· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
computerbuildin

Default Windows 7 90+ updates failed for the 3rd time. WHAT IS GOING ON

So on the first day where it started, a thing popped up on my taskbar that said windows has to install important updates blah blah. So later on when im done, it starts installing the updates. All 107 of them. I thought that was insane but I have seen that many or more before. The next time I turned my computer on it did the "Configuring Windows Updates: 0% complete" process. It sticks at 0% every time now. After that it says failed updates, reverting changes. After that loads it just welcomes me and im in windows like nothing happened. Once im in it does the same blurb, windows 7 has important updates to install next time you shut down your computer. This is the 4th time im typing this, and it will probably fail the 4th time I boot in. I went into see exactly what these important updates were. About 90 of them are ALL security updates, the rest are just some tiny things like internet explorer (Which is somehow marked as important, pfftt) I have pictures if I have to upload them. Another note is that it started as 107 updates, then 93, now 94 if I remember correctly. I also noticed in windows updates that 1 or 2 are unchecked which would probably explain that. So windows is also trying to figure out how its failing itself. I can tell that this will fail again, and the updates look pretty important but I just want them GONE ALREADY. So can anyone tell me whats going on here?
Intel DP67BG | Intel i5 2500k at 4.1 GHz | XFX 7970 DD Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600 MHz(Blue) | Corsair AX850 Gold | Samsung 840 PRO 256gb | WD Blue 500gb | NZXT Phantom | Coolermaster V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
my name borat and I think this is very lucrative gypsy business.
computerbuildin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
SaurusX

Have you tried this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

In particular, the Run Windows Update Troubleshooter section. It fixed my update problems on Windows 8.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
computerbuildin

I just ran the troubleshoot problems on windows updater, and it said there was a problem, and it fixed it. The "problem" was windows update components apparently. Ill find out if this works the next time I turn my computer on. Thanks.
Intel DP67BG | Intel i5 2500k at 4.1 GHz | XFX 7970 DD Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600 MHz(Blue) | Corsair AX850 Gold | Samsung 840 PRO 256gb | WD Blue 500gb | NZXT Phantom | Coolermaster V8
Quote:
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
computerbuildin

Did the troubleshooter, installed all 93 updates again, shut it off. It still had the same problem. Great. Anyway the system restore wouldnt work considering I have no good restore points before these updates. I recently got an SSD(that wouldnt be the reason for this, im pretty sure) and did a whole another setup. This would make you think I could just do the in place upgrade option, but the answer is also no. I finally finished installing all my loads of stuff and really dont want to go through hours of reinstalling and other things again. I can try the troubleshooter again, if that doesnt work, ill install different updates at different points and see which ones are bad. Cause 1 or more are failing all of them here.
Quote:
Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
compman25
Diamond Member

It's usually one random update that keeps screwing it up. I just had 2 systems do the same thing and it was 2 different updates causing the problem. The solution for me was to select a few updates at a time and start installing them that way. When I got to the group that failed I'd install them one at a time until I got to the one that failed. After that I would select all the rest of the updates and install them all and they all installed fine and I just ignored the one that caused the failures.
compman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
wirednuts
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compman25 View Post
It's usually one random update that keeps screwing it up. I just had 2 systems do the same thing and it was 2 different updates causing the problem. The solution for me was to select a few updates at a time and start installing them that way. When I got to the group that failed I'd install them one at a time until I got to the one that failed. After that I would select all the rest of the updates and install them all and they all installed fine and I just ignored the one that caused the failures.
this, and why the F windows updater doesnt do this for you is just stupid.
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
kleinkinstein
Banned

107 updates! Should I laugh at you, or cry for you? Might be time for you to slipstream?
kleinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Matt1970
Lifer

Try your updates in batches of 10 at a time. It is rare but I have seen some updates that just will not install on some machines, I just hide them and move on. Windows update will also give you an error code. Google that and see what you come up with.
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
happysmiles

time to format.
happysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
computerbuildin

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmiles View Post
time to format.

lolno. This still would be easily fixed and last ever worst idea option would be to format. Anyway thanks guys for your help, I went along with my idea/a few others and did them in small groups at a time, it all worked out. No more updates for me.
Quote: