Super Crew.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
WackyDan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivic View Post
This. Real world tests showed them the exact same unloaded. The reason you get the Ecoboost is if you need the extra towing capability.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #25
WackyDan
Diamond Member

OP...

Answer this for me...

What is your intended use? Are you going to be towing something? How often? What is the dry and loaded weight of the trailer? Where do you live and how far might you tow?

*What trim level of F-150 are you pricing?

All these things were considerations for me when I bought my 2012 F-150 Super Crew FX-2. I got the 6.5 bed (Not available in 2013 on the Super Crew FX), 3.31 locking axle (for better MPG) and the 5.0 Coyote V8.

I originally thought I wanted the Ecoboost for towing (and I like turbos), but at $850 more and no real difference in MPG in some real world tests published out there - I decided that for the dry and loaded weight of my trailer, that the 5.0 with the 3.31's was going to perform just fine for me towing one weekend month, for 8 months out of the year. My trailer is 5400# dry, and perhaps 6500# loaded. My truck is rated for 7900#.

As for price... My FX-2 was fully decked out - I only left off the NAV ($900 bones for a NAV is pretty stupid), and I left off the sun roof, and tail gate step. I paid $36k out the door(tax, tags, etc) on an almost $43k truck. Took a month of working with the dealer but that extra time was worth the savings.

I looked at the RAMs but the quad cabs sucked for placing a rear facing child seat and the Crew Cab on the Ram limited you to a 5' 7" box... Interiors on the RAM's were the best I looked at as far as design and storage.

The GM's didn't interest me as they were already an old design, interiors sucked... Engines were not too efficient.

The Toyotas I did like. Liked the interiors, but I believe bed length was also limited in the Crew style cabs... and while their engine was brawny, the MPG of it was behind the times.

Ford just seemed to have the best generation of engine out at the time, and I felt like I was getting more options for my money even if the F-150 was about $1500 more than the RAM I was thinking about buying... for that extra $1500 I got far more goodies like leather, heated and cooled seats, and better MPG to help pay for it all.

I get 22 MPG on the highway with the 5.0. Towing my trailer I get around 9 MPG. It is hard to compare one trailer to another by weight alone as my trailer is extra tall and 8.5 wide so I think I am pulling against more air than some trailers. I had expected to get 10 or maybe 11 MPG based on the F-150 forums... but I never expected to get good MPG towing so I don't really care.

Here is a video of my truck... So answer my questions above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlZKOkQ-Igc